420islife

Welcome guys this will be my first indoor grow ever

Strain: Bag Seed
Tent Size: 80cm/80cm/160cm
Lighting: various.....keep changing my mind on what option to run with
Substrate: coco coir
Nutrients: hy-gen coco grow a+b & hy-gen budlink
Other: Inline fan & phresh variable speed extractor fan & can-light filter

Ok guys so this grow has had a few ups and downs and with some help from scientific I hopefully have got it going now

*8/11/176 Seeds put straight into damp paper towel
*13/11/17 Was a lazy dad and didn't take them out till the had sprouted 2-3cm 5/6 transplanted into rockwool and placed in clone tent with t5 light on 24/0
*18/11/17 Placed into small pots 1L with coco coir and placed into the 80x80x160 tent with a 600w hPs light 18/6... best looking plant was kept under the t5 in clone tent
*26/11/17 After feeling like things were not going well I joined here and posted asking for more help Changing light times
Here is what the plants were looking like then
420-magazine-mobile1990989933.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2101591575.jpg

So I got some advice
-that I wasn't feeding enough due to the fact coco has not nutrient value
-there was a underwatering issue
-there was heat issues

After this I took it on board and turned the hPs off put the fluro in the bigger tent and had all the plants running back on 24/0
So a week in the new conditions being feed twice a day at 1:1000 mix 5.5ph and 0.9ec
And they were looking like they were starting to pump up abit more
420-magazine-mobile852305993.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1371179074.jpg

The stunted one at the front is looking slit better then it had been so I think it's starting to come to

*This morning I woke up and had a change of heart have turned the t5 off and have hooked up a 400w retro mh globe into the hPs setup lets see how this goes have the day off work so will see how it will cope with heat. But the day is cooler then it has been and also hoping the 400w mh throws less heat then the 600w hPs

So jump on board any advice is always appreciated

Day 21:
So after installing the retro 400w mh into the tent and turfing the t5 I believe growth has started coming along.
I have been mixing my nute in 10l batchs which is lasting 3-4 days and after rechecking the ph every morning now a stable 6.2 I have learnt that you need to give the ph down a little more time to work... another noob mistake...
anyways here's a new photo the one circled is the Stunted one from the original photos
420-magazine-mobile357455614.jpg

Also thought I would have a go at a diy airpot as could t justify paying for 4 cloth ones
Made from a $2 waste paper basket and about .25 of chux approx 10L
420-magazine-mobile2129305265.jpg
and another cheapskate instead of perlite/vermiculite am using some washed river stones from the aquarium....

Is that ontop of the current feed schedule scientific??? Have many a fish tanks and have previously thought of running that route as they are all 6.0ph

And out of boredom today I decided it was time to repot them into there final homes... forgot to take some pics when was doing it but little mini had as good as a root system as the best one so here hoping that she'll pickup and be as big as her sisters soon

Is that ontop of the current feed schedule scientific??? Have many a fish tanks and have previously thought of running that route as they are all 6.0ph

I just like the idea of a closed-loop system. ;) (I had a big planted tank for 30 years until I moved and have been getting the itch to set up another lately. It's so nice to stare into that bright tropical world when it's dark and cold outside and the days are short.) I don't think 20 PPM of fishy nitrates is going to throw off the balance (or contribute all that much either I guess...).

Better to repot sooner than later. I hate the thought of tap roots hitting the bottom of the pot and having nowhere to go! ;)

Hey scientific I'd love to aquaponoics through one of the tanks the missus would kill me if anything happened to one of her fish or shrimp tanks.. but I do have permission to take water when needed and can have all the filter contents if wanted and I know it's concentrated stuff if I use that made my lawns so green at my old place.. so let me know your thoughts on what/how o should go about it..

Day 22. Evening
Here's a update now everyone is in my homemade airpots.. and thinking I may have to give them some names soon to distinguish who is who
Group shot
420-magazine-mobile1740467745.jpg

Big girl
420-magazine-mobile1949566168.jpg
420-magazine-mobile449138177.jpg

She has some yellowing (next photo)but other then that she is coming along plump and beautiful will probably start tying her down soon which will be easy with the homemade airpots
420-magazine-mobile1979852362.jpg

Pot with stones
420-magazine-mobile1199741619.jpg
420-magazine-mobile770671609.jpg

Is gaining momentum.. As was once the second smallest

Middle child
420-magazine-mobile646067795.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1530491448.jpg

And finally little miss
420-magazine-mobile2021770511.jpg
420-magazine-mobile783187967.jpg

Using fishwater (no solids) as a base with
Hy-gen coco grow + budlink
Ph 6.2
Ec. 1.3
Well that's tonight's update

Hey scientific I'd love to aquaponoics through one of the tanks the missus would kill me if anything happened to one of her fish or shrimp tanks.. but I do have permission to take water when needed and can have all the filter contents if wanted and I know it's concentrated stuff if I use that made my lawns so green at my old place.. so let me know your thoughts on what/how o should go about it..

I think you could just use "fish water" as the starting material for mixing your nutes. Even water from a dirty tank (say 20 PPM according to my nitrate text kit) isn't high enough in nitrates to throw off the fertilizer balance. For that same reason I guess you could say why even bother then except it's the green thing to do and kind of cool to convert fish flakes into THC. ;) Maybe just dumping it and the filter muck on the roses makes more sense?

Day 22. Evening
Here's a update now everyone is in my homemade airpots.. and thinking I may have to give them some names soon to distinguish who is who

I love the home made air pots. Air pots are awesome! Those leaves have a really interesting shape the way they widen at the ends.

What deficieny would the yellowing be?

The plants look good. Maybe just a little bit of yellowing at the tips (which would probably be from lack of N)? You're giving them about 600 PPM commercial fertilizer at every daily watering? That should be plenty to keep them healthy at this stage.

Hy-Gen's feed chart says you should be feeding 3 ml of A and 3 ml of B for each liter of water. The usual advice is to start feeding at 1/2 manufacturer's recommended levels, so that would be 1.5 ml of A & B per liter. If it was my grow, since I'd be watering every day (at least), I'd start with 1 ml per liter and increase until I started to see a little bit of tip burn, then back off. That (i.e. 1:1000) would seem to mesh perfectly with what you're already doing, no? If you've been feeding at that rate daily for 10 days or so and are still not getting the depth of green/lack of yellow you want, then I'd go to 1.5 ml/liter.

Good luck with the grow. I am 10 days into flower with my first grow. I started with 8 bag seeds 7 germinated, 6 made it past the seedling stage and either I stressed them so much that 5 of them had balls. As they say the cheese stands alone... she is doing well 15 tops I counted this morning. Cant wait to see what these girls have in store for you. :cheer:

Looks like it could be nitrogen deficiency or magnesium. I cant tell from the photos but Mg deficiency is usually characterized by dark veins with yellowing on the leaf part. Coco is notoriously finicky with Mg/Ca problems due to its structure. It will be deficient in one week the overloaded the next. Personally my tap has tons of Ca due to limestone deposits so I just add MgSO4 but you can supplement on the cheap by using eggshells and Epsom salts

> Coco is notoriously finicky with Mg/Ca problems due to its structure
Hmmm...
> you can supplement on the cheap by using eggshells
Ummm...

google: coco coir mag/cal
google: calcium eggshells

Im a new grower, hmm and umm mean nothing to me. My knowledge is through research if you know something I dont I would appreciate your insight. :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom