420Lyf's 1st Time Clay Pebble Unknown Grow Journal - 2015

420GrowLyf

Hey there guys,

This is my first time growing and Iam using 420magazine.com as a base for most of my acquired knowledge about Cultivating Cannabis.

Aim for this grow is to sprout a strong mother so I can clone for future grows while doing it in a stealthy confined space. Eventually when the mother grows it will be put into constant vegetative state in its own tent.

Ive decided to post a journal as I want to learn more tips, tricks & techniques to maximise this experience for future endevours. Also it will make me post everyday to keep everyone updated.

Stats:
Strain - Unknown
Strain Type - Indica (I Believe)
Current State - Vegetative
System / System Type- Hydroponics / Top Feed Recirculating
Medium - Clay Pebble
# of Pots - 8
Pot Capacity - 5L
Grow Room Size - 1.6m x 0.9m x 0.5m (GrowLush indoor/cupboard tent)
Ventiliation - 12" Pedalstool Fan (Intake/Air Flow); 6" Diameter Carbon Filter w/ 6" Extraction Fan
Size of light - 130watt CFL 6400k (Veg) 350mm x 130mm x 130mm/ 130watt CFL 2700k (Flower) 350mm x 130mm x 130mm
Temperature Range - 22-27 degrees Celcius
Humidity Range - 60%-75%
PH of Reservoir - 5.5-5.8
Intended EC Range - 0.8 - 2.2
Pests - None at the moment
Watering Frequency - Once every 1 hour for 15 minutes
Nutrients & Additives being used- Dutch Master Gold Series One, ADD2.7, Zone, Silica, Potash+
Foliar Products - Dutch Master Gold Liquid Light & Saturator

Nutrient amounts as follows:
nutres16L.gif

Stay Tuned, Photos & Comments Every Day!

Peace! :Namaste:

:420:

18th August - 24th August
Germination was done using a mix of paper towel method, mug of water and straight rockwool dunked in a 1/4 Ag-Grow nutrient strength solution. So far 5 seeds have germinated, 2 are in pots, 3 need a few more days in the seedling/cloning chamber.

25/8/15
One (1) strong —seedling has risen from the 3rd batch of cubes I put in (standard distilled bathed cube), visible growth on another cube in the 2nd batch of cubes (also distilled bathed cube). Gave a light spray of ¼ nutrients to all cubes incl. seedlings.

Lights have now been set on timer for an 18/6 light cycle. Occasionally turning heating mat off when temperature rises above 33 degrees. Humidity is remaining a constant 99%. Temperatures fluctuate between 22-33 degrees Celsius.

Plant1230815.jpg

26/8/15
Soaked clay pebbles overnight in standard tap water. Then emptied in morning, filled required pots with clay pebbles in HydroStar system then recirculated fresh tap water for 3 hrs. Emptied resrvoir. Fillled & Flushed system with Pure natural spring water for 2 hrs. Emptied system once again and ready for mix up of nutrients. (first time - maybe a bit overboard)

Transplanted 2 seedlings into the Hydrostar system. First time setting up nutrient reservoir. Originally was going to use Ag-Grow at ¼ strength but realise the plants need the 1st week additives and grow nutrients. Have followed the Dutch Master chart for 16L reservoir and set the following: PH — 5.48, EC — 0.91.

After transplanting and setting up reservoir, Ive checked both plants frequently to make sure they are coping and that the HydroStar 40 is performing the way it should.

HydroStar40.gif

27/8/15 (Day 1 in Clay)
Checked plants in the early morning (430am) and they look healthy (18/6 cycle). 2 tap root showing seeds in enclosure aren't humid enough. Will see which other seeds germinate today and transplant into rockwool as necessary.

Only one seed has a 1/4 to 1/2 inch tap root, will leave for another 24 hrs to see if others will sprout.

Nutrient reservoir looks good. After reading a sticky article on the 420 Grow Room Forum, I decided to adjust PH to between 5.1-5.5 (5.48).
Day1270815.jpg

28/8/15 (Day 2 in Clay)
After further reading on the 420 Grow Rooms, I was misled with wrong information regarding my pH levels. I decided to mix a whole new nutrient mix starting from scratch using a 20L bucket as my mix container. End result was EC – 0.9, PH – 5.77 (New pH Range - 5.6-5.8).
The seedlings dont seem to be affected by the change in pH at this stage. I’m checking the nutrient solution at least twice a day. Have sprayed Liquid Light and Saturator on both plants twice today and rotate the pots anti-clock wise.

Plant1Day2.jpg

Plant 1

Plant2Day2.gif

Plant 2

20150828_162937.jpg

:Namaste:
:420:

29/8/15 (Day 3 in Clay)
The seedlings are looking well, still nice and green and growing rapidly. Morning readings: EC - 1.0, pH - 5.9.
Plant 2 seems to have its leaves very curled, is this a sign of something bad? Heres a picture below:

Plant1v2-290815.png

Comparison between Plant 1 & Plant 2 - Plant in question is on the right

The 3 x germinated seeds in the seed/clone tent have broken the surface of the rockwool. I will give it another couple of days and I will transplant them into the grow medium.

seedlings2.png

29/08/15 Update:
I did some research and it seems that curling of leaves indicates that the plant is overfed. So I have removed the plant to ontop of the clay pebbles to avoid any more feeding until it has recovered. Until then I will keep the rockwool cube moist with 1/4 nutrient water.

Just completed the afternoon EC and pH tests, pH was ~5.9-6.1 and EC was ~1.01. Added 2.25L pure water into the nutrient reservoir as a top off & pH down to bring it to 5.86 and EC came down to 0.83.

Decided to move the 2 new sprouted seedlings from the seed tent into the main grow enclosure for more direct light. They are placed above the clay medium just like Plant 2 so that they dont get fed the current nutrients from the reservoir. Instead they will be hand fed 1/4 nutrient mix until they get their first set of leaves.

30/8/15

Keeping close eye on Plant 2 as it's leaves are still very curled. Plant 2 is still getting hand fed 1/4 nutrient mix (spraying Rockwool to keep it moist).

300815Plant2AM.jpg

Plant 2 - Leaves are very curled

The 2 other seedlings (Plant 3 & 4) are slowing opening up, Plant 1 is definately the performer in this group.
300815SeedlingsAM.jpg

The 2 seedlings (Plant 3 & 4)

300815Plant1AM.jpg

Plant 1 - The Performer (4th day in clay medium)

Nutrient readings this morning were within acceptable ranges (tested @ 23deg C) - pH 5.7-5.8, EC - 1.0
EC is a bit higher than originally anticipated, will adjust with water later on in the day.
300815MorningReading.jpg

31/08/15
Last night I changed the reservoir again to just a straight 1/4 mix of Dutch Master Grow One as the leaf tips on Plant 1 are starting to curl. I might have started Plant 1 & 2 on a nutrient mix that was a bit too strong for them at this early stage. All sprouted seedlings are now in the clay medium receiving 1/4 nutrient mix once every hour for 15 minutes. First set of leaves appearing on Plant 3 & 4.

Morning Readings - EC - 0.83, pH - 6.8 Adjusted pH down to 5.82

Progression
Plant 1 - Second set of leaves are clearly visible, looking strong but has a slight curl on the tip of its first set of leaves
Plant 2 - First set of leaves are very curled, second set of leaves arent visible
Plant 3 - Looking strong with its first set of leaves well under way
Plant 4 - Struggling a bit, non-uniform growth in its first set of leaves.

Ive also ordered a batch of 10 beans from Southern Star Seeds, Strain - GG Allin, 100% Indica

Strain Parents
Mother - Charles Cosby ( LA Affie x Deep Purple Doja)
Father - Lapis Mountain Indica ( Afghanistan Landrace Indica x Deep Chunk).

Very excited, there is a high chance that these will come through!

01/09/15
All the seedlings are looking healthier and definately growing well. Plant 1 as always is looking promising, I hope its a female. :cheer:

Added 1L of water to the reservoir as a top off, came out with with an EC of 0.81 & pH of 6.2, adjusted pH with 6 drops of HyGen pH down resulting in a final reading of EC - 0.75 & pH - 5.5.

Plant 1
010915Plant1PM.jpg

Plant 2
010915Plant2PM.jpg

Starting to regain its leaf structure, less curling

Plant 3
010915Plant3PM.jpg

Plant 4
010915Plant4PM.jpg

02/09/15
I decided to make up some 4mm feed rings as I felt the single drip system would not be sufficient for covering the entire root mass as the plants grow bigger. Here are some pictures!

New Feed Rings
020915FeedRings.jpg

Plant 1
020915Plant1.jpg

Plant 2
020915Plant2.jpg

Road to recovery! - Lesson learnt, dont over fertilize the seedlings !

Plant 3
020915Plant3.jpg

Plant 4
020915Plant4.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom