45 Gallon Smart Pot - 1000W HPS - GG4 - Indoor

No signs of spider mites on any plants. They never spread to the other outdoor girls, and despite going back and forth between the plants, nothing indoor got them either. I think I may get some insect frass soon for more ipm diversity. I need to make more LABS too.

FB_IMG_1466965222253.jpg
FB_IMG_1466644336161.jpg

That is the first soil report I have actually looked at. I understand more of it than I though I would. If you are using their products that far away,the shipping must be reasonable. I need to look at their site more.

I found this while trying to get my head around what what is needed and how much.

The Ideal Soil
(Agricola's best guess, version 1.5, April 2007)
Based on a standard soil test

Organic Matter (OM)|4% – 10%|Ideally, as humus.
pH|6.0 - 6.5|Not 7.0. Balance the minerals and pH will take care of itself[/TABLE]

Bases (cations) as % of exchange capacity
Calcium (Ca)++|60% – 70%|Ca & Mg together should add to 80% of exchange capacity
Magnesium (Mg)++|10% – 20%|Ca & Mg together should add to 80% of exchange capacity
Potassium (K)+|3% – 5%|See Phosphorus (P)
Sodium (Na)+|1% – 4%|See Chlorine (Cl)
Hydrogen (H)+|8% – 10%|Exchangeable Hydrogen, not a cation (cat-eye-on). See pH explanation. [/TABLE]

Other major nutrients (anions)
Phosphorus (P)-|Equal to Potassium (K){br}(actual P = actual K)|Needs a highly bio-active soil to keep it available
Sulfur (S)-|1/2 of Phosphorus{br}(up to 200 ppm.)|Needed for synthesis of essential amino acids.
Chlorine (Cl)-|1x to 2x Sodium|NaCl, of course, is table salt.

Minor elements (of Major importance)
Iron(Fe)|Fe: 100-200ppm|Iron and Manganese are twins/opposites/synergists, as are Copper and Zinc.
Manganese(Mn)|Mn: 1/2 x Fe{br}(up to 50 ppm)|Iron and Manganese are twins/opposites/synergists, as are Copper and Zinc.
Zinc (Zn)|Zn: 1/10 x P{br}(up to 50ppm)
Copper (Cu)|Cu:1/2 x Zn|Keep Copper out of fish ponds.
{colsp=3}all four are bases (cations) +
Boron (B)|1/1000 of Calcium{br}(up to 4 ppm)|Essential for Calcium utilization.

I have been running two 1000W HPS for flowering and about another 1000W of mixed light for veggie.I cannot keep the heat downin a 10 by 12 room. Last night I gave up and ordered two LEDs. Cooling, venting and, your power bill are going to be a challenge for you. It should make a hell of a crop though.

Best
canyon

I think that is Michael Astera's recommendation, I like more OM (organic matter) and like around a 7:1 ca mg.

Great compost or ewc makes great plants. Input=outpu

Do you have ac? The room isnt in the attic and is ran for ac. 12k btu unit to start with. Vented hoods with fans taking heat and smell out into a lavender patch. Filtered through carbon filters of course. I'm hoping to have complete environmental control. Power bill will be very small soon, solar panels going up this year.

BoB, when I make soil with my home made compost/ewc, the cost of my soil is rediculously low. The Malibu compost I love is $16 per bag at the country store or hardware store, but it is more than worth it. I find baby worms in bags, it makes the best aact and top dressings, and its a biodynamic compost(BoB ) sourced from organic dairy farms using lactating cows crap, among other things. My compost is great and all, but when I mix soil for someone else, I always use Malibu so I have no doubts the mix will be great. It is also almost half the cost of the soil mix, which is around $1.05/gallon when using Malibu at 33%.

Canyon, what were you exhausting your HPS with and how often? Duggan is good at the fans and air exchange aspect, he could probably help you out. I don't envision any problems with my 12x12 room(plans changed for an added lung room and ballasts being outside the flower room) with 6k watts and AC. Unsure if I'll have a co2 setup right now.

Hey there 36, ladies and soil looking good!

I'm glad to see others running organic. It will catch on most likely due to economics and not common sense and a little work.

Thanks Duggs, this plant has been a headache with heat and headroom and light burning. I burnt a few leaves and a cola before I supercropped, of course I didn't take any pics of that lol. Maybe tomorrow if I remember I'll show the damage that happens 4" from a 1k HPS with 100* temps. After SC most of the plant I've had to continue to rearrange it over and over as it keeps going up to the light. Good learning experience, but I don't like worrying about these things lol. Have a Stella for me Duggs.

Maybe the short version of what I have and some of the issues I have had will help.

I live in South West NM and have been legal for four years. With the low humidity, evaporative coolers work well here. The room is in a garage and I have one running in the main part. The grow room layout is 10X12 and there is a 4x6 flower room inside of it. Legal here is 12 veg. and 4 flowering. I probably average 3 in flower and have been running perpetual from the beginning.

The idea was to overpressure the room with cool air and exhaust the room air outside. The flower room is set up the same way with air from the veggie room. One of the HPS hood ends is open so the air is forced over the bulbs and outside. I have a 6" high volume fan pushing air into the main room, another 6" pushing air into the flower room. Then, 8"duct hoods and ducting with a booster fan.

The veggie and flower lights add up to about 3000W with about 600 being florescent. I never was able to keep the heat down with the door closed. As it is I have to keep a box fan in the doorway.

The LEDs are not going to save that much power. The idea is to lose enough heat to close up the room and cool it with filtered air. That should also allow me to get a better handle on pest problems.

6000KW is like 9 space heaters on high. You can vent a lot of it but those bulbs radiate a lot of heat down through the glass. It would probably be a good idea to talk it over with your electrician, especially if you want to seal it up for CO2.

I love the attic grow.

Best

I haven't really found the LED once you get going with more professional/larger lamps to be that much cooler than HID. The real problem with the LEDs is venting. They heat up but with HID I/we can do much better job venting due to the format of the lamps. LED are not set up to vent and there's no current models I know of that are set up for venting. watts is watts - heat is part of the deal. No getting around that.

LED have the power supply (heat source) inside an un-vented hood. If you ask me recipe for early failure. With electronics heat is the enemy. I'm seeing failures with what I started out with 3 or so years ago. 50K hrs life time; not even close, sorry.

Doesn't much matter running 2K watts LED or 2 1K HID vented... actually the HID are going to be cooler 100% with venting compared to LED without venting. I have a ghetto rig for a vent with my LEDs - it's still hot. I have to run heat resistant strains this time of year.

I tried AC the other day and it didn't help at all, fresh air and a shit ton of fans is whats working. Talking temps in the 90's RH in the 50-60% WITHOUT lights here, I'm in the attic or 3rd floor all finished and nice = separate veg and flower rooms..

Hey there 36 thanks for the tip on that soil. I've read good things about it. I like to mix my own but definitely not apposed to trying bagged. I'm currently trying out some Premier (Pro-Mix people) 3 in 1 ... basically the Coots 3 main ingredients plus calcium and mycos. It's Canadian eh! I'll try out the Malibu mix in my next soil mix, I'm always mixing up soil for something. Worms FTW.

The bagged compost is what I speak so highly about. Best stuff around. I found alpaca dung for $150 a truckload, gotta look into the feeds used and a few other things before I get some, but looks like great stuff to start a giant worm bed with.

No one likes my ugly pics, so in a day or two I'll show how it is now. Hint: its really ugly and tied up, I couldn't keep it in the tent. Outdoor plots looking good, been brushing up on mycology.

Really ugly and tied up huh? I'll watch for the documentation of that. :laughtwo: They don't have to be pretty, just heavy with trichomes. You already had that part down pat.

It's always quiet around here in the summer, or so I'm told. This is only my second one, and I was too distracted last year to notice.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom