420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By HashGirl

But what is different from this one and HashGirls? We use the same stuff.
Great question. In my humble opinion it could be quite a few small things that turn into a big thing or it could be one key ingredient. Genetics, region, different water, different watering/feeding schedules, age of plants, methods of growing,etc,etc,etc. Maybe just plain luck? I’m sure you guys and gals will get her right.

NTH

That's the same stuff I started with, and I think the full-strength recommendation is 3-5ml/gallon.

The back of the bottle didn't say that. Is that for the foliar spray or for adding to the water when watering it?

Hey @HashGirl! We definitely recommend following our feeding instructions, which can be found on our site: Geoflora Nutrients | Feed Chart | GEOFLORA Organic Dry Nutrients

Regular feed schedule is a top dress every two weeks! We recommend checking the chart above for your pot size to see how much to apply.

She said she wasn't aware of the need to periodically topdress. That probably goes a long way in explaining the issue.

I have been following the instructions in the first post in the GeoFlora thread exactly.

She is aware:

I got the impression she didn't know she had to top dress at the same time as transplanting into a mix already amended with GF, not that I think that's the issue here since they were just recently transplanted.

I did not know I was supposed to top dress AND amend the medium with GF. The first post did not have this info that I saw.

Hey @HashGirl! We definitely recommend following our feeding instructions, which can be found on our site: Geoflora Nutrients | Feed Chart | GEOFLORA Organic Dry Nutrients

Regular feed schedule is a top dress every two weeks! We recommend checking the chart above for your pot size to see how much to apply.

I have been top feeding every 2 weeks and the pots the GSCs were up-potted to were amended with GF Veg prior to planting. Nowhere in the first post in the GeoFlora thread does it say I'm supposed to amend the soil AND top feed.

Hi Hashgirl :)

I just want you to know I think you are doing a great job and I have been watching you quietly from the background without swear words.

TBH it’s a new skill too. I’ve never just watched quietly without swear words in my life, but for you I’ll do it. lolllllllllling.

I have been top feeding every 2 weeks and the pots the GSCs were up-potted to were amended with GF Veg prior to planting. Nowhere in the first post in the GeoFlora thread does it say I'm supposed to amend the soil AND top feed.
You'll get back on track. These are very forgiving plants. (Ask me how I know... :confused: )

So, should I add Cal-Mag to the water AND add 1/2 cup GF to each of the GSCs today?

Hi Hashgirl :)

I just want you to know I think you are doing a great job and I have been watching you quietly from the background without swear words.

TBH it’s a new skill too. I’ve never just watched quietly without swear words in my life, but for you I’ll do it. lolllllllllling.

:welcome: to my journal, Trala and thank you for your kind words.

I do appreciate you taming your tongue here but I do believe it's part of your charm so swear away, girlfriend. Just don't swear at me and we'll be good. ;)

I couldn't wait to see if anyone replied to my post about the GF and Cal-Mag feeding today as the lights go out at 1 p.m. so I added Cal-Mag to the water plus 1/2 GF to each GSC and watered in. Hopefully, they'll start to look a little better. Here are today's photos:

GSC1 - 57 Days' Old:

Photo 1 - GSC1 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

Photo 2 - GSC1 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

GSC2 - 58 Days' Old:

Photo 3 - GSC2 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

Photo 4 - GSC2 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

GSC3 - 58 Days' Old:

Photo 5 - GSC3 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

Photo 6 - GSC3 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

GSC4 - 59 Days' Old:

Photo 7 - GSC4 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

Photo 8 - GSC4 - 8-Jul-21.jpeg

And, that's it. Thanks for following along.

So, should I add Cal-Mag to the water AND add 1/2 cup GF to each of the GSCs today?
I wasn't on here earlier, or I'd of answered that....
but yeah, you did it exactly right!
Any improvements may take a week or more to start showing themselves, but they should
start losing some of the yellowing by then- pale green at first, hopefully followed by darker (normal) green.

It may even take 2 GF+Calmag feedings to green things up, but eventually, they'll get there...
*I'd add the Calmag with every watering, not just when you feed more GF in a couple of weeks...

I have been following the instructions in the first post in the GeoFlora thread exactly.

I did not know I was supposed to top dress AND amend the medium with GF. The first post did not have this info that I saw.
@HashGirl the first post on our discussion thread does have our full feed chart, but you have to scroll down a bit to get all the info. The first image of the feed chart located there gives instructions for amending into the soil prior to transplant. If you scroll down, there's another image directly below that instructs you to apply every two weeks, and then below that image is a chart breakdown of application rates for different container sizes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about application that I can help you with! We are here to help!

@HashGirl
The first post does include feed charts with instructions that recommend adding Geoflora to soil 24-48 hrs prior to transplant and then continuing to feed by top dress.

I'm confused as to whether or not you have been applying the Geoflora every two weeks to your crops. In one post you mentioned that you only added it to the soil prior to transplant, and then here you're saying you top-fed every two weeks. If you'd like to break down the timeline of feedings for me so far, I could try to troubleshoot further!

In either case, our recommendation is the same:
1. Amend Geoflora to soil 24-48 hrs before transplant so our nutes have some time to start breaking down and become available. If you can't do this ahead of time, you can apply it when you put the plant in the soil.
2. Transplant your plants. They will have two weeks of nutes already in the soil if you amended it in there.
3. Apply Geoflora as a top dress and water it in every two weeks at the recommended rate for your pot size (bottom image in this post).

I've included the two sections of feed chart on our main discussion post that you may not have seen for your reference. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!
1625771012282.png

1625771239435.png

:welcome: to my journal, Trala and thank you for your kind words.

I do appreciate you taming your tongue here but I do believe it's part of your charm so swear away, girlfriend. Just don't swear at me and we'll be good. ;)
Thank you Hashgirl :)

And FYI I don’t swear at people, and when I say I don’t, I do, but in my defence they will have done something to really fuck me off, and when I say really fuck me off I mean caused me slight irritation.

L O L L I N G

Anyway I’ll try and be good :)

What bo/b said! I try to make transplant as seamless as possible using the inverse sandcastle method and putting the rootball in the perfectly sized hole. If I have a plant that's really rootbound I may score the outer roots with a sharp razor about 1/4" deep.

The root pruning I do is for mother plants being kept in the same small pot for months on end, not for plants I'm growing to flower and harvest.
I never thought of that for my mothers. Great i-deer. I'm gonna try it. Thanks for the tip @InTheShed

I never thought of that for my mothers. Great i-deer. I'm gonna try it. Thanks for the tip @InTheShed
All credit to the good folks at 420mag and this journal:

I'd skip the cal/mag.. This way you can figure things out.

Changing stuff mid grow and then you run into trouble - will it be the cal/mag or something else you have changed?

I only do 1 change at a time. That way if it doesn't work I know what it is that didn't work or it worked.

Leaves yellowing down low is usually:

Not enough nutrients

This can also be exacerbated by pH being off. Either the soil pH or the water pH. Usually for me its the water pH being to alkaline.

Hmmm, I can't say why some do better than others. This one has been on geoflora for it's first in the soil mix, then every 2 weeks on top twice so far and she's having a fine time of it. All Geoflora by the directions only, outdoors and a large 2.5 foot x 16 inches deep hole using foxfarms ocean forest soil. Scratching my head.
What kind of water do you use? Wondering if some who are seeing nutrient issues could be due to PH, maybe too much calcium in water blocking uptake, chlorine, etc.?

I agree - I only amended my soil (FFHF) and didn’t top dress until 2 weeks after the transplant with the amended soil.

I agree - I only amended my soil (FFHF) and didn’t top dress until 2 weeks after the transplant with the amended soil.
This is the correct method following our instructions, you're good. :)

Whats the consensus? Top dress and amend or just top dress every 2 weeks with the appropriate amount of top dress per container size??
We recommend amending for the first feeding 24-48 hrs prior to transplant to allow the nutrients to start breaking down and becoming available. Two weeks after transplant, apply your first top dress.

@HashGirl seeing these comments I realize what's confusing here.

You don't have to top-dress right after transplant because if you've amended into the soil, the nutrients are available to the plant at that time. You do want to start top dressing two weeks later to keep a steady stream of nutrients available for your plant as it grows.

I hope this clears up any lingering confusion!

Back
Top Bottom