420's Sherlock Holmes' FFOF Soil, Bakerstreet C.R.E.A.M. Cheese Autoflower, Grow Journal 2019

Hey it's @Hdinkleman ... good to see you again.

"yield=light" ... this is so true ... light is critical !!! ... and the more I get into this grow ... the more I learn about how roots, soil, RH, canopy temperature, CO2, LST, topping, supercropping, foliar, nutrients, lumens, experience, phenotype ... I honestly had no idea 2 months ago just how much there is to learn about growing cannabis and how everything fits together to get a great yield.

Talk again soon amigo!
I hear that brother.
Btw you are doing a bang up job here, seriously..

Incidentally, ive been using formulex as a folliar spray for all my girls , after reading your notes am gratified that its helping a little more than expected: on all girls not just the seedlings & clone.

Fingers crossed for saturdays flower show.

W :thumb:

Looking good Squeak! I’d say you’ve done a great job on the LST and it’s time to let them reach. There will be less and less hands-on for you to do as they progress through their life cycles. When I flipped mine I was surprised to experience a degree of (grief? sadness? May have just been itchy, hard to tell) that my girls were growing up.
The more you leave them alone now, the bigger they will be in the end.
Nice looking plants :yummy:
Loving Dr Watson on the avatar :love:
I was thinking the same about letting them reach so I am letting them creep up slowly. Right now I am just trying to keep the inner faster growing tops bent so the outer slower growing tops can catch up.

I am about two weeks away from flipping them and would really like an even canopy, which includes the 8 tops that come from topping of the line ends; that is for each plant ... quadline ... four lines (branches) x two buds for each line. And they need time to develop.

"The more you leave them alone now, the bigger they will be in the end." ... interesting idea ... actually, I am doing less training and I am only pruning shadow leaves now ... but ... that even canopy and as many tops in the canopy as possible ... that is my ultimate goal for sure.

LOL ... yep Dr. Watson loves the attention ... he keeps telling me how cool and handsome he is! :)

I hear that brother.
Btw you are doing a bang up job here, seriously..

Incidentally, ive been using formulex as a folliar spray for all my girls , after reading your notes am gratified that its helping a little more than expected: on all girls not just the seedlings & clone.

Fingers crossed for saturdays flower show.

W :thumb:

Thanks so much for the kudos!

I was really frustrated and unsure about the plants a few weeks ago, but I am getting more confident on how to train them ... so that has put me at ease again.

Two weeks to flip ... and I hope the toppings take root so I can have a mini SOG and grow individual colas!

Formulex ... just looked it up:

0_formulex.jpg
I'm not sure what is in it, or how strong it is, ... but if it is working, then awesome!

I took a different approach because I wanted my foliar feed to closely match my soil feed. To do this, I mixed up a batch of nutrient feed that is ideal for early veg ... about pH 6.5 and ppm 250.

During lights out, with RH at 70% I turn off the fan (I want to slow evaporation) and mist them as a supplement to the soil feed.

I am hoping the plants get used to this ... and if I ever need to foliar feed to correct for a deficiency ... they will respond better than if I had never foliar fed before.

LOL ... yeah ... fingers crossed for the Saturday show ... man that's funny when I think it ... I was waiting for pistels ... drum role ... and ... they're photoperiods!!! :) Classic ... LMAO!

July 04 2019 - Update

Happy Independence Day!

IMG_20190704_183115.jpg

Bakerstreet #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190704_183140.jpg

Bakerstreet #2 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190704_182441.jpg

C.R.E.A.M. #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190704_182103.jpg

Cheese #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 4/ Week 6 ... Day 39 ... week 5 veg.

*** Photoperiod Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 2-8 weeks veg, 6-12 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 4/ Week 5 ... Day 32 ... early pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 4/ Week 5 ... Day 32 ... early pre-flower.

*** Autoflower Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks pre-flower, 3-6 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure
*** Pistels show up about 35 days (5 weeks) after Germination
*** Flowering takes about 56 days (8 weeks) after Pistels show up

Environment:

RH is running steady around 70%.

Canopy temperature is running between 25°C (77°F) and 27°C (81°F) lights on, and 23°C (73°F) lights off.

CO2 is refreshed frequently when the exhaust fan turns on.

The light is running 18h on (17:00 - 11:00) and 6h off (11:00 - 17:00) .

The light is 53 cm (21") above canopy centered over the 4 plants.

Watering and Feeding:

pH: 6.63
ppm: 702

Bakerstreet # 1: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)
Bakerstreet # 2: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)
C.R.E.A.M. # 1: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)
Cheese # 1: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)

Watering and feeding is done 1 hour after the lights turn on ... so the roots have been stimulated to draw nutrients up.

I had to add extra Lickety Split and extra Super Sonic Plant Tonic to get the feed up to 700 ppm.

I added Voodoo Juice to the feeding lineup based on research and grower feedback:

0_voodoo_juice.jpg

I fed with a full dose of Voodoo Juice for the first application.

I added Sensizym to the feeding lineup based on research and grower feedback:

0_sensizym.jpg

I fed with a half dose of Sensizym for the first application.

Activities:

Refilled the humidifier with water.

LST on all plants.
I am checking the plants twice each day and adjusting the LST because the plants are growing quicker now.
My priority is to expose the growth nodes to light and air because they are going to become colas.

Notes:

I expect the C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese to flower by this Saturday July 06, 2019. Come on pistels!

The priority has to be to expose the growth nodes and keep the canopy even.

I am letting all of the plants grow upwards while bending the inner (taller) growth nodes to slow their growth. I want the outer (shorter) growth nodes to catch up in growing.

I will flip the lights to 12/12 when the Bakerstreet canopy height is about 36 cm (14"). For detailed calculations on how I determined the canopy height, please refer to the ... June 30, 2019 - Update ... Lessons Learned section here: How long to Veg Photoperiods

I still need to top the ends of four lines on Bakerstreet #1, but the growth nodes haven't developed enough yet.

I am noticing some of the outer growth nodes developing quite slowly ... I am wondering if it is because:
* they are on the bottom of the branch
* their fan leaf was pruned
* of plant genetics

I am wondering why Bakerstreet #2 still feels light after feeding. It may need to go on its own independent feeding schedule because I let it dry out too much.

I fed with a watering can today; it was faster but sloppy with lots of spilling. I prefer the slower drip method using the sports water bottle.

Lessons Learned:

Back To Basics With Fox Farm

Why do you include earthworm castings, bat guano, and humic acid in so many of your products?

When we get enthusiastic about a particular ingredient, we can get a little carried away. That’s why you’ll find three of our favorite ingredients – earthworm castings, bat guano, and humic acid – in so many of our products.

Earthworm castings are teeming with beneficial microbes that help plants thrive. Scientists have tried to reproduce the nutrients found in worm castings in a laboratory, but they’ve been unable to create a formula that feeds plants as well as that rich, coffee colored worm poop does.

Bat guano has been known since ancient times to be a highly beneficial fertilizer that has a powerful affect on all kinds of plants, making it the perfect ingredient for our fertilizers and soils.

Humic acid is a natural by-product of organic decomposition. It contains trace amounts of nutrients and it helps hold other nutrients in the soil where plants can use them. It can hold water in the soil, and generally improve soil structure for better seed germination and plant growth.

What’s the deal with mycorrhizae? How do you tell an endo from and ecto? What’s a bacillus?

If you look at the ingredient listing on our products, you’ll see that we often put a powerful squadron of beneficial microorganisms in the mix. What’s all the fuss about microorganisms? Read on:
Mycorrhizae is a word that describes a symbiotic relationship between a fungus and the roots of a plant. Mycorrhizal fungi attach to plant roots and deliver water and nutrients to them. Tiny strands, called hyphae, can stretch long distances in the soil in search of the nutrients a plant needs. Mycorrhizae promotes root development, nutrient uptake and water absorption.

Our microbial package includes endomycorrhizae, which form on the insides of plant roots, and ectomycorrhizae, which attach to the outside of plant roots. Under the microscope, mycorrhizal fungi colonies form nodes that look like little rice crispies attached to the roots.

You can also find beneficial bacteria in our microbial package. Bacillus refers to one of many genera of bacteria that are helpful in growing environments. Beneficial bacteria break down fertilizers in the soil into a form plants can use.

ToDo:

Learn more about growing during flower and the stretching of colas.

July 05 2019 - Update

IMG_20190705_170229.jpg

Family photo after reorganizing the tent.

IMG_20190705_170008.jpg

Bakerstreet #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190705_170035.jpg

Bakerstreet #2 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190705_170125.jpg

C.R.E.A.M. #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190705_170057.jpg

IMG_20190705_170145.jpg

The Bakerstreet #2 "toppings" I hope will take root so I can try a mini SOG for fun.

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 5/ Week 6 ... Day 40 ... week 5 veg.

*** Photoperiod Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 2-8 weeks veg, 6-12 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 5/ Week 5 ... Day 33 ... early pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 5/ Week 5 ... Day 33 ... early pre-flower.

*** Autoflower Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks pre-flower, 3-6 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

Environment:

RH is running steady around 70%.

Canopy temperature is running between 25°C (77°F) and 27°C (81°F) lights on, and 23°C (73°F) lights off.

The light is running 3 cycles of "6 hours lights-on and 2 hours lights-off".

Watering and Feeding:

pH: 6.63
ppm: 426

Foliar feeding 1 hour after lights-out.

*** The RH is at 70% and the fan is turned off to slow evaporation.

*** I had Voodoo Juice and Sensizyme in the foliar feed which is likely not a good idea, so I just soil fed it to the four plants

Activities:

LST on all plants.
I am checking the plants twice each day and adjusting the LST because the plants are growing quicker now.
My priority is to expose the growth nodes to light and air because they are going to become colas.

Changed the lighting schedule to 3 cycles of 6 hours lights-on 2 hours lights-off.

Reorganized the tent.

Finally topped the ends of four lines on Bakerstreet #1.

Started to germinate two more photoperiods for the 12/12 from seed grow:

IMG_20190705_161152.jpg

Notes:

I expect the C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese to flower by this Saturday July 06, 2019. Come on pistels!

I am letting all of the plants grow upwards while bending the inner (taller) growth nodes to slow their growth. I want the outer (shorter) growth nodes to catch up in growing.

I will flip the lights to 12/12 when the Bakerstreet canopy height is about 36 cm (14"). For detailed calculations on how I determined the canopy height, please refer to the ... June 30, 2019 - Update ... Lessons Learned section here: How long to Veg Photoperiods

The more research I do, the more fun I want to have trying different things!

So, ... for my current indoor grow, ... I am going to add these two strains and grow them 12/12 from seed. I just need to figure out an appropriate pot size to grow them in:

0_cream-caramel-cbd-sweet-seeds_1.jpg

Cream Caramel CBD Feminized Seeds (Sweet Seeds)

0_red-mandarin-f1-fast-sweet-seeds.jpg

Red Mandarine F1 Fast Version Feminized Seeds (Sweet Seeds)
I would also like to try an outdoor grow, ... so I am going to try these two strains:

0_killer-kush-auto-sweet-seeds.jpg

Killer Kush Auto Feminized Seeds (Sweet Seeds)

0_green-poison-auto-xl-sweet-seeds.jpg

Green Poison XL Auto Feminized Seeds (Sweet Seeds)

Based on the chart below, ... I really need to get the autos outside soon:

0_Growers_Calendar_Final-963x1024.png

Lessons Learned:

The Importance Of The Dark Cycle In Cannabis Cultivation

By Royal Queen Seeds

PHOTOSYNTHESIS & RESPIRATION

When cannabis plants, like other green plants, are in the light—be it sunlight or artificial light—they are photosynthesising. This is how they convert light into energy and release oxygen. They are also respiring. That’s right, contrary to the misinformation circulating elsewhere, plants, like all other aerobic organisms, are respiring all the time. We stop when we die, and we die if we stop. Cannabis plants are just producing a surplus of oxygen during the daytime.

During the dark cycle, cannabis plants are not photosynthesising, and continue to respire at a constant rate; they do not just begin to respire when the lights go out. The Calvin Cycle, which is light-independent, processes all that stored up solar energy into carbohydrates. Roots are also respiring, so it’s very important to grow in well-aerated substrates. Take advantage of air pots to keep your medium oxygen-rich.

VEGETATIVE GROWTH: 18-6 OR 24-0?

Photoperiod cannabis strains can essentially be kept in vegetative growth indefinitely, so long as they receive 14+ hours of light per day. The debate on what is the optimal light-dark schedule for vegging cannabis rages on. That being said, most indoor growers will agree that somewhere between 18–24 hours per day is perfect. Outdoor growers get started in spring/summer to make the most of the long days too.

The 24-0 schedule might speed up the vegetative growth process some. The downside is the higher power bills. 18-6 is more common because it’s a closer match for long summer days and a little cheaper. Higher success rates with cuttings on an 18-6 light-dark cycle than those receiving 24-0 is the only substantial difference we have discovered from our own experiments.

ALTERNATIVE: 6-2?

Currently trending is the new 6-2 alternative vegetative growth lighting schedule. Three of these light-dark cycles per 24-hour period means the cannabis plant receives the same total 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness as a conventional 18-6. Moreover, this is a viable option as photoperiod cannabis needs a continuous 12 hours of darkness to bloom. The thinking being, those brief 2-hour intervals of darkness give the plant a chance to rest and process CO₂ more effectively. Also, 6-2 avoids light saturation and is potentially a more effective light-dark cycle for photosynthesis.

FLOWERING: 12-12, THE INDOOR GROWER SOP

12-12, the even split of 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, only occurs naturally close to the equator. Indoor growers rely on timers to artificially dial in this light-dark cycle. During the day or lights-on period, two receptors, phytochrome red and phytochrome far-red, are in balance. In darkness, the far-red change into red. It’s the increase in red that triggers flowering. Many growers leave plants in complete darkness for 36 hours before commencing 12-12 to ensure a high phytochrome red ratio.

However, even if you grow a photoperiod strain from seed with a 12-12 schedule, it will take 3–4 weeks before buds begin to develop. Photoperiod cannabis is an annual plant. Marijuana can survive with as few as 8 hours per day, and flowering photoperiod plants can even be re-vegged. The switch can really be flipped back to vegetative growth with the resumption of longer days.

PITCH BLACK, DO NOT DISTURB

Interruptions to sunlight come in the form of clouds. Cannabis plants can handle this. But anything short of a pitch black dark cycle with no light pollution for the duration will suffice for photoperiod strains. Light leaking into the grow-op when the grow lights are off will stress plants and disrupt flowering. This can stress a female plant into an intersex plant. Street lighting can confuse outdoor photoperiod cannabis plants and prevent them from flowering. Only a green bulb can be used if you must tend to plants or enter the garden during the dark cycle.

Grow tents and grow rooms need to be checked for cracks and tears. Greenhouses can be covered to make sure nighttime is completely dark as long as it needs to be. It doesn’t take much to patch a hole or buy a light-proof tarp. But interruptions to the dark cycle during flowering could cost you a whole harvest.

DO AUTOFLOWERING CANNABIS PLANTS NEED A DARK CYCLE?

The short answer is yes with an “if”, and no with a “but”. If you want the highest potency and maximum yield, we suggest adopting either an 18-6 or 20-4 light-dark cycle. But should you run lights 24-0 indoors, your plants and all of your equipment like fans will be pushed to the limit as well. So far, 24-0 auto crops have failed to outperform those cultivated with dark cycles of 4–6 hours. There really is power on the dark side of the force.

ToDo:

My Thoughts On Having Fun With Photoperiods In This Grow

Current Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 5/ Week 6 ... Day 40 ... week 5 veg.
1 Cream Caramel: Day 1/ Germination.
1 Red Mandarine: Day 1/ Germination.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 5/ Week 5 ... Day 33 ... early pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 5/ Week 5 ... Day 33 ... early pre-flower.

The Grow Strategy

As of Monday, July 8, 2019:

The Bakerstreet Photoperiods will have completed 5 weeks of veg.
The Autoflowers will have completed early pre-flower and will have about 8 weeks of growth left.
The Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine Photoperiods will have completed germination.

For the 12/12 from seed method, I will allow the Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine Photoperiods to grow for 4 weeks.
I will let the Bakerstreet Photoperiods continue to veg and grow upwards for those 4 weeks.
The Autoflowers are going to go into flower and stretch upwards naturally for those 4 weeks.

For those 4 weeks, I will need to mix separate feeds for the 3 sets of plants!

For those 4 weeks, I will continue to run the lights at 6/2 to exploit the Calvin Cycle.

For the first week, I will continue to run the RH at 70% for the seedlings, then drop the RH back down to 50%.

As of Monday, August 5, 2019:

The Bakerstreet Photoperiods will have completed 9 weeks of veg.
The Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine Photoperiods will have completed 4 weeks of veg.
The Autoflowers will have completed 2 weeks of flower (mid flower), and will have about 4 weeks of growth left.

*** Flip the lights to 12/12 on Monday, August 5, 2019.

July 06 2019 - Update

IMG_20190706_165940.jpg

IMG_20190706_165722.jpg

IMG_20190706_165451.jpg

IMG_20190706_165143.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 6/ Week 6 ... Day 41 ... week 5 veg.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 6/ Week 5 ... Day 34 ... early pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 6/ Week 5 ... Day 34 ... early pre-flower.

Environment:

RH is running steady around 65%.

Watering and Feeding:

No watering or feeding today.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

Put the Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine into paper towels and baggies.

Notes:

The C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese did NOT flower today; it shouldn't be long now. Come on pistels!

I will flip the lights to 12-12 on Monday, August 06, 2019. For a detailed discussion, please refer to here: My Thoughts On Having Fun With Photoperiods In This Grow

I will try to keep the Bakerstreet canopy height below 36 cm (14"). For detailed calculations on how I determined the canopy height, please refer to the ... June 30, 2019 - Update ... Lessons Learned section here: How long to Veg Photoperiods

I figured out why Bakerstreet #1 was not growing so well ... it was because the line had started to bend down instead of having the necessary 20 degree incline. Basically, I had the end of the line pinned down while the main vertical stem grew up.

From now on I will make sure I check all the lines, ... and ensure they are inclining up.

With the 4 weeks of extra veg time now, I should be able to take some real clones from the Bakerstreets to add to the 12-12 from seed grow.

Lessons Learned:

How To Grow Cannabis From Seed Under 12-12 Lighting

By RoyalQueenSeeds

Force flowering marijuana from seed can provide excellent quality, resinous flowers, all the while saving space, time, and money. For those with space constraints, it is a win-win!

Do you want to go from seed to bud quicker and cheaper? A faster, space saving and economical way to grow is the no veg, seed to flower, 12-12 light cycle method.

Growing with a 12-12 photoperiod is a solution to space and resource problems. This method eliminates the vegetation phase of growth and forces the plant to go straight into flower from a seedling. Yields are lower than that of a regularly grown cannabis plant, but results are obtained much faster, with a few advantages.

The 12-12 lighting technique makes the grow cycle 7-9 weeks in general, rather than the much longer time needed when giving plants a vegetative phase. For the space constrained, and those willing to experiment and give it ago, it can be a dream come true.

WHAT IS 12-12?

12-12 simply refers to the hours of light and darkness a cannabis plant is exposed to – 12 of each. Normally, a cannabis plant is exposed to an 18-6 light cycle. This tells the cannabis plant conditions are good for growth, and it focuses on building up size and foliage. When light cycle is changed to 12-12 (either naturally or through human intervention), it tells the cannabis the seasons are changing, and it is time to flower. By forcing a 12-12 light period from the start, the cannabis plant goes directly into flowering, in a bid to reproduce. You are essentially tricking the plant into thinking the growing season is coming to an end, so it needs to produce flowers ASAP.

METHOD

Growing 12-12 is as simple as changing the timing on your light cycles, giving your plants equal amounts of day and night right from when they sprout. The plants will look different to a cannabis plant that goes through vegetative growth. Photosensitive hormones in cannabis make the highest point the largest cola. This method all but guarantees only main bud growth on every small plant. Essentially you will be growing a cola with a few short, budded side branches – with the plant basically being a bud in itself. Be sure to stake your plants.

Everything to which you would pay attention in a normal grow remains unchanged and are still just as important. pH and water quality, nutrient mixing, pest control, grow medium conditions, EC and ppm all still play their major roles in the dankness and weight of your finished product.

Growing this way still requires all the knowledge that would be needed to flower plants with any other method, and maintenance routines still remain unchanged. After diluted nutrients, while still young, treat your plants as you would during a normal bud cycle. However, flush more often, every ten days at most, so as to avoid salt build-up in the smaller pots.

Done with expert practice and a willing strain of cannabis seeds, it is not unknown to produce 1 gram of ganja per watt of lighting. That’s an impressive 250g in 7-9 weeks for a 250W light in a small cupboard!

ADVANTAGES

• Lights have full penetration to the floor. Keep an eye on the soil wetness as lights will dry the medium quicker than if protected by a canopy
  • This method is fast. 7-9 weeks on average
  • Less drama trimming as there are far less sugar leaves to deal with
  • Plants are easier to handle for maintenance
  • Can grow in tiny areas
  • Save wear and tear on moving components
  • Save money
SPACE SAVING

Plants with less side branching and canopy spread need less space between them, increasing efficiency. As an example: 1x 15-litre pot produces one plant with a large volume and difficult maintenance issues in a cramped space. 4x 3.5-litre pots in the same sized space can produce just as much dried material with the benefit of being easier to rotate, so the whole plant gets 360-degree light. The entire crop is less hassle during maintenance as each plant is 100% accessible and physically easier to move about. There is no need for a separate sprouting and veg space or time wasted on 18-6 vegetation. The seeds can be sprouted under the 12-12 growing lights providing continual flowering plants.

RESOURCE EFFICIENT

There is a lesser demand for resources across the boards.

You will experience only half the water consumption with less moisture loss due to evaporation, and a third less nutrients are used. CO₂ and electricity use including most peripherals are reduced by a staggering 650 grow hours annually.

Taking hours to accomplish, tipping, fimming, branch control, and mainlining are now unnecessary freeing up your most precious resource, time.

CLEANLINESS

Always be sure to re-sterilize your grow space after each crop.

Keep a keen eye out for moulds and mildews as the grow space will be getting less light with more moulding opportunity in warm dark corners and creases.

SIDE NOTES

There are some haters of this method, but many love it. Those who hate on it often have not actually tried it. It is all about giving it a go and seeing what works for you. Even if you decide against it after trying it, it all helps expand your knowledge as a grower.

Some sativas will still stretch to 1.2 metres using this method, so species selection right at the very start is key. Indicas are the obvious choice for maximum space saving. They are generally smaller, and 12-12 will keep them very manageable. You will enjoy small pots full of colas, like a miniature stinky forest. Buds grown this way are indistinguishable from vegetated plants in flavour and effects, and at the end of the day, getting buds in the jar quicker and more often is a good thing right?

ToDo:

Learn more about growing using the 12-12 from seed method.

Wow SQl....... this is impressive. Well documented, notated. Wow! You're doing great! I'll be stalking this thread more often.

July 07 2019 - Update

IMG_20190707_162803.jpg

IMG_20190707_162826.jpg

IMG_20190707_162846.jpg

IMG_20190707_162902.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 7/ Week 6 ... Day 42 ... week 5 veg.

*** Allow 1 to 3 days of dark before switching to 12-12
*** Pistels show up about 14 days (2 weeks) after switching to 12-12

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 7/ Week 5 ... Day 35 ... early pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 7/ Week 5 ... Day 35 ... early pre-flower.

Environment:

Watering and Feeding:

pH: 6.61
ppm: 1037

Bakerstreet # 1: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)
Bakerstreet # 2: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)
C.R.E.A.M. # 1: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)
Cheese # 1: 1.5 litres (0.40 gallons)

Watering and feeding is done 1 hour after the lights turn on ... so the roots have been stimulated to draw nutrients up.

I used a full dose of the Week 4 Canada Gringo Rasta Soil Schedule. I also added a full dose of Voodoo Juice to the feed.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

Checked the Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine seeds.

Notes:

The C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese did NOT flower today; it shouldn't be long now. Come on pistels!

I will flip the lights to 12-12 on Monday, August 06, 2019. For a detailed discussion, please refer to here: My Thoughts On Having Fun With Photoperiods In This Grow

I will try to keep the Bakerstreet canopy height below 36 cm (14"). For detailed calculations on how I determined the canopy height, please refer to the ... June 30, 2019 - Update ... Lessons Learned section here: How long to Veg Photoperiods

Lessons Learned:

Will the pH of Water Affect the pH of Soil?

By HomeGuides

Soils have the capacity to resist changes in pH, but there are instances where the water pH can cause changes. Both the soil and the water contain negatively and positively charged ions that influence the chemical composition and thus the pH of soil. Some soils are more resistant to change, while other types can change rapidly if the water pH is significantly different from the soil matrix.

What Are The Characterisitics of Water pH?

The pH of pure water is related to the relative number of hydrogen and hydroxyl ions. If water has a higher proportion of hydrogen ions, it is acidic and has a pH less than 7. If it has a higher number of hydroxyl ions, then it is alkaline and has a pH of greater than 7. But water doesn't naturally exist without other mineral ions being present. This is especially true with groundwater and surface water sources. Carbonates and the calcium ion are common in groundwater sources, making for alkaline water sources. Rainwater is normally slightly acidic. And there is also acid rain to consider, which has both sulfates and a large surplus of hydrogen ions.

Why Soil pH Can Be Affected by Water pH

A soil's ability to be influenced by the pH of the water is related to its texture. Soil particles which are smaller, like clays and clay loams, are more influenced than coarse, sandy soils. Fine-textured soils have a higher number of very small particles called colloids. These colloids are sites where positively charged ions are retained. The ability of a soil to retain these ions is called its cation exchange capacity. Ions in the soil solution are exchanged with ions on the colloidal particles. Negative ions in the soil solution have less influence on soil pH.

Fine-Textured Soils Resist pH Changes

Soils with a high cation exchange capacity can resist pH changes due to the water source. This resistance to change is called the soil's buffering capacity. As pointed out before, finer textured soils are less affected than coarse sandy soils. A larger percentage of soil colloids results in stronger retention of positive ions like magnesium, aluminum and calcium and thus higher buffering capacity.

How Water pH Can Overwhelm the Buffering Capacity of a Soil

In normal rainwater and acid rain, there are excess hydrogen ions that can change soil pH by displacing calcium, aluminum and magnesium ions from the soil colloids. The buffering capacity becomes overwhelmed when the positive ions attached to the colloids are exchanged for the hydrogen ion from the water source. The calcium, aluminum and magnesium ions migrate downward in the soil profile and the soil becomes acidic. High rainfall areas are more prone to this problem, and acid rain can speed up the process.

In arid environments, soils are generally alkaline. This happens because of the alkaline minerals are in the upper soil horizons. Overcoming the high pH is necessary in many situations if one wants to grow plants that require a neutral or acidic soil, such as beans, melons and potatoes. Gardeners don't usually change the soil pH by lowering the water pH. Rather, they usually incorporate organic matter, an acidic fertilizer like ammonium sulfate or sulfur. These soil amendments leach out the excessive positively-charged ions on the soil particles and thus change the soil pH.

ToDo:

Learn more about the pH of Water and the pH of Soil.

Looking Good @SQl2kGuy, you've already found some Ph water concern reports that were discussed earlier. This is one very nicely laid out journal, keep it up. And thanks for the help.

July 08 2019 - Update

IMG_20190708_140129.jpg

IMG_20190708_140429.jpg

IMG_20190708_140459.jpg

IMG_20190708_140514.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 1/ Week 7 ... Day 43 ... week 6 veg.
1 Cream Caramel CBD ... Day 3 ... Germination ... in soil.
1 Red Mandarine ... Day 3 ... Germination ... in soil.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 1/ Week 6 ... Day 36 ... mid pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 1/ Week 6 ... Day 36 ... mid pre-flower.

Environment:

Watering and Feeding:

Foliar feeding during lights-out around 19:00.

Misted the "toppings" in the beer cups with foliar feed. I'm surprised they are not dead yet!

No soil watering or feeding today.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

Planted the Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine seeds into soil in the beer cups:

IMG_20190708_142003.jpg

Notes:

I am basically letting the plants get some height right now. I am also checking the "topping" at the end of all of the Bakerstreet lines because that interests me. I would like to see the ends of the lines be the boundary of the plant as it matures.

I would like to start foliar feeding daily now.

Lessons Learned:

I have read nothing that indicates that I should not pH my feed before watering in living organic soil.

Actually, all my instincts tell me that the pH of the Fox Farm soil is set to 6.5 for a specific reason.

My instincts also tell me that it is not a good idea to stress the living fungi and bacteria in the soil by deviating too much from the recommended ph limits of 6.3 through 6.8 inclusive.

I completely understand the difference between alkalinity and pH, and how over time, the pH of water (if it contains Carbonates) can affect the pH of the soil.

I will continue to pH my feeds and work to develop healthy roots and healthy soil.

Back to Basics with Fox Farm:

Can I mix dry and wet fertilizers together?

You can use our dry mix and liquid fertilizers in combination with each other. However, we suggest that you mix dry fertilizers into the soil according to package directions, water well, and wait a few days before applying a liquid fertilizer.

*** My experience is that if you mix instead of top dress, the amount you add changes ... so read the directions!

Can I mix FoxFarm fertilizers with products from other companies?

Using FoxFarm fertilizers with products made by other companies could result in burning or nutrient lockout. For best results we recommend that you Keep the Family Together™. Our products are designed to work together and complement one another, and our research and development team has created feeding schedules for a variety of growing environments. These feeding schedules will give you clear instructions about how and when to use FoxFarm fertilizers together for outstanding results.

*** I followed their feeding schedule exactly last feed, and also included Voodoo Juice and Sensizyme.

Is it possible to burn plants with FoxFarm fertilizers?

Not all fertilizers are created equal. Many FoxFarm products contain a combination of natural and synthetic fertilizing ingredients, while others are all natural or completely synthetic. The best way to avoid burning your plants it is to use each fertilizer as directed. If you plan to use a variety of FoxFarm fertilizers together, please reference our feeding schedules for detailed instructions.

*** A helpful hint when feeding: always make sure that you water first so that the soil is moist, then fertilize.

Does FoxFarm offer any organic products?

Yes! Our Big Bloom®, Kelp Me Kelp You®, and Wholly Mackerel® products have all been registered as Organic Input Materials with the California Department of Agriculture in accordance with the guidelines of the National Organic Program.

ToDo:

The Different Feeds I need For This Grow
*** Canada Gringo Rasta Soil Feeding Schedule = CGRSFS
*** Every Other Feed = EOF

July 08, 2019 - July 14, 2019

Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Seedlings - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice and Great White Mycorrhizae EOF)
Bakerstreets: Full Dose - Week 4 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice and Open Sesame EOF)

C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 4 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice and Open Sesame EOF)

July 15, 2019 - July 21, 2019

Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Week 1 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice and Great White Mycorrhizae EOF)
Bakerstreets: Full Dose - Week 4 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice, Great White Mycorrhizae and Open Sesame EOF)
C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 5 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme, Voodoo Juice, Great White Mycorrhizae and Open Sesame EOF)

July 22, 2019 - July 28, 2019

Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Week 2 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice and Great White Mycorrhizae EOF)
Bakerstreets: Full Dose - Week 4 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice, Great White Mycorrhizae and Open Sesame EOF)
C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 6 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme, Voodoo Juice, Great White Mycorrhizae and Open Sesame EOF)

July 29, 2019 - Aug 03, 2019

Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Week 3 - CGRSFS (Voodoo Juice and Great White Mycorrhizae EOF)
C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 7 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme, Voodoo Juice, Great White Mycorrhizae and Beastie Bloomz EOF)

August 04, 2019

*** 24 hour Dark Period before Flipping to 12-12

August 05, 2019 - August 11, 2019

*** Flip to 12-12

Bakerstreets, Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Week 4 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme and Open Sesame EOF)
C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 8 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme and Beastie Bloomz EOF)

August 12, 2019 - August 18, 2019

Bakerstreets, Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Week 5 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme and Open Sesame EOF)
C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 9 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme and Cha Ching EOF)

August 19, 2019 - August 25, 2019

Bakerstreets, Cream Caramel & Red Mandarine: Full Dose - Week 6 - CGRSFS (Sensizyme and Open Sesame EOF)
C.R.E.A.M. & Cheese: Full Dose - Week 10 - CGRSFS (Cha Ching EOF)

July 08 2019 - Update

IMG_20190708_140129.jpg

IMG_20190708_140429.jpg

IMG_20190708_140459.jpg

IMG_20190708_140514.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 1/ Week 7 ... Day 43 ... week 6 veg.
1 Cream Caramel CBD ... Day 3 ... Germination ... in soil.
1 Red Mandarine ... Day 3 ... Germination ... in soil.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 1/ Week 6 ... Day 36 ... mid pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 1/ Week 6 ... Day 36 ... mid pre-flower.

Environment:

Watering and Feeding:

Foliar feeding during lights-out around 19:00.

Misted the "toppings" in the beer cups with foliar feed. I'm surprised they are not dead yet!

No soil watering or feeding today.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

Planted the Cream Caramel and Red Mandarine seeds into soil in the beer cups:

IMG_20190708_142003.jpg

Notes:

I am basically letting the plants get some height right now. I am also checking the "topping" at the end of all of the Bakerstreet lines because that interests me. I would like to see the ends of the lines be the boundary of the plant as it matures.

I would like to start foliar feeding daily now.

Lessons Learned:

I have read nothing that indicates that I should not pH my feed before watering in living organic soil.

Actually, all my instincts tell me that the pH of the Fox Farm soil is set to 6.5 for a specific reason.

My instincts also tell me that it is not a good idea to stress the living fungi and bacteria in the soil by deviating too much from the recommended ph limits of 6.3 through 6.8 inclusive.

I completely understand the difference between alkalinity and pH, and how over time, the pH of water (if it contains Carbonates) can affect the pH of the soil.

I will continue to pH my feeds and work to develop healthy roots and healthy soil.

Back to Basics with Fox Farm:

Can I mix dry and wet fertilizers together?

You can use our dry mix and liquid fertilizers in combination with each other. However, we suggest that you mix dry fertilizers into the soil according to package directions, water well, and wait a few days before applying a liquid fertilizer.

*** My experience is that if you mix instead of top dress, the amount you add changes ... so read the directions!

Can I mix FoxFarm fertilizers with products from other companies?

Using FoxFarm fertilizers with products made by other companies could result in burning or nutrient lockout. For best results we recommend that you Keep the Family Together™. Our products are designed to work together and complement one another, and our research and development team has created feeding schedules for a variety of growing environments. These feeding schedules will give you clear instructions about how and when to use FoxFarm fertilizers together for outstanding results.

*** I followed their feeding schedule exactly last feed, and also included Voodoo Juice and Sensizyme.

Is it possible to burn plants with FoxFarm fertilizers?

Not all fertilizers are created equal. Many FoxFarm products contain a combination of natural and synthetic fertilizing ingredients, while others are all natural or completely synthetic. The best way to avoid burning your plants it is to use each fertilizer as directed. If you plan to use a variety of FoxFarm fertilizers together, please reference our feeding schedules for detailed instructions.

*** A helpful hint when feeding: always make sure that you water first so that the soil is moist, then fertilize.

Does FoxFarm offer any organic products?

Yes! Our Big Bloom®, Kelp Me Kelp You®, and Wholly Mackerel® products have all been registered as Organic Input Materials with the California Department of Agriculture in accordance with the guidelines of the National Organic Program.

ToDo:

Wow, they’re filling in nicely. There gonna be some hungry girls soon. I wish I had the patience to maintain that training. Very nice my friend!! Cheers!!!

Wow, they’re filling in nicely. There gonna be some hungry girls soon. I wish I had the patience to maintain that training. Very nice my friend!! Cheers!!!

Thanks @Jdeck ... I started giving them a full dose of the Fox Farm feeding schedule yesterday along with Voodoo Juice (beneficial bacteria) for the roots. The ppm was the highest so far and came in over 1000 ... I'll keep an eye on them and keep feeding them full doses a few times each week ... and foliar feeds daily ... they are handling it just fine so far. I'm actually surprised!

The training is interesting ... more of a study in how the plants grow for me. What happens if I tie this back, what happens if I prune just part of a fan leaf, what happens if etc. ... it's just fun ... there's no way I'm gonna kill them ... and a mistake will have little to no impact in the end yield.

Nice hearing from you again amigo!

July 09 2019 - Update

IMG_20190709_163028.jpg

IMG_20190709_162909.jpg

IMG_20190709_162848.jpg

IMG_20190709_162822.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 2/ Week 7 ... Day 44 ... week 6 veg.
1 Cream Caramel CBD ... Day 4 ... Germination ... in soil.
1 Red Mandarine ... Day 4 ... Germination ... in soil.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 2/ Week 6 ... Day 37 ... mid pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 2/ Week 6 ... Day 37 ... mid pre-flower.

Environment:

Canopy temperature is running between 23°C (73°F) and 25°C (77°F) lights on, and 23°C (73°F) lights off.

Watering and Feeding:

pH: 6.29
ppm: 1127

Bakerstreet # 1: 1.0 litre (0.26 gallons)
Bakerstreet # 2: 1.0 litre (0.26 gallons)
C.R.E.A.M. # 1: 1.0 litre (0.26 gallons)
Cheese # 1: 1.0 litre (0.26 gallons)

I used a full dose of the Week 4 Canada Gringo Rasta Soil Schedule ... Doubled up on the Super Sonic Plant Tonic ... No Open Sesame was added ... No Voodoo Juice was added.

I saved 1.0 litre (0.26 gallons) of today's feed at 50% strength for foliar feeding.

For details on my feeding schedule refer to here: The Different Feeds I need For This Grow

*** Fox Farm Open Sesame is NOT to be used as a foliar feed!

*** I will stop foliar feeding the C.R.E.A.M. and Cheese autoflowers two weeks from now, on Sunday, August 21, 2019.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

I set the InkBird Temperature Controller to run the exhaust fan from 23°C (73°F) and 25°C (77°F).

Notes:

The C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese did flower today. They got their first pistels on day 37!

I will flip the lights to 12-12 on Monday, August 05, 2019. For a detailed discussion, please refer to here: My Thoughts On Having Fun With Photoperiods In This Grow

I set the InkBird Temperature Controller to run the exhaust fan from 23°C (73°F) and 25°C (77°F) because fan leaves' stomata tend to close above 26°C (79°F).

Lessons Learned:

Since I only topped one line of the Cheese plant, it is not symmetrical. At the time, I thought I was sexIining, but that requires 3 node levels. In the future, I will top all the lines to keep the plant symmetrical. Let's let it play out and see what happens.

The Bakerstreets are already at the edge of their pots, and they still have 4 more weeks of growth left! I guess, just let them keep growing outwards and upwards slowly.

I really wasn't prepared to grow photoperiods in a 3'x3' tent!

The question is ... "Am I going to have enough space for all six plants?".

Yep ... This is going to get fun!

I just watched a video that said "to grow a plant with one cola, then use a 4 litre (1 gallon) pot".

How To Foliar Feed Your Marijuana Plants

By ILoveGrowingMarijuana

Foliar feeding can be incredibly beneficial for your marijuana plants. Although this tends to go against popular perception, marijuana plants require regular spraying and/or misting. Plants can and will absorb nutrients from their leaves with a nutrient solution mixture.

Foliar feeding provides a rapid boost to your marijuana plants, ultimately producing larger, better, and more bud-filled harvests. That being said, foliar spraying cannot replace a standard root feeding regimen. Instead, it provides a quick way to get supplementary nutrients to your plants.

Foliar feeding essentially means that you spray fertilizer straight onto the leaves. It provides nutrients via foliage rather than roots. The process has been the subject of a number of scientific and anecdotal studies, prompting many growers to use it in their growing programs. A regular regimen of spraying feeds the plant via its stomata—microscopic openings situated in the middle of two guard cells—with direct nutrients. Regular spraying also provides clean and open stomata for your plant. Alterations in water content around the guard and other secondary cells force the stomata to open and shut as a basic response to water status changes.

Marijuana plants continue with the process of photosynthesis by mixing together a number of different ingredients in their leaves. Materials can be gaseous (e.g. carbon dioxide), liquid (e.g. water), and energy (light). Simply looking at the plant’s leaves gives you an insight into how they can create food. Stomata are vital for providing access to and from the plant for gaseous materials. Stomata are like tiny pores in the skin of your plant. If more carbon dioxide is necessary for photosynthesis, the stomata will open. If the leaves overheat and need to let water escape during transpiration, the stomata will open, allowing the water to leave.

Foliar feeding comes with several advantages. Fertilizers that are applied via foliar feeding are usually 3 to 5 times more effective than standard root fertilizers. Foliar feeding can also mitigate any stress that plants feel because of their nutrition. Nutrients from foliar sprays also make elements like iron more accessible to your plants when they would not otherwise be available in the soil, water, or hydroponic solution.

Clearly, foliar spraying is great for correcting nutrient deficiencies because of how fast absorption occurs through the leaves. The results will be almost immediate. The ideal time for foliar spraying is the early morning if you’re growing outside and whenever the light turns on if you’re growing inside. The stomata are open when the light is on them. It should be noted, however, that a temperature of 80 degrees or more will make the spray less effective because many of the stomata will be closed.

Clones, young plants, seedlings, and every marijuana plant in vegetative state will experience extreme benefits with foliar feeding. Because clones aren’t rooted, they require foliar feeding as a means to develop roots and avoid yellow discoloration (a frequent problem for cloners).

When a marijuana plant enters flowering stage, it is advised that you stop foliar feeding. Marijuana will naturally secrete a resin for insulation when the environment is hot and dry. This keeps the plant cool. If you use foliar feeding during flowering, then it’s important to decrease the temperature of the plants to avoid mixing fertilizer with the resin. Indeed, foliar feeding is only recommended from vegetative state until about two weeks into flowering. You also don’t want your plants to have any residual nutrients on the surface when you harvest. It will result in a heavy, nutrient-infested smoke.

Any fertilizer that is created for soil or hydroponics systems is perfect for foliar sprays (especially ones that have trace elements, or micronutrients). In most cases, you should mix the fertilizers at reduced strength to avoid fertilizer or nutrient burn. A spray with a strong mixture of nutrients couples with bright, intense light can produce light reflection from water droplets that causes your leaves to burn. Foliar feeding is ideal with mist-style sprayers. Small particles will result in a better response from your plants. You will also have to use less fertilizer to achieve the exact same result.

A Brief Overview:

• Spray with a fine-misting spray bottle.
  • Mist or spray at least once per day in the early morning (or when you turn the lights on)
  • Mix root (nutrient) fertilizers at 50% of their described strength.
  • Spray the entire marijuana plant.
  • Foliar feed clones, seedlings, and plants in vegetative state.
  • Stop foliar feeding two weeks into flowering.
  • Watch “em” Grow

ToDo:

Back
Top Bottom