420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Slammy Pajama

Slammy Pajama

:cheer: AND SO IT BEGINS!! :cheer:

Ol' Slammy Pajammy was quite thrilled to see a little FedEx package awaiting our arrival home today!! The fantastic folks down at @Weed Seeds Express did everything in their power to make sure these seeds made it down to me here in Australia, even through our strict border security! Not an easy task, but they made sure that even little Slammy didn't get left out! Can't thank you guys enough!!
IMG_20210517_194147.jpg

How could today get any better?? I'll tell you how! Having the privilege of working with the equally wonderful people at @GeoFlora Nutrients and @DYNOMYCO, who have most graciously jumped in with a complete range of fully organic dry amendments and microbe packs!! Another thanks to these legends!
IMG_20210511_214258.jpg

Something tells me this is going to be a WICKED run!! Let's try and take these seeds and nutrients to the fullest potential we can!!

Of course gotta give a huge shout-out and double thanks to @420 for making it all possible and helping me to get connected with our awesome sponsors so I could be a part of this! I wouldn't be anywhere near the grower I am today (albeit still very green!!) without this amazing place and the stellar community that we have here!! Can't wait to see what I can learn through this comparative grow!!

We will be growing directly in a home batch of living organic supersoil. My current batch is about a year old and has seen a run of plants through it, so it should be nicely broken in and ready for them! I might do a few seeds in small cups and up-pot in stages, and then do some straight into final 10-Gallon pots and see how they compare!

It's freezing cold at the moment, so we're running indoor (and we'll probably stick to flowering indoor with the way the last outdoor season went for me... But that's another story... :rofl: )

Other than that, we'll have to get some seeds starting in the next day or two, and we will hopefully have some exciting little baby plant pictures to add in the coming days!!

Thanks for reminding me, Em! I've just re-amended some bags of soil with the lovely @GeoFlora Nutrients and a packet of @DYNOMYCO in preparation for popping some seeds! :yahoo:

IMG_20210529_165717.jpg
IMG_20210529_173233.jpg
IMG_20210529_173252.jpg

I've been trying to get our plant room temps dialed in to help facilitate the seeds starting, as our nighttime temps have been plummeting pretty badly down to around 10°C, and I'm worried that will interfere with the seeds sprouting and having a happy and healthy start!

I've set up a heater in the plant room running on a timer, but we are in the negatives outside today so it's not doing as much as I need it to... I'd like to get a little seedling heat mat, But I might have to just pop a few and see what happens!

I'm planning to try some straight into their final containers, so the mulched soil mass may protect them from the temp fluctuations. Let's give it a go today and see! :thumb:

I've never tried the seed soak method before... I started in the very beginnings with a wet paper towel, and since then have become lazy and just plunk them straight into soil to germinate.

But with ambient temps being so low, I decided a soak might just be an easier way to keep them at temp! Looks like that water is right around the 22-25 degree sweet spot, so I'll try and keep an eye throughout today and make sure it's not going anywhere! :thumb:
IMG_20210531_103232.jpg

Let's dive right in the deep end and shoot for 5 straight up!
IMG_20210531_104155.jpg

Got them soaking in a bit of a kelp mix seed starter solution. I'll do whatever I can to try and ensure germination success with these lovely seeds from @Weed Seeds Express!
IMG_20210531_104208.jpg

Raised them up off the floor in a dark corner of the plant room, and we've got the heater running full blast to try and keep the plant room above 22 degrees. Should be a little easier with a clear sunny day shooting some rays in through the window!
IMG_20210531_105801.jpg

At least the ice has melted off the windows by now :laughtwo:
IMG_20210531_105713.jpg

Thanks Em! :thumb: we'll be doing another experiment and piping some kickin Halo tunes into the plant room, so hopefully that will induce a bit of a panic and a sense of urgency in all our plant friends, let's see how that goes for everybody! :rofl:

Screenshot_20210531-122008.png

IMG_20210531_162058.jpg

That's what I like to see!! Temp and RH are a little more dialed into where I want! Now the trick is figuring out what combination of factors will KEEP them there... We get such a huge temp split between day/night than we did in Newcastle, and it sure makes it hard to automate my (somewhat cowboy) setup without investing in more tech... Really need to start getting into Arduino setups so I can fully automate little custom circuits for all my different needs... But that's another story :laughtwo:

In other good news, we've had 4/5 seeds sink right down in the first few hours! Looks like it will be a long day at work for both the missus and me tomorrow, so I'll get these little babies planted down into soil tonight.
IMG_20210531_161953.jpg

This means that they'll get probably not even quite 12 hours soaking, but I'm at least satisfied that we kept them in a happy temp range for the day, and we'll trust and cross our fingers that the soil will keep them insulated enough to keep them happy. I wonder if we'll see a difference in growth between the big and little pots because of that? I guess we'll soon find out! :thumb:

Down into the dirt they go! Still is a little colder in the plant room than I would like, but the flower girls under the ViparSpectra should be coming down in the next few weeks so I might be able to get her going 18 or 24 hours a day again and see if that helps stabilise our temps a bit more!

Two down into their final 38L pots, and three more into small starter containers. I guess that makes this day one! :yahoo:
IMG_20210531_185913.jpg
IMG_20210531_185917.jpg
IMG_20210531_185920.jpg

A little late to the party. Great journal start. Excited to see those babies breach for you. I really like that you are starting some in larger containers too. It can be a tricky balancing act with water but if it goes right, I think the plants would prefer to not be messed with. My GSC #1 was planted in a larger seedling container compared to the rest and it is doing the best. Much larger and more vigorous. It could be other variables but I think it is the container size. Similar to the small ones you are using.

Hello, friends! Glad to have you! What an exciting opportunity this will be to expand my growing skills alongside some fantastic growers! :thumb:
That is exactly how I feel about this opportunity. So many great growers to watch and learn from!

Today's update:
Day 3 (still in soil)
Temp: 16-26
RH: 46-70%

No sign of any little babies yet! Soil is still pretty moist, so I held off on adding any water yet, but will probably give them a little bit tomorrow to make sure they are getting enough moisture at this stage without drowning them.
IMG_20210602_213803.jpg
IMG_20210602_213815.jpg
IMG_20210602_213809.jpg

I'm very curious to see any potential differences in growth between the big/little pots! If they grow better straight in big containers, then I'd love to save the effort of having to up-pot! :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom