420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Emilya

This early in flower you don't seem concerned about exposing them to light in the dark phase?
Sustained and long term light leaks are what harms a plant in bloom... a few momentary flashes will not even register. I could have even turned the big light on to take the pictures, and as long as I kept it to just a couple of minutes, the plants would just ignore it. If I left it on for 20 minutes, the plants would wake up and be annoyed, just as you would expect.

Transition, Day 2
Geoflora Feed, Day 2
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 2
6 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering
Total time in the Grow, 9 weeks / 5 days

The girls look amazing! Already the stretch has begun and in the last 2 days everyone has noticeably grown, some as much as 3 inches! Things are about to get very intense in here!

Here is a two photo pan shot of the top of the canopy. Note the very tall ones in the center of the jungle... these are our troublemakers. I gave them the word "supercropping" to think about overnight, and I showed them how to sign it in ASL. Hopefully they got the message.

DSCF9566.JPG
DSCF9567.JPG

Next, lets center in on this sprawling little beauty. She will need to be reined in a bit later, but for now, we let her reach.

DSCF9568.JPG

A couple of fun shots next... one from soil level up close and looking for any deficiencies, and the next from mid level.

DSCF9570.JPG
DSCF9569.JPG

To finish out, lets track the growth tips as we move through transition, and try to spot that day when we can determine that we have entered into the bloom phase. We are at the second day of transition, and from what I can see, it still looks a lot like veg.

DSCF9573.JPG
DSCF9572.JPG
DSCF9571.JPG
Lovely simply loverly

Sustained and long term light leaks are what harms a plant in bloom... a few momentary flashes will not even register. I could have even turned the big light on to take the pictures, and as long as I kept it to just a couple of minutes, the plants would just ignore it. If I left it on for 20 minutes, the plants would wake up and be annoyed, just as you would expect.

In other words, in the day & life of a plant that was a blink of an eye.

It would be hard to register.

Transition, Day 4Length of Grow: 10 weeks
Geoflora Feed, Day 4
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 4
8 Days since last SNS Foliar
SNS 209 given on each watering

The girls did not need watering today, so they all got an in-between light watering around the edges, so as to entice the roots to grow out that direction. A few more gnats were encountered, so we will definitely give another foliar spray tomorrow. They all got shuffled around a bit and complimented on their good looks before sending them off to bed.

Here is the room, 10 minutes before the end of their day period:

DSCF9582.JPG
DSCF9581.JPG

Some shots to show you the rapid growth at the top as the stretch begins:

DSCF9589.JPG
DSCF9588.JPG
DSCF9587.JPG

And the growth tips, still working on transitioning to buds:

DSCF9586.JPG
DSCF9585.JPG
DSCF9584.JPG
DSCF9583.JPG

Transition, Day 4Length of Grow: 10 weeks
Geoflora Feed, Day 4
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 4
8 Days since last SNS Foliar
SNS 209 given on each watering

The girls did not need watering today, so they all got an in-between light watering around the edges, so as to entice the roots to grow out that direction. A few more gnats were encountered, so we will definitely give another foliar spray tomorrow. They all got shuffled around a bit and complimented on their good looks before sending them off to bed.

Here is the room, 10 minutes before the end of their day period:

DSCF9582.JPG
DSCF9581.JPG

Some shots to show you the rapid growth at the top as the stretch begins:

DSCF9589.JPG
DSCF9588.JPG
DSCF9587.JPG

And the growth tips, still working on transitioning to buds:

DSCF9586.JPG
DSCF9585.JPG
DSCF9584.JPG
DSCF9583.JPG
Digging this dense jungle Em! How's your method on leaf and branch removal if ya don't mind me chimingin some?

Digging this dense jungle Em! How's your method on leaf and branch removal if ya don't mind me chimingin some?
I have already done most of it. When I transplanted into my final containers, I started clean up. I made bare every branch in the bottom third and I greatly thinned out the center of the plant of any branches that were not going to make it up to canopy height and thinned out any leaves in there that were not going to be able to get light and that were adding to the congestion in the middle. My goal was to hollow it out in there a bit so that there could be airflow through the bottom of the canopy.

I can't say that I won't be trimming any more branches, because that would be a lie, but I don't plan on doing any more trimming. I will be spending some time with each of the 11 plants over the next several days, weaving branches in and out of the tomato cage and even tying some to the outside of it. I want the plants to spread out as much as possible at the top, while still maintaining solid vertical support for the heavy buds that are soon to follow. If some little branches are just totally in the way of something that has much more potential to produce, I will trim it away, but that window is rapidly closing and I want to be done with all the trimming by the end of stretch, which I estimate is 10 days away.

Congrats on a great Veg - they have a great start for flower! Beautiful pics!

Good evening, Emilya.

I know you top fed your girls with GF Veg even though you've flipped them to flower as I have done the same. Are you planning on feeding them GF Bloom their next feeding or the feeding after that? Or does it depend on how you feel your plants are doing?

In other news, I've ordered 8 tomato cages similar to yours in that they're fully adjustable. Unfortunately, they'll arrive too late for this grow but I look forward to using them in future grows. Thank you for showcasing them here in your journal.

Also, it might be just me, but I find your colour-coded titles harder to read now that they're spaced the way they are currently. :battingeyelashes:

#GirlPower

Good evening, Emilya.

I know you top fed your girls with GF Veg even though you've flipped them to flower as I have done the same. Are you planning on feeding them GF Bloom their next feeding or the feeding after that? Or does it depend on how you feel your plants are doing?

In other news, I've ordered 8 tomato cages similar to yours in that they're fully adjustable. Unfortunately, they'll arrive too late for this grow but I look forward to using them in future grows. Thank you for showcasing them here in your journal.

Also, it might be just me, but I find your colour-coded titles harder to read now that they're spaced the way they are currently. :battingeyelashes:

#GirlPower
Hey Girlfriend... yep, I agree with you. I don't like the new format either. I will probably go back to the old way of doing it, but just wanted to change it up a bit. Thanks muchos for the feedback!

Yes, definitely on the next feed, they will be budding, and they will be getting the BLOOM formula from then on out, and then on the last 2 weeks, I will intentionally NOT feed them.

You are going to love the fully adjustable, build them as you go, no stress to the plants, reusable, tomato cages. The best part is the entire superstructure holding up the plant, moves around with them as we shuffle around the room!

Things are looking great!! I'm trying those tomatoe cages next time. My girls looked like porcupines last time and I thiught I would poke out an eye trying to move them haha

Awesome to read you like fishing too.

Things are looking great!! I'm trying those tomatoe cages next time. My girls looked like porcupines last time and I thiught I would poke out an eye trying to move them haha

Awesome to read you like fishing too.
Hi Tim! I have been there with the porcupine thing... I have a collection of bamboo sticks already, and now that I have upped my grow capabilities to 12 plants at a time, I can't imagine how much bamboo I would have had to have on hand and how hard it would have been to get this many plants in the room with that stuff sticking out in all directions. These cages are slim, and force a vertical column of plant to develop that is much easier to manage than even the old traditional wider at the top tomato cages from the vegetable garden.

I am not your typical girl. My dad taught me to change my own tires and oil when I first started driving, and we moved on to other car maintenance from there. I always baited my own hooks and even ate a worm once on a dare... I ride motorcycles and I hunt too and am a pretty good shot with my pistol.

Hi Tim! I have been there with the porcupine thing... I have a collection of bamboo sticks already, and now that I have upped my grow capabilities to 12 plants at a time, I can't imagine how much bamboo I would have had to have on hand and how hard it would have been to get this many plants in the room with that stuff sticking out in all directions. These cages are slim, and force a vertical column of plant to develop that is much easier to manage than even the old traditional wider at the top tomato cages from the vegetable garden.

I am not your typical girl. My dad taught me to change my own tires and oil when I first started driving, and we moved on to other car maintenance from there. I always baited my own hooks and even ate a worm once on a dare... I ride motorcycles and I hunt too and am a pretty good shot with my pistol.
Annie Oakley. :hookah:

HELL YES! That Is all I have to say!

Transition, Day 5
Geoflora Feed, Day 5
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 5

9 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering
Length of Grow: 10 weeks, 1 day

Too much stuff came up today to be able to get a lot of time in the bloom room, so the reapplication of SNS and the tucking and arranging has been put off until tomorrow morning after breakfast. After the watering around the edges they still didn't need a proper watering yet today, but after lifting a few of them to move them around a bit, it became clear that they will need to be watered tomorrow, putting us on a 6 days wet/dry cycle for this round. This apparent slow down of the predicted acceleration of the wet/dry cycle this time can be explained by the throwing of the flip into this cycle, causing the plant to majorly change gears. I have no fear that length of the wet/dry cycle will not continue to drop with the next couple of waterings.

The big news is in the rapidity of the flip on these GSC girls. Today I note many more pistils at the growth tip and just below, and in the next day or so it is going to be hard to argue that bloom has not started. Let's see what you all think with today's pictures, taken right before lights out.

DSCF9594.JPG
DSCF9593.JPG
DSCF9592.JPG
DSCF9591.JPG
DSCF9590.JPG

Transition, Day 6
Geoflora Feed, Day 6
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 6
10 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering
Length of Grow: 10 weeks, 2 days

Today was a huge day in the garden and I ended up spending about 5 hours working up there. First, I need to issue an apology and a correction to @Moto258. You asked me about trimming and the whole time I was answering you I wasn't thinking about this trim that just happened today, I was thinking about the whack-a-mole training trimming that we just came out of. That was what I didn't plan to continue... training is done.

But you saw the need coming up to do the final trim before bloom and today was the day this happened. I like to get this final trim done before bloom actually starts, and even though I did a good trim of the bottom third of the plants a while back, they all definitely needed it done one more time. Today was that day, and a big pile of leaves and branches that never made it to canopy height, or worse, was trapped in the mess in the middle and the bottom of the canopy, was removed. Not only did I trim out everything in the now taller bottom third, but I also went through the middle of the plant and thinned it out as best I could and again, anything not making it up to at least the middle of the canopy was removed. On most of the plants, node #1 and even #2 never got high enough in the canopy to justify keeping them.

Here is before today's trim:

DSCF9597.JPG
DSCF9596.JPG

Here is after:

DSCF9604.JPG

The horizontal spacers on the tomato cages were also re-adjusted and the branches at the top were detangled and an attempt was made to attach them with plant ties to the best spot to open up the top and give the buds room to develop. The tallest plants needed the next section of the cage to be assembled and some of the top buds were attached at the very top

DSCF9602.JPG
DSCF9601.JPG
DSCF9600.JPG

Then the plants needed their next spraying of SNS, and this time I used up all of the remaining 203. On the next watering I will spray again, the next time using the more powerful SNS PC to spray for the flyers. The SNS 209 has been faithfully been given on each watering, and today was no different.

Today was watering day. The room again took just short of 16 gallons. This was a 6 day wet/dry cycle and now that we have stopped torturing the plants, I expect the water usage to kick way up. I expect to need to water in 4 more days, and 3 days after that. By then we will be in full bloom and I will start forcing water every 2 days, and every 4th time I will force them to dry out a bit more, and force them to go 3 or maybe 4 days before watering again and continuing with the 2 day watering cycle.

Lastly, the transitioning buds... I can't call what I see this evening an official bud... maybe tomorrow. This isn't surprising since the fastest transition I have seen yet has been 7 days and it looks very possible that this will be the case here this time too.

DSCF9608.JPG
DSCF9607.JPG
DSCF9606.JPG
DSCF9605.JPG

Transition, Day 6
Geoflora Feed, Day 6
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 6
10 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering
Length of Grow: 10 weeks, 2 days

Today was a huge day in the garden and I ended up spending about 5 hours working up there. First, I need to issue an apology and a correction to @Moto258. You asked me about trimming and the whole time I was answering you I wasn't thinking about this trim that just happened today, I was thinking about the whack-a-mole training trimming that we just came out of. That was what I didn't plan to continue... training is done.

But you saw the need coming up to do the final trim before bloom and today was the day this happened. I like to get this final trim done before bloom actually starts, and even though I did a good trim of the bottom third of the plants a while back, they all definitely needed it done one more time. Today was that day, and a big pile of leaves and branches that never made it to canopy height, or worse, was trapped in the mess in the middle and the bottom of the canopy, was removed. Not only did I trim out everything in the now taller bottom third, but I also went through the middle of the plant and thinned it out as best I could and again, anything not making it up to at least the middle of the canopy was removed. On most of the plants, node #1 and even #2 never got high enough in the canopy to justify keeping them.

Here is before today's trim:

DSCF9597.JPG
DSCF9596.JPG

Here is after:

DSCF9604.JPG

The horizontal spacers on the tomato cages were also re-adjusted and the branches at the top were detangled and an attempt was made to attach them with plant ties to the best spot to open up the top and give the buds room to develop. The tallest plants needed the next section of the cage to be assembled and some of the top buds were attached at the very top

DSCF9602.JPG
DSCF9601.JPG
DSCF9600.JPG

Then the plants needed their next spraying of SNS, and this time I used up all of the remaining 203. On the next watering I will spray again, the next time using the more powerful SNS PC to spray for the flyers. The SNS 209 has been faithfully been given on each watering, and today was no different.

Today was watering day. The room again took just short of 16 gallons. This was a 6 day wet/dry cycle and now that we have stopped torturing the plants, I expect the water usage to kick way up. I expect to need to water in 4 more days, and 3 days after that. By then we will be in full bloom and I will start forcing water every 2 days, and every 4th time I will force them to dry out a bit more, and force them to go 3 or maybe 4 days before watering again and continuing with the 2 day watering cycle.

Lastly, the transitioning buds... I can't call what I see this evening an official bud... maybe tomorrow. This isn't surprising since the fastest transition I have seen yet has been 7 days and it looks very possible that this will be the case here this time too.

DSCF9608.JPG
DSCF9607.JPG
DSCF9606.JPG
DSCF9605.JPG
Looking great Em! They all look very uniform and healthy! The two gscs I had in my 4x4 that I ended up booting out to heal are starting to look healthy again! Finally!!! If it wasn't for you and @HashGirl these two could have been goners!!! I got a lil Cockey thinking I had this dry ammendment from Geoflora down to a T already... but we live and we learn! The good thing is I never give up on a challenge! I've been sick since yesterday with some sort of cold! Here I thought my cannabis could ward off the simple cold but I lost that battle lmao! I promise to post some updates on my gals once mucus releases my head!!!! Cheers to some great flowers!

Bloom, Day 1
Geoflora Feed, Day 7
Wet/Dry Cycle, Day 1
1 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow: 10 weeks, 3 days

Today, it looks like we are officially blooming! Everyone is looking great and despite all the grooming yesterday, they seem to be still growing rapidly. Not much to do today except admire them and take a few pictures.

DSCF9614.JPG
DSCF9612.JPG
DSCF9611.JPG
DSCF9610.JPG

I will keep snapping these pictures of the growth tips each day until we are sure we are seeing buds instead of green growth, but we need to start the clock somewhere. Sorry for the blur in a couple of them... I was a little rushed.

Back
Top Bottom