420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Modest Grower

Also, dabs are awesome and I love Dabpress. They are a sponsor and right now 15% off and free shipping. Their 6 ton full kit is perfect for a starter in my opinion.
Nice! I'll have to check it out. I'm guessing I'll have plenty of material if everything pans out in the gardens to justify getting one? I don't think I understand how much material turns into rosin.
the scissor hash has been really nice. I can't wait for the bubble hash from this
Scissor hash?! Is it exactly as it sounds? A bunch of resin from trimming then just collected into a different container?! Or you load that up into a joint or bowl and smoke it up right there?

*NOT* stoned right now... pffft

I think 20% by weight is considered good return with a press. I never weighed my rosin but I would press pucks around 7 to maybe 14 grams (14 might be high) at a time. I used to just smear it on joints and vaporize it.

You would definitely have a ton of material to play with looking at your current grow

The scissor hash has been me just scraping off the scissors as I trim and then I topped a bowl off. I've been saving the sugar leaves but I'm planning on using a lot of GSC for hash as well

Did a trichome check and it looks clear still to my terrible eyes. Looks tasty too though and smells so fruity! Hard to tell from the pictures but still fun to look at

20210910_212425.jpg

20210910_212528.jpg
20210910_212616.jpg

I think 20% by weight is considered good return with a press. I never weighed my rosin but I would press pucks around 7 to maybe 14 grams
So roughly about a gram of rosin for every half ounce of premium flower. That's pretty good. I took a look at the Dab Press site. Holy cow! There are some cool looking machines. Not sure if I can justify it at those prices but damn they look so nice and easy. I'm worried that if I try to do a small DIY press or something not as good, that I will end up not being pleased. All I know is that I really enjoy concentrates. Almost necessary at times depending on the current mood and health status.

You would definitely have a ton of material to play with looking at your current grow
Heeeee heeeee. I wish I could have you over to share man. I really do!
:passitleft:
Looks tasty too though and smells so fruity! H
Maaaaan...those pics are so damn drool worthy! I cannot wait until I can get a taste test. Haaa haaa. I'm trying so hard to not get impatient.

@BakedARea - I've read that foxtailing occurs naturally in some strains but it can also be an effect due to high heat/hot lights.

As far as I know, foxtailing doesn't affect the potency of the plant.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am guessing she will be done by next weekend which would be a nice time for me to chop. What do you all think? I'm never good at this. Pics are not the best but you can kind-of zoom in I think
Screenshot_20210911-204555_Gallery.jpg
20210911_204234.jpg
20210911_204220.jpg

Looking FROOOOOSSSSSTYYYYYYY!!! Getting me excited. I know I'm not close with my outdoor yet but I might just have to go take a close-up look at how it's coming along. So what % are you going for? I know there are different schools of thought regarding when to harvest but I think I'm going to try something a little different and harvest at different stages to test the effects if any from those different stages. Not sure if I have it in me mentally though to keep track of all that. Haaa haaaa.

You are pulling off some color Modest!!! All the hairs are orange , keep an eye on her she could be ready today or in a week , these things can change fast ...... your wife must hate your stinky sticky muck fingers after touching your sidechick that lives in that tent.... sooooooooooooo frostyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

You are pulling off some color Modest!!! All the hairs are orange , keep an eye on her she could be ready today or in a week , these things can change fast ...... your wife must hate your stinky sticky muck fingers after touching your sidechick that lives in that tent.... sooooooooooooo frostyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

So, I've read this in a few places lately. Please let me know what the colour of the hairs has to do with when it's done?

I guess it depends on what effect you're looking for. For me personally, I like more of a couch lock than an uplifting buzz so I like to let 'em go until I see a lot of amber.

@HashGirl , the pistils on many strains turn from fresh white to a darker color as the flowers mature and some growers use that to determine readiness. Louping the trichomes is a much more accurate way to tell, but not everyone has a strong enough magnifying glass, so the pistils are a reasonable alternative.

Although I think @InTheShed has said that the trichome color change may not be as accurate a measure for outdoor grows.

So, I've read this in a few places lately. Please let me know what the colour of the hairs has to do with when it's done?
On let's say 80% of plants just a number I'm tossing out there ...... all the pistils will be orange before lots of people consider looking at trichomes ...... some people or I'm just going to say it lots of old people used to harvest based of just all hairs turning orange , on most plants in my opinion if the hairs dont darken up she is not ready

Although I think @InTheShed has said that the trichome color change may not be as accurate a measure for outdoor grows.
It's not so much that trichome color generally may not be as accurate outside as much as it is that amber may not be the best gauge outside.

@Amy Gardner always told me that outside amber isn't like tent amber because of the impact of the sun on trichomes, and @BeezLuiz discovered that harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber left him with very low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results.

So we are harvesting later than we have in the past to see how that goes. I've taken to letting the plant tell me when it's done, including when the smell changes and it starts drinking much more slowly, in addition to the number of cloudy/clear trichomes.

For me personally, I like more of a couch lock than an uplifting buzz so I like to let 'em go until I see a lot of amber.
I have read about this interpretation a lot. When you harvest them earlier, with all the strains you have grown, does the buzz typically change to something more uplifting? The longer it matures, the "denser" the sedative affects?
This is where members like you are a great resource! Being able to remember details about a conversation you may have read last week or a couple years ago. Mister...ahem...down below... is very much like that!
and @BeezLuiz discovered that harvesting based on the standard tent-based reading of amber left him with very low THC numbers and zero CBN. Here are his tests results.
Once again, thanks for remembering stuff like this and posting links.
So we are harvesting later than we have in the past to see how that goes. I've taken to letting the plant tell me when it's done, including when the smell changes and it starts drinking much more slowly, in addition to the number of cloudy/clear trichomes.
Curios if you have ever harvested a plant in various stages of maturity and then compare the results? If so, is it something you happen to have a link to?

Curios if you have ever harvested a plant in various stages of maturity and then compare the results? If so, is it something you happen to have a link to?
I haven't done any staggered harvest (since my third plant...an auto back in 2017), mostly because I don't have the time or space to keep harvesting washing trimming and hanging on a rolling basis. BL's test results and Amy's wisdom were good enough for me!

I have read about this interpretation a lot. When you harvest them earlier, with all the strains you have grown, does the buzz typically change to something more uplifting? The longer it matures, the "denser" the sedative affects?
Honestly, this is where I cop to 'bro science.' I started out going for mostly amber because I read several good growers say the effect changes based on trichome color, and the "mostly amber for couchlock" was the accepted wisdom, so I just went with that.

I've never done comparison tests since I grow in a cabinet and there's not much extra space to experiment.

"mostly amber for couchlock" was the accepted wisdom, so I just went with that.
Growing in a tent, mostly amber for couchlock is good science. Naturally aged amber trichomes have converted the THC to CBN, which is the cannabinoid most responsible for body stone. It was just outside plants that needed a bit of thinking change to prevent us from harvesting too early and missing out on a lot of the THC from clear not yet gone cloudy.

Amazing looking plant!!! Holy smokes!!!

How did you decide where to sample from? How did you dry it or prep it for a taste/effect test?

Maaaaan Fuzzy. I'm jealous. I just recently tried rosin, wax, concentrate...whatever the hell it is called. Haaa haaa. Anyway, I am new to dabs and I would definitely like to be able to press my own in the future. It's only a matter of time. LOL

What press did you get?

After I was done doing some maintenance defoliating yesterday on my outdoor GSC girl #8, my oldest daughter smelled me and broke down the terpene profile. I was shocked! She picked up mint, citrus, pine, and musk. Not sure if the musk was from me though. :hmmmm: :laugh:

Could you help me understand why foxtailing is looked down upon? Or what exactly is it? I can see the general shape of the flower as a foxtail but is it something else that identifies it as well? What are the flowers supposed to look like if not foxtailing?

For a traditional strain, fox tailing is viewed as a negative plant response from "too much light". Some say it degrades THC too. I have yet to see a lab test though. In my experience added stressors increase THC such as lower temps, UV, etc. I tend to call BS to a lot of it because light meters don't lie and the times I have had it happen, light was within reasonable parameters.

Think of a standard bud like an egg. If that egg develops spikes of armor, its probably showing what many call foxtailing. This is the best way my brain can describe it lol.

What do I think causes it? Breeding is definitely one and I also think in certain strains, light can play a role and I am also wondering if heat can cause it to an extent when air flow is lacked.

Again, I am speaking on what I see in my own garden or have seen. Just things I have been noticing.

Happy Growing!

Justin

Love the conversations that are going on here! My personal thought is this strain seems to have a little bit of it in genetics just looking around but I think my underestimating of the stretch may have brought it out to another level. The plantbis like 6 inches from this beauty of a light so I bet that is playing a part. Either way it looks super frosty and smells amazing so I can't wait to harvest and sample.

If I stay true to my plan, most of this will be going to hash

If I stay true to my plan, most of this will be going to hash
I think I've changed my plan at least 2 or 3 dozen times at this point of my grow. Haaa haaa. I keep watching videos of rosin presses. I'm so damn tempted to drop some $ to get a press setup. Basically...I pay between $30-60 for a gram of concentrate at the dispensary. Sometimes I get an 0.5 or 1 gram for $1 through promotions. Needless to say that basically at an average of $40 per gram, it would only be 10 visits to the dispensary to justify even a cheaper small machine!

Back
Top Bottom