DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc

Harvesting Question

Doc,

After recently completing a fairly disappointing grow, I do not want to have another so so outcome. Two C's two B's and an A. Don't get me wrong. They were all good, just not the quality expected. And little or no taste or smell.

My plants were very very healthy so it must be one of two things. The strains/breeder, or something I did or didn't do right. I can point to the two weakest results coming from the same breeder, and the other three from other breeders with the best plant being the White Widow from DP. (a freebie yet) So that finger (which I am not necessarily pointing yet) might point to genetics.

If one doesn't harvest at the exact 5 day window of opportunity with relation to trichomes, it still should be good weed shouldn't it? We waited longer for more of a stoney high. Only the Vanilla Kush leans that way slightly.

I'm sure our environment was not ideal, but neither is Mother Nature and she usually turns out good weed buy guys giving plants half the attention and care these got.

Any thoughts?

Re: Harvesting Question

Doc,

After recently completing a fairly disappointing grow, I do not want to have another so so outcome. Two C's two B's and an A. Don't get me wrong. They were all good, just not the quality expected. And little or no taste or smell.

My plants were very very healthy so it must be one of two things. The strains/breeder, or something I did or didn't do right. I can point to the two weakest results coming from the same breeder, and the other three from other breeders with the best plant being the White Widow from DP. (a freebie yet) So that finger (which I am not necessarily pointing yet) might point to genetics.

If one doesn't harvest at the exact 5 day window of opportunity with relation to trichomes, it still should be good weed shouldn't it? We waited longer for more of a stoney high. Only the Vanilla Kush leans that way slightly.

I'm sure our environment was not ideal, but neither is Mother Nature and she usually turns out good weed buy guys giving plants half the attention and care these got.

Any thoughts?

I have a few thoughts:

1.)Growing is a long term endeavor. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, things just don't work out, for any number of reasons. Don't let the results of one grow get you down....learn what you can and move on.

2.)What medium were you in? Were you using OC+? I can't remember. Anyhow, dirt has pockets where perhaps things were mixed up poorly, maybe the guy who made that batch forgot something....maybe the suppliers of peat to the dirt company sent a bad batch....maybe the fish guts had diesel fuel on them.....who knows?

3.)Genetics is huge! I can't believe the difference it makes.

4.)The harvest window is longer than 5 days....especially with OC+
5.)Wait till after a good month of curing before you pass judgement on taste.

But the number one factor is always environment....always.

Comparing indoor and outdoor is not valid....outdoor plants have constant temperature root zones, far more lighting, natural predators that take care of pests and many other things that make them grow larger.

Indoor plants are much more fragile....but they can also be more potent and can taste better. But they get treated poorly too.....SNAP it was noon....now it's night. BOOM, it was 77 degrees.....now it's 65. Last week they drank one nutrient, this week another......mites, PM....you name it.

A week of high humidity and low temps is enough to mess up the resin factory if it happens at the wrong time. High temps will also shut the plant down......as will really low Rh, or really high Rh.

Last grow, I had 8 very healthy plants, all potted up in the same soil, under the same light, in the same pots. One plant just up and died about 5 weeks into flower. I have no idea why.....the others were just fine.

Who knows?

In future grows, here are a few little things to remember:

Smell comes from terpenes in the resin. Sulfur is key here.....good sources of sulfur are:

Epsom salt
Gypsum
Manure.

But using each of those effects other nutrients as well.....so you've got a balancing act. If I thought my plants weren't stinky enough, I'd probably give them a bit of epsom salts and a good compost/manure tea feeding or two.

I also amend the soil with Gypsum at times.

Anyhow, I've probably said way more than you needed to hear. Keep your head up, keep growing, and learn what you can!

Imitate success. Find someone who is getting good results and copy them for a couple grows.....

copy their feeding schedule, medium, temps, and genetics......it shouldn' be too hard to get results.

Re: DocBud....New Room, Super Soil, etc.

Hash Hound:

I just looked at the last couple pics on your journal. Here are a few observations:

1.)bud structure was definitely sub-par. That almost always speaks to environment or some really whacked nutrients. I wonder if you didn't give them too many products....OC+, DM, Epsoma....perhaps a simpler approach might have worked better?

2.)All of the plants looked stressed in the latter weeks of flower....definitely environmental issues.

Here is a link that I find very helpful. I use it all the time when trying to figure out remedial action or making a soil.

concepts in plant nutrition

But overall.....Genetics!
Don't let it get you down.....just move on to the next one. But I'd keep it more simple.

For example, the plants I have growing currently are in FFOF and OC+. That's all. They're fat, frosty and dank.

Doc,

Thanks for the help. And taking the time to look into it for me. Going to take your advice and go a little simpler will be for the next grow. And I will work on getting the environment in check.

We have two clones taken from the last grow (White Widow and Kandy Kush) in the room now in soil loaded the same as the last grow. I will try to let it ride as is and not add any more things to see if we over did it last time. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Another test will be to see how the Papaya clones I gave away turn out with different nutes etc.
One guy is using almost the same soil loaded like mine, but no extras will be added.
One guy is using MG and epsoms and not much else.
And I have 2 on a hill side with OC+ only. In unaltered natural soil.
It will be interesting to see how the others turn out as to the taste, smell and stone.

We have Blueberry and Orange Bud freebies from an Attitude order on deck for the next grow, and I really want to do a good job with them.

Doc,

Thanks for the help. And taking the time to look into it for me. Going to take your advice and go a little simpler will be for the next grow. And I will work on getting the environment in check.

We have two clones taken from the last grow (White Widow and Kandy Kush) in the room now in soil loaded the same as the last grow. I will try to let it ride as is and not add any more things to see if we over did it last time. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Another test will be to see how the Papaya clones I gave away turn out with different nutes etc.
One guy is using almost the same soil loaded like mine, but no extras will be added.
One guy is using MG and epsoms and not much else.
And I have 2 on a hill side with OC+ only. In unaltered natural soil.
It will be interesting to see how the others turn out as to the taste, smell and stone.

We have Blueberry and Orange Bud freebies from an Attitude order on deck for the next grow, and I really want to do a good job with them.

Nice and simple.
Environment.
Proper drying/curing

Re: DocBud - New Room - Super Soil - Etc.

Just a few more days to go......they are getting chunky.
For the disbelievers: this is Osmocote Plus and FFOF right out of the bag with no amending.

I've used compost tea 3 times, sucanat 3 times, and snowstorm for weeks.

Oh, here's Carlos, my soil helper:

IMG_16403.JPG

IMG_16415.JPG

IMG_16394.JPG

IMG_16384.JPG

IMG_16373.JPG

IMG_16364.JPG

IMG_16356.JPG

IMG_16344.JPG

IMG_16336.JPG

Big things happening this week, and then the real growing gets under way.

Lookin mighty fine Doc them sure are some frosty buds im using Osmocote Plus for the first time this year I am having some good results I just grow outside and there getting bigger than expected very happy with the results so far and i dont have to mix ferts all the time whew thats a good thing thxs for sharing your grow with us :) :popcorn:

IM GETTIN ANXIOUS!!!! time for another Bowl :roorrip:
Great link on plant nutrition

The girls look killer as always! I love the cement mixer...I started looking at them myself after my second batch of soil.

Damn Doc!!! Those buds look unbelievable!!! I can't believe how awesome that OC+ seems to work!!! What kind of lighting are those ladies under?

Damn Doc!!! Those buds look unbelievable!!! I can't believe how awesome that OC+ seems to work!!! What kind of lighting are those ladies under?

I was hoping someone would ask this, thanks!

The OC+ isn't what makes the plants grow so well.....it's the environment. I always say it....and I'll say it again:

The most important thing is the environment. Until the last 2 weeks their environment was perfect. It hasn't been as good since using these stupid tents, but it's still been decent.

These 4 plants have been under 2 1000 watt lights their whole lives. Lately, I've had to dim the lights to 600 and 750 watts, due to temps.

But that is why the plants look good. It has very little to do with the nutes.

I was hoping someone would ask this, thanks!

The OC+ isn't what makes the plants grow so well.....it's the environment. I always say it....and I'll say it again:

The most important thing is the environment. Until the last 2 weeks their environment was perfect. It hasn't been as good since using these stupid tents, but it's still been decent.

These 4 plants have been under 2 1000 watt lights their whole lives. Lately, I've had to dim the lights to 600 and 750 watts, due to temps.

But that is why the plants look good. It has very little to do with the nutes.

Now you have me intrigued. Are you saying that the plants liked the lights dimming at the end?

Now you have me intrigued. Are you saying that the plants liked the lights dimming at the end?

No, the plants liked the reduction in heat that came with the dimming of the lights.

:bongrip:

No, the plants liked the reduction in heat that came with the dimming of the lights.

:bongrip:

Yep. It was due to temps.

However, plants don't mind a few days of low light once in a while. When you've got a heat wave and garden temps tend to get higher than you'd like, turn down the wattage for a couple days.

The plants will respond better to the good temps than they will suffer from the lower lighting.

Doc another important factor is that you had so few plants under the 2 1000 W
having few plants under a light alows for better photosynthesis better airflow etc.
we try to Never have any more than 4 or 5 plants per 1000 watt Hps in flowering by doing this we get better bud structure and better producing plants than when packed in...
we on average pull 2 1/4 LBs per 1000 watt and working on getting it higher!

Doc another important factor is that you had so few plants under the 2 1000 W
having few plants under a light alows for better photosynthesis better airflow etc.
we try to Never have any more than 4 or 5 plants per 1000 watt Hps in flowering by doing this we get better bud structure and better producing plants than when packed in...
we on average pull 2 1/4 LBs per 1000 watt and working on getting it higher!

How long do you veg each plant?

we veg from clone for about 3-4 weeks depending on if we are topping. we top at 3 weeks and give it a week before a 24 hr dark before flowering. all Coco soil mix. the Hydro plants stay around 3 Ft and the Soil hits 4-5 Ft all have multiple main colas we ame for 4 main branches when topping and than a week in to flowering we skirt the girls down to just the 4 branches and skirt them to the 3rd of 4the node... they look barren but after the second week in flower they are happy little girls end up with colas the size of 2 liter bottles alot of the time.
i checked with my boss and i cant take any more pics of the grow till things are calmed down with all the changes... he doesnt want anything to go haywire.... i can understand that!

These are the last pics of the Jack Herer while they're still growing. I'll harvest on Saturday and maybe take some pics of a few of the nugs....I'll try to get my camera settings a bit better.

snipped.jpg

IMG_16546.JPG

IMG_16527.JPG

IMG_16517.JPG

IMG_16507.JPG

IMG_16446.JPG

IMG_16433.JPG

IMG_16424.JPG

Here's the Willie Nelson and Space Jill. The Willie Nelson is showing massive Sativa traits already....already have 9 bladed leaves in a seedling!

These are potted up in Vermicrop all organic soil. To that I added some micro's and top dressed with Mango Mulch, a really great compost/fertilizer....also all organic.

These girls will get planted into 7 gallon pots with Subcool's Super Soil in the bottom, and Vermicrop on top.....top dressed with Mango Mulch.

I'll feed compost tea now and then.....some Molasses (taste is better than Sucanat IMO) and Snowstorm when the time comes. I'm also going to Bushmaster the Willie Nelson on about day 10 after pre-flowers show.

These are on a 12/12 schedule, from seedling through harvest.
IMG_16497.JPG

IMG_16487.JPG

IMG_16479.JPG

Back
Top Bottom