420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Brett Blaze

Happy 420 fellow growers. A day to celebrate.
:high-five::theband::yahoo:

A special thanks to @420 and 420Magazine for supporting the repeal of all Cannabis prohibition laws and penalties while increasing Cannabis awareness at a global level for the last 28 years.

Happy smoking. :rollit:
Good call :bravo:
I second that @420 :thanks:

Yesterday FedEx had the delivery date for @Weed Seeds Express GSC seeds as 4/20. They were at the closest major FedEx location in the early morning but for some reason they sent it to a location further away then it went to the Los Angeles facility and now it's on it's way back to where it started yesterday with no date provided when it will get delivered. :eye-roll:

Well the seeds actually arrived today. Thank you @Weed Seeds Express IT'S SHOW TIME!!! :tommy: But first a word from our sponsor. :cheer:

IMG-1649.jpg

seads-3.jpg

Stage - Germination: Day 1

Well I was really surprised that the seeds from @Weed Seeds Express showed up today and very happy too. So with no further delay I decided to start germinating tonight. Since I will only have two plants I am going to germinate 4 seeds and take the two strongest plants to transplant to their temporary home of 1 gallon pots.

The first thing I do is scuff the seeds to allow quicker imbibition or rehydration of the seeds. The plan is to slightly roughen the outer layer of the testa (seed coat) to allow water to more easily penetrate the seed. There are several ways to go about scuffing the testa. I use 320 grit sandpaper rolled into a tube. I cut a 3" square and roll it around a pen and then use tape to make the tube.

germination prep-1.jpg
germination prep-2.jpg
germination prep-3.jpg

I put one seed in at a time and then gentle shake a few times so each is lightly scuffed. The main reason I put one at a time to make sure each is properly scuffed and just in case my finger slips I only loose one seed.

germination prep-6.jpg

germination prep-5.jpg

After scuffing the seeds I put each one in a separate cup with 7.0 PH distilled water. In about two hours the seeds should sink to the bottom.

germination prep-8.jpg

Back in a couple of hours.

:peace::rollit:

After three hours of soaking I had two that sank. Next was to transfer over to some sealable containers. I use the paper towel method just until I get a tail of about .5 in (1.25cm) long. This will be in about 2 to 3 days.

The reason I put one seed per cup was so I could easily pour the cup with the seed into the container. I used 1/4 sheet of paper towel folded in half in each container.

Germination 2-1.jpg

I pour the contents of each cup into each of the containers and position the seed in the center.

Germination 2-2.jpg

Then fold the paper towel over the seed and drain the excess water leaving the paper towel damp.

Germination 2-6.jpg

Then seal the container. This will keep the moisture in.

Germination 2-4.jpg

All four will sit on the warming pad for 24 hours before the first inspection.

Germination 2-5.jpg

While the seeds are in the containers I'll start soaking the Jiffy pellets with the same distilled 7.0 PH water. I want to leave the pellets in water for 24 hours.

Germination 2-7.jpg

:peace: :rollit:

IT'S ALIVE!! :yahoo:

I took a peek inside the containers and one has started to sprout. It was the first one I opened so I had some excitement that some of the others had also start to sprout. But alas only this one so far.

I'll check on the other three again in the morning.

Sprout-1.jpg

Smoke well and smoke often. Be happy. :peace:

Stage - Germination: Day 2

After 36 hours I now have 3 seeds sprouted. The 4th seed looked smaller than the other three to begin with but hopefully it will sprout sometime today. I will check it again tonight. The other three may be ready to move to the jiffy pots tomorrow.

Here's a couple of quick pics in low light.

sprout 2-1.jpg

sprout 2-2.jpg

Have a good day everyone. :rollit:

As I prepare for the first move from the paper towel to the Jiffy pods, I set up my tent with the proper lighting, temperature and RH. I did several environment tests over the last week using the room humidifier, portable A/C and the fogger to get temps and RH where I feel I can control them throughout the grow.

I'll keep the seedlings in the jiffy pods and in the dark until the cotyledons open. After they first show cotyledons, I'll turn on the lights but I want the lights low and temperatures below 80F (26.7C). I don't have to worry about the low temps here as it will always be above 72F (22C). RH will be higher than the shown 49% as the seedlings will be in a dome until I see some roots coming through the jiffy pods. I'll monitor inside the dome to keep RH around 70% to 75%. Once roots start to show they will be transplanted to the grow bags.

grow bags.jpg

For the first part of the seedling stage I'll position the LEDs about 28 inches above the plant area and reduced the power to 84W (1/4 power). This gave me a Lux reading of 11000. The Demon light from @Budget LED allows me to adjust the light from 30W to the full 330Ws. I use a separate energy monitor for the lights so I can see exactly how much power I'm using. The lights are also monitored as part of the total power.

Lux.jpg
light power.jpg

Until tonight. :peace:

Stage - Germination: Day 3

Good Evening Fellow Growers.

The high temperature today was a very nice 85F which is the average high for the desert this time of year. The Humidity is 22%.

Well it's been about 48 hrs. since the seeds first got wet and three of the seeds have radicles nearly 1/2 inch long. The fourth still shows no signs of sprouting. I am deciding whether to start one more seed to be sure I get 2 healthy seedlings to transplant.

But first. :bongrip: Ok I'm ready. What was I saying?

The jiffy pellets have been sitting on the heat mat all day in 7.0 PH / 0 EC water to get the medium to the same temperature as the paper towel water. There's already a hole at the top of each pod but you may need to remove some fabric. I used a sharp thin utensil to make a hole in each pod a little over a 1/2 inch deep.

jiffy-1.jpg

jiffy-2.jpg

I transferred the seeds to the hole (radicle down) by manipulating the paper towels and without touching the seeds. (Sorry no photos here. I wanted to get this done quickly) Then I barely covered the head of each seed with some medium. The fourth non-sprouting seed is in the upper left corner. (this comment was made so I actually remember where that seed is) :cheesygrinsmiley:All the other seeds looked pretty much the same with one just slightly longer than the others.

jiffy-4.jpg

I spray the inside of the dome with water and put the dome on the small tray that comes with the pellets then place a very low LED light above the tray. There are two things that plants use to determine which way is up. Gravity and light. I can only control one. The radicle is sensitive to light so it's important to make sure it's covered. Once the heads are above ground (which may be in the morning) I will place the tray in the tent until they become seedlings. That should take around 2 days.

jiffy-3.jpg

Until tomorrow. :passitleft:

Awesome intro! I wish I could edit mine to include more details I forgot to add.

Really looking forward to your photography too! It will likely inspire me to get my gear out and actually use it.

to what I believe to be the world’s ultimate comparative grow event. (I almost wrote competitive. Freudian slip).
:rofl: Love it! I have almost said that a couple times too. Maybe we'll compete with our photography instead?! Haaa haaaa...never mind. You win! I don't have the energy to be competitive right now.

Thanks for checking my journal out. I'm trying my best to check in on everyone. As soon as the list is complete, I'm going to go down the list and watch them all. I want to challenge myself to stay on top of the them as best as I can. I'll be sure to stay updated here on yours!

Awesome intro! I wish I could edit mine to include more details I forgot to add.

Really looking forward to your photography too! It will likely inspire me to get my gear out and actually use it.

I should have some nice photos coming once I get a good subject to shoot. I F'd up today and forgot my tripod at home for a photoshoot I had scheduled because I used it for some journal photos and forgot to put it back in my car. Luckily the client was my brother this time and I was able to reschedule for tomorrow. First time I have ever forgotten my tripod.

I carry two camera bodies, extra lenses, batteries and memory cards to prevent things like this from happening but my tripod has a unique setup for what I do and it's hard to carry two. Next time I shoot for the journal I'm using one of my extra tripods I keep at home and leave my work equipment alone.

Stage - Germination: Day 4

Temperature today:
Right now it's 81F (27C) with a high going to 92F (33C). Humidity 27%.

It's been 64 hrs. since they have been wet and 18 hrs. since they were transferred to the jiffy pellets. I am a little concerned as I expected them to be above ground by now but you can just barely see the heads above the medium.

seeds 0424-1.jpg

They have been sitting on a heating pad under a low LED light but being the impatient person that I am, I decided to move them to the tent. I also installed a web cam but I'm not trilled with it. I used a Ring camera last year that's currently monitoring the dog while I'm away. She's an 15 year old Lab. I think I'm going swap them.
seeds 0424-2.jpg

I update later today or this evening. :peace: :passitleft:

I really want to get a camera in my tent too. Which model did you use that gave you the lower resolution?

First time I have ever forgotten my tripod.
I have forgotten my tripod a couple times. I once forgot it when I was supposed to capture some food for a local magazine project. Talk about feeling stupid. No rescheduling option. I had to get creative and just make sure I was shooting a fast enough shutter speed. Client had no idea how damn stressed out I was. :nervous-guy::nervous-guy::nervous-guy::rofl::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke:

Just a quick update. Going on 24 hrs. since I moved them to the Jiffy pellets. They are just starting to poke through the top. The 4th still not showing any signs of life.

seeds 0424-3.jpg

:passitleft:

Stage - Germination: Day 5

After 4 days, two days in the pellets, I expected more progress and #3 looks to have stopped altogether. I'll keep it for now.

I believe I may have a PH issue when I prepared these pellets. When testing for PH my best meter was inop and even my Bluelab Guardian was completely dead. The move last year really messed a lot of stuff up. Most of my stuff was buried in the garage by the movers even though it was labeled "Study". The garage in the desert can get to 140° F (60° C) in the summer. A lot was either ruined or just didn't work. I'm going take the Guardian apart and have a look. I have an electronics background so maybe I can see why it's completely dead. It's too expensive and just over a year old.

When I prepared the water, I calibrated and used my backup PH meter. I also tested the water with a chemical "drops" test kit so figured it was close to 7.0. I ordered another quality PH meter to replace my inop one and it arrived yesterday. When I tested the water I've been using it read 8.0 instead of the 7.0 I expected. :(

After making a new batch of water and adjusting with the new calibrated meter, I flushed the 3 pellets with the new water. #1 never sprouted and has been removed.

Just in case I started two more seeds last night. Both have sprouted already.

Day 5 seed-1.jpg

:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom