DocBud's Next Medical Grow

I cant believe how ong it took me to get over here. I am definitely subscribed. Seriously great info in this grow as well as some absolutely ridiculous looking plants. The color on the bluedream is unearthly. Awesome.
Very interesting points you bring up about the defoliation as well as the c02.
Which brings up issues for me trying to run c02 with a perpetual system. I wonder, there is probably a happy medium somewhere where you can just use low enough ppms in c02 through the entire grow to benefit both sides of the scale.

Well I read a brief runthrough of your journal, and will continue to catch up entirely. Great work.

I cant believe how ong it took me to get over here. I am definitely subscribed. Seriously great info in this grow as well as some absolutely ridiculous looking plants. The color on the bluedream is unearthly. Awesome.
Very interesting points you bring up about the defoliation as well as the c02.
Which brings up issues for me trying to run c02 with a perpetual system. I wonder, there is probably a happy medium somewhere where you can just use low enough ppms in c02 through the entire grow to benefit both sides of the scale.

Well I read a brief runthrough of your journal, and will continue to catch up entirely. Great work.

thanks!

Defoliation: I don't do it. I merely prune branches.
C02: I just recently learned that it was keeping my plants from finishing.....oh they got plenty big, but it was hard to get them good and dank....new pistils coming out all the time.

So, now I shut it off about 2-3 weeks pre-harvest.

Doc, I'm so glad you stuck it out here at 420 Magazine given the early issues with Spee Cees. You have been a wonderful contributor and really help make this site worthy of business sponsorship.

:goodjob: and :Namaste: my friend.

Doc

The last two days have been bad for my grow. 2 days ago the top of the Vanilla Kush came down with a case of bud rot about 6" down. Had to cut the top off and save what we could. Then yesterday the Papaya the same thing only not as much as the VK, but still had to cut the top 8" of her also.

Cut most of the affected area off and will dry the rest.

These buds were huge and very thick. From what I read, the biggest bud is the most susceptible place for them to get it. It looked like it started right at the stem and worked its way up and out.

Do you have bud rot problems with your huge colas? And if so, what do you do about it or to prevent it?

Thanks Munki!

Doc

The last two days have been bad for my grow. 2 days ago the top of the Vanilla Kush came down with a case of bud rot about 6" down. Had to cut the top off and save what we could. Then yesterday the Papaya the same thing only not as much as the VK, but still had to cut the top 8" of her also.

Cut most of the affected area off and will dry the rest.

These buds were huge and very thick. From what I read, the biggest bud is the most susceptible place for them to get it. It looked like it started right at the stem and worked its way up and out.

Do you have bud rot problems with your huge colas? And if so, what do you do about it or to prevent it?

I have not had bud rot.....yet.

I am very careful to keep good air circulation, I don't foliar feed in flower, and I keep the RH down when things start to get thick.

However, on the last 2 grows, because of the rains, I did spray all the plants with Serenade in order to avoid powdery mildew. That may have helped prevent bud rot too.

Just keep it cool and dry and you should be OK in the future.

Doc,

I know this is a tough one to diagnose, but why don't my plants stink?
Went with soil this time for more taste and smell. I guess I will have to wait till its cured for taste, but there is very little smell from these plants unless you stick your nose right in them.
Shouldn't the grow room smell at least? Super Skunk probably the least smelling even when you touch her.

Doc, I registered just to say "Thanks for all your dedicated efforts!" I've been lurking for a while to help a buddy out. I've grown off and on for over 20 years, always in soil and organically both indoors and out. Well, I did do hydro once 21 years ago, but nobody knew what a flush was, and everything tasted harsh. People in A Squared really appreciated the organic.

I really enjoyed watching your progress--not afraid to mix it up and attempt to push the plants to find what they really want. I have long felt the same thing, "The plants will take what they need, so you better make sure it is available(which is much easier in soil than in hydro). Do a good job and the plants will reward you.

OG13, growing G-13, Haze x NL5 and Skunk x Afghani before there was an "internet"

Doc,

I know this is a tough one to diagnose, but why don't my plants stink?
Went with soil this time for more taste and smell. I guess I will have to wait till its cured for taste, but there is very little smell from these plants unless you stick your nose right in them.
Shouldn't the grow room smell at least? Super Skunk probably the least smelling even when you touch her.

Some plants are just like that. Mine smelled to high heaven when they were growing but now since they are cured they are very mild, until you grind some up.

Sulfur is probably the number one thing with smell. If you have more time, try giving them some epsom salts and maybe a stinky organic supplement of some kind....like bloom guano if you have time.

Doc, I registered just to say "Thanks for all your dedicated efforts!" I've been lurking for a while to help a buddy out. I've grown off and on for over 20 years, always in soil and organically both indoors and out. Well, I did do hydro once 21 years ago, but nobody knew what a flush was, and everything tasted harsh. People in A Squared really appreciated the organic.

I really enjoyed watching your progress--not afraid to mix it up and attempt to push the plants to find what they really want. I have long felt the same thing, "The plants will take what they need, so you better make sure it is available(which is much easier in soil than in hydro). Do a good job and the plants will reward you.

OG13, growing G-13, Haze x NL5 and Skunk x Afghani before there was an "internet"

Thanks bro!

Doc,

Just finished this whole thread. Thank you, so very much. You have the same philosophy as I do with regards to meds, that is, "Quality before Quantity". Got my FFOF, my OC+, my 3 gallon Smart Pots, and several strains of beans to choose from.

Hope to see you over in my new thread, brother. :goodjob:

:peacetwo:

Doc,

Any thoughts on feminized seeds being the reason my plants don't smell?

I have never heard that before....what have you heard?

I think your smell problems might be related to the bud rot.

Also, FWIW, I recently spoke with a long time grower who owns a hydro shop, so he knows all the other growers in the area....and all of them are reporting crops that don't smell very strong.....very interesting.

Who knows?

But I've never heard anything about feminized seeds being the cuplprit.

Doc,

I didn't hear anything. It's just a thought my partner had.
Strange your friend with the hydro shop reporting the same issue.
I thought with the soil the smell would be out of control.
I'd like to blame it on the government, but I haven't figured out how yet, lol.

Doc,

I didn't hear anything. It's just a thought my partner had.
Strange your friend with the hydro shop reporting the same issue.
I thought with the soil the smell would be out of control.
I'd like to blame it on the government, but I haven't figured out how yet, lol.

The smell was out of control while they were growing....but lost lots of it when they were dried and cured. It's still there when you grind up the product.

RE government......great minds think alike!

Ron Paul 2012!!

I tend to think a lot of smell can be lost in the drying and curing method. A lot of growers jump the gun and jar their buds too early, and this causes some smell loss. My first few grows I fell victom to this, my buds smelled great when I would break them up, but no smell otherwise, or almost a "hay like smell". Oly until I allowed them to fully dry did I get the smell I was hoping for. This and growing organically were the two big helps to beter smelling nugs. I hope this helps, but if your using the same methods of drying as before, and you had good smelling nugs before, I would have to guess that it was a weak smelling strain.
Peace,
NEPharmer

I tend to think a lot of smell can be lost in the drying and curing method. A lot of growers jump the gun and jar their buds too early, and this causes some smell loss. My first few grows I fell victom to this, my buds smelled great when I would break them up, but no smell otherwise, or almost a "hay like smell". Oly until I allowed them to fully dry did I get the smell I was hoping for. This and growing organically were the two big helps to beter smelling nugs. I hope this helps, but if your using the same methods of drying as before, and you had good smelling nugs before, I would have to guess that it was a weak smelling strain.
Peace,
NEPharmer

I hear ya on the drying and curing....but I did both in a climate controlled room, same as last time.

I think it was the sucanat as all the strains have a caramel smell and flavor. I rehydrated everything a couple days ago and re-started the cure and that's helping.

They smell fantastic when bruised or ground up, and the taste is excellent.

I took a few hurried pics today. This is the last day the plants will be in this grow room. They're moving to the new location tomorrow.

4 Jack Herer
FFOF
OC+
compost tea
Snowstorm
sucanat

IMG_15724.JPG

IMG_15735.JPG

IMG_15743.JPG

IMG_15774.JPG

IMG_15782.JPG

IMG_15794.JPG

They have about 5 weeks to go.
These will be the final pics on this journal.

I'll likely start another journal in a few weeks.
The next grow will feature:
Willie Nelson, from Reeferman
Space Jill, from Subcool
one or two other strains....possibly a very rare Afghani purple strain.

The new grow room has a dedicated, climate controlled curing room.

Back
Top Bottom