420Blue's - Soil - Unknown Strain - Micro DIY Closet Box - 46W CFL - 2015

420Blue

420 Member
Hello internet!

I'm a first time stealth grower. My goal is to grow something that makes you laugh. My question to you fellow forum visitors is how to grow my unknown strain, to have best "laughing effect". Thank you
I will try to post as many images as possible.

I kept it cheap, diy style.

This is a free grow, total of 0 money was spent on grow box (only househeld items),

Parts used:
2x Househeld CFL 23W
2x scrapped computer fan
Cardboard
Closet
Electricity supplies
aluminium foil

General info:
What strain is it? Unknown I found seeds in some really bad tasting outside-grown stuff.
It is in Veg for 3 weeks
Indoor Soil grow
What is in your mix? 50% potting soil, 50% compost, random brand
If soil... What size pot? 2,25l = 0.6 gallons
Size of light? 2x 23W CFL 1200lm 2700K I'm going to change it to 6500K when I get my hands on it.
Is it aircooled? I used 2 scrap fans, computer fan is blowing plants and laptop fan (with resistors for noise limiting) for separated light cooling
Temp of Room/cab? 25-29°C = 77-84 F
RH of Room/cab? 50-70% depending on soil moisture
Any Pests ? None.
How often are you watering? when soil feels mostly dry
Type and strength of ferts used? I add half of the instructed amount into water for bigger plants (3+ good nodes)

Germination:
So I got some seeds in some bad outside grow that my friend may have sold me some time ago. These were all early, so I decided to germinate all 50 of them, expecting low germination rate. I placed them in wet paper inside my computer to keep it warm.
Seed17.jpg

germination7.jpg

Vegetative:
I placed sprouts directly into soil, out of 15 only 5 have survived, don't ask why. Ventilation was yet to be done, so Temps and RH went high, slowing down growth. I also had to use single light bulb cause of heat. That also caused mycelium to develop as white thin layer over the dirt.
day 6: I introduced fertiliser (concentration described b4). It was too early and we got a little burn later on.
SproutView.JPG

Here's second biggest in comparison between day 3 and day 7:
comparison11.JPG

And an image of fertilizer burn taken few days into week 2:
burn113.JPG

2nd week: I attempted to eliminate mycelium by introducing H2O2 - no idea if that caused it, but at this point, the number of survivers gets down to 5 plants. Nothing much to say here. On day 12 I did first FIM topping on a plant with 4th young node. I enjoy this image very much.
FIM110.JPG

Day 14: FIM caused the plant to go bushy, all nodes stared making extra leafs, .... heaven to watch.
bushy19.JPG

also day 14, I added DIY light cooling system. It features laptop fan for extracting, clear foil, ... I added holes so it extracts air from the room. I plan to change it once the flowering stage starts.

Getting bushy
IMG_050826.JPG

3rd week
Day 22 images

I know you love plant images... here's some candy just for you!

IMG_052921.JPG

IMG_053926.JPG

IMG_054024.JPG
IMG_054128.JPG
IMG_054531.JPG
IMG_055025.JPG
IMG_056027.JPG
IMG_056319.JPG

Grow Closet setup

I used a cabinet with sizes 40x55cm and 32cm high = 15.5x21.5" and 12.5" high.
Wired AC wall plug and mounted it in the back panel.
IMG_045024.JPG

Modified fan - hanged it on thick rubber, isolates sounds from closet. This is inside fan, 70mm diameter.
IMG_052029.JPG

First setup: One bulb and passive cooling
IMG_045127.JPG

I also implemented air cooling for CFLs late in week 2:
Light_cooling.JPG
IMG_20150513_090800.jpg
IMG_20150513_090833.jpg

Air circulates through 2 holes, idea is to send air through top part for it to cool on the tile. This is useless, at the moment I keep only a small place behind open for hot air and moist to escape. I'll have to look into closing the loop later in the flowering stage.

More images and thread updates coming up soon.
Cheers.

Day 23: I noticed yellow dots on the underside of few leafs. After a close photo I think it's a sort of Aphid. Scraped them off, I hope they didn't leave anything behind.
IMG_057026.JPG

IMG_057324.JPG

I missed FIM topping
I should've noticed long time ago, but I just realized today... I failed FIM... It's obvious as I FIMed at 4th node, and there are 7 nodes now.
IMG_058529.JPG

The plant got even denser. Branches are beginning to grow.
IMG_057927.JPG

The picture above shows 4th node and what I believe to be either small leafs or pystils.
Are these pystils? If they are, they seem to be female, judging by the shape (no balls...)
As I said this is 4th node, and just above was my FIM cut.
So the biggest question I have:
Is the plant developing correctly for this closet? is it getting too big? I'm aiming for LST now.
IMG_058830.JPG
IMG_060324.JPG

I forgot to mention before, I'm running 24/0 light cycle. I read somewhere that it's possible to switch to veg with 18/6 cycle. Would that increase the speed of growth, or does light cycle not matter at all?

Anyways thank you for your feedback, I'll start flowering now. :thanks:

5th week
day 34, 11th day of flowering

Recently, I added 3rd CFL, so now it's 3x23W. The temperatures went higher, up to 34°C (93F).

I had to start LSTing the plant cause of space problems.
IMG_062924.JPG
IMG_063224.JPG
IMG_063434.JPG
IMG_063622.JPG

Thoughts?

Day 17
Couldn't find anything for SCROG, but I did switch to wire to tie down stems to avoid elasticity in ropes, works fine at the moment.

Fans, inlet fan seems as a next step (from builder perspective), I'll try to get my hands on one.

I programmed lights to 12h ON, but added a 15min break every 2h. It does make temps lower, but also gives 90min less light per day.
Q: Should I compensate that time?

I'll try to rise CO2 with yeast+sugar mix, might help with the heat. Average RH is <50%.

No gender indications at all.
IMG_064230.JPG

No you don't have to make up that time. Think like this a plant need 12/12 to kick it's self into flower mode. So the plant thinks it fall. Well as the year go on and on we get less sunlight everyday. Plant feel this. That's why they do what they do.

I like doing 12/12 for two weeks. Then I flipp to a 10/14. Plants seem to react to it. Just an opinion though. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Looking great.

Now that you mention the color... I think you are looking at the wrong part... well I hope, that anticipation...
I meant these small green growths:
IMG_064933.JPG

Location seems to match with random internet images

(NOT MY IMAGE, source is this forum)
femalepreflowers.jpg

It is also visible on the left.

I'll assume it's too early to draw any conclusions, but it is a sign of flowering. It is only visible to eye as a dot. I had to touch the stem with the camera lens to get this big image, and I zoomed it before uploading... It's very small, so it must be too young.

Let's give it a couple more days.

Also small update: I placed some tin foil over soil and apparently temperatures dropped. Keeps the soil and cabinet cooler, redirects light to leafs, apparently it's a good thing. I deleted light breaks on the timer, let's see how it goes tonight.

Day 47 = day 24 of 12/12 cycle

This is a technical update. This is a stealth grow and laptop fan was just too loud and weak. I replaced it with a 120mm fan, wired to a voltage regulator.
IMG_068833.JPG

The air-flow schematics. The system changed it's orientation (from left to right hole). New part is where the hot air goes (box where red arrows loop). The air is sucked into 2 paths, one is cooling lights, other is cooling plants.
IMG_067130.JPG

The end result: Very quiet and well cooled room. Temperatures stable at 28°C = 84 F. I could even add another bulb now.

Q: Should I add another bulb? Will it noticeably increase yield? I'm running with 3x20W at the moment.

LST working, I switched to rope now, it has better friction and stays where you place it.
IMG_067433.JPG

No significant developement on sexes.

Back
Top Bottom