420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Motafina

Hey Moto. Nice looking garden!
Do you use eye protecting, light correcting glasses working under the HPS? If you take photos through those glasses the colours will look right.
Hi Donkey! Nope, no glasses unfortunately. My camera gets a little wonky with the HPS spectrum for some reason. Even my Nikon DSLR does the same. I'll try applying some filtering on the next set of photos....see if they look better.

Wow, I thought I had everything GSC journal, I got lost along the way. Looking good! These pictures of buds forming is making me excited. Sorry for being tardy, I'll hangout in the back if that's ok with you. Keep it up!
Hey there Modest Grower! I appreciate you having a look.

Hopefully these buds will start stacking. My quadline attempt didn't work out. I didn't top the lower node branches so they're just turning into a single big bud. Could be some nice buds though!

Update - Day 92 from seed - Day 41 of 12/12 - Day 30 from first pistils:

Last night I top dressed with a mixture of worm castings, compost, COM soil, Dynomoco and Geoflora Bloom. I watered it in with tap water that was conditioned with humic acid and calcium.

Here's pictures:

One from outside the tent:

Inside under HPS:

Same picture with an 'arctic' filter applied - not sure this looks any better:

They're cruising along. They're looking more substantial and promising. I may have to add some support pretty soon. Both plants look like indica-leaning phenos.

Update - Day 96 from seed - Day 45 of 12/12 - Day 34 since first pistils:

Just a quick photo update. These girls are coming along nicely. I'm guessing about 2-3 weeks to go.

The girls:

and some bud shots:

Update - Day 106 from seed - Day 55 of 12/12 - Day 44 since first pistils:

Today is my top dressing day - Geoflora, Dynomoco, worm castings and maybe a bit of fresh soil. I just took these photos - a few minutes after the lights came on. I'm in week 7 (since first pistils) and it looks like they've still got a couple of weeks to go. I'll start using my microscope to look at trichomes. Can't really tell where they're at until I see them under the scope.

Here are some pictures:

Buds:

The biggest issue so far is that I've been needing to stake some of the bigger buds up. One of them sort of broke when it toppled over. But it seems to be surviving.

It's hard to describe the aroma these girls put off. Somewhere between dank, rotten fruit and a bag of cocoa. LOL!

Update - Day 117 from seed - Day 66 of 12/12 - Day 55 since first pistils:

Almost there! Here's some photos:

Plants:

Buds:

And here's one that I accidentally clipped off trying to get a little bud for the microscope:

Update - HARVEST: Day 124 - Day 70/71 of 12/12 - Days 60/61 since first pistils:

I harvested both plants over the past two days - at 70 and 71 days of 12/12 respectively. The buds were very uniform, with just a slight difference in density - the smaller of the two plants having the denser buds. But color, aroma, height, leaf morphology, calyxes, trichome development, etc are all pretty much exact. Here are some pictures:

I typically have a problem with buds drying too quickly - like bone dry in 3 days. But with the summer humidity, they seem to be taking a good 10 days or so. I suppose that's a good thing, right?

Update - HARVEST: Day 124 - Day 70/71 of 12/12 - Days 60/61 since first pistils:

I harvested both plants over the past two days - at 70 and 71 days of 12/12 respectively. The buds were very uniform, with just a slight difference in density - the smaller of the two plants having the denser buds. But color, aroma, height, leaf morphology, calyxes, trichome development, etc are all pretty much exact. Here are some pictures:

I typically have a problem with buds drying too quickly - like bone dry in 3 days. But with the summer humidity, they seem to be taking a good 10 days or so. I suppose that's a good thing, right?
I'm not sure this has to much impact, but do you remember the last couple days your gals humidity levels were in bloom before you chopped? As long as your not drying in humidity levels way above the last days alive then I don't see a problem with a long dry time. I also think since the plant stays alive for a while after harvest a 10 day dry period might add extra amber to the final outcome if you chopped seeing the cloudy with a little amber. Cheers buddy nice haul ya got!

I'm not sure this has to much impact, but do you remember the last couple days your gals humidity levels were in bloom before you chopped? As long as your not drying in humidity levels way above the last days alive then I don't see a problem with a long dry time. I also think since the plant stays alive for a while after harvest a 10 day dry period might add extra amber to the final outcome if you chopped seeing the cloudy with a little amber. Cheers buddy nice haul ya got!
Thanks Moto!

The humidity's been pretty steady for the past couple of weeks and it's been lower than it was earlier in the July...so that's good at least. I harvested with just a little bit of amber. If I get a little more due to a longer drying time, that should put me right in the sweet spot. That's my optimistic outlook anyways!

Can't wait for these to be cured and ready for sampling!

Now that this GSC grow is almost closed out, here's my next project:

I haven't grown outdoors since a couple of ignorant teenage attempts in the 1970's. I've been picking off a few aphids. But other than that, these two are looking great.

Update - Final Harvest Notes:

Here's my rundown on my two WSE GSCs:

PlantYield (grams)Yield (oz)
Girl Scout Cookies #188.73.17
Girl Scout Cookies #177.42.76
Total166.15.93

I had some issues with drying on GSC #1. It went a little too dry, so it might not cure perfectly. But GSC #2 is just right at about 62% and is curing up real nice.

I definitely had relatively poor results on this grow. The main cause I believe was not getting a good root system. When I emptied the pots, there was not much roots beyond where they were at the final transplant. I typically transplant 3 times, but only did 2 this time. And I vegged a couple of weeks less.

Much thanks to Weed Seeds Express, Geoflora, Dynomoco and Sierra Naturals for their generosity. The GSC strain appears to be legit and should prove out in future grows. And the nutrients certainly did their job and were not the cause of my poor results here. That's all on me as a lazy and sometimes confused old grower.

:bravo:
Nice weights. Well done. Looked good at the end.
What are your impressions of the GSC now she’s had a little cure?
Ha ha! Thanks for reminding me! It's all still in the jar and hasn't even been tested yet. I'll break some out and post a little review.

Back
Top Bottom