58 degree SoCal nights: Can they stay outside overnight?

Senorbuzzzzy

My girls are starting off nice so far. Thanks to this board for the help.

My 16 day old seedlings that have been outside everyday...they are doing well in the spring breezes I get from the ocean. I’ve been bringing them indoors at night. Low temperature in the 58 degree range near the coast. I’d like to start leaving them out overnight as they will get about 3 hours more morning sun. Do you think they would be ok on those cool nights?

Strains are Amnesia Fast/Blueberry/OG Kush. The stems are stiff and the third set of leaves are growing fast.
76880BB8-6E83-4E63-8991-46A7DD92E681.jpeg

My 16 day old seedlings that have been outside everyday...they are doing well in the spring breezes I get from the ocean. I’ve been bringing them indoors at night. Low temperature in the 58 degree range near the coast. I’d like to start leaving them out overnight as they will get about 3 hours more morning sun. Do you think they would be ok on those cool nights?

Strains are Amnesia Fast/Blueberry/OG Kush. The stems are stiff and the third set of leaves are growing fast.
Hey Señor! Welcome to the forum! I'm in California too. Central Coast near the Monterey Peninsula. I too get the benefit of the late afternoon ocean breeze! Brings in a lot of fresh air!

They should be fine outside. I wouldn't shock them and just leave them out. They would probably be fine but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe over the next week, try bringing them in a few hours after the sun sets. The coldest part of the day is generally right before the sun comes up. If you can get them out when the sun is coming up, that would be really good for their health. We are well past the average frost date for any grow zone in CA. Technically, you should be fine just leaving them out but like I said before, maybe just transition them slowly.

I'm up in Oregon, Portland area and I have left my plants outside during the night when temps get down to around 40 degrees. Cannabis is a hardy plant, it should be able to take it. A few days of doing what BakedARea said and you should be fine if you are worried about it. Happy growing!

-Vape

Yours are out in 40 and I’m freaking about 58??? My plants are being coddled!

They get blown pretty well every day, so the stems are really growing stiff and strong. I’ve got nice healthy ones going. I think they can handle it...I’m just wondering if there is a benefit to taking them in at night besides bugs not getting to them as much. I want strong plants but not stressed plants.

Beautiful plant! They won't stress much if they are ready for it. It actually helps them have some recovery time to prepare for the next day of photosynthesis. It's like having a killer workout and then getting a cold shower or ice bath. It helps your system recover faster. For me, the killer last year was the wet air coming from the ocean later in the season. Couple that with cold and you will get bud rot setting in quick. Just a fair warning to be sure to stay on top of your pest and disease control.

I’ve been leaving them out after sunset for almost a week and then they come inside but I think since this week is 59 every night, I’m going to let them stay outside. Mornings are grey but that’s like three extra hours of light they will be getting if I leave them out. I get occasional ocean fog but I’m 8 miles inland from the coast so it’s not often at all.

I would get them outside for the extra light. I have up potted and moved indoor plants
outside into mid 40 deg nights and they do fine. (without hardening off)
Not ideal but I ran out of space indoors.

Here, I'm happy when we can get and stay in the mid 40's overnight. Hopefully we get there soon. I put an auto outside for a few days to finish in the cold. Chopped it today, it got down to 36.5 - 2.5c last night and will be below freezing in a few days. That should be the last freeze. I have one I started on 4.20 showing variegation that I want to put outside. Soon!

DSC00284.JPG

Hell yes that’s warm enough to leave them out! 50 and higher is fine! I’m in NorCal too and I leave mine out 24x7 as long as the temps are above 50 and it ain’t raining. A brand new sport I won’t keep inside till it’s sprouted a second or 3rd set of leaves yours look great!

ED925417-8186-4983-B3FC-B2703ED3331F.jpeg

I’m up in the Bay Area (Cali), near Napa, we get sea breezes most days and a fair amount of fog. Temps in the low 50’s, never bothered my plants a bit. I even grew once at 7200 feet. High 20’s, Low 30’s at night, up to 90 in the daytime. Wasn’t a stellar grow, but they did fine!

Back
Top Bottom