420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Beez0404

Well gosh darnit I jinxed myself. Just when I said everything was looking good with respect to bud rot I just found a little on one of the colas on the #4 plant I featured today. I had some time this evening and was stripping her fan leaves and spotted a brown, dried up leaf sticking out of one of the colas and sure enough it had decomposed inside the bud and caused botrytis to form. Obvious my preference would be to have zero bud rot and because I check for it often especially with plants with really dense buds my bud loss is greatly reduced. I took a picture of the bud rot on the plant after I opened it up a little bit so you could see it. And I included a photo showing how much I removed from the cola. I am like a cancer surgeon and always give myself a generous margin to make sure I got it all. I may have sacrificed 3 or 4 grams of dried buds which beats the alternative.

Hope you can see it in this first pic. Maybe some of you have never seen it before and this might prove helpful.

Here we are post surgery.

I've decided to hang the colas individually so I can thoroughly inspect each one as it's removed from the plant.

So One Down Three to Go!

Processing has begun on #4 the smallest of the Girl Scout Cookies plants. I broke down the plant and hung the colas individually so I could check them real well. No other problems I saw. I am wet trimming some of the smaller colas and some fluffier buds. Two quick pics from the start of harvest.
Now that's a handful.

Hi, beez- Hey, I want to thank you for this ...
The leaf dies and the stem of the leaf is trapped inside the bud where it decomposes and sometimes causes bud rot.
I went out and checked my Chocodope after reading this, and sure enough, I pulled about 10 yellow leaves out of the buds that were dead and decomposing, and probably going to get some rot started, had I left them there- so I think you probably saved a few of my biggest buds from ending up in the trash can.
She's real close to harvest, and I'd really hate to lose them now...
Thank You!

Beze0404, Thanks for the bud rot details, will watch closely this grow forward. So it looks brown at the start, does it change as it progresses? Cheers
@cr8grow when you spot it you will usually see white, grey, or a lighter brown colored fuzz like what you would see on a piece of fruit that's gone bad.

@Carcass I'm glad my post helped out. I had hoped it would prove useful and maybe prevent someone else getting botrytis. Heck I know what causes it, where and how to look and I still got it in my plant. But the earlier you find it the less flower you lose.

@Carcass I'm glad my post helped out. I had hoped it would prove useful and maybe prevent someone else getting botrytis. Heck I know what causes it, where and how to look and I still got it in my plant. But the earlier you find it the less flower you lose.

What causes it?

@HashGirl I'm only speaking from my own personal experience. Every time I've found botrytis on a cola it has been caused by a leaf stem being pinched so tight by a bud that the leaf dies. The part of the stem inside the bud then decays. Sometimes that's all that happens, other times the decaying leaf stem leads to bud rot. By the time we see it the botrytis is already eating away at the inside of the cola. The more dense the colas the greater the odds of a leaf being "pinched" off by the cola and dying.

Next up for harvesting is Girl Scout Cookie plant #2. This one has always been a little larger then the other three. I thought with a nice trim she might be POTM material. Competition is SO TOUGH lately but she's a comparative grow girl and deserves to see the spotlight. I think @Weed Seeds Express should be really pleased with their genetics and their Girl Scout Cookies plants. I think she's a beautiful plant but of course I'm biased. :rofl: Her pot is pretty dry so I am planning to just leave her in the tent until there is no moisture whatsoever in the pot and she's starting to droop from lack of water and then get her hung up.

Reminds me of a high yield auto. Those are some amazing corn cobs right there. Trim looks so effortless. Cheers
I'm trying to learn how to grow a high yield auto! Growing autos is definitely a horse of a different color.

beez0404, if you want check out my grow #3, #4 and #5 links for auto insights. I had a short auto run and learned a lot. I like the 10 week turn with a high potent yield, but genetics are key. Last few pages of each auto journal cover results, great to mediocre. The autos do things at their pace, easier to correct issues with a longer photo grow. I’m enjoying the GSC comparative grow. I have some auto seed stock that will fill indica and hybrid jars very quickly as needed. Planning my next grow, I will check out @Weed Seeds Express for their auto seed selection and fem photos. Cheers

What causes it?
@HashGirl botrytis is a natural fungus found in most environments and is used extensively in the wine making process. The fungus can spread spores in the air and thrives in constantly moist environments.

This can be from a damaged/pinched leaf stem as @beez0404 found, also for outdoor if buds get rained on and never dry out late flower this can take hold.

Botrytis is intensionally sprayed on wine grapes and can cause issues for people living in areas near vineyards growing ourdoors.

Growing a high yield auto is my dream as well. I'm currently following @BooWho2 , @Justin Goody , @Carcass and @Heavenly Hybrid in order to learn how. :battingeyelashes:
Well @HashGirl that is definitely a foursome to be reckoned with when it comes to growing autos.

Back
Top Bottom