6 Amnesia Clones: Novice Grow

UKnorthman

PHOTO_20170518_140834.jpg

So my set up..

Custom built grow tent. 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.9m (4'x4'x6') with space underneath for my reservoir.

600w digital dimmable ballast. (250/400/600/660).
Parabolic style reflector, 0.9m diameter.
Horizontally mounted dual spectrum bulb.
All on 2 Ratchet hangers.
Controlled by a lumii heavy duty timer.

Custom grow system.
2 x main 40lt grow buckets/tanks.
Both drain from the bottom into a common 25lt reservoir.
A 1600lt/hr pond pump feeds a manifold.
The manifold has a line to each grow bucket and one recirculating back to the reservoir for pressure regulation.
Each bucket has a ring of 13mm supply pipe inside, with 6 sprayer heads screwed into it.
Additionally each plant has its own top feeding dripper.
The plants are in 4" 100mm net pots suspended in the grow bucket lids.
The pots are filled with just clay pebbles.

RVK 4" extractor fan with Rhino filter.
6" circulating clip fan.
Cheap ultrasonic humidifier.

Using Canna Aqua nutrient range (aqua veg a/b, aqua flower a/b, rhizotonic, pk 13/14, cannaboost). I've substituted their enzyme product for Multizyme on grow shops recommendation.

Mix them with tap water.

Use ph paper (5.5-7.5) and ph down solution for adjustment.

Have a Bluelab ec truncheon but for now I'm just measuring my quantities out so this isn't getting used.

Sorry, I'm on my phone and the option didn't show up, hopefully pic should show this time.

This was yesterday..

amnesia-grow.1365717

... They have been in about a week but I've seen next to no growth.

I had the light on 250w and found when I upped it to 400w my humidity went from 35% to below 25% at times.

There is also some signs of nite burn (I think?). I worked up to Canna's recommendation for light feeding but have since read people use 1/4 or 1/2 the manufacturers advice.

Made a few changes today.. Changed the water out and halved my nutes, Rhizotonic finally arrived so added 2/3 recommended dose, installed a cheap ultrasonic humidifier which has got me back up to around 35%

Thanks man, was tempted by an led set up myself but would have broke my budget..

Here's progress today, think the combination or Rhizotonic and my new humidifier have really helped. Seeing my first real growth in a week with a few new tips..

PHOTO_20170525_140052.jpg

Still not sure if I suffered nute burn or zinc issues in the first week. Just know I got no growth.. Anyone any ideas?
PHOTO_20170521_185011.jpg

Hit my biggest plans first and started at the bottom.. I took this and one other burnt leaf off but I've left the rest and they now on a weaker nutes

Saw a far more experienced friend who's used the same clones in the past and I'm now pretty sure that in transferring from soil starters to just clay and in starting them on nutes too early and too strong; I've wasted my first week and possibly the second in recovery time :( He also uses a mainly Canna nutes but recommended Vita-Link starter for the first week. I've seen some new growth now though so I think I've missed the boat on this.. One for next time!

Nice to have you along. My gf studies chemistry, she's going to look into the science stuff a bit more for me.

Water is from the tap, the supply locally is really good quality from a drinking point of view so I'm hoping the girls agree. Canna nutes seem very stable. I'm using very small quantities of pH down and some 0.5 indicator paper to keep things in the 5.5-6.0 range. Was advised a little fluctuation of pH was good.

Hottest day of the year today and no ac means temps have been well over 30c 90f and I'm battling with low humidity as a consequence. What do people consider an absolute maximum?

Think they going to need nursing until tonight, might add some frozen water bottles as a short term fix. Got me regretting not getting a 6" extractor and having that bit extra airflow. Another one for next time!

So I'm really struggling with temperature!!

It's round 22c / 72f outside

If I run my light on 400w with circulation fan pointed right at the bulb I'm getting 30-33c / 85-90f at canopy height with the door closed.

I'm really keen to get up to 600w given my poor start and yesterday's new growth. Soon as I do though, temps shoot to over 35c / 95f!!!

Whilst I'm home I've got the door open and light on 600w. Temps are down to 24c / 75f. Ok for now but once it's dark outside I need the door shut so I don't light the street up! That means back down to 400w and temps dangerously high again! :(

Will look on the cctv and see what the temps are like overnight. My lights are on 14.00 off 08.00.

I've already gone over budget. Anyone any suggestions that don't involve ac? I've no idea what I'm going to do when flowering eventually starts and they will need the light on full!

So I'm really struggling with temperature!!

Does your exhaust blow enough? Do you have a negative pressure when its close?
Its hard without an AC, specially in summer.

Maybe adding an intake fan?

A cool tube would be great, but that more $$ involve.

How's your humidity? More humidity help to cool down.

I had a 400w hps before, and it was impossible to run in summer without an ac, but I'm on the 3rd floor.

Exhaust has a few bends to navigate it's way out the house, probably halving the flow if I'm honest. This internal ducting can't be replaced and so I'm stuck with 4" otherwise I'd probably have a bigger fan already.

I thought about an intake fan but I don't know where I'd get one small enough to still be affective but not to give me positive pressure.

Humidity was crashing below 30% regularly even before this recent heat. I got an ultrasonic humidifier from amazon for £15. Now stable around 35% which is as good as I think I'm going to get it. When the lights out it's more like 50%.

I refill it twice a day each time with a coke cans worth of chilled water. I'm sure it's having a cooling affect too. Still might get a second, I'm not sure.

Thinking of getting a cool tube and possibly modifying my parabolic to fit above it?? Would mean some adaptors and some extra ducting so around £50 but I don't see another way if I hope to have a chance at 600w running.

I'm also using frozen coke bottle in my res to keep feed water cool. I think the roots are really appreciating this and the Rhizotonic, I'm seeing more and more tips finding their way out the net pots.

I couldn't stand looking at the worst of the nute burn and I had one plant getting a little too far ahead of the rest so I have trimmed a few leaves and topped the biggest. Might have slowed things down again but I accept this isn't going to be the smooth 3 week veg I was hoping for.

I get slightly more light on the far side of my room so I'm giving the 3 worst a few days to come on and after that I'm picking my favorites and giving them prime placement.

Ignore the meter reading, just sprayed and had the door open with a blower changing the air out so it's way lower than I've been getting..

PHOTO_20170527_164743_1_.jpg

I've made my cooltube myself with a Bake-A-Round tube, check it out its like 10$ on ebay.

For intake you can use a speed controller to get the right amount of air.
Maybe adding a second 4" inline for exhaust?

But you clone look really nice, very sativa leaves! :thumb:

Research into air cooled lighting is still ongoing but I think it's inevitable I'm going to need new hardware..

A second exhaust fan might be an option! Anyone experience of using two fans in serial?

Felt like I'd got carried away trimming off the nute burnt leaves yesterday but 12 hours on and I've check my camera. They look to have loved it! Some really noticeable growth!

Just after the trim..

Screenshot_20170527-205212.png

This morning..

Screenshot_20170528-115659.png

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom