5 Gallon DWC - 1st Attempt

So they are looking like almost time for the final flush?? I would say I'm on week 8 of flower. Leafly says orange crush is a 9 week flower but I did start from seed and had some setbacks due to fighting off the gnats. Also the top buds have developed a lot more then the nugs at the bottom. Next time I'm going to just cut all the excess growth off so the plant only focuses on tops.

I've been feeding her the normal fox farm nutes along with MOAB, Bloombastic, bud candy and epsom salt. The nugs have some firmness to them now and after touching them my finger tips are sticky!

I noticed that the plants that are close to my UVB lights have noticeably more crystals then the others. I should have gotten the linear lights instead of bulbs so all of the plants could enjoy the UVB light. Gnats are still gone haven't seen any in a while now, been thinking about how I'm going to incorporate a water chiller. Perhaps a two bucket system one for the grow medium and the other as a control bucket attached to the water chiller.

I was told to supercrop them tried it damn near snapped one so I elected not to and used sewing string to support the stems that were leaning over from the bud growth. I will attempt super crowing in veg next grow. I told my buddy if he isn't here then now is not the time to learn to supercrop.

WP_20160717_003.jpg

WP_20160717_002.jpg

WP_20160717_0011.jpg

Looking good Faint. Love those uvb lights. I have 1 bulb in a reflector that i move around the tent in flower and it seems to really bring out the crystals. Wish i could have more but i am pushing the heat envelope as it is.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

heres what i did to lower res temps. bought 15 gallon plastic storage totes and filled them with about 6 inches of water and put the buckets in the totes. then i just rotate frozen water bottles in the totes. it keeps my temps between 65 and 69 degrees and doesnt damage the roots. Im also a first timer and this is what i did because i kept getting root rot from high temps.

Thanks for the feedback Cmob. I tried that method for a while but got tired of the water that is inside of the tote getting really dirty after sitting for a while. I put mosquito dunks and water treatment in the tote water but it still looked bad after a couple weeks so I ditched that method but It indeed was effective as you mentioned. I found a water chiller and submersible pump I'm saving for, to utilize in the next grow.

I believe they are ready are almost ready to be flushed for the last two weeks. Any thoughts?

WP_20160804_001.jpg

WP_20160803_006.jpg

WP_20160803_005.jpg

This orange crush smells wonderful kind of like sour D. I just ordered one of those hanging dry nets, and a Kerr jar to put in afterwards for the curing. I'm sort of concerned about the flushing, drying, curing, and burping. I've seen buds that look wonderful and smell great turn into or ended up looking like bargain discount weed.

WP_20160803_004.jpg

Came home yesterday and one of the skinnier stems with a fairly large bud for it size snapped. I'm getting ready to start flushing so I just decided to start drying the buds on that stem just to see what I'm working with. I figure I'll let it dry untill the stems are snapping and then put it in a mason jar.
16754.jpg

I cut a few stems down and started to dry them. I noticed when I left most of the sugar leaves on the herbs would smell like HAY. Absolutely what I do not want. It also dried fast and was crumbly and brittle. Didn't have the pungent smell until you squeezed it. I then cut down another stem and trimmed most of the leaves this time and let it dry at 70 room degrees 42 room humidity. Now it smells like dank! in there and doesn't seem to be drying so fast. The point of the experiment was an attempt to find a dry and cure process before I harvested the rest of the plant.

SOO this weekend I had the opportunity to sample my the first few stems I mentioned. The nugs that I cut first there weren't really trimmed were decent, not the best after taste or very potent. The second stem that was trimmed before drying tasted and appeared substantially better. My lady had me full of myself and wasn't even aware of it. She doesn't smoke medical cannabis nor has anything to do with it. Saturday she comes in the man can saying "it smells like oranges" I was like REALLY!?! I told her i just sampled some orange crush that I've been growing and she replied "it def smells like oranges"... So awesome!

Dry rack came I let them dry for about a week then put them in the jar. been opening it up whenever I remember to. The smoke is a good day time sativa. Body high, doesn't knock you on your butt if you hit it first thing in the morning, just gets the edge off. Puts you in relaxed mode. If your a veteran smoker, I bet you could smoke this orange crush and still hold a unsuspected convo with someone while feeling lovely inside.

Now that my first grow is completed, I'm going to start preparing for my indica grow. To clone or to feminized seed? I keep seeing everyone with Auto seeds must be a trustworthy vendor. For any rookie growers like myself reading this. DWC isn't a difficult method of growing medical herbs. It just comes down to experience IMO. Just read all the journals you can on here and you should be able to get from start to finish (The high quality stuff will take some learning). Fungus gnats,res water temp, and having buds growing all over instead of just focusing on tops were my biggest set backs. I will address these issues on the next grow, I'll be cleaning my tent and shopping for indica clones or seeds before I start my next grow. In conclusion to this journal I want to say thanks to those who chimed in with their knowledge and those who took the time to read. See ya on the next one! (5 Gal DWC Round 2!)

Nice man. Lets see what you can do with this next run. Any ideas at all what strains you wanna run?

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom