420's Soil Purple Kush Journal

My opinion... The plant is stretching towards the light so like others have said lower the light or raise the plants.
There may be the possibility that the plant is under watered. You might want to slowly water until plant tray is full. Then allow the plant to soak up the excess water. Don't water again for at least 3-4 days.
Another thing is the stem should not be supported at such a young age. A fan needs to be blowing the stem around constantly. If support is given keep it minimal.
Also, why give nutes? That can't be good. You are growing in soil. Giving nutes is like double dose feeding. Here's 2 plants I have growing in soil, no nutes, only water.

IMG_20171225_172651110.jpg

IMG_20171225_172726176.jpg

Moved the light down and watered! Plant looks to be doing ok but showed some more signs of calcium/magnesium/iron deficiencies or maybe phosphorus, so I added cali mag to the water. My only issue is that it's been about two months now, I feel like the plants should be much larger. And it's supported because they couldn't stand up my themselves as small seedlings. Now it's just there as a precaution. They don't really need them anymore honestly, stems have strengthened well. As far as the nutes, everybody who I know grew in soil used nutes so I'm hesitant to opt out altogether but maybe you have a point. It's hard for me to consider though. I'm wondering if my problems aren't from the nutes but from the pH of the soil at the roots. Not sure what I could do to fix that if it were the case but it's becoming a concern of mine.

See how it does with more light, and if there's no sign of ill effects, lower the light again! Stay the course and see how they do! I really think you've had a chronic lack of light, which I first pointed out over a month ago!

Don't put too much faith in those deficiency charts you see. Diagnosing deficiencies is not easy.

If they don't need crutches anymore, I'd suggest getting rid of them. We're told that the movement imparted by the fan makes them build stronger stalks.

As I said, your plants were showing signs of excess N, so I'd really suggest not adding anything else for a while.

Photos always help, and in white light if you can.

Ok so lower than 15 inches?? That's where it's at now. And do you think I should skip ANY nutes for this week until next week?

See how the plant looks at the new height for a few days, and if it's doing OK, do try lowering again.

Do you have any idea how many watts the light is actually using? (Amps from the wall.) I'm getting the feeling that it's no scorcher.

See how the plant looks at the new height for a few days, and if it's doing OK, do try lowering again.

Do you have any idea how many watts the light is actually using? (Amps from the wall.) I'm getting the feeling that it's no scorcher.

Ok sounds good and no I don't know, I assumed it was 300 because it's a 300w light but you had told me previously they don't work like that. I'd have to look up 300w viparspectra online. As far as nutes, should I not use any nutes or should I just not use flora micro? I'm pretty sure that was the high nitrogen one, I could be wrong

Ok sounds good and no I don't know, I assumed it was 300 because it's a 300w light but you had told me previously they don't work like that. I'd have to look up 300w viparspectra online. As far as nutes, should I not use any nutes or should I just not use flora micro? I'm pretty sure that was the high nitrogen one, I could be wrong

Vibraspectras are supposed to be good. I think the 300 is about 160 actual, which isn't that much, but Sweet Sue is doing amazing things with a similar light that's just 85 watts total, so based in that you should be good. (FWIW I'm getting ready to fire up my motley collection of lights again that total about 160 watts, but I have been growing dwarves.)

FloraGro is the high N one, though FloraMicro still has a lot–so much so that some people use the so-called Lucas formula that just skips the Gro, which I had been considering using except it turns out it doesn't give the level of control of the ratios that I like.

Anyway, I'd really recommend just holding off on all nutes for a while. It looks like you've got more than enough for now..

IM a noob and only at the end of my 1st grow. I was only running a small unknown brand 300 watt full spectrum light and 2 150watt cfl lights at the start. i was probably 12'' over the top and had the cfls on the sides. I never worried about being to close with the Led just the Cfl. I would lower your light closer and take them crutches off. if your worried about it being to tall and wobbly you can add more soil or what ever your useing to make your plant a little more sturdy. that did the trick for me. I would wait for the soil to be dry at least 2 inches down and my pot felt noticeably lighter before i watered. heres my progress
1st Time Grower

I checked, flora micro actually has more nitrogen. Flora gro has it as well, and flora bloom has none. Anyways, I held off on nutes and here's white light photos from tonight.
IMG_545311.JPG
IMG_545211.JPG
IMG_544716.JPG
IMG_544611.JPG
IMG_544514.JPG
IMG_544410.JPG
IMG_544314.JPG
IMG_544214.JPG

Definitely still some hooking. And yes also yellow tips so I agree there. What about the spotting, what can you make of that? The yellow and brown spots. Not sure what's causing them. And it's ok don't worry about it! I double checked really quick, and didn't feed nutes anyways

I'm at 12 1/2 - 13" above the taller plant. Was thinking about lowering it again but not sure. Just responded to the PM as well

I'm at 12 1/2 - 13" above the taller plant. Was thinking about lowering it again but not sure. Just responded to the PM as well
I suspect that one foot above the plant should be close enough. I just looked at Wingman's harvest photos, and it looks like his setup worked well, so I think his advice about height could be good, assuming his "unknown brand" light wasn't a lot weaker than your name brand one. As long as the plants in center of the beam aren't showing signs of stress, then you should be OK. Fingers crossed!

IM a noob and only at the end of my 1st grow. I was only running a small unknown brand 300 watt full spectrum light and 2 150watt cfl lights at the start. i was probably 12'' over the top and had the cfls on the sides. I never worried about being to close with the Led just the Cfl. I would lower your light closer

heres my progress
1st Time Grower

20171004_013457.jpg

Light is 12 inches from one 15 from the other (the other plant is shorter). I measure the pH of the runoff , and it was 4.8-5 roughly. That could be the cause of the problems the plants have been having. Not sure what I can do about this considering I've done my best to give my plants 6.5 pH water every time even after the nutes were added.

So I'm reading that I should flush. When I researched how to do so i read to water 3 times as much as the size of the pot. That would be 15 gallons each plant. Obviously I'd drain the runoff , however this still seems dangerously excessive. Wouldn't the plant drown?

IMO the plant is under watered. Soak the plant until run off fills plant tray. Let plant soak up runoff. Remove tray. Do this before bedtime. Keep them in the dark for 8 hours. To bring pH up use room temperature tap water. Don't use nutes. Only use small doses when the plant is large. Still, probably won't need them at all. All I do is light water sleep, light water sleep.... Water every 2-3 days when dry. The following auto gets the light water sleep method, in crappy soil...

IMG_20180102_200533173.jpg

Light is 12 inches from one 15 from the other (the other plant is shorter). I measure the pH of the runoff , and it was 4.8-5 roughly. That could be the cause of the problems the plants have been having. Not sure what I can do about this considering I've done my best to give my plants 6.5 pH water every time even after the nutes were added.

Your soil can acidify the water, for instance if it has a lot of peat moss in it.

When you say "ph 4.8-5" roughly, how are you measuring? Drops? pH pen?

Flushing is an extreme treatment and only to be done if there is no alternative but to try to remove all the nutes from your soil, so not to be done casually.

How are the plants looking now with the lights closer? A photo would really help!

Your soil can acidify the water, for instance if it has a lot of peat moss in it.

When you say "ph 4.8-5" roughly, how are you measuring? Drops? pH pen?

Flushing is an extreme treatment and only to be done if there is no alternative but to try to remove all the nutes from your soil, so not to be done casually.

How are the plants looking now with the lights closer? A photo would really help!

I'm using the drops in water. Not my favorite way to measure because it can be difficult depending on the lighting but with the drops it was orange with maybe a slight pink tint, so I figured it was roughly 5.0 maybe a little under. I definitely don't want to drown the plants but I don't want super acidic soil. And I'm afraid to water with alkaline water because yes it may lower the pH of the soil but parts of it will be absorbed by roots so I don't think it would be healthy. I read like could help but I'm not sure. If I wasn't a noob and this wasn't my first time I would have flushed before I even planted. Live and learn I guess. If you guys have ever had this problem and have a sure fix let me know. Pics to come in less than an hour, stay tuned

Edit: "I read lime could help, not like lol"

Back
Top Bottom