420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By VetSmoke85

Thanks, Vet.

The line that's highlighted above is what interests me most about this product. I have really floppy Alpine Stars and a Raspberry Cough right now. I've been looking into getting peony rings for all the pots for added support but if there's a way to make the stalks stronger and therefore, less floppy using a supplement, maybe that's the way to go.
Worth a try. Some silica might help out too.

Day 80 - Flower Day 32

Had another 3 litres of water tonight and top dressed 2 tablespoons of malted barley powder. Still can't smell her :laugh: It's really bizarre.
20210609_215908.jpg
20210609_215828.jpg
IMG_20210609_211401.jpg
Whooooah! Looking awesome bro, the living soils are doing the business then :ganjamon:

This one is on the GeoFlora Bloom. She seems to be liking it.
Did you mix in geo flora bloom or just add it as a top dress at the beginning of flower? I'm not sure how I should approach flower with this in the coco at the moment.

I've been looking into getting peony rings for all the pots for added support but if there's a way to make the stalks stronger and therefore, less floppy using a supplement, maybe that's the way to go.
Don't forget about adding Silica to help with stronger stalks. Plants like horsetail fern, stinging nettle and dandelion are good sources. They can be steeped into a hot tea, then let cool and water in.

Though the barley might be more convenient since you can just have it delivered to you.

***edit: I replied before getting caught up on the posts and see Vet already had it covered.

Don't forget about adding Silica to help with stronger stalks. Plants like horestail fern, stinging nettle and dandelion are good sources. They can be steeped into a hot tea, then let cool and water in.

Though the barley might be more convenient since you can just have it delivered to you.

***edit: I replied before getting caught up on the posts and see Vet already had it covered.

Thank you, Azi. I knew about the silica but I had no idea you could find it in the outdoors. We have lots of dandelions. How much should I use and how much water?

Thank you, Azi. I knew about the silica but I had no idea you could find it in the outdoors. We have lots of dandelions. How much should I use and how much water?
That's going to be more of a Jadam process with a water extraction. Generally you'd gather up whatever you need in a bucket and cover with water and let it steep for a while. With Jadam it's just a cold water process and you let it go for weeks to months and it can stink to high heaven. BUT, you can speed it up with hot water. Boil enough water to cover your chopped up greens, and let them steep for a bit, just like making a tea you would drink.

Once it cools, dilute it 1:10 or so with water. @bobrown14 gave a recipe for horsetail fern tea in one of his threads and he stores the excess in his fridge. I think he said it will keep a week or two that way. But certainly easy enough to make a fresh batch when you need it (unless the snow is flying, lol).

Keep in mind that you will only get the water soluble goodies this way. The better way is to do a KNF type brown sugar extract following @Emilya 's Emmie's Backyard Fermented Plant Extracts From Dandelions! thread. That way will take a week or two at minimum.

Doing it that way you can make enough shelf stable and super potent extract to last the whole year. You also get all of the water soluble stuff PLUS everything else. The dilution rates for this stuff is generally 1:1000, although I usually use 1:750. At that usage rate it's 1tsp per gallon. Or, looked at another way, 1 liter of extract makes 750 liters of infused water for your plants. I've got a thread going where I show the various nutrient levels extracted from a few of the super accumulator plants using this sugar extract method including dandelion, comfrey, nettle, horsetail fern, fish, etc.

In any event, lots of ways to get at it.

Azi

That's going to be more of a Jadam process with a water extraction. Generally you'd gather up whatever you need in a bucket and cover with water and let it steep for a while. With Jadam it's just a cold water process and you let it go for weeks to months and it can stink to high heaven. BUT, you can speed it up with hot water. Boil enough water to cover your chopped up greens, and let them steep for a bit, just like making a tea you would drink.

Once it cools, dilute it 1:10 or so with water. @bobrown14 gave a recipe for horsetail fern tea in one of his threads and he stores the excess in his fridge. I think he said it will keep a week or two that way. But certainly easy enough to make a fresh batch when you need it (unless the snow is flying, lol).

Keep in mind that you will only get you the water soluble goodies this way. The better way is to do a KNF type brown sugar extract following @Emilya 's Emmie's Backyard Fermented Plant Extracts From Dandelions! thread. That way will take a week or two at minimum.

Doing it that way you can make enough shelf stable and super potent extract to last the whole year. You also get all of the water soluble stuff PLUS everything else. The dilution rates for this stuff is generally 1:1000, although I usually use 1:750. At that usage rate its 1tsp per gallon. Or, looked at another way, 1 liter of extract makes 750 liters of infused water for yor plants. I've got a thread going where I show the various nutrient levels extracted from a few of the super accumulator plants using this sugar extract method including dandelion, comfrey, nettle, horsetail fern, fish, etc.

In any event, lots of ways to get at it.

Azi

Thanks, Azi. I will check out the link. And, I've bookmarked your post.

No worries at all. Thanks for the info and links. My back garden is full of dandelions this year.

Dandelions are a great plant to use for the tea, and easy to make in small batches. It is among those plants listed as Dynamic or Super Accumulators and, because of its long tap root, it is able to "mine" minerals in the soil at levels well below what most plants can get at.

It has among the highest levels of silica (Si) of most plants (comparable to that of horsetail fern), and in addition it has pretty good levels of other minerals and nutrients like P, K, Ca, Mg, Fe, and S, so it is a good all around booster for your plants.

Horsetail fern has even higher levels of most of the nutrients with the exception of P, so that one might be another good one to use, at least in veg.

This one is on the GeoFlora Bloom. She seems to be liking it.
:rolleyes: Course it is, being a comparative GSC grow n all that! I wish my brain kicked in before my mouth sometimes, sure it comes in handy :lot-o-toke:

looks awesome bro, those geo flora nutrients seem to be doing the job then :high-five::laugh:

:rolleyes: Course it is, being a comparative GSC grow n all that! I wish my brain kicked in before my mouth sometimes, sure it comes in handy :lot-o-toke:

looks awesome bro, those geo flora nutrients seem to be doing the job then :high-five::laugh:
Sure are mate. Piece of cake.

Welcome to my addition to the 420 Magazine official Girl Scout Cookies comparative grow. @Weed Seeds Express were super quick sending out the seeds so my baby is 6 days old now.
I started things off on another journal but started this one to separate things for the comparative grow.

I'll be growing one plant in my 60x60x120cm tent. She will be in a 3 gallon pot and quadlined aiming for 12 nice big colas.

Soil - Biobizz light mix amended with living soil fertilisers dry amendments.

Nutrients - Living Soils Fertilisers wormcast, grow, bloom, bloom2 and barley.

Can't wait to see everyone's grows for this one. Great to be a part of it. Here's a little photo dump to catch up.
Hey VetSmoke85, I have some catching up to do with 19 pages here. Looking forward to seeing your GSC approach, my favorite strain. Thanks for stopping by my 4 plant organic laid back grow. Cheers.

VetSmoke85, Flowers look like GSC…happy to see that and looking great. I’m going to push veg time for yield and have your more mature grow to guide my timing decision. Our grow styles and plant structure are similar. Cheers
Thanks mate. She's going well so far. She about doubled in size after flip. I've had a manic weekend but hoping to get a bit of time tonight to catch up on all the journals again. Yours were looking great last time I checked :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom