420Magazine.com Web Graphics Contest

Re: 420Magazine.com Web Graphics Contest!

Yes, 100, sorry.

I am interested in seeing other options, so let's also include up to 200 max.

That will definitely make room for the circle logo, however I don't want members to have to scroll down to get content in lower resolutions.

If we can't get it right ion 100 however, we may need to increase to make it work.

Got some good entries to look through tonight, thanks guys, please keep them coming!

When we are done, I will make sure to give a little something back to everyone who participates, provided the entry is close to what we are seeking.

man I just made one that was 100. increasing it to 200 brings a whole new world of possibilities lol.

while I agree with the Lurker, logo overlaying a background isn't something that will break across browsers unless you really suck at programming. However as this forum is built on vBulletin technology, it has all of that pre-thought out and built into it, so the display will be consistent across browsers. Its simply using a div with a background image, and then positioning an additional layer for the logo inside of that container. Quite simple when you're dealing with div's.

In the end, the implementation is up to the admin, but either way, as designers, we shouldn't have a problem conforming to whichever route they take, as our designs are probably in Photoshop (at least mine is) and you can separate the design based on layers for final breakout.

Keep up the good work guys, I can't wait to see what some of you came up with.

..while I agree with the Lurker, logo overlaying a background isn't something that will break across browsers unless you really suck at programming. However as this forum is built on vBulletin technology, it has all of that pre-thought out and built into it, so the display will be consistent across browsers. Its simply using a div with a background image, and then positioning an additional layer for the logo inside of that container. Quite simple when you're dealing with div's.

Generally true, and vB has some intelligent design. That and vBSEO together make a powerful virtual equity platform for forum properties. I use css in most of the sites I own but try to keep from getting too layered (headers are pretty simple, though). I want something that works for as many folks as possible (95%+...beyond that, have to look at effort/expenditure vs. return), so I stay away from most flash (resource-intensive), js drop-down menus (not SEO friendly), and the like. Mine are designed more for income than 'wow'-factor, though. An ugly site can also still make a lot of money (sometimes, even more) than a pretty site, in my experience. (Mine aren't too ugly!)

(Rob's site isn't really income-focused (it's more about the mission), but the same rules apply re: content delivery and reaching more people.)

I am interested in seeing other options, so let's also include up to 200 max.

That will definitely make room for the circle logo, however I don't want members to have to scroll down to get content in lower resolutions.

If we can't get it right ion 100 however, we may need to increase to make it work.

Thanks for the clarification. I tend to keep things under 140-150px max myself (when I do use banners), because I want to keep as much info as possible Above The Fold. Overly large graphics without direct access to relevant content contribute to bounce rate among other factors.

If I go that wide I'm probably going to still overlay the top navigation bar over the bottom of the graphic as well, or I see it as simply wasting space.

A lot of psychology goes into proper site layout, how our eyes track, what elements people are attracted to - and in which order, how we learn, etc. Best to welcome folks to a site and give them quality content as soon as possible.

I lay out my stuff in such a way as to direct people where I want them to go, and have it be a part of their natural flow. Simple, clean, good flow, no frills, no distractions. Just quality content (and a call to action).

The current banner size or just a bit wider looks about right to my eyes, for this site. But then, I'm thinking like a business owner, not a graphic designer. They can have very different sensibilities sometimes.

good to see some other developers on the site :bong:

with the internet being probably one of the best ways of providing this information to people, it's good to see such great utilization of it to spread the message. It dumbfounds me when people don't know the truth about cannabis. I recently had somebody tell me that it gives you cancer. When I told them to do some research and that it actually does the complete opposite, I got the "wtf planet are you from" stare.

I want to thank all of you for such wonderful entries, please keep them coming.

Nothing has struck me as the chosen one as of yet.

:thanks:

My suggestion is to post the entries that are "closest" to what you want, or are at least going in that direction. Your graphic designers need some feedback.

Yeah in a normal setting you would have immediate contact with the customer. You toss a couple premature ideas around and see the direction to head. Kind of blind in this instance. I have no idea what you really want or I would try myself.

This is definitely a new one for me as well. I am used to working with one designer at a time, directing tweaks and changes as we go. I honestly don't have the time to work one on one with a dozen designers, so I'll get with you guys soon with more info on what I am looking for. Thought it would be a lot easier than this. Worst case scenario I'll issue rep points to everyone for their valuable time and energy. Thank you.

Okay guys, the time has come to dust this contest off and bring it back to life. Thank you all so very much for your contributions. I have given everyone a bunch of rep points, to make up for the delay, hope that helps. :high-five:

To make this easier, I made a gallery for you guys to upload your entries without watermarks.
Message - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

Please embed them in a post, here in this thread from now on.

Ultimately, I think we need a new logo. Would you guys rather include that in this contest or should I start another contest for that?

What if we just changed this to a new logo contest, then once we have that done, we move on to a new contest with the site header?

What are your thoughts?
:Namaste:

I think a new logo is a great idea, and should probably be finalized before the banner, since the design of the logo would impact the design of the banner. So, I vote for a separate logo contest.

PS What is amazing is that I have not been on this site since last June (long story but mostly because my previous email was defunct) and I just came back today to update my settings, and I find ye olde contest revived. Coooool.

I can't even draw flies if I went a week without a bath, lol. So I will not be entering.

But I would like to suggest that your new logo addresses the medicinal, "industrial" (hemp), and food aspects of cannabis.

I don't know how you'd work all that into a logo in a harmonious fashion though.

I agree with you 420% Brinna, thank you for confirming what I was already thinking. ;)

Here is the new logo contest, please everyone join in. :goodluck:
420 Magazine Logo Contest

TS, I agree with your logic, however we're looking for something more classy and simple that can be placed on everything from letterhead, envelopes and website, to t shirts, hats and stickers. So I'm not sure how added graphics will work, however it's going to be on a case by case basis really, we have no idea what kinds of styles to expect, until they start rolling in.
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom