Grow room - 55 gallon fishtank
Bucket Size - 16fl oz foam cups
Medium - 50% Scotts soil 50% Coco Coir.
Lights - T5 4ft 4bulb 54w HO 6500K
Nutrients - FloraNova Grow/Bloom, Kool Bloom, Super Thrive
Strain(s) - UNKNOWN
# of Plants: 5
Yield : N/A

This is my first Journal but second grow. First one was a great learning experiance. Learned alot and now know the Do's & Donts of growing. This grow is consisting of (5) plants, sadly the strains of these plants are unknown. The seeds were given to me by friends. So far theyre in there first weeks of veg. Since day one ive been giving them "rain water and super thrive". Ill be starting there first feed on nutes using "FloraNova Grow" and later on in its 4th week of veg, go half and half with "Floranova Bloom". All feeds will have "Super Thrive". Inbetween nute feeds ill be giving rain water and also water from a stream, and if those were to ever run out I have bottled water. Bottled water will be PH to 5.5 - 6.0. I may be doing a little test with 2 or 3 different types of feeding with nutes. I want to use "Fox Farms" and I had a good experiance with "Fish Ferts". Also I like hydro growing, so I may put 2 of the 5 plants in hydro and put them on a different nute schedule then the 3 I will be keeping in soil. And since im strapped on space ill be "LST" those.

Grow area is in a 55 gallon fishtank. Most people say its a bad idea consitering the heat issue and space, aslo air flow. I kinda figured out a way to control most of the heating issue and air circulation. Those will be shown step by step threw picture of my set up. I also numbered each cup to keep track of which plant is which and what ill be feeding them. They all started off in soil and I wont be making changes to hydro until 2nd week of veg. Co2 is given to them threw "Seltzer water", "Dry Ice", "Yeast + Sugar", "Vinegar + Baking Soda". This is until I purchase a co2 tank later on threw my grow.

Any feedback will be great and I hope everyone enjoy and gain learning experiance from it like me. Newbies and Vets :welcome: :420: :tokin: :ganjamon: :allgood:

The Set Up!!! The reason why the foam cups that plants are in are doubled is for the drainage. Theres holes in the bottom of the first cups.
IMG_0014_1_1.JPG

Getting co2 from dry ice, LOOKS COOL!!!:surf:
IMG_0001_1_1.JPG

IMG_0015_1_1.JPG

Fan is aimed at the lights so that it cools and also it gives great air flow and reaches all 5 plants. As it circulates, the hot air reaches the hanging foam cups which is full with ice and it melts and lowers temp and raises humidity
IMG_0018_1_.JPG

cups that will be filled with ice or dry ice
IMG_0029_1_.JPG

Ferts that will be given on this grow, havent yet got the "FoxFarms" and also need to pick up "Kool Bloom". Im doing a test run on ferts so if any one wants to suggest any ferts or nutes for soil or hydro leave comments before week 2. thats when ill start ferts.
IMG_0027_1_1.JPG

Plant #2 this was actually the one before the last to surface. its growth rate was surprising
IMG_0019_1_.JPG

Plant #5 i had to revive this one a couple of times since it surfaced but is now doing great. slow growth but I think its a sativa {skinny finger like leaves and slow growth}
IMG_0020_1_.JPG

Plant #1 this one was the last to surface the reason for its low growth
IMG_0022_1_.JPG

Plant #3 the way the first set of leaves are is different to me
IMG_0024_1_1.JPG

Plant #4 I have a thread on this one because of its abnormal growth and growth rate. the extra leaves and early branching. So if you have feedback on its growth please comment, still awaiting answers (Abnormal Unique Leaf Growth!?) I think this is a hybrid. Also plan on doing LST on this one
IMG_0026_1_1.JPG

Ill be switching up alot of things as time goes on. Right now im looking into ordering a HID kit., May go with 600w or 1000w. 5 plans dont know which one will be better with out going over board. Then ill use the 4ft T5 HO for side lighting. Ill hang that long ways. So later on in the grow Ill be moving into a closet space. Still might use the fishtank for hydro grow or buy a smaller one, it will be less work to fill with water and less maintenance.

That dry ice pic is pretty awesome, I have to say. You mentioned that this is your second grow, did you also use CO2 on the first one? If not then I will be interested to hear about how your results differ this time when using it.

Definitely keep posting pictures, I will be following this one. :thumb:

Looking good.

I like the ice cubes idea in the cups, but could be a ball ache job replacing ice every couple of hours... inless the whole of cup of water is total frozern down to one gaint ice cube !

Coco coir - Might want to do some home work on this !

From what i understand of this growing medium is that it strips/depletes magnesium & calcium from the nutrients/growing medium used... it may be worth while getting a Mg & Ca supplement to help prevent this.

Also of note in pure coco coir grows the nutrients used/feed is normally PH down to PH 5.8 on average or between 5.4 to 6 to aid optimal nutrient aviabilitie.

I'm not sure if mixing coco coir & scotts soil will effect things over all PH wise ? some thing to watch out for tho...

That dry ice pic is pretty awesome, I have to say. You mentioned that this is your second grow, did you also use CO2 on the first one? If not then I will be interested to hear about how your results differ this time when using it.

Definitely keep posting pictures, I will be following this one. :thumb:

Thanks Amsterdam28, I didnt use dry ice or alot of co2 on my first one. This grow I raise the temp to 45c and then I turn up the co2 on them. I really see the big difference in the co2 intake threw growth. I want to grow beautiful monsters lol. To bad I dont know the strains of these plants. I will be keeping pictures threw the whole process. Thanks for stopping by and giving input. Im looking for new nerts and nutes to use on this one, any ideas? I have floranova now but idont want to use that on this grow.

Looking good.

I like the ice cubes idea in the cups, but could be a ball ache job replacing ice every couple of hours... inless the whole of cup of water is total frozern down to one gaint ice cube !

Coco coir - Might want to do some home work on this !

From what i understand of this growing medium is that it strips/depletes magnesium & calcium from the nutrients/growing medium used... it may be worth while getting a Mg & Ca supplement to help prevent this.

Also of note in pure coco coir grows the nutrients used/feed is normally PH down to PH 5.8 on average or between 5.4 to 6 to aid optimal nutrient aviabilitie.

I'm not sure if mixing coco coir & scotts soil will effect things over all PH wise ? some thing to watch out for tho...

I didnt think of that, freezing the whole cup into one cube. That honestly wouldve been way better. AS for the PH in the medium im having a little salt build up with plant #4. Either came from low humidity or like your saying the PH. I cant get a good reading on the soil because the PH tester that I have is cheap and everything reads 7. Im waiting on getting my new one that measures PH and PPM, so that would be cool. From what I knew about the coco is that its orginally used for hydro and I started off using it as that because it has no nutes or anything in it. Pretty much in hydro it will stop build up of salts and the things you were stating. So yea I guess it will do the same in soil. I would have to watch out for this because I plan on keeping 2 to 3 of the plants in soil and the rest in hydro. No PH meter, no good readings so Ill be on hold until I get a good one. Also whats a good "Up/Down" PH to use on soil? Can you tell me by brand name so I will look for that.

Plant #4 Salt build up Check PH of soil and raise humidity to fix problem. Wait for new growth to see if the problem was fixed. (Possible flush maybe needed)
IMG_0032_1_.JPG

Plant #4 Growth is abnormal due to acidic PH or maybe just a fast grower. First set of leaves has 3 blades
IMG_0042_2_.JPG

Plant #5 Also signs of salt build up and maybe other deficiency. (nitro, or nute burn. possible flush maybe needed)
IMG_0034_3_.JPG

IMG_0033_1_.JPG

IMG_0039_1_1.JPG

I read that water blessing is good for plants and growth. So I catch rain water and bless it cant lose :thumb:
IMG_0037_1_1.JPG

things have certainly come a long way since the fish tank and now with a hydro system too cant wait to see how they turn out mate :thumb:

I like soil but i got attached to hydro my last grow. To me its easier to control the PH and if needed its a fast way to adjust to any nute problems before they get worse, as to soil you have to wait until the soil works its self after applying the UP or Downers {sulfur, vinegar, baking soda, lime,} which ever ppl use when they have a PH problem. So im a little more intune with hydro. Im doing soil because I want to LST and try other things that would be extra work in hydro. Besides that growers who stop by and like to read or learn about whats easier or to see someone using the same set up as them is cool too. I like the suspense of not knowing the types of strains either, i feel its the best part about this grow.

If you have any suggestions or great ideas your welcome to post and let me know what would be good to add as in nutes or ferts. Anything as the grow goes along. Ill be adding co2 to the mix later on, sooner than later though!!! Thanks for stopping by this new journal. I cant erase the other one :grinjoint:

2 IN 1 HYDRO DIY. I took the idea from the a cloning machine and did the plumbing similar to what they had. Also it can be used easily for a DWC also. As you can see I use air stones to keep the solution moving and for the oxygen to get the roots. I used coco coir/clay rocks in the net pots. Coco coir really sucks because it falls all into the system and will clog the tubing and pump. Which is great for it to be a DWC also so if ever the pump stops working. Ill be using a new hydro product when I get my hands on it, Its like foam and theres another one that looks like corks.
IMG_0054_1_.JPG

I removed the tubing from the middle of the lid because it was a pain to place them the right way. Now a simple lift and remove :headbanger:
IMG_0055_1_.JPG

I must admit im intrigued by hydro and I will give it a go one day but for now il get a few soil grows under my belt and continue to study journals such as your own and gather all the knowlage I need to build something bespoke to fit in my little grow space. Keep up the good work mate and best of luck. Peace

Hi man your garden is really coming along... what are u plaing on blooming under? HPS?

back in the days i started out with soil just to get the understanding of the plant.. and also soil is more forgiving than hydro.. the soil works as a buffer that you don't have in hydroponics.. but soil indoor can get really messy

If u still looking for fertilizers i'll recommend GHE floraDuo for hydro

Grow on my man:thumb:

I must admit im intrigued by hydro and I will give it a go one day but for now il get a few soil grows under my belt and continue to study journals such as your own and gather all the knowlage I need to build something bespoke to fit in my little grow space. Keep up the good work mate and best of luck. Peace

When I first started out I was skeptical about hydro also. Wanted to learn a little more and how it worked. What ever your speed man rock with it. Do your homework and your will always come out great. Keep it simple also. I'm still learning myself.

Hi man your garden is really coming along... what are u plaing on blooming under? HPS?

back in the days i started out with soil just to get the understanding of the plant.. and also soil is more forgiving than hydro.. the soil works as a buffer that you don't have in hydroponics.. but soil indoor can get really messy

If u still looking for fertilizers i'll recommend GHE floraDuo for hydro

Grow on my man:thumb:

I was thinking about going HPS/HID on the whole grow but then T5/CFLs are a lot easier to deal with. Don't need much space and there's more colors on the Kelvin scale to choose from. Besides that more lumens for the cheaper buck. I'm not really looking for the crazy yield on this grow. But I will step up to the HID/HPS when I have more than 5 plants. Thats when I know the extra money for those lights (light bill) will be worth it lol. I have a smart meter on my house and they can check for my usage in different rooms. Don't want them getting skeptical. So I'll pretty much be using 2x 200w CFLs and putting the T5 on the side for side branching. I plan on topping each branch. As for the bloom, I'll be using warm, wide & cool bulbs for flowering. Wide spectrum is close to a HPS on the kelvin scale. Not equal but close, just high in the orange red lighting.

I'm pretty sure I can add that FloraDuo to the hydro schedule. It's all GH Flora so I figure it shouldn't shake it up. I'll check it out.

T5s are the best over all Fluro tubes. Plus there 4ft 4bulbs 54w High Outputs 6500. I think T5s goes up to a max of 8 bulbs (dont quote me on this). So itll be after the T8 on that scale but before the MH. And actually it wll depend on how many bulbs you get plus foot wise. Right now I dont have to worry about burning or over heating my babies since I have a smaller grow space. Thats why T5 & CFLs are ideal just for right now all though the set up your showing me is what I had in mind when I get over 5 plants so Ill be in transition to get those lights when I start taking clones from these plants if they turn out to be female. And if one turns out to be a male Ill makre it go hermie so it can produce fem seeds :morenutes: That way growing it wouldnt have been a waste. But yea great yield is what alot of people want and I would want that to. This journal can go on forever as long as step by step learning is taken place so bout time it ends I know Ill have a HPS lamp over top of the canopies of the new babies. Just would need to create a way bigger growing space or just turn my whole bed room into one, just thinking thats alot of production. :hmmmm: :smokin: :tokin:

Switched hydro medium to "Croutons" now I dont have a problem clogging or coco coir falling into the reservoir. I would suggest this to everyone using hydro

hey man u recommend this why?
What benefits does this have over other hydro mediums? besides being expensive and not reusable?

:peace:

hey man u recommend this why?
What benefits does this have over other hydro mediums? besides being expensive and not reusable?

:peace:

Good question, Its $20 a bag. Unless you have a farm your not even going to put a dent in the bag. Its cheaper then alot of mediums. And im pretty sure you can reuse it. Its not like it goes to waste. But lets take coco coir for example. As FuzzyDuck pointed out to me, "From what i understand of this growing medium is that it strips/depletes magnesium & calcium from the nutrients/growing medium used." hes a great source of info.
And like I have said its hard to keep a clean reservoir. Its easy to clog your tubing and then youll have a problem with your plants getting watered. You dont want to leave for a couple days then come back and your plants are droopy from being under watered because of the pump being clogged. A couple things thats mentioned on the bag it self is its fresh water rinsed with no salt residue, as for clay rock/hydroton it has salt build up the reason you have to wash it before you us it in your hydro. I will also put it over clay rock because "croutons" doesnt crush your roots and that can cause root rot. Its hard for the plants roots to grow threw such a hard medium while being crushed. "croutons" are light weight and they also keep there shape when being wet. This allows easy root penetration. Besides its still a coco coir product. It has coco fibers. Its also a renewable resource unlike peat. So all around its a great product to use.

Good question, Its $20 a bag. Unless you have a farm your not even going to put a dent in the bag. Its cheaper then alot of mediums. And im pretty sure you can reuse it. Its not like it goes to waste. But lets take coco coir for example. As FuzzyDuck pointed out to me, "From what i understand of this growing medium is that it strips/depletes magnesium & calcium from the nutrients/growing medium used." hes a great source of info.
And like I have said its hard to keep a clean reservoir. Its easy to clog your tubing and then youll have a problem with your plants getting watered. You dont want to leave for a couple days then come back and your plants are droopy from being under watered because of the pump being clogged. A couple things thats mentioned on the bag it self is its fresh water rinsed with no salt residue, as for clay rock/hydroton it has salt build up the reason you have to wash it before you us it in your hydro. I will also put it over clay rock because "croutons" doesnt crush your roots and that can cause root rot. Its hard for the plants roots to grow threw such a hard medium while being crushed. "croutons" are light weight and they also keep there shape when being wet. This allows easy root penetration. Besides its still a coco coir product. It has coco fibers. Its also a renewable resource unlike peat. So all around its a great product to use.

Great answered :thanks: u sure they reusable? still 28L/20$ it's dubble of what i pay for pellets.. do they allow to dry.. i'm thinking of wet root rot vs root rod of this crush you mentioning

Back
Top Bottom