420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By VetSmoke85

I love the ol scratch and sniff test. Mine don't have a super strong smell but.......goes to open tent and test...... my 2 actually seem to have quite distinct smells from one another despite looking fairly similar (leaves on one are a bit skinnier). For a lack of description one is more tangy? Mine are still in veg so this is just scratch and sniff observations at this point

And the other is closer to like a mint. Anyway, can't wait to see how everyone's turn out. Thanks for entertaining the smell questions!

They really are beautiful plants in flower.

You, Justin and Brett are the front-runners of this grow and it excites me to see how beautiful mine will get (hopefully).

The flowers seem to look thicker in the pictures than they actually are.
But...they're only halfway there, gonna be some real chonkers by the end...
You'll have to clean the goo off the walls when she's done..:oops:

And the other is closer to like a mint
I love that smell. Need to get some mint planted in the garden.
You, Justin and Brett are the front-runners of this grow and it excites me to see how beautiful mine will get (hopefully).
I've no doubt they will.
But...they're only halfway there, gonna be some real chonkers by the end...
You'll have to clean the goo off the walls when she's done..:oops:
Very true. Wouldn't it be handy if she swells up beautifully using up everything in the fan leaves leading up to harvest? Would make the trim session nice and easy :laugh: I'm not used to losing so many at this stage so it's got me a little on edge.

Looking great, Vet. I'm really fighting off the urge to put the plants into flower and your journal is not helping.
:passitleft:
:laugh: sorry dude. Always a struggle holding off on getting the flowering party started. You know a little patience will pay off in the long run though. I'll be checking in on your progress later.

Day 80 - Flower Day 32

Had another 3 litres of water tonight and top dressed 2 tablespoons of malted barley powder. Still can't smell her :laugh: It's really bizarre.
20210609_215908.jpg
20210609_215828.jpg
IMG_20210609_211401.jpg

What's the malted barley powder for?
Easiest to just give you the info from the product. Thought it was worth a try. Can't remember who but I'm sure an organic grower on here swore by it too.

Malted barley powder is barley that has been sprouted and then dried and powdered. The 2 row malted barley we use has a high diastatic power; it certified organic and sourced from the UK.

It is chock full of beneficial enzymes such as phosphatase, chitinase, urease, protease and amylase. These enzymes act as catalysts in your soil, helping microbes break matter down into nutrients your plant can use.

One of the main benefits of using Barley is that it enables plants to finish 15 to 20% faster than those without. Additionally, far less support is required in late flower as a result of the plant’s increased tensile strength.

Using Barley as a soil amendment has long been championed by the famous Clackamas Coot and it is one of his recommended ingredients in his soil mix.

Our Barley is ground to order so will be as fresh as possible when delivered to your door.

Benefits of using this product

• Growers have reported up to a 20% faster flowering finish
  • Contains naturally occurring growth regulating hormones and defence triggering hormones

Easiest to just give you the info from the product. Thought it was worth a try. Can't remember who but I'm sure an organic grower on here swore by it too.

Malted barley powder is barley that has been sprouted and then dried and powdered. The 2 row malted barley we use has a high diastatic power; it certified organic and sourced from the UK.

It is chock full of beneficial enzymes such as phosphatase, chitinase, urease, protease and amylase. These enzymes act as catalysts in your soil, helping microbes break matter down into nutrients your plant can use.

One of the main benefits of using Barley is that it enables plants to finish 15 to 20% faster than those without. Additionally, far less support is required in late flower as a result of the plant’s increased tensile strength.

Using Barley as a soil amendment has long been championed by the famous Clackamas Coot and it is one of his recommended ingredients in his soil mix.

Our Barley is ground to order so will be as fresh as possible when delivered to your door.

• Contains naturally occurring growth regulating hormones and defence triggering hormones
Well noted Vet! Finally a mark to put in for the books! That was a great teach to my brain! Cheer buddy looking healthy and great by the way!

That probably would have been @bobrown14 who got it from Clackamas Coot. They worked together early on in exploring various inputs. Coot is a reformed baker who has a scientific exploratory streak in him which is how he stumbled on the malted barley idea. He brought lots of innovative techniques to our way of doing things organically. He was in the landscape nursery business and needed a soil to grow his trees in that would last a few seasons without having to be repotted. He developed what is now known as the Coot's Mix that Bobrown and others use with great success. Bobrown has an entry in the GSC comparative grow going on now if you want to see many of the ideas in action.

There are lots of YouTube video interviews with him where Coot drops a lot of his knowledge that are worth a listen. Some are a couple of hours long so be prepared to spend some time.

In any event, as Vet said, it's some pretty good stuff, that malted barley...

Thanks, Vet.

The line that's highlighted above is what interests me most about this product. I have really floppy Alpine Stars and a Raspberry Cough right now. I've been looking into getting peony rings for all the pots for added support but if there's a way to make the stalks stronger and therefore, less floppy using a supplement, maybe that's the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom