A few chores to do before getting pics of the babies and posting them. If I sit down for 1 minute and open up my 420 Magazine app, it's all over. 2 hours later, I'll have forgotten what to-do item I was working on.

Current mission is to re-hang the Bestva (@GrowTina ) lights. I'm going to put a Pro 1000 up front on the right and the other in the back right. I did some modifications (not pretty but functional) to the hangers. I wanted to maximize the potential canopy space. I may be able to get them closer than 9 inches, but for now it should be fine

Baby updates a little bit later...

Decent work on the light cables, using 2 hangers like you did will help keep the panel hanging straight due to the power cord pulling on it. I forgot to go to the hardware store and get clamps earlier. I'll just reuse the cables they came with. I can likely make an extra set with how long the cables were on my 2nd panel lol

Decent work on the light cables, using 2 hangers like you did will help keep the panel hanging straight due to the power cord pulling on it. I forgot to go to the hardware store and get clamps earlier. I'll just reuse the cables they came with. I can likely make an extra set with how long the cables were on my 2nd panel lol
Yeah, I made the hangers entirely with the cables the lights came with. Lol. There is PLENTY!

I was wondering if going into the tent when I normally have their lights off is a big deal at this time? I wanted to get in there for update pics and do some more setting up but it was lights out. I decided to leave them be until tomorrow morning. Curios though if it is only in flower that I need to worry about abrupt light cycle changes.

Yeah, I made the hangers entirely with the cables the lights came with. Lol. There is PLENTY!

I was wondering if going into the tent when I normally have their lights off is a big deal at this time? I wanted to get in there for update pics and do some more setting up but it was lights out. I decided to leave them be until tomorrow morning. Curios though if it is only in flower that I need to worry about abrupt light cycle changes.
Hey @BakedARea them lights are looking spiffy I love the green they went with! But your question on abrupt light changes in flower I might be able to help ya out. But I've opened my tents up for split seconds if needed to just didn't turn on any main grow lighting in the process. I wouldn't do to much opening up during dark periods tho because they are very sensitive to light and one stretchy strain I've been growin on lately gets the hint the first night of 12/12 that their has been a environmental light change. I have signs up just in case anyone decides to open that reads while dark period is at play shove away haha!

It is possible to still stress a plant during the veg stage but its not as big of a deal as when in flower. If you're just snapping pics, turn a light on outside of the room/tent just enough so you can see and make your camera focus, then turn on the flash. Lots of people take dark time flowering pics and don't seem to have issues, but I myself try to stay out atighys off, especially in flower.

DAY 4 UPDATE

Some quick pics of the babies! If you had to guess, how long before I uppot them?

I am guessing at least a couple weeks right? I'll be going into 1 gallon containers next. After that, I was thinking a 3 gal squat. And then finish them in the 7 gallon fabric pots. Thoughts?

I need to make some new soil for the final pots. I was going to start cooking it with the @GeoFlora Nutrients too. Guesses on when I could expect to be into their final containers?

For the soil and nutrients, I will be dedicating one of these ladies to my labor intensive and time consuming amendments process. The rest of them, I am leaving up to @GeoFlora Nutrients to take care of everything for me. I have high expectations. Based on the wisdom I'm reading from much better growers than I am, their plants are doing incredible! Some of the pictures I have seen have me drooling with anticipation of what my crop will look like.

Speaking of pot...Yesterday, I found the perfect pot for special #5! I can't show it off yet, but I'm sure she will be in it, in no time!

Growth difference due to container difference? Or phenotype difference?

Petite but stout!

"El Especial Numero Cinco"
Ohhh...my imagination has something beautiful planned for you!

them lights are looking spiffy I love the green they went with!
I really like them so far. I like the design and look of them. I have a couple criticism on the lights but for the value, I should have bought 2 more to have just in case or for future tents (mothers and clones).
I have signs up just in case anyone decides to open that reads while dark period is at play shove away haha!
I like that idea! I may just make a sign that just says... SHOVE AWAY!
It is possible to still stress a plant during the veg stage but its not as big of a deal as when in flower. If you're just snapping pics, turn a light on outside of the room/tent just enough so you can see and make your camera focus, then turn on the flash. Lots of people take dark time flowering pics and don't seem to have issues, but I myself try to stay out atighys off, especially in flower.
Thank you. After I thought about it and before seeing this reply, I opted to leave them alone and just get pics today. There wasn't much difference in time. Just figured it could wait. Then I read your reply and confirms it for me. I need to change my schedule and plan my care to the plants' needs and not make the plant change to my needs!

You got me to thinking about light leaks too. I need to make a few changes to my air intake. Too much ambient light gets in. I need to get some more vent and duct work completed! Thanks a lot Dick for adding to my project list...

DAY 4 UPDATE

Some quick pics of the babies! If you had to guess, how long before I uppot them?

I am guessing at least a couple weeks right? I'll be going into 1 gallon containers next. After that, I was thinking a 3 gal squat. And then finish them in the 7 gallon fabric pots. Thoughts?

I need to make some new soil for the final pots. I was going to start cooking it with the @GeoFlora Nutrients too. Guesses on when I could expect to be into their final containers?

For the soil and nutrients, I will be dedicating one of these ladies to my labor intensive and time consuming amendments process. The rest of them, I am leaving up to @GeoFlora Nutrients to take care of everything for me. I have high expectations. Based on the wisdom I'm reading from much better growers than I am, their plants are doing incredible! Some of the pictures I have seen have me drooling with anticipation of what my crop will look like.

Speaking of pot...Yesterday, I found the perfect pot for special #5! I can't show it off yet, but I'm sure she will be in it, in no time!

Growth difference due to container difference? Or phenotype difference?

Petite but stout!

"El Especial Numero Cinco"
Ohhh...my imagination has something beautiful planned for you!
Hey I just posted some pics of a formula I started with using @GeoFlora Nutrients along with @DYNOMYCO the soil activator by earth's alive but up potted to a pint container after using medium solo cups as the first home in the dirt from the paper towel before I go into 1 gallons. From their I'll go into final flowering 5 gallon buckets or in this grow comparison I might just use the 7 gallon grow bags from Geopot. Hope I can help ya

They look happy BA. The differences in the plants right now won't make a lot of difference, but it is possibly the shorter/taller ones are different phenos. Hard to tell when not many people in the comparative have hit that stage to really tell, a few are ahead of the game.

I can't really help you when it comes to the questions you have on the geoflora nutes but I have been reading that it's best to amend the soil a couple weeks prior to transplants to have the nutrients available when the plant goes in.

Otherwise your up-potting strategy sounds spot on. I would bet you'll be into the final 7 gallon within 50 or so days and getting ready to flower. The plants as of right now should be good in those containers for a couple weeks, you'll want some decent roots holding the medium together before transplant.

Light leaks can be hazardous depending on your set up and what else you have going on. Best to get them tackled sooner than later, it's not going to hurt in veg.

Hey I just posted some pics of a formula I started with using @GeoFlora Nutrients along with @DYNOMYCO the soil activator by earth's alive but up potted to a pint container after using medium solo cups as the first home in the dirt from the paper towel before I go into 1 gallons. From their I'll go into final flowering 5 gallon buckets or in this grow comparison I might just use the 7 gallon grow bags from Geopot. Hope I can help ya
I will definitely check it out! I started all of mine in different starter containers. I want to learn which method I prefer. I am also considering a couple different final container types to try. We'll see. I don't want to do to many crazy things. I need to keep things straightforward and easy to replicate.
They look happy BA. The differences in the plants right now won't make a lot of difference, but it is possibly the shorter/taller ones are different phenos. Hard to tell when not many people in the comparative have hit that stage to really tell, a few are ahead of the game.

I can't really help you when it comes to the questions you have on the geoflora nutes but I have been reading that it's best to amend the soil a couple weeks prior to transplants to have the nutrients available when the plant goes in.

Otherwise your up-potting strategy sounds spot on. I would bet you'll be into the final 7 gallon within 50 or so days and getting ready to flower. The plants as of right now should be good in those containers for a couple weeks, you'll want some decent roots holding the medium together before transplant.

Light leaks can be hazardous depending on your set up and what else you have going on. Best to get them tackled sooner than later, it's not going to hurt in veg.
Thank you for all that info! Much appreciated. I honestly haven't made my soil yet. It was on my agenda for today but I ran out of light. I was finally able to get some veggies planted into the garden beds. I got in the groove and just kept going. I'll make the soil tomorrow (I hope). That will give the soil at least 50 days of cooking.

Yes, I need to take care of any potential light leaks ASAP!

Hey @BakedARea,

Thought I'd stop by and show some love.

Firstly thanks for the support, kind words, pics, and tags! Awesome to see DYNOMYCO in the mix.
Your setup looks great and I'll be following closely - can't wait to see how things progress.

Well done, keep it up, and Happy Growing :peace:

Hey @BakedARea,

Thought I'd stop by and show some love.

Firstly thanks for the support, kind words, pics, and tags! Awesome to see DYNOMYCO in the mix.
Your setup looks great and I'll be following closely - can't wait to see how things progress.

Well done, keep it up, and Happy Growing :peace:
Thank you very much for YOUR support to this awesome forum! So far, I really prefer your myco consistency and application method. I like seeing the various granule sizes. It provides me with an oddly satisfying experience watching them slowly break down when I mist them. Also, I prefer how well it sticks to moistened soil/root balls. I feel more confident that it will "stay put" on the roots instead of floating away into the soil. That not be or anywhere scientific enough of an observation but bro-science is a real thing and can be tested! :laugh: :blunt:

Happy and Blessed growing to you @DYNOMYCO and your entire team!

I got around to mixing my soil today! I am making the TLO Supernatural 2.2 Base Mix and then adding amendments as per the guidance of The Rev in his book True Living Organics.

I made double the batch that is in book. I will be making more to test in other scenarios. I will also be making some TLO 2.2 base mix and only using the @GeoFlora Nutrients for the entire grow. So no adding additional amendments! Looking at everything that is in there, I am really thinking those two bags is all I will need.

For the first amendment I chose to use is the "Veg" fertilizer by @GeoFlora Nutrients. Only called for 1 cup for this batch. I was tempted to add more here...but I controlled myself and put the cup away.

Unfortunately, I don't have any oyster shells so I need to start the hunt for that. Anybody have a good alternative recommendation to use? I do save and prep my own eggs shells. Could I use that?!

I ordered this compost tumbler a couple months ago for the sole purpose of mixing soils. The little openings are not too handy when trying to empty large bags of anything. This cement tub was my solution! It worked well.

I need to add the oyster shells or whatever alternative I end up using. I will also be adding some red wrigglers which I have not ordered yet. Until then, it's technically cooking and will be ready for the final flowering pots.

Dare I say...that using a combination of only Veg & Bloom by @GeoFlora Nutrients #geofloranutrients for a TLO grow is entirely possible?!? Look at the ingredients! Tell me this wouldn't work...

Let's speak the truth here. Fumbling around various grow stores to find specific amendments is a pain! Often, they may be out of items you need. If my logic is working, using just two prebagged products that have all the ingredients you need for a TLO grow would work. I am not a skilled enough grower yet but if these two bags can accomplish what everyone praises about TLO buds, then we may have a game changer right?! Just throwing it out there. I'm always open to hear more opinions and wisdom. Do you think it is possible to have a comparable TLO grow with 2 prebagged products versus the soil mix with all the various ingredients you need to source and add?

Alright y'all!!! Exciting news! This is my introduction to the 2021 outdoor growing season. What better way than to make it part of my Official @420 & @Weed Seeds Express GSC Comparative Grow?!?

A sincere and grateful heart to all the other sponsors for this part of the grow too! @GeoFlora Nutrients , @DYNOMYCO , #earthalive #soilactivator , and @Sierra Natural Science

***This may be a long post. Nay...this IS a long post. I wanted to include a bunch of pics and explanations. You have been warned. ***

I wanted to dedicate some prime outdoor California real estate for the the Girl Scout Cookies by @Weed Seeds Express. I decided that I wanted to direct sow two seeds in my raised garden beds. No containers and no restrictions to their root depth. My garden beds are organic and compose of multiple years of amending with a variety of inputs. This will be the 4th year of growing in them but the first attempt to grow cannabis in them. The beds were amended with compost, used potting soil, composted chicken manure, and alfalfa pellets. The beds have been cooking the manure for over 4 weeks. The alfalfa meal has been cooking for just over 2 weeks. I will be approaching these plants similarly to how I grow my typical veggies and fruits. Obviously with a little more care and attention to these plant's growing habits though.

GSC O1 (Outdoor 1) will be grown using @GeoFlora Nutrients . I went with a light initial feeding to start charging the soil a little extra and give it a head start. I will be top dressing the rest of the way as they recommend based on a 20 gallon container size or just under 4 cubic feet of soil. That may change later but I'm guessing that should suffice.

Here is a look at the top of my garden soil. It looks dry and a little dull right?! Actually, I think it is beautiful. It is loaded with a lot of different inputs. Wait until you see what lies beneath!

Here it is only an inch or less below the surface! I haven't watered this section of the bed for over two weeks. Last watering was a little bit of rain a week ago. This soil is rich, fertile, and ready to grow anything!

I first mounded up a few inches of soil to give me some extra root height. I did this to roughly a 18" diameter section.

I added some @GeoFlora Nutrients "VEG" to the mound. Again, I went with a light initial feeding as suggested on there bag. 1oz per gallon of soil. So I spread 20oz (liquid oz measurement) . There is already plenty of nutrients in my soil for the seedling that will be bioavailable whenever it is ready and needs it. As it grows and requires more, the microbes will have already broken down the VEG granules and she can gorge herself on whatever nutes she needs.

Then some @DYNOMYCO was added to supercharge the soil even more than it is!

I sowed a single GSC seed and I feel confident that it will germinate. I just have faith!

I sowed some Crimsom Clover cover crop. This is an excellent nitrogen fixer. I'm not actually planning on mulching this plant with any of the clover. I will be using the cut clover in other areas instead. I want to see what the GeoFlora can do without the "green" nitrogen rich mulch. The clover roots will still bring in some nitrogen into the root zone anyway but gar less than what is found in the foliage of the clover.

I also sowed one of my go to companion plants, marigolds! These marigold seeds are a hybrid that I accidentally produced last year. These plants will suck up nutrients but not enough for me to be concerned. They are a very shallow rooted plant.

After that, I water the seeds in. I prefer to water in slowly instead of a large initial flooding. Meaning, I let my first watering soak in for a few minutes before coming back and doing it again. I go over them 2 or 3 times at each stage of the process.

I then cover my soil with straw mulch (~½ inch or so) and water that in again 2 or 3 times. I then put my humidity dome on.

After that, I finish it off with some coco chunk mulch. This will keep the top soil cooler and protected from the sun, preventing excessive evaporation.

I then did my final watering with the Earth Alive Soil Activator. This is my first time using this product. Thanks again @GeoFlora Nutrients for sending my some to sample and try in my garden. I used 5oz (liquid measuring glass) in 3 gallons of water. I used all the extra to inoculate various fruit tree containers. A little goes a long way!

I installed a tall tomato cage to support the initial growth and training. The larger supports will be done later.

On to the next one...GSC Plant O2!
To keep things interesting and comparative, I decided that I will not feed this plant any GeoFlora Nutrients. I will instead approach it like I normally would if I was growing a hungry veggie or fruit. Let's use an indeterminate tomato for example. They require a lot of nutrients in order to provide good and abundant fruit throughout the season. For me, I can harvest tomatoes as late as December. That means adding lots of extra stuff to the soil (bone meal, kelp meal, azomite, alfalfa meal, feather meal, etc.). This does mean buying a lot more stuff and a lot more thinking about how much to include of each ingredient. The simple GF VEG measurement and application for O1 took me less than a minute. My process...let's just agree that it took a LOT longer. And a lot more stuff to lug into the garden and back out again. There is something to paying for convenience folks!

I included @DYNOMYCO again for O2 though because I always use a myco product with my plants to just give them an innoculent boost.

For this one, I planted some cover crop again but utilized the 12" of space around the plant to sow some microgreens. I will be able to harvest microgreens salads throughout the season. I covered up all the seeds I sowed with worm castings, watered in, mulched, and labeled. No tomato tower for this one. I don't know why...I'll probably end up doing it. I was thinking of making a tall square tower using hog panels instead. We'll see.

This little volunteer will be getting a lot of yummy nutrients. This is growing about 6 inches away from the GSC O2. If it becomes unruly or in the way, it will have a meeting with my worms.

That's it for now. If you made it this far and didn't cheat, please give yourself a pat on the back and a gold star. I appreciate you tagging along on my growing journey.

Blessings!
Thank you so much for sharing and enjoy a wonderful grow!

Dare I say...that using a combination of only Veg & Bloom by @GeoFlora Nutrients #geofloranutrients for a TLO grow is entirely possible?!? Look at the ingredients! Tell me this wouldn't work...

Interesting list of ingredients. I was surprised to see neem seed oil as one of the ingredients. I thought neem seed oil was to be used as a pesticide? I think it's probably good as it would probably prevent pests in the medium.

Interesting list of ingredients. I was surprised to see neem seed oil as one of the ingredients. I thought neem seed oil was to be used as a pesticide? I think it's probably good as it would probably prevent pests in the medium.
Hey HG! No, it's neem seed meal. Not the oil. When used as a fertilizer the plants uptake parts of the neem seed which will strengthen the defenses of the plants against pests. Similar to people using crab shell meal or shrimp meal. The chitin in those meals strengthen and beef up the cellular structure of the plant.

Thank you so much for sharing and enjoy a wonderful grow!
You guys rock! Seriously... thank you! Ohhh... aaaaand I appreciate all the love. Blessings to the WSE team!
Screenshot_20210504-103706_Chrome.jpg

I'm going to drop the bad news first...

I had a casualty in my tent. #4 in the peat pellet did not survive. I didn't check in on them since yesterday morning. That means it was already thirsty and I missed the signs. Not to downplay my mistake but I seriously can say that a good seedling soil is way better for my growing methods. This is not the first time I have lost seedlings to peat pellets.

The good news...The rest of the babies are humming along! I will be dropping more seeds today to make up for #4.

:love: El Especial Numero Cinco is looking thick! :love:

Hey BA, sorry to hear about the casualty. I'm guessing that is the picture after you watered it trying to revive it? If you're dealing with the peat pellets drying out, a humidity dome is key. I use peat pellets on all of my plants and don't have any issues. I just put a dome over all of them so they don't dry out quick, every day I check them, if they don't look moist I put a small amount of water in the tray and let it soak it up.

I hope this helps with your worries of peat pucks, they really aren't that bad as long as they aren't super saturated or have the chance to dry out.

The rest of the crew is looking good and well on their way. Keep up the good work!

Well I finally got here ,u got some good gear for a decent indoor grow ,now u just need the faith to follow thru ,
By reading your journal (most of) u certainly have the knowledge all that's needed is the faith in yourself that you can rock that grow ,it's there u got it bro :Namaste: :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom