420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Brett Blaze

Brett Blaze

Hi Fellow Growers, Smokers and Midnight Tokers!

I just received the FedEx tracking info for the GSC seeds by @Weed Seeds Express so the day has come to start my journal for the 420 Magazine Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative grow. (I get munchies every time I read that) I would like to thank @Weed Seeds Express for sponsoring this comparative grow and all of the sponsors who have contributed to what I believe to be the world’s ultimate comparative grow event. (I almost wrote competitive. Freudian slip). Also, a big thank you to @420 for inviting me and hosting the event.

A little about myself. I’m an Old Timer, a Vet and a Professional Photographer. (We need an Old Timer thread) I am semi-retired and I am doing what I love to do. Grow pot and photography. It’s great doing something you enjoy that actually has an ROI.

My first grow was in 1983 or 84, the 80s are a little fuzzy (the 70's are completely missing :thedoubletake: ). When laws changed in California in 1986 it wasn’t worth the risk to continue. When it became legal in California a few years ago I started to grow again. I was shocked at the changes for lights and methods. Shortly after I joined 420 Magazine to learn more about all the new cool stuff and everyone here has been so helpful on my first two grows. It is greatly appreciated.

My journals tend to be photo intense so expect the same for this journal. I can get pretty detailed so new growers can benefit (and myself as I look back at my own journals) so apologies upfront to those that may see repetitive information from other journals.

In addition, to thank the 420 sponsors that help support this magazine, I did my best to use sponsored products where possible.

Here are the details of this grow.

- Southwest US in the California desert. I wanted to include the location since living in a hot desert brings challenges for indoor growing outside of the winter months. Outside temps this week reached 100 F (38 C) with RH at 25% or lower and keeping indoor temps cool enough while maintaining proper RH is not easy. (Normal high temps are 85 F (29 C) in the Spring up to 125 F (52 C) in the Summer) To help with controlling the heat, I installed a portable AC unit that vents out the window along with a Reptile aquarium fogger to add some humidity directly to the tent. So far the AC is keeping the "room" at 72 F (22 C). I am running a test with full lights and the temp is 72.3 F in the tent with 44% RH. With plants I expect the RH to be much higher. So far so good. I have a large humidifier I can add for full room RH increase if needed.

Strain - Girl Scout Cookie Fem / Photo seeds provided by @Weed Seeds Express. With an indoor height of 32" to 40" this is an ideal strain for me to grow indoors. I have a bad rep for outgrowing the height of my tent space.

THC level23%
CBD level0.7%
Variety80% Indica / 20% Sativa
GeneticsOG Kush x Durban Poison (I :love: OG Kush) :drool:
Max yield indoor450 to 500 grams/m2
Max yield outdoor550 to 650 grams/m2
Height indoor80 to 100 cm
Height outdoor150 to 190 cm
Flowering time49 to 63 days
Fungal ResistanceHigh
Growers profileBeginner
CultivationIndoor, Outdoor, Greenhouse
ClimatePolar, Temperate, Mediterranean, Arid, Tropical, Mountains
FlavorsChocolate, Earthy, Fruity, Lemon, Spicy, Sweet, Pepper, Woody
EffectsCalming, Creative, Euphoric, Happy, Relaxed, Sleepy, Social, Uplifting
SOG suitableyes
SCROG suitableyes

Lighting - @Budget LED Demon 330W indoor LED grow light. The Demon uses 768 Samsung LM301H LEDs and 18 Samsung LH351H V2 Deep Red 660nm LEDs. (Full-spectrum white and 660nm deep red) I expect this light to kick ass in this space. Another reason I switched lights from my last grow was due to the heat problems I experienced. Tent temps up to high 80's in the winter. The Demon has two large size boards that allow increased passive cooling capability while providing even light distribution in my 2' x 4' area. I am hopeful this will help keep temps under control.

Grow Medium - Coco (70/30 ratio with perlite) My last two grows have been Hydro/DWC and I planned a Coco grow prior to being selected for the comparative grow so I am sticking to it. I haven't grown in soil for nearly 40 years so best not start again right now.

Nutrients - I decided to use @Prescription Blend for nutrients this time. It will be the first time using their nutes but that's nothing new for me. I like to try new products.

I want to thank @GeoFlora Nutrients for their kind offer to provide nutrients to everyone for this grow. I will be using a hydro delivery system and wanted something water soluble.

Pest Control - Thank you to @Sierra Natural Science for sponsoring their Organic and Natural SNS-209 Pest control for the event.

Grow Area - I will be using a 2' x 4' x 8' (60mm x 120mm x 240mm) tent. Yes, I added height this time. :yahoo: I’m glad I have 9' ceilings. This will also be a new tent build (surprising). My last 4' x 4' DWC took up too much room and I recently downsized homes so I needed to reduce the total space. I only grow a few times a year at most and still have buds left from my grow a year ago. I added an AC Infinity T4 for the ventilation along with an Inkbird Humidity Controller hooked up to the fogger.

Grow Pots - Two Geopot 5-gal fabric pots for their final home. Germination will be in Jiffy Pellets. I used Rockwool for the DWC and had good success. Since this is Coco I’m going with the Jiffy Pellets. The plants will then be transferred to 1-gal pots to establish root growth.

Training – For this grow I will be Quadlining the two plants. I’ve been wanting to try this style of training so no better time than now.

Let’s get this show on the road!!

Keep on Smoking. :peace::passitleft:

Dano

Hi Fellow Growers, Smokers and Midnight Tokers!

I just received the FedEx tracking info for the GSC seeds by @Weed Seeds Express so the day has come to start my journal for the 420 Magazine Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative grow. (I get munchies every time I read that) I would like to thank @Weed Seeds Express for sponsoring this comparative grow and all of the sponsors who have contributed to what I believe to be the world’s ultimate comparative grow event. (I almost wrote competitive. Freudian slip). Also, a big thank you to @420 for inviting me and hosting the event.

A little about myself. I’m an Old Timer, a Vet and a Professional Photographer. (We need an Old Timer thread) I am semi-retired and I am doing what I love to do. Grow pot and photography. It’s great doing something you enjoy that actually has an ROI.

My first grow was in 1983 or 84, the 80s are a little fuzzy (the 70's are completely missing :thedoubletake: ). When laws changed in California in 1986 it wasn’t worth the risk to continue. When it became legal in California a few years ago I started to grow again. I was shocked at the changes for lights and methods. Shortly after I joined 420 Magazine to learn more about all the new cool stuff and everyone here has been so helpful on my first two grows. It is greatly appreciated.

My journals tend to be photo intense so expect the same for this journal. I can get pretty detailed so new growers can benefit (and myself as I look back at my own journals) so apologies upfront to those that may see repetitive information from other journals.

In addition, to thank the 420 sponsors that help support this magazine, I did my best to use sponsored products where possible.

Here are the details of this grow.

- Southwest US in the California desert. I wanted to include the location since living in a hot desert brings challenges for indoor growing outside of the winter months. Outside temps this week reached 100 F (38 C) with RH at 25% or lower and keeping indoor temps cool enough while maintaining proper RH is not easy. (Normal high temps are 85 F (29 C) in the Spring up to 125 F (52 C) in the Summer) To help with controlling the heat, I installed a portable AC unit that vents out the window along with a Reptile aquarium fogger to add some humidity directly to the tent. So far the AC is keeping the "room" at 72 F (22 C). I am running a test with full lights and the temp is 72.3 F in the tent with 44% RH. With plants I expect the RH to be much higher. So far so good. I have a large humidifier I can add for full room RH increase if needed.

Strain - Girl Scout Cookie Fem / Photo seeds provided by @Weed Seeds Express. With an indoor height of 32" to 40" this is an ideal strain for me to grow indoors. I have a bad rep for outgrowing the height of my tent space.

THC level23%
CBD level0.7%
Variety80% Indica / 20% Sativa
GeneticsOG Kush x Durban Poison (I :love: OG Kush) :drool:
Max yield indoor450 to 500 grams/m2
Max yield outdoor550 to 650 grams/m2
Height indoor80 to 100 cm
Height outdoor150 to 190 cm
Flowering time49 to 63 days
Fungal ResistanceHigh
Growers profileBeginner
CultivationIndoor, Outdoor, Greenhouse
ClimatePolar, Temperate, Mediterranean, Arid, Tropical, Mountains
FlavorsChocolate, Earthy, Fruity, Lemon, Spicy, Sweet, Pepper, Woody
EffectsCalming, Creative, Euphoric, Happy, Relaxed, Sleepy, Social, Uplifting
SOG suitableyes
SCROG suitableyes

Lighting - @Budget LED Demon 330W indoor LED grow light. The Demon uses 768 Samsung LM301H LEDs and 18 Samsung LH351H V2 Deep Red 660nm LEDs. (Full-spectrum white and 660nm deep red) I expect this light to kick ass in this space. Another reason I switched lights from my last grow was due to the heat problems I experienced. Tent temps up to high 80's in the winter. The Demon has two large size boards that allow increased passive cooling capability while providing even light distribution in my 2' x 4' area. I am hopeful this will help keep temps under control.

Grow Medium - Coco (70/30 ratio with perlite) My last two grows have been Hydro/DWC and I planned a Coco grow prior to being selected for the comparative grow so I am sticking to it. I haven't grown in soil for nearly 40 years so best not start again right now.

Nutrients - I decided to use @Prescription Blend for nutrients this time. It will be the first time using their nutes but that's nothing new for me. I like to try new products.

I want to thank @GeoFlora Nutrients for their kind offer to provide nutrients to everyone for this grow. I will be using a hydro delivery system and wanted something water soluble.

Pest Control - Thank you to @Sierra Natural Science for sponsoring their Organic and Natural SNS-209 Pest control for the event.

Grow Area - I will be using a 2' x 4' x 8' (60mm x 120mm x 240mm) tent. Yes, I added height this time. :yahoo: I’m glad I have 9' ceilings. This will also be a new tent build (surprising). My last 4' x 4' DWC took up too much room and I recently downsized homes so I needed to reduce the total space. I only grow a few times a year at most and still have buds left from my grow a year ago. I added an AC Infinity T4 for the ventilation along with an Inkbird Humidity Controller hooked up to the fogger.

Grow Pots - Two Geopot 5-gal fabric pots for their final home. Germination will be in Jiffy Pellets. I used Rockwool for the DWC and had good success. Since this is Coco I’m going with the Jiffy Pellets. The plants will then be transferred to 1-gal pots to establish root growth.

Training – For this grow I will be Quadlining the two plants. I’ve been wanting to try this style of training so no better time than now.

Let’s get this show on the road!!

Keep on Smoking. :peace::passitleft:

Dano
I just finished my 1st grow indoors but I'm also in the southwest desert. Arizona side. I think I'll settle in and watch your grow. Maybe learn something about growing in these conditions

I mentioned yesterday I was also doing a new tent build and changing from my DWC I used last year. See My Second Journal for details. Although the setup worked great it's just too big overall. A 4' x 4' tent sounds small in comparison to a 11' x 11' room but when I added all the extra equipment and reservoirs it took up a space of 8.5' x 5'.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-12.jpg
20191026-IMG-0900.jpg

For the 2' x 4' tent I chose the same brand as before and went with Gorilla and added the 1 foot extension giving me a total height of 8 feet. I also added an additional crossbar across the top in addition to the one they provided. Oddly my 4 foot top braces from my previous tent don't fit the new tent. They are about 1/2 inch too long. I happened to have a 4 foot bar I picked up last year that fit perfect.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-1.jpg

I also added the Gorilla High CFM kit to give the tent more support. I haven't received the 420 stickers yet so I stole it from a pic of @Justin Goody 's and photoshopped it on mine. :straightface:

Tent and Stuff 04152051-3.jpg

To help with the temp and RH issues I went with the AC Infinity T4. The T4 has a nice controller to adjust the fan based on humidity and temperature. I also added the Inkbird Humidity controller hooked up to a reptile aquarium fogger.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-2.jpg

For lighting I selected @Budget LED Demon 300W LED light. My previous lights, although worked well, ran hot and were very heavy.

Budget LED always packs the lights very well. Even my UPS guy can't destroy these and sometimes I really think they try.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-7.jpg

Tent and Stuff 04152051-8.jpg

The lights are simple to set up and install and are very light.
Tent and Stuff 04152051-9.jpg

Some info from Budget LED's Demon page.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-10.jpg
Tent and Stuff 04152051-11.jpg

I added a 6" clip on fan above the light to provide some cooling. The Demon comes with a dimmer that allows settings from 30W to 330W.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-4.jpg

Tent and Stuff 04152051-5.jpg

Hooking up the portable AC should help this time. It wasn't hard to set up and the window kit removes easily. I used some weather stripping and a little duct tape to make sure it was sealed. There is also some opaque window film to black out the windows. I use a pegboard mounted to the wall that holds all the timers. outlets and monitors.

Tent and Stuff 04152051-6.jpg

I have two other monitors that are wireless that I can monitor on my phone. One measures the amount of electricity used and the other monitors the temp and RH. I have everything going at full speed and the total power being drawn is a little over 11 amps.

IMG-1629.PNG
IMG-1630.PNG

Keep on growing.

Dano :rollit:

I'm a little concerned about the RH being low so I decided to start running a large humidifier while doing environmental testing of the tent. The fogger just isn't doing much to get the RH higher. Once the plants get going it may come in handy.

The humidifier holds 2.5 gal (9.5l) and is rated for 2600 sq. ft. I used this humidifier last year and stored my cigars and guitars in the room. The room stayed at a real nice RH of 50%. Adding the humidifier bumped the power consumption up to a max of 12.5 amps with everything running on high. I'm really pushing this 15 amp breaker. Probably a good idea to find an outlet on another breaker when I vacuum.

81Ij8M9eQmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
IMG-1636.jpg

Hi Growers

It looks like the seeds are now in the US and hopefully will arrive soon. In the meantime, I thought I would discuss the grow medium and nutrients I plan to use. Since my previous grows have been in hydro/DWC, my next move was to grow in a soilless medium so I chose Coco.

I wanted a Coco that was rinsed and buffered and with availability that wasn't going to jack the price up to ship. Royal Gold looked like it would meet the requirements. It's also analyzed for high quality, nutrients, and salt content. And since I don't know much about the different Coco mediums I said WTF why not. I also chose some organic perlite.

Royal Gold Coco.jpg
Perlite.jpg

@Prescription Blend was very generous to provide the nutrients for this grow. I had already purchased the nutrients and Matthew was gracious enough to sponsor the nutrients for this comparison grow and refunded what I had already paid. Now that is so cool.
:thanks:

For those who have never used Prescription Blend they provide a 6 part nutrient kit that covers the complete grow cycle. What is nice about the packaging is each part comes in what looks like an easy to use and withdraw flexible pouch. They even provide the pipettes for each pouch. The feed chart looks simple enough and there's recent discussion in Prescription Blends Sponsor page that answers a lot of questions.

Nutes.jpg
91bU5DMBSaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To help the plant obtain additional moisture and nutrients I am going to add some Great White Mycorrhizae when transplanting and then every other week.

Great White.jpg

Happy Growing. :peace::rollit:

Happy 420 fellow growers. A day to celebrate.
:high-five::theband::yahoo::slide:

A special thanks to @420 and 420Magazine for supporting the repeal of all Cannabis prohibition laws and penalties while increasing Cannabis awareness at a global level for the last 28 years.

Happy smoking. :rollit:

Back
Top Bottom