420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By BoBrown14

Ok we on our way.

I haven't started a new journal for quite some time so bear with me.

Received the seeds from Weed Seed Express in about a week time from ship to shore here in Upstate NY. I'm WAY out in the country too so very surprised on how quick I got the seed packs. Seriously thats as fast as any USA breeders or even faster actually so very happy about that.

Thanks and shout out to @Weed Seeds Express for the kindness.
Thanks again to @420 for setting up this comparative grow and inviting me along for the ride.

Yeah so seeds are a soakin.

My Setup:

Soil - Organic no-till water only. I mixed a new batch about 2 yards worth and will be using the new batch mixed in with some of the older soil I have that's about 6 years old now. The older soil usually does better for me than a new mix. It usually takes 2 rounds of flowers to really get the soil cranking and why I will mix in some of my older soil to help with populating the micro-herd.

SOIL
I use Coots Mix - its pretty basic. THE most important ingredient is free - home made Vermi-compost.

I'll be running in a 5x5 Mars Hydro tent - its in the mail.

For lighting just gonna go with a 10w led 4K bulb for seedlings until hardened off.

Then we will decide what VEG/Flower lighting to use when I need to. Still gotta few weeks to go before I need to set it up. Pics to come on that.

Water:

I use RO water probably be setting up an automated watering system like I usually do. So all I gotta do is a weekly IPM (integrated pest management) foliar and check for pests and take pics of the progress.

Environment:

Solar powered 27KW of badass panels - a field full and they charge batteries in case we go off grid for some odd reason. Solar powers our Geothermal cooling and heating and lighting. We have 2 air handler/exchange units that we can dial in the temps and RH.

Thats about it for now. Sitting here tap tap taping waiting for tap roots.

I soak my beans in a water/peroxide mix about 3:1 ratio of water:peroxide.

2 reasons for this. Peroxide will kill bacteria/viruses from human handling of the seeds. And peroxide helps with seed germination. There's some science behind the peroxide or h2o2 that helps with germination rates and seedling success.

The water/H2o2 method super-seedes (<-- see what I did there) other germination methods.
Its the seedling stage that is my challenge.

Good luck everybody. This is going to be fun as there are a lot of skilled growers in this group and I'm excited and thankful that I am able to participate :Namaste: and be a part of the whole.

Thanks again to all the sponsors that are also participating. Without them we woodn't be here.

Also gotta give a BIG thanks to @Norcaliwood for the shout out for this grow. Woody rocks.

Here's a bit on the science behind H2o2 and seed germination:

Role of H2O2 in pea seed germination

Ok we on our way.

I haven't started a new journal for quite some time so bear with me.

Received the seeds from Weed Seed Express in about a week time from ship to shore here in Upstate NY. I'm WAY out in the country too so very surprised on how quick I got the seed packs. Seriously thats as fast as any USA breeders or even faster actually so very happy about that.

Thanks and shout out to @Weed Seeds Express for the kindness.
Thanks again to @420 for setting up this comparative grow and inviting me along for the ride.

Yeah so seeds are a soakin.

My Setup:

Soil - Organic no-till water only. I mixed a new batch about 2 yards worth and will be using the new batch mixed in with some of the older soil I have that's about 6 years old now. The older soil usually does better for me than a new mix. It usually takes 2 rounds of flowers to really get the soil cranking and why I will mix in some of my older soil to help with populating the micro-herd.

SOIL
I use Coots Mix - its pretty basic. THE most important ingredient is free - home made Vermi-compost.

I'll be running in a 5x5 Mars Hydro tent - its in the mail.

For lighting just gonna go with a 10w led 4K bulb for seedlings until hardened off.

Then we will decide what VEG/Flower lighting to use when I need to. Still gotta few weeks to go before I need to set it up. Pics to come on that.

Water:

I use RO water probably be setting up an automated watering system like I usually do. So all I gotta do is a weekly IPM (integrated pest management) foliar and check for pests and take pics of the progress.

Environment:

Solar powered 27KW of badass panels - a field full and they charge batteries in case we go off grid for some odd reason. Solar powers our Geothermal cooling and heating and lighting. We have 2 air handler/exchange units that we can dial in the temps and RH.

Thats about it for now. Sitting here tap tap taping waiting for tap roots.

I soak my beans in a water/peroxide mix about 3:1 ratio of water:peroxide.

2 reasons for this. Peroxide will kill bacteria/viruses from human handling of the seeds. And peroxide helps with seed germination. There's some science behind the peroxide or h2o2 that helps with germination rates and seedling success.

The water/H2o2 method super-seedes (<-- see what I did there) other germination methods.
Its the seedling stage that is my challenge.

Good luck everybody. This is going to be fun as there are a lot of skilled growers in this group and I'm excited and thankful that I am able to participate :Namaste: and be a part of the whole.

Thanks again to all the sponsors that are also participating. Without them we woodn't be here.

Also gotta give a BIG thanks to @Norcaliwood for the shout out for this grow. Woody rocks.

Here's a bit on the science behind H2o2 and seed germination:

Role of H2O2 in pea seed germination
Hey @bobrown14 I haven't got my seeds yet so ill hang out and watch yours.
I'm interested to see how that no nutrients added soil does. Do you get all the way through flower with just that soil? Nothing added?

Hey @bobrown14 I haven't got my seeds yet so ill hang out and watch yours.
I'm interested to see how that no nutrients added soil does. Do you get all the way through flower with just that soil? Nothing added?
You bet yes. The soil I'm currently growing in is 6 years old. I just re-use it. Turn and burn.

Plants harvested out of the containers. Container sits a few weeks or until I get around to loading them back up and back into flowering. I use the same pots and same soil over and over.

I will amend the soil at up pot in the hole under the new plants root ball. Not a lot of amending tho. EWC/Kelp Meal and some malted barley maybe a little compost if I feel like it. Maybe a cup total of everything mixed together in the hole.

I did mix a new batch a few weeks ago. I will mix some of the old soil with the new batch just to keep the microbes going. Plants change the microbes remain the same. They are the most important part.

3 of 5 seeds got tails and are under a dome in peat pellets on a heat mat.

That was overnight. Thats always a good sign. Fast sprouting means the seeds are fresh.

I'll put 6 more seeds soak in water/h2o2 after these are in peat pellets.

If I get 10 plants thats going to be too many for my 5x5. So likely put the extras outside in large bags for the summer that should be fun.

Looks like MarsHydro is sending me something in the mail!

I ordered a new 5x5 @Mars Hydro tent for this grow that is also in the mail inbound.

You bet yes. The soil I'm currently growing in is 6 years old. I just re-use it. Turn and burn.

Plants harvested out of the containers. Container sits a few weeks or until I get around to loading them back up and back into flowering. I use the same pots and same soil over and over.

I will amend the soil at up pot in the hole under the new plants root ball. Not a lot of amending tho. EWC/Kelp Meal and some malted barley maybe a little compost if I feel like it. Maybe a cup total of everything mixed together in the hole.

I did mix a new batch a few weeks ago. I will mix some of the old soil with the new batch just to keep the microbes going. Plants change the microbes remain the same. They are the most important part.
I'm currently mixing up soil for an outdoor grow this summer. Its so much more complicated than coco. I'm just learning about soil. Foxfarms and a bunch of amendments. I'll have to let it sit . Do you think a month is long enough to let it cook. Also do they get burnt when you first put them into soil with so much nutrients mixed in?
Bill

Looking good bud :green_heart:

Same as with grow journal it must be at least 4 years since I kept one & ye I got some soil to amend as well from 2017.

I'm currently mixing up soil for an outdoor grow this summer. Its so much more complicated than coco. I'm just learning about soil. Foxfarms and a bunch of amendments. I'll have to let it sit . Do you think a month is long enough to let it cook. Also do they get burnt when you first put them into soil with so much nutrients mixed in?
Bill
I don't know what foxfarms adds to their soil mix so cant say if it would burn plants probably not is my guess. That said I dont plant seedlings into anything remotely new or newly amended. EWC/aeration/peat moss with a splash of gypsum or lime is good enough or any old soil you have laying around, in a few weeks after hardened off go for the new soil mix.

When I mix up a new batch I usually add something to get the microbes going. This new mix I added a layer of GrowKashi lightly sprinkled on top then close the containers and the mix has already been watered.

Once all the santa's beard dies back, takes about 2 weeks - its on. Just dont plant any seedlings in there are we are good to go.

I'm going to use my new mix in some large bags outside this year. maybe some 50gal bags..

I got a big load of screened compost (leaf compost) delivered so that's going to help fill the bags. I'm too cheap to buy any soil mix from a bag. I got like 3 yards of screened leaf compost for $150 and I thought I got ripped. lol Its good stuff tho just need to add in a bale or 2 of peat moss and some amendments and good to grow trees.

Update on my GSC grow.

Put my new Mars Hydro
Lamp together and getting a new tent set up here this weekend.

Seedlings in soil in solo cups.

I've got 4 going above ground. They still pretty small anything could happen. Got my fingers x'd they grow ok. 1 looks sketchy.

Anyway the Mars Hydro lamp is the FCE-6500. It's a great lamp for a 5x5 space perfect for what I need. Cant wait to hang it up.

It was very easy to assemble and took me about 20 minutes didnt even need any tools.
Very well designed I really like it.

Here's a few pics of assembly and lamp assembled. Its dimmed to the lowest setting.
Quality here and the bars can be moved side to side. I have it set up per specs from Mars Hydro. But those bars are easily moveable while its hanging.
I think that's going to be very helpful.

Final assembly - dimmed to 10%

20210412_161618.jpg

Hanger hardware - heavy duty

20210412_150851.jpg

Hanger installed

20210412_150931.jpg

Light Bar - attachment hardware - look Ma no tools!

20210412_151302.jpg

Power supply - can be remote or attached to the light bar frame. Plenty of extra chord for remote if heat is an issue. I'll go with attached to frame.

20210412_153810.jpg

Update on my GSC grow.

Put my new Mars Hydro
Lamp together and getting a new tent set up here this weekend.

Seedlings in soil in solo cups.

I've got 4 going above ground. They still pretty small anything could happen. Got my fingers x'd they grow ok. 1 looks sketchy.

Anyway the Mars Hydro lamp is the FCE-6500. It's a great lamp for a 5x5 space perfect for what I need. Cant wait to hang it up.

It was very easy to assemble and took me about 20 minutes didnt even need any tools.
Very well designed I really like it.

Here's a few pics of assembly and lamp assembled. Its dimmed to the lowest setting.
Quality here and the bars can be moved side to side. I have it set up per specs from Mars Hydro. But those bars are easily moveable while its hanging.
I think that's going to be very helpful.

20210412_161618.jpg

20210412_150851.jpg

20210412_150931.jpg

20210412_151302.jpg

20210412_153810.jpg
Looks great. :thumb:

I'm really digging the new Mars Hydro FCE-6500

Here's the specs on it:
650W dimmable to 10%
3978 pcs high-quality BridgeLux chips
Good for 5X5 flowering
PPFD @ 2.7 Umols/J
Spectrum = 660-665nm,2800-3000K,4800-5000K

Really like to see the 2800-3000K spectrum along with the far red 660-665nm. This is going to do a great job.

I'm really digging the new Mars Hydro FCE-6500

Here's the specs on it:
650W dimmable to 10%
3978 pcs high-quality BridgeLux chips
Good for 5X5 flowering
PPFD @ 2.7 Umols/J
Spectrum = 660-665nm,2800-3000K,4800-5000K

Really like to see the 2800-3000K spectrum along with the far red 660-665nm. This is going to do a great job.

2.7 umols/just and 5000k can't wait to see you pulling a couple pounds from that baby. :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom