4x4 Tent LED options

mebemunky

Hi 420Mag! I'm new to the forums and will soon be starting my first grow. I've decided to go with a 4x4 Gorilla Grow Tent and I've been looking at either the Kind K3 or Grow Blu Apollo series LEDs for lighting.

My question is, would I be better off using a single ~600watt light or doubling up on say two ~300watt lights? I've seen some people say they are even using 2 600 watt LEDs in their 4x4. I plan on growing 2-3 strains at a time in the tent so my idea with two is that one can be lower, but I could also always stack them on a table or something to compensate.

What are you experiences? Is this a good watt amount for the room? Experience with Kind versus GrowBlu?

Thanks ahead of time

They are the same product with different setups that each reseller selects. If you want to grow taller plants, the Grow Blu uses 60 degree secondary lenses. This means you'll want to keep your light at least 2 feet away from the top of the plants. With these diodes you want at least 40 watts per square foot and I would suggest closer to 50 watts per square foot of actual growing area (ie do not count the area that you have mapped out for walking and working around your plant).

Thanks Hosebomber. I plan on trying to have a sativa and an indica together and try to find some at least semi-similar heights. With the extender the tent goes up to 7' 11".

...the Grow Blu uses 60 degree secondary lenses. This means you'll want to keep your light at least 2 feet away from the top of the plants.

Does the 60° secondary lenses offer any benefit over the Kind light's style?

Thanks for the info. I see their differences in coverage now. I misread and thought they were the same before. That helps me out.

Anybody have any advice or experience using 1 versus 2 LED lights in a 4x4 tent growing multiple strains since their heights could vary a little? Is it necessary to get an additional light or should I just raise the pots of those that need it instead and save the money?

IMHO, everything else being equal I would buy the two 300 watt lights over one 600 watt light for the flexibility that it provides. You never know when you might need it but when you do you'll be ready. Four separate lights for that area would be quite flexible but at the cost of double the hanging hardware and such.

Yeah that probably would be best in the long run. I'm nailing down my list of needed items for the new grow. So excited to finally have my own grow going. I'll be buying everything and doing a lot of studying between now and the end of the year. The grow will start in January so keep a look out for my journal!

Yeah that probably would be best in the long run. I'm nailing down my list of needed items for the new grow. So excited to finally have my own grow going. I'll be buying everything and doing a lot of studying between now and the end of the year. The grow will start in January so keep a look out for my journal!

Exciting! I will watch for it.

Something I didn't expect when I started was that you will likely graduate to having some plants in flower while others are in veg mode. So - if you go the two light strategy way you could always take one out to use elsewhere to veg a set of plants while you flower a different set in your tent.

I purchased one of these:

Reflector LED grow light 144x3w

but I can't recommend it yet since I have not flowered with it. Veg has been great. It doesn't cover all area in my 4x4 tent but that is okay, I will pick up another one in due time. This light has a veg/bloom switch with different bulbs and spectrums for each. They have a 4x4 version as well if you go the 'one light' route. They are a sponsor here at 420mag.

Here is my current 1st grow journal with this light :

Shuffledemon's Organic Soil Multistrain Indoor LED Grow Journal — 2014

Thanks.

Thanks for your input shuffledemon. I haven't seen that light before. It's about half the price of the GrowBlu and Kind lights I've been looking at. I'll definitely be doing more research on Reflector.

Until I can get a separate space for vegging, I plan on choosing strains that have very similar veg times to help with that. I might even just start with one strain to not overcomplicate my first attempt. I've done a lot of growing research over the years with very very little actually hands on experience so I don't want to get over my head, but I want to have a great setup that'll help my plants and be good for a long time.

Thanks for your input shuffledemon. I haven't seen that light before. It's about half the price of the GrowBlu and Kind lights I've been looking at. I'll definitely be doing more research on Reflector.

Until I can get a separate space for vegging, I plan on choosing strains that have very similar veg times to help with that. I might even just start with one strain to not overcomplicate my first attempt. I've done a lot of growing research over the years with very very little actually hands on experience so I don't want to get over my head, but I want to have a great setup that'll help my plants and be good for a long time.

You've chosen and described your intended setup very well, you will have nothing but fun.

How has the journey been with your 4x4 tent? Did you end up going with 1 or 2 lights? Attempting to do something similar here in the next couple months, and have chosen a 4x4 gorilla w/ Kind K5-xl1000 led light and a second space of a 3x3 gorilla and the Kind k5-xl750.

Back
Top Bottom