420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Beez0404

Girl Scout Cookies Update Day 1 of Flowering

The plants received a small feeding today. I wanted to get a little Big Data in their systems. Here is how everyone is looking today. Unless someone wants to buy me a nice camera I'll have to make due with my cell phone. So pardon the color. I'll start with a group shot and then individual pictures of each plant.

Today Amazon delivered my brand new Lux meter. I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing with it. I mean I know what it does I just don't know how to use it properly. This is the model I bought.

With the unit turned on and set at LUX X100 I got the following light readings. In each of the corners the meter averaged 500 and in the center it read 600. The light is currently 25 inches above the canopy. The @Mars Hydro FC-4800 was turned up to 100% power for these readings. I've never had a light before that might possibly have to be turned down a little. Anyone able to look at this information and tell me what I'm working with here? Turn it down? Raise the light? Lower the light?

Plants look nice and healthy! Nice work. :thumb:

The lux display with x100 means you add 2 zeros to your reading, or 50,000/60,000 lux. Sounds perfect and the plants are digging it. Once they get further into flower they will grow into the light, so see how the plants respond. Lots of folks grow great buds right where you are, but if you have wall to wall coverage with the light you can try to get the middle up to 70 if the plants show no sign of complaint.

You may have to raise the light as they grow depending on stretch!

The lux will increase as the distance decreases (lowering the light or growing the plant into it). And now that you have a meter, here's a reasonably good chart on lux:

HOW MUCH LIGHT DO YOUR CANNABIS PLANTS REQUIRE?​

• Clones and seedlings: 5,000–7,000 lux
  • Vegetative growth: 15,000–50,000 lux
  • Flowering: 45,000–65,000 lux
  • Maximum recommended amount of light: 75,000 lux
What about even more light? At some point, increasing the light beyond a threshold plant can manage will actually diminish returns. Said differently, once you reach about 85,000 lux, it’s simply too much. Some strains may already show signs of light stress at only 75,000 lux, with the risk of light bleaching increasing at over 80,000 lux. To keep it safe, it is best to stay at or below 75,000 lux.
Source

Some plants will show stress at much lower numbers, so it's best to watch the plant.

Okay, so do I use the center (highest) number or the corners (lowest) number to determine where I'm at? Set up the say it is I am at 50,000 on the corners and 60,000 in the center. Do I call it 55,000? I'll have to play around with it tomorrow to see how much lower I have to bring the light to get up to 65,000 lux. But is that 65k in the center or on a corner?

20210610_222256.jpg

So looking at it when the plants stretch about 2 inches they will have moved into the 65,000 lux range so at that point do I start to raise the light to keep them in that range or do I use the dimmer switch to reduce the light strength?

Here we are at Day 2 of flowering for my four Girl Scout Cookies plants. I think this morning they are looking the healthiest they have in quite some time. It appears @Prescription Blend that whatever is in Big Data it agrees with the girls. And I can't say enough about this @Mars Hydro FC-4800 light. It fills the tent corner to corner with strong but even light. The variance between the center of the tent and a far corner of the tent is just 10,000 lux. Is that right? Did I say that right? So fantastic light penetration corner to corner with this light. I couldn't be happier with it. And @Weed Seeds Express I apologize for my foul ups during this grow. Definitely 100% my fault and nothing to do with the genetics I was given. I think in the end we'll both be proud of these girls.

Pulling up a chair to watch the goings on. Don’t mind if I do. :hookah:.
I sure don't mind. You're welcome to sit back, comment, ask questions. In The Shed is always nearby to give you good answers.

So looking at it when the plants stretch about 2 inches they will have moved into the 65,000 lux range so at that point do I start to raise the light to keep them in that range or do I use the dimmer switch to reduce the light strength?
As I recall, the general rule is that higher wattage further away will provide better light penetration than lower wattage closer. Penetration at this point isn't an issue, so I would dim it a bit and save some electricity to keep them from burning. As they stretch and you need the light to reach the lowers, raising it and bumping the wattage would be the way to go.
I sure don't mind. You're welcome to sit back, comment, ask questions. In The Shed is always nearby to give you good answers.
I'll be out of town for a few days, so I'll be a bit further away than usual. Excuse my delay in responding please . :)

So leave the light right where it is at full power until the plants start to grow upwards towards it and then take them off of their little girl milk crates and set them on the floor. And then adjust the light height to get them back in the 60,000 lux range in the center of the tent.?

Here we are at Day 2 of flowering for my four Girl Scout Cookies plants. I think this morning they are looking the healthiest they have in quite some time. It appears @Prescription Blend that whatever is in Big Data it agrees with the girls. And I can't say enough about this @Mars Hydro FC-4800 light. It fills the tent corner to corner with strong but even light. The variance between the center of the tent and a far corner of the tent is just 10,000 lux. Is that right? Did I say that right? So fantastic light penetration corner to corner with this light. I couldn't be happier with it. And @Weed Seeds Express I apologize for my foul ups during this grow. Definitely 100% my fault and nothing to do with the genetics I was given. I think in the end we'll both be proud of these girls.

They're looking fantastic! What a beautiful tent view.

Back
Top Bottom