420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Emilya

previously used cups will not do for this grow
Well you have definitely showed your cards here and I see your going all in. It’s a good thing this isn’t a competition. :high-five:

Why sterilize it? Wouldn't some of the beneficials in their soils be good?
Yes, but so would fungus gnat larvae and anything else that might have gotten in there while it was sitting in storage. The good thing about turning my soil into a "bakedarea" is that now I have reset the soil back to zero, and then when I add the @DYNOMYCO, the soil activator and some @GeoFlora Nutrients, all of the best beneficials are right back in there, all new and fresh and ready to go. I didn't lose anything good by baking it... only lost the bad stuff. What is that called? a win-lose-win! :ganjamon: :rofl:

Well you have definitely showed your cards here and I see your going all in. It’s a good thing this isn’t a competition. :high-five:
The only competition here is with myself, to have each grow be a little better than the last, a tribute to the accumulation of knowledge, experience and techniques.
:party::circle-of-love::party:

DSCF9196.JPG

And then there were 12! I can report that I have planted all of the seeds and none of them looked like duds. 1/3 of them got significant tails on them during their time in the water. Another third were trying to poke out tails, or at least you could see a bump, and the last third just cracked open a bit at the split, thinking about putting out tails some day soon. They were planted in the order of their level of cooperation but then shuffled so that no bias could or would be assigned to any of the cups. I have no idea which are which, so we will just have to see how many come up. The seem pretty vigorous... I am betting on 12 out of 12. As soon as they each come up they will be shuffled up to the grow rooms but for now they get to enjoy the above average humidity around the aquarium.

The two seeds were carefully picked up with tweezers and placed into the hole, pointy end down, root up..
Can you explain your rationale for "root up?" I assume you feel it helps the seedling shed the seed coat as it rotates to its proper orientation?

jroot.jpg
The seed. if started in the wrong position,can send the roots up and above the soil. This is called a j-root.
I am a disaster when it comes to seeds. My hands are unstable when it comes to anything small or just about anything these days. I stopped using solo cups and started using the small air pots because I have screwed up so many times trying to get the seedling out of the solo cup. The air pots are much harder to turn over also. When I got older things like balance and being clumsy set in.
I am in for the ride on your new journal Emilya.

You always have an interesting journal... love to follow along. I'm also interested in the GSC, looks like some tight bud.

:hookah::love:

Isn't it interesting that the perfect temperature for life to thrive in the ocean, is 79 degrees Fahrenheit, and that this is also the perfect temperature for our plants? Some things just make you want to go, hmmmm. :hmmmm:

Life begets life... so for now, we hang out around the aquarium waiting for the sign that new life has entered the world. The drama is real, and we all hang on the edges of our seats, hoping... yet somehow confident that nature will find a way.

Please enjoy this day my friends... it is truly a good one here.

DSCF9199.JPG

Seedlings are starting to appear!

I didn't have time to get a picture this morning as I was getting ready for Monday morning, but I did notice that the first 2 are up and above the surface! If these were the first 2 planted on Thursday, that is 3 days until hitting the surface. This afternoon when I get home, I expect to see several more have made their way to daylight, and I will be moving the entire group upstairs to Veg Room #1, where they can get much more light and a better controlled temperature.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and I will give a better update, with pictures, later on!

As of this evening, I am pleased to report that 6 of the 12 are visible. Only 3 are so far completely above the surface and putting out leaves, but the others are clearly rising up and will be there by morning. These 6 are sitting in the back row, while the 6 in the front row continue to work on it. I have observed that every one of the last 6 are showing some sort of disturbance in the topsoil above where the seed is planted, and I am reasonably sure we are going to get 12 out of 12 greeting us very soon.
DSCF9210.JPG

Everyone has been moved to Veg Room #1, with only the first three to know that they once lived near the ocean. The much brighter light in there for the next few hours should help spur on the sleepy seedlings, and after 6 hours of darkness tonight, I fully expect to be greeted by most of them in the morning. I will have another picture for you at 7am, when the lights come on, and we will see what happened overnight in the darkness.

DSCF9211.JPG

Seedlings, Day 1
DSCF9213.JPG

This evening finds us with 11/12 above the surface and with us confidently waiting on the last one. The lights have been lowered to curtail any thoughts some of the precosious ones might have of stretching and we are on our way! I am going to try out a new phase of my grows in this journal with an official seedling stage, where I will give the plants 1 week to establish themselves in the soil, before calling it Veg.

DSCF9217.JPG
DSCF9216.JPG
DSCF9215.JPG
DSCF9214.JPG

I am going to try out a new phase of my grows in this journal with an official seedling stage, where I will give the plants 1 week to establish themselves in the soil, before calling it Veg.
I like that idea! I might copy you on that. I was talking about this in my journal. I wish there was a standard on this topic to be honest. I get it though. That would be a tough thing to standardize with the many different grow styles.

I like that idea! I might copy you on that. I was talking about this in my journal. I wish there was a standard on this topic to be honest. I get it though. That would be a tough thing to standardize with the many different grow styles.
You and I can be the first, and someday the things that we do may indeed become the standard as people begin to realize that we have it going on. :rofl: :thumb::rofl:

Seedlings, Day 2
Number 12 is still a no show... but we havent given up yet.

DSCF9218.JPG

All the others seem to be thriving! All is looking good so far while we wait for the tap roots to hit the bottom and drain these cups. I have not watered, except for #12... the rest of the girls need to start working for a living.

DSCF9219.JPG

Back
Top Bottom