5 gallon bucket

You'll need to drill some drainage holes in the bottom, and let the bucket sit on some sort of slightly uneven surface to prevent airlock/hydrolock between the bottom of the bucket and the surface its sitting on, specifically if it's a non-porous surface, this would slow down excess water draining out. But it can be done no problem.

Something like those hard plastic shoe/boot mats is a good example of something to set your pots on. They usually have a raised pattern on the bottom that would prevent the bucket kind of sealing to the mat and prevent drainage.

Something like those hard plastic shoe/boot mats is a good example of something to set your pots on. They usually have a raised pattern on the bottom that would prevent the bucket kind of sealing to the mat and prevent drainage.

Those mats work a treat for catching runoff. 2 buckets per mat. I used them under my coco hempy buckets on my last run. Used a grout cleaning sponge to sop up excess runoff and transfer it to a bucket to remove from room and keep the trays clean and relatively dry.

The bigger the container the better, but i'd recommend a taller bucket rather than a wide low profile. :)

I've often heard that same thing about the taller shape for the container being better. Bigger is better for soil. In Coco Hempies, my 10 liter buckets outperformed my 20 liter buckets on my last grow. I tried two of the larger buckets and three smaller ones. The smaller pots used up the daily watering to runoff better than the big buckets. Big buckets for the win if you have to be away for a few days though. :)

:peace:
Ravyn

Big is better period more room for root growth. I use 7 gallons for flower. 1 gallon for rooted Clones. 5 for veg. Buddy uses 10 ggets more product but it's a wash cause he loses space.

What are your're thoughts on transplanting from a 3 Gallon pot to a 5 gallon pot towards the end of Veg stage ; also , i it possible to transplant from a 5 Gallon pot to a 10 Gallon pot ?

That's exactly what my buddy does I go from either 3 or 5 to 7 gallon for bud. Alot easier on your back and less room for error if you have a set of extra hands

I'm currently growing Blue Dream & apparently it takes a bit longer than usual from veg to bud. Are 5 gallon pots alright to use or should I use 7 or 10 Gallon pots? Thankyou :)))

There's less root growth in FLower from what I've read, I wouldn't waste the time, or risk destroying the roots transplanting a soil plug that big.

Just leave it in the 3 gallon pot IMO.

NerdRage: 5 gallon pots are more than enough for most growers. There's a guy on here growing hydro, 5 gal buckets, getting about 1lb per plant.

5 gallons work fine. :rollit:

5 is fine but if you have the room trust me 7 is better. It's all a matter of setup as well. I yield more in 7 I used to have pics of 5 under same setup I use now. But now I use only 7 unless I'm out or there being used. Try it side by side for yourself and decide.

I'm pretty sure your difference in results is based purely on difference of environment. I don't think the pot itself has a lot to do with it.

When you're watering a 5gal vs. 7 gal, you have more nutes going into the 7gal.
For a true comparison, you'd need to grow with 2 clones, same mother, rooted the same, transplanted at the same intervals with no root damage. And both plants need to be fed the same ppm, and same total ounces of water/nutes at each feeding.

Unless you were nearly rootbound in a 5 gallon, I think there are other explanations for the differences you saw.

Thankyou: I have 4 plants total. two of the plants are in 5 gallon pots & the other two are in 3 gallon pots. I might transplant the 3 gallon pots into 5 gallon pots. Day 11 & all 4 clones are already over 12 inches.I'd say the clones are growing rather quickly under my Hydrofarm Light Fixture ( Xtrasun 6 ) & a 1000W MH light.

NerdRage: 5 gallon pots are more than enough for most growers. There's a guy on here growing hydro, 5 gal buckets, getting about 1lb per plant.

5 gallons work fine. :rollit:

I don't suppose you would have a link to his thread would you? Pretty please??:thanks:

5 is fine but if you have the room trust me 7 is better. It's all a matter of setup as well. I yield more in 7 I used to have pics of 5 under same setup I use now. But now I use only 7 unless I'm out or there being used. Try it side by side for yourself and decide.

What are your're thoughts on transplanting a 5 gallon pot to a 7 gallon pot ?

Damn near root bound. I get my veg a Lil backed up since I have two veg rooms plus the 144 site cloner. So by the time the next cycle is ready to go in flower room I have some healthy girls. As for all the variables I have done a side by side from same mother same time watered only 1 gallon per day each both under 1 600 hps in my quarantine room. And the 7 did yield 64 more grams. Your right ppm varied I'm sure. I grew strictly in 5 talls for 8 years before switching. My buddy just got 26oz of all sellable product off of one of his 10 gallon he yields between. 75 and 1.5 lbs per plant under 1000 hortilux consistently with 10. But lots of wasted soil Imo. I prefer 7 everyone has there preferences. 5 is plenty for most grows for sure. Antics is right 1lb can be done in 5 gallon I've hit that a couple of rare times non hydro.

Back
Top Bottom