420 Purkle's Reserva Privada Quantum Board Grow

Purkle

High everyone!

Well it's been a while after my last grow, which I pretty much abandoned the journal where I had some Sour Diesel and Kings Kush CBD plants.

This time around I will only be doing a 4 post entry for this current journal where I am again growing Reserva Privada Sour Diesels.

I won't lie, this strain is a bitch to grow sometimes and is really fussy about its growing environment and nutrient feedings but on the other hand they always seem to be quite consistent across each pheno producing resin heavy, dense, golf ball shaped buds which hums of gas. I've grown this strain 3 times now and it's like meeting an old friend when I pop new beans.

This round has already had its difficulties with losing 2 sour diesel babies due to medium issues which I will explain later. In saying that, this round also brings a few upgrades to the tent including a new set of quantum board lights, a new carbon filter/fan set, a change in soil and nutrients and some other future upgrades and amendments are in the works.

Let's get down to the nitty gritty:

What strain is it?
Reserva Privada Sour Diesel Feminised
Genetics: ’91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL x DNL.

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
60% Indica : 40% Sativa.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg.

If in Veg... For how long?
I tend to play it by ear. So far 2 months.

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor.

Soil or Hydro?
Soil and coco mix.

If soil... what is in your mix?
60 percent peat based soil/40 percent Coco coir.

If soil... What size pot?
Currently in 5 litre/1.3 gallon plastic pots and will be going into 19 litre/4 gallon fabric pots.

Lighting?
2 x Atreum 288.2 LED Boards with Samsung 301b diodes with frame
1 x Atreum
ARA-40 LED Light Bar with Samsung 301b and Cree XP-E Deep-Red 660nm supplementation.

Is it aircooled?
Yes, a fan blows on top of the lights which have Aerospace-grade Aluminum Heatsinks.

Temp of Room/cab?
27 to 30 degrees Celsius.

RH of Room/cab?
Currently 37 percent RH.

PH of media or res?
6.2 to 6.3.

How often are you watering?
Wet dry cycle. Only watering when dry.

Type and strength of ferts used?
Currently only using a homemade top soil amendment mix of fish blood and bone with liquid seaweed added to watering as well a premix of fish blood and bone, earthworm castings, bat guano and microrizomes with my medium. I'll be using Gaia Green all purpose 4 4 4 and the 2 8 4 come flower.

Other equipment?
Dehumidifier, PH tester, Black Orchid carbon filter fan and ducting set, daewoo fans.

I do want to give a massive thanks to Purple Gun Rack who helped me out with the lights, thanks to his posts on his LED set up and messages, I now have a bit more understanding on LED QB and cobs.

So just to catch everyone up, I popped the last 4 beans of the Sour Diesel photoperiods by Reserva Privada of which I lost 2 to soil and pH issues as I originally had them all in Coco but I wasn't PHing the run off after a water only feedings resulting in the loss of the 2 babies.

After losing 2 seedlings, the remaining 2 had nutrient issues which showed by the leaves turning yellow so I proceeded to flush the seedlings twice in 6.2 PH water.

The flushing did the trick but one of the girls was much faster bouncing back with new healthy growth compared to the other, however after a repot into my new soil mix and a watering with added liquid seaweed, both girls are looking ship shape!

After the recovery and some new healthy growth, I topped both plants at the 4th node and removed the first 2 nodes to start training.

I continued to top the new growth until I had 12 main tops. I then tied the tops to the sides of the pot on the faster growing girl to train the main colas outwards as well as letting lower growth on the main colas start shooting up. One the slower girl has caught up I'll do the same.

Now some pictures!!

First up the new lights
Really excited about these and the growth so far is speaking volumes compared to the blurple lights.

Next up a snap of the babies after the topping recoveries

And as of today the girls plodding along nicely while being trained

Sorry about the pajamas in the last pic

Peace ✌

Hey @Purkle! Awesome looking setup man and choice of gentics! :bongrip::theband::roorrip:
Iv'e never seen a light like that before - looks real boss and i'm looking forward to see what it can do for you.
Plants are looking strong and stocky, nice job on the topping & training - let's see how it plays out :headbanger:
See you around :Namaste: Happy growing

Hey @Purkle! Awesome looking setup man and choice of gentics! :bongrip::theband::roorrip:
Iv'e never seen a light like that before - looks real boss and i'm looking forward to see what it can do for you.
Plants are looking strong and stocky, nice job on the topping & training - let's see how it plays out :headbanger:
See you around :Namaste: Happy growing

Hey @irie lion,

Thanks I'm quite happy with the way it's going even with the hiccups at the start. Loving the light! It's my first QB after deciding on switching from the blurple.

Thanks for dropping in and you're welcome any time :)

Hey @irie lion,

Thanks I'm quite happy with the way it's going even with the hiccups at the start. Loving the light! It's my first QB after deciding on switching from the blurple.

Thanks for dropping in and you're welcome any time :)

Setup looks awesome mate. Is that a 3x3 tent? QB's are way more efficient than high power blurple LED's so you made the right choice. 2x288 plus the strips will do the job. You will definately be impressed with the result.

I will have some heat issues soon so I am making plans for building my own quantum boards. I will use 2x288 for my 3x3 tent.

I used 2x Viparspectra r300's for my last grow in a 2x2 tent. Electricity bill was no less than HPS. Result was a little bit better than 250W HPS but still I had to use too much power to get some fine Blue Cheese buds like this;

High power LED's don't provide too much. They just heat less than bulbs but they almost have the same power consumption. Quantum boards, especially the ones made with LM301b diodes are the best grow lights you can buy.

I wish you good luck with your grow. Keep us posted :passitleft:

Setup looks awesome mate. Is that a 3x3 tent? QB's are way more efficient than high power blurple LED's so you made the right choice. 2x288 plus the strips will do the job. You will definately be impressed with the result.

I will have some heat issues soon so I am making plans for building my own quantum boards. I will use 2x288 for my 3x3 tent.

I used 2x Viparspectra r300's for my last grow in a 2x2 tent. Electricity bill was no less than HPS. Result was a little bit better than 250W HPS but still I had to use too much power to get some fine Blue Cheese buds like this;

High power LED's don't provide too much. They just heat less than bulbs but they almost have the same power consumption. Quantum boards, especially the ones made with LM301b diodes are the best grow lights you can buy.

I wish you good luck with your grow. Keep us posted :passitleft:

Hey @TriangleCheese!

Thanks for dropping by :).

Thanks for the input man it's always appreciated. The tent is a 4 x 4 but I do have a plan to add an additional LED bar in flower like the one I have at the moment.

It's funny I didn't notice much savings on electric with my blurples either! Though Viparspectra is a good way to go for a budget blurple. I had a 900w vipar in my last grow and it handled 6+ plants in my 4 x 4 quite well but 8 expect to see some fatter and more importantly, frostier buds under the 301bs!

I love cheese strains! And that is a gorgeous looking bud! I plan on trying Greenhouse seeds Francos Lemon Cheese at some point.

Thanks for dropping in and stop by any time!

✌️

Hey @TriangleCheese!

Thanks for dropping by :).

Thanks for the input man it's always appreciated. The tent is a 4 x 4 but I do have a plan to add an additional LED bar in flower like the one I have at the moment.

It's funny I didn't notice much savings on electric with my blurples either! Though Viparspectra is a good way to go for a budget blurple. I had a 900w vipar in my last grow and it handled 6+ plants in my 4 x 4 quite well but 8 expect to see some fatter and more importantly, frostier buds under the 301bs!

I love cheese strains! And that is a gorgeous looking bud! I plan on trying Greenhouse seeds Francos Lemon Cheese at some point.

Thanks for dropping in and stop by any time!

Adding another strip would be a good idea but I would consider adding a third board instead.

900W Vipar reflector series consume 390 watts of power. I have 2x 300 watt assemble, consuming 260 watts total. I was using 260 watts for 2x2 tent and it was allright. I wouldn't have stacked more in that grow space. For a 4x4 tent though, 900W Vipars can do the job I agree but I think you need at least 1500-1600 watts of Viparspectra reflectors to get the most out of your plants. That would draw around 650 watts from the wall. We can say that this is a little bit better than the 600W HPS but can't match a 800W.

Your QB setup draws 240W from the wall. That can match a 450W HPS easily. Plus, your strip has mostly lm301b's so it can be considered highly efficient as well. Adding that, your setup can overpower the Vipar R900's. If you add one more strip or board, you will almost have 1000W HPS equivalent light and that is f*ck*ng killer :blunt:

Franco's Lemon Cheese is in my shopping list as well. One of my favourite strains from GHS is Exodus Cheese. I used to grow this one and a super silver haze from GHS. I collected lots of kief from SSH and used to roll joints with the Exodus Cheese and dip the joint into SSH kief. Called it the lemon cheesecake.

Franco's strain may save us from that trouble. R.I.P. :passitleft:

Oh I forgot to add, although I'm only doing a 4 post entry, all 4 posts will have a general run down of the ups and downs of the grow but I am also doing a week by week for better comparison.

Nice pics Purkle :bravo:

Hi all :),

I cant tell you all how much happier I am using these new lights! The Samsung 301b diodes are kick ass and my added bar with the Cree deep red diodes has helped a lot with growth rate.

So here is update numero dos!

Just a really quick run through on how we got here.

After the last update I had been training the girls from their 4 main cola which were both topped and topped again to get 16 main colas. My plan was to fill the tent out with these two girls and also to get some cuttings as I really love this strain, even with its problems. The smoke blows my head off every time.

Anyway about 2 weeks after my first update, I managed to snap one of the main top colas of Pheno 2 (Slow girl). Nightmare! she was already slow to catch up so now I had to decide how I wanted to proceed with 3 main colas. I ended up topping the now 1 main cola at the top and left her to grow out while continuing the training with both girls.

My training has been pretty basic this time around. I have just been LST'ing te tops down to allow all the shoots in the middle to come up and meet the top colas. I use green garden ties which are perfect as they dont cut into the plant stalks or ruin the leaves.

Training:

Pheno 1:
22.05.19 -
29.05.19 -

Pheno 2 Slow Girl:
22.05.19 -
29.05.19 -

Pheno 2 Slow Girl - The Snap :(:
22.05.19 -
29.05.19 -
At this point I just wanted Pheno 2 to catch up as best it could! So I got strict with my feeding and getting the tent dialed in properly.

The feeding I have down as I only feed with water and added liquid seaweed (roughly 40ml of liquid seaweed to 10L of water). I have found liquid seaweed to be my most invaluable nutrient. Not only does it give the plant a good amount of NPK it has also been shown to be excellent for root growth and can also be used as a foliar spray to boost growth and a good foliar spray for cuttings. Other than the liquid seaweed I mix a blend of bat guano, earthworm castings and fish blood and bone mix with bio bizz light soil. When needed I will top amend with bat guano and fish blood and bone mix although the fish blood and bone mix is quite high in phosphorous so is more useful in flower when more phos is needed.

With the lights beating down nicely, the intake fan bringing fresh air back into the tent, the fan moving the air around to avoid any mold problems and the wind from the fan is also a good detterent against knats and other pests. I check my plant regularly for signs of any nutrient issues and pest or mold problems. The humidity and temperature in the tent is pretty constant so I dont need to worry too much with adjustments so far.

All really that was left was to get some carbon dioxide into the tent so I made a home made version using yeast, a coke bottle and luke warm water. Thats it! It really does work but its definitely something that needs replacing every week but this was just temporary until I got a carbon dioxide bag from amazon which last roughly 2 months.

Now everything was dialied in, I could see the growth rate increase with the girls so it was time to start defoliations!

I started with a light defol.

Group shot before defoliation:

03.06.19 -
Pheno 1 after defoliation:

03.06.19 -

Pheno 2 after defoliation:

03.06.19 -

Group shots afer defoliations:

03.06.19 -

Then on with the heavier defoliations after a repot into their final 19L/4Gal fabric pots:

Pheno 1:

10.06.19 - Repot - (Slight Nitrogen def - Fixed with repotting) -
13.06.19 - First heavy defoliation -
24.06.19 - Second heavy defoliation
BEFORE -
AFTER -

Pheno 2:

10.03.19 - Repot -
24.06.19 - Second heavy defoliation
BEFORE -
AFTER -

Group Shots:

17.06.19 - 1 weeks growth after defoliations -
24.06.19 - Second heavy defoliations -

Aaaand finally this leads us to last week and today.

This week I got a better floor standing oscilating fan which is going to come in much more use than the small office fan which doesnt oscillate when it comes to flower.

This week I took the opportunity to really get into the middle of the plants and do one last heavy dofoliation and lollipop. Although the defoiations have done their job in bringing the lower growth up, there was a lot of growth on the bottom that will not get enough light to develop to it best potential so off they come!

I have also been doing a foliar spray every night before lights out to boost the growth before I switch them into flower next week.

I figured I would grab some cuttings while I was lollipopping ready for the next round:

Pheno 1:

27.06.19 - After Lollipop and last defol - 01.07.19 - After feed and foliar sprays -

Pheno 2:

27.06.19 - After Lollipop and last defol - 01.07.19 - After feed and foliar sprays -

Thats about all for now!

See you all next time when I will be amending my top soil for flower, the switch to flower and a few other flowering updates!

:snowboating:

Hey Purkle! :ganjamon: Awesome update! Bad luck on the snap on pheno 2, but she bounced back well! Nice job on the training and defols, they're looking great! :bravo: You've got loads of tops to work with on these girls - can't wait to see them in flower!

Hey Purkle! :ganjamon: Awesome update! Bad luck on the snap on pheno 2, but she bounced back well! Nice job on the training and defols, they're looking great! :bravo: You've got loads of tops to work with on these girls - can't wait to see them in flower!

Hey @irie lion!

Thanks bru! I try my best :).

I'm quite happy with them but they won't be monsters like yours turned out!

I'm going to do my best to get the fattest and frostiest buds I can! Just got to stay on top of the tent conditions and feeds :).

Cant wait to see your next run man. What's going in for the next run?

Just got to stay on top of the tent conditions and feeds :)
So far so good!
Cant wait to see your next run man. What's going in for the next run?
I got mature clones of everything i flowered last so i'm thinking of just running 4 cheese girls again, or 2 x cheese & 2 x Double Glock as it was super impressive. :yummy:
What area are you? If you are anywhere near the Western Cape i can hook you up with some clones for your next round if you'd like? :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom