420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Emilya

Thats a deal killer at our house... I have already been banned from the kitchen from doing some of my things, and even though I hate gas grilled BBQ, I had to buy one just so I could do some of the smelly stuff outdoors.
Gas grill 2 words that should never go together

Also, no need to put the sack of pot in the fridge, potentially smelling up the house. The sack is light proof and can easily go right in the active grow tent and air filtering system... a very big convenience.
I just remembered a disaster I caused one time that I would like to mention... the sack is semi light proof, so put something over it to block the direct light. Also, don't put it up on top of your light array. lol... that little paper oven really quickly dried out that batch. I will never do that again. :oops:

Veg, Day 34
:ganjamon::party::hippy::Rasta::lot-o-toke:
Last night the crew got together over here and we got mostly done with the uppotting project... on all but 3 plants!!! We ran out of specially prepared soil, because Emmie's math was a little off. Today I ran out and bought a new bag of Fox Farm's Ocean Forest, and I added to it 75g of Vulx per gallon and mixed it up really good. I didn't mess with trying to duplicate the other amendments that I had put into the original mix either, but I still believe the Vulx will make this layer of the soil above average in its ability to hold nutrients and water, just like in all the other containers. When we make up the 7 gallon containers here in a couple of weeks, I will use the last of my Vulx to fix up that new batch of Ocean Forest too. Other than this, I used the same layers as in the cups and the 1 gallons... aged cow manure as a bottom layer, 1/3 container of Purple Cow supersoil, @DYNOMYCO in a thin layer before setting the old rootball in, and then the amended Ocean Forest to fill up to the top and the sides. The only difference is that there is no longer a need for Happy Frog in the top layer.

This was also day 13 of the 2 week feeding schedule, so all of the plants were top dressed with 1/3 cup of @GeoFlora Nutrients and slowly watered twice to runoff, leaving a little water in the drip trays for the plants to suck back in.

The plants were split between Veg Room #1 and Veg Room #2 (the Mother Room). This is also where the air from the top of the bloom room is sent, so it can be filtered and sent out of the window in here. This is the hottest of my grow rooms and it can typically be in the 90's in here during the day, being that we are only inches away from the hot metal roof outside and all the heat is being blown this direction. Add even the very efficient MarsHydro SP-3000 in here, and the heat does build up, but so far I have not seen it affecting the plants. Right now to get some cooler air in there, the doors are being kept open out into my office area, where that area is air conditioned and some fans have been set up to blow that air toward the grow rooms. We are looking into ways to vent some of the house AC into the bloom room, and already have been able to mitigate a bit of the heat on these suddenly hot pre-summer days in Missouri.

Here is the view of both rooms from the office area. There is a door that is normally closed between veg room 1 and 2.
DSCF9455.JPG

The plants are now well spaced out under their lights with plenty of room to grow. Here is a shot of Veg 1, from the doorway of Veg 2.
DSCF9458.JPG

And here is a shot from the doorway, looking into Veg 2.
DSCF9457.JPG

The plan is to veg for two more weeks, and on or about feeding time again next time, we will move up to their final 7gal containers. For tonight, I didn't even look to see if anyone needed a dominance lesson... they have been through enough for now and 6 of them are suddenly in a different light too, although I have matched the LUX at canopy level in both rooms by turning the Mars light way down. Tomorrow, I expect to see some happy plants and some sudden growth sneakily trying to steal dominance... but we will see about that!
DSCF9456.JPG

Off with their heads! :cool:

Emilya, Thanks for the update and full tour, I expected nothing less. Cheers
I have been a little reluctant to give such a full view of my much talked about grow room complex in my attic, because as you can see, it is still basically just roughed in and sloppy, but it works. We took a lot more care in finishing out and sealing the bloom room than we did over here on this side, and I have let the lack of professionalism embarrass me a little bit here on the forums. It is what it is though and I no longer mind sharing a few of my imperfections to my friends. While there are some things I am really good at, carpentry is not one of those things. Between Ms J. and my crew, my father who has to crawl up and down the narrow stairs, and my always needing to be bribed to do anything helpful older brother, we got it done.

Veg, Day 35
The girls have taken to the new containers well and rapid growth is again being seen. I had to get in and whack somewhere around 10 nodes that were getting a little too bold as well as several who had clearly thought that they had captured dominance. All is well and the plants are beginning to shape up very nicely. Here are a few shots of stolen dominance, before I got to them with my little scissors.

DSCF9468.JPG
DSCF9467.JPG
DSCF9466.JPG

Here are the rooms as they greeted me this afternoon, loving the new space and reaching up to the lights.

DSCF9465.JPG
DSCF9464.JPG

Veg, Day 36
Today is another day where nothing much needs to be done other than a little rotating and looking for buds to whack. Although I couldn't spot any more bud sites that needed tending to, I am noticing a general widening out of the plants in order to accommodate so many bud sites.

DSCF9470.JPG

Here as an example of what is happening is our former runt, now a very capable young thing sporting at least 20 bud sites if we went to bloom today. She has a wide stable base and although she is still the shortest plant in the bunch, she is going to produce a mad amount of bud.

DSCF9469.JPG

Water usage is already off the scale. We are sitting at 2 days from their first uppotted watering, and already several of them are feeling light. I would not be surprised if we contemplate watering again already tomorrow and if so, a 3 day wet/dry cycle so soon in these new containers would show an amazing amount of root development in just 2 days.

DSCF9471.JPG

Veg, Day 37
Another 24 hours gave me a little more to do today and the plants are again in rapid grow mode. Approximately 30 more snips were able to be made as we continue to shape the plants. Each plant needs to be individually examined, rotated and evaluated as to which nodes need to go longer and which need to be cut as we try to more or less even out the canopy.
DSCF9472.JPG

Water usage isn't quite as strong as I had imagined it to be, and today on the 3rd day since watering, they still did not need any more. Tomorrow if they still show weight in the bottom, I will be giving each plant a little drink around the edges, just to keep things going strong and to entice new roots out that direction.

Quick shots of the two rooms show that we have one plant that is taller than the rest, ,and I will probably do something about that in the next few days... we can't have one deciding to stretch all out of proportion when it comes time to bloom.

DSCF9474.JPG
DSCF9473.JPG

Here is a top down view of one of the plants to show how she is widening out to make room for all of those bud sites
DSCF9475.JPG

Caught up again. Your growth is just on fire!!! That soil is on hyperdrive. Haaa haaa.

I need to figure things out some more with my soil. I got a little behind on watering a couple times I think and it has created stalls in growth rather than quick growth. Working on it though! Seeing plants like these give us goals and standards.

Looking good.... plants are lush. When are you flipping to flower??

I'm getting close probably the full moon in a few days.
Thanks Bob! The main thing limiting me is that I have a sponsored grow just finishing up in my bloom room, so there is about a week and a half to two weeks delay there. As that is happening, I also want to uppot these plants into their final 7gal containers and let them settle in there for a couple of weeks before flipping. I would love to be able to hit the full moon, but that just isn't in the cards for this time.

These plants should be ready for that final transplant in a week and if that happens, I think we are looking at about 3 more weeks of veg total and then we are going to have some very large plants to deal with in the bloom room.

I like this ability to run 12 at a time through my system and the numbers are going to work well for me. My patients keep begging for more and more product because it has been everything I can do to keep up with demand so far, so I am needing to step things up a notch or two. Running four or five plants at a time is just not cutting it, but finally I have all the equipment in place to be able to perpetually run a large number of plants. Now I need to figure out what I want to grow next... its almost time to start up the next veg room! Time sure flies when you are growing weed!

Veg, Day 38
Watering Day - Wet/Dry cycle at 4 days

These are indeed some vigorous plants! I am not certain that they could have gone another day without severely wilting from lack of water. So on the first watering since a 3x uppotting, they only went 4 days! That is remarkable. I don't think we are going to have any trouble at all transplanting them next week in order to get ready for the final push before sending them to bloom.

Today I needed to trim a few more ends, no more than 10 or 12, and I am starting to be able to see the final shape of these plants. I am now encountering tips on the edges of the plants that it will do no good to top, since they are already throwing out alternating nodes. Whack-a-mole training is finished on those branches and we have what we have. Now the goal is to try our best to keep them short and happy.

There really isn't much to be done about the overly tall one either... she is the fast one, and probably is showing me what most of the others are going to do after they too have sent all their nodes up to the top. I am not going to be able to chop her down any shorter. I am preparing my tomato cage kits now... 12 of them. This was the last of the permanent grow equipment that was needed for this grow to be able to keep 12 plant perpetuals going here in the garden.... well, that and 12x 7gallon grow bags and a truck load of soil. We are just about ready to start the largest bloom of my growing career, and one that we hope to duplicate over and over again.

The SNS should arrive tomorrow and we will get that watered in ASAP... but we might have to give them one more day to dry out a little bit. Then the SNS will be applied regularly so we can be assured that these gnats are not going to be a problem in this grow.

For tonight, let me leave you with some pictures of some of the individual plants that have caught the camera's eye. I have also trimmed underneath a little bit, taking out leaves hitting the soil, sucker branches and leaves cluttering up the middle. There will be another trim right before heading into bloom, but this one was primarily to make it easier to water these wide and low hanging ladies.

DSCF9482.JPG
DSCF9481.JPG
DSCF9480.JPG
DSCF9479.JPG
DSCF9478.JPG
DSCF9477.JPG
DSCF9476.JPG

I like this ability to run 12 at a time through my system and the numbers are going to work well for me. My patients keep begging for more and more product because it has been everything I can do to keep up with demand so far, so I am needing to step things up a notch or two. Running four or five plants at a time is just not cutting it, but finally I have all the equipment in place to be able to perpetually run a large number of plants. Now I need to figure out what I want to grow next... its almost time to start up the next veg room! Time sure flies when you are growing weed!
Life is good. I run 12 sometimes more I'll flip a VEG room into a flower room and just let them rip in the VEG containers. I lose about a zip per plant without going to larger pots but the time is the critical issue.

This year has been weird. Less demand then everything is opening back up and the demand is big. Hard to plan with so many changes so quickly. Opening up is good tho. I'll take it. Went to an outdoor hoo-man gathering without masks AND music for the 1st time in 16 months this past weekend. Almost cried it was so beautiful to see and be a part of again.

I'll probably just leave my GSC in 4 gal pots and watch and see. GSG isn't a big yielder for me but the flowers are good.

Choices and selection. Always a challenge. I buy seeds then trade then just grow the seeds I make that are free. Sooo hard to choose.

Your girls are getting big even with the training. 2-3 weeks more gonna be some monsters if they stretch in flower.

Back
Top Bottom