420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By HashGirl

I see your fimm didn't take ,,,looking back it looks like u cut to high ,,she put a lot of energy into trying to regrow her leaves,,u could re top the plant or tie it down like u did with your others ,, :ganjamon:

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I was supposed to LST it but I didn't know if it had grown out enough yet as I couldn't figure out where to LST it. I was going to ask @BooWho2 about how she Fimmed and LSTed her plant.

Looking good in the garden, HG :green_heart:

Thank you, Dick.

I did some LST adjusting this morning and I topped GSC3, on which Freak kindly pointed out, thatt the fimming I did didn't take.

I also gave them their first @GeoFlora Nutrients Veg top dressing yesterday and watered it in with just 200 ml of water each as they didn't really need watering yet. I don't have any photos of that though.

Here are the training photos:

GSC1 - Day 34 (LSTed only):

IMG_3538.jpeg

IMG_3540.jpeg

I'm thinking about transplanting at least GSC1 to a 5 gallon cloth pot so that I have more room to keep LSTing it but I haven't pre-prepared the pots with ProMix, GF and @DYNOMYCO yet as I'm trying to keep off my feet as much as possible due to my knee pain. I'm really looking forward to my cortisone shot next week. Our house is a disaster and as soon as I can stand and walk without pain, it will be tackled before anything else.

GSC2 - Day 35 (Topped & LSTed):

IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3544.jpeg

I've wanted to use the 12" bamboo sticks with pipe cleaners loosely holding down the stems ever since I saw @Carcass doing it. :battingeyelashes:

GSC3 - Day 35 (just topped today):

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

GSC4 - 36 Days Old (Topped & LSTed):

IMG_3548.jpeg

IMG_3550.jpeg

And, that's it. Thanks for following along.

:passitleft:

GSC1 - Untopped - 32 days old:
Looks good. Maybe put an opposite tie at the base going the other way to stabilize the stem. Otherwise you risk it pulling up the roots. And nobody wants that. ;)
What Azimuth said!

The tie to the opposite side goes just above the rock (the rock keeps the tie from sliding down) and supports the stem upright.

Also, the part to tie down is the very top rather than a few nodes up. LST works when we keep the top node lower than the lower nodes, so that's where you want to attach the pipe cleaner down to the pot.

Like this:
full

They are looking really good for only getting their first top dress. Everything else was just what you put in the soil ahead of time right?

Yep, all they had was the GF and Dynomyco that I added to the pots before transplant.

What Azimuth said!

The tie to the opposite side goes just above the rock (the rock keeps the tie from sliding down) and supports the stem upright.

Also, the part to tie down is the very top rather than a few nodes up. LST works when we keep the top node lower than the lower nodes, so that's where you want to attach the pipe cleaner down to the pot.

Like this:
full

Thank you, Shed. I was trying to base my LSTing of GSC1 on my DDA that you helped me with but I just compared the 2 photos (GSC1 and DDA) and I see where I went wrong and will fix in the morning. (your photo above helped me, too)

It really is good having you back, Shed. I missed you. :hug:

If you can get the terminal bud to be lower than others on that line, the plant will think it has lost the top and will send some of the growth hormones to the next nodes in line to make them the dominant one(s). I've often tied the top itself right down on the rim of the pot just so there's no confusion for the plant. I want it pretty obvious that the top is no longer the top. You have to be careful you don't snap it though. There's a fine line between training and stressing out the plant too much.

You'll see on Shed's plant that that is what he did, tied the top right to the pot rim. You might have to lower it more and more over the course of a few days if it doesn't want to go easily on the first try. No need to force things where they aren't willing to go.

What Azimuth said. The top need to be below the lowers for LST to work. Also, the lower orange pipe cleaner should have no slack in it, and tied where I've drawn the red line below:
IMG_3568.jpeg

It should be holding the trucnk upright as you pull down the top.

Okay. I will try again tomorrow. I'm thinking about transplanting it to its final 5-gallon pot, which would give me more wiggle room for LSTing. What do you think?

Cool trick with the clip @InTheShed I always jammed mine through the fabric pots but that looks much more sophisticated and likely increase the life of my fabric pots.
Thanks MG! I use one binder clip on the far side (not pictured) to hold down the end of the skewers in the same manner as the ones in the pic (through the loop). Practically doubled the width of the 1 gallon pot for tying purposes.

The one running the wide way is there to help tie down the lowers as they grow, in case that's not clear.

Looking much better. You can keep pulling the top down as it grows and gets used to the pull of the top tie pipe cleaner over the coming days to get it closer to the pot rim.

I still think you need to tighten the bottom restraint more. You want the bottom of the stalk firmly anchored to the pot side so when you pull on the top there is no movement down below.

I like to place the lower one first so when I do the uppers they are pulling against the anchored lower tie in opposite directions.

Back
Top Bottom