420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Modest Grower

Looks great MG! You're going to rock this grow. There's a lot of helping hands here if something comes up. Setup looks sharp.

Happy Monday! Day 11 update for the 2 wee ones in hydro. I see one root strand out of the bottom of the basket on the first pictured seedling. The other one hopefully isn't too far behind. I know they don't look amazingly healthy but we will get the system dialed in as as we go/learn. I believe the issue with lighter color is due to early ph issues but have heard others had light leaves early on that darkened. Either way, they live another day for me to further dial in the inputs.
Day 11
20210517_122454.jpg
20210517_122457.jpg

Thanks @Dano999 and @HashFart I can't wait to see how they grow as this is my first ever hydro grow. Luckily, so many on this great site have been helping me so I am optimistic. I worry a little more about these ones due to the comparative aspect (don't want to let anyone down) and I'm so much more familiar with soil. That being said, it has been a blast so far. Here is the little one in soil. She is ready for a water/feeding. Time to up the nutes a bit :morenutes:

Day 7 soil seedling:

20210517_141619.jpg

I was pretty excited about seeing these tiny roots! I can't imagine a bucket of spaghetti :headbanger:

I'm slowly dialing in my new system! Anyone interested in hydro there are tons of great people here that will help! I documented my build in a different journal in my signature so I will just say the water temp will hopefully be around 64F and max tent temp is set at 80F. I'm going to set up a small humidifier and set the humidity at a point recommended by those fancy charts. Anyway, here are some pics! Day 11 first roots into bucket

Air temp: 77F
Water temp: 66F
Humidity: 45% RH
Ph: 6.2 (ish)
Ppm: around 700 allegedly

IMG_20210517_185137_998.jpg

IMG_20210517_185138_021.jpg
20210517_185914.jpg

Still day 11 but I feel like they are settling in!

Thanks for the opportunity @420 and @Weed Seeds Express these have been a vigorous and forgiving strain. Very grateful for this to be my first hydro strain.
20210517_221118.jpg
20210517_221141.jpg

20210517_221236-jpg.2358274

20210517_221238.jpg

Day 12 - just an environmental update for now. Atmosphere temp in the tent is between 77 and 79F the nutrient mix resevoir temp is at 66F. Ph is around 6.4 i will have to bring that down slightly (I think?) Ppm is just under 700. For now I am using tap water so there is room to grow there.

I've added a humidifier to the mix so now it sits in the mid 50% RH range. Pic was to show the tiny humidifier in the corner.

Hoping to keep the ladies happy. I'll post some day 12 pics later. Have a good one!
20210518_112556.jpg

Looking awesome bud.

I just love the turbo charged growth of hydroponic systems & once those roots hit the water zone things will soon gain vigor.

Thanks @Fuzzy Duck and thanks for stopping by! I am really excited to see it for the first time in person. I check the roots probably more than I should (quickly) can't wait to see buckets of roots and crazy growth. (Hopefully).

Very excited for this to be the strain too. Can't wait to see what the ladies put out! Have a great one!!

They are looking great!

I worry a little more about these ones due to the comparative aspect (don't want to let anyone down) and I'm so much more familiar with soil.
I think it is amazing that you jumped head first into something new for this comparative grow. It shows confidence in your ability as a cultivator even though it is a new medium to you. I think scenarios like this are exactly what this comparative needed. Something to show someone like me, that has also never done it, a journal to follow along with a newbie and see this amazing community hold you up on their shoulders so you don't go crashing down the cliff along the journey. Hold crap! That was a long runon...and on...and on...sentence. sorry.
For now I am using tap water so there is room to grow there.
Yeah, I would at least get yourself a hose RV or garden filter to aid in getting rid of some of misc stuff in tap water.

Also, please forgive the ignorance but why add duct tape to all the piping and bucket covers too? Is the possible reflection really that big of a deal or aid in plant growth? Later in veg the canopy will be covering the pipes and bucket lid right? I understand the logic behind getting more reflective materials but does it actually make a difference?

Hey @BakedARea so glad you stopped by! Thank you for your kind words! I have picked up a compact reverse osmosis filter but have yet to hook it up properly.

As for the ducting tape. If you are going to build a hydro setup it is important that light not get to the water. You can buy black buckets or paint them. I bought orange buckets and chose to smoke and wrap these in space tape while I waited for the beans.

I figure it blocks the light and may help with temps for the water and reflect light back up. Plus a bit of flair if you will. But would not do again. Just make sure anywhere water is, light can't get and you are good!

Quick Day 12 update

Both seem happy and now both have roots in the buckets. The color difference in pictures is some weird angle issue with the light and my camera but the second plant is a bit more yellow in real life. Not too bad though.

20210518_190019.jpg
20210518_190104.jpg
20210518_190039.jpg
20210518_190128.jpg

Hey @Michael Hunt thanks for stopping by! Your face always cracks me up! Pretty much all up and running now. I just need to figure out a fitting for the reverse osmosis filter (I always struggle with that type of thing) but the chiller is up, the air stones are bubbling, all is well. Thabks for all your help and tips I borrowed from your hydro journal!

Here is the soil seedling. Day 8 above soil:

20210518_215044_1.jpg

I know they don't look amazingly healthy but we will get the system dialed in as as we go/learn. I believe the issue with lighter color is due to early ph issues but have heard others had light leaves early on that darkened.
It very well could have been the ph fluctuations, it looks like they are getting better now. It's so hard to go by the first couple sets of leaves it seems. They look fine to me.
I was pretty excited about seeing these tiny roots! I can't imagine a bucket of spaghetti :headbanger:
Woo-hoo! Finer than spaghetti, and way more fluffy. They look like they would be heavy, but not overly. Soft to the touch too.
Ph is around 6.4 i will have to bring that down slightly (I think?)
You got er! Bring it down to the 5.8 to 6.0 range. A lot of people swear by 5.9
For now I am using tap water so there is room to grow there.
If it's working, keep using it. It's way cheaper, take it from me buying jugs of RO water. I need to get my system hooked up hopefully this weekend.
Both seem happy and now both have roots in the buckets.
They do look very happy. And now that the roots are in the buckets, just wait til they are touching the res. The growth will be awesome and you'll see a difference every day.
The color difference in pictures is some weird angle issue with the light and my camera but the second plant is a bit more yellow in real life.
The difference has to do with how close you are to the light. Your camera is likely on auto and it will set the white balance itself. If you have any manual settings on your camera/phone, look for the white balance setting and it should give you color temperatures from something like 2300k to 7500k. The picture on top is in the 4000-4500k range likely, more normal white light. The second picture is likely in the range of 5000-5500k. Those are just examples and guesses but if you find those setting and mess with them you'll see what I mean.

@dick23rk I always appreciate when you stop by and you give such great info!!! Thanks for the tips. I'll work on the PH this evening as I burn the midnight oil for work. I'll also check out that camera trick. Thanks again, have a great night!

Edit: brought it right to 5.9 ph and I am at 700ppm and 66F water temp. Pretty happy with it for now. Thanks for confirming on PH. Now that the roots are starting to hit the nutrient mix, I want it as close to perfect as I can be.

I noticed my little humidifier was just rolling out steam? Basically, I thought it was just a little full and would get better but I needed to re set it up and now it is working great. It brought my humidity up and now I am within parameters recommend by some of those fancy charts. Trying my best.

20210518_224420.jpg

I have picked up a compact reverse osmosis filter but have yet to hook it up properly.
We need a RO company to sponsor the site! Haaa haaa

I'm looking at getting a system too. If you don't mind me asking, which system did you end up getting and why?

At the moment, I am looking at getting an APEC system from Amazon.

So what's going on with your setup? You mentioned a fitting issues. Maybe I can help?

@dick23rk I always appreciate when you stop by and you give such great info!!! Thanks for the tips. I'll work on the PH this evening as I burn the midnight oil for work. I'll also check out that camera trick. Thanks again, have a great night!

Edit: brought it right to 5.9 ph and I am at 700ppm and 66F water temp. Pretty happy with it for now. Thanks for confirming on PH. Now that the roots are starting to hit the nutrient mix, I want it as close to perfect as I can be.

I noticed my little humidifier was just rolling out steam? Basically, I thought it was just a little full and would get better but I needed to re set it up and now it is working great. It brought my humidity up and now I am within parameters recommend by some of those fancy charts. Trying my best.

20210518_224420.jpg
You are quite close to perfect my friend. Since you're using the vpd charts you'll get dialed in really well since you're able to get the rh up.

Can't wait to see them explode, I bet they'll be double the size next week.
We need a RO company to sponsor the site! Haaa haaa
We do! There used to be a brix sponsor on here years ago which was the closest to a water sponsor I think I've seen here.
At the moment, I am looking at getting an APEC system from Amazon.
I got mine from amazon, will be hopefully hooking it up this weekend, finally :laughtwo:
I went with geekpure brand, went with a 6 stage setup so I could add trace minerals back into the water.

Back
Top Bottom