600w vs 1000w HPS, cooltube or not?

stonergrow

Hey everyone! Just got into this forum, looks like there is a great community here. So I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time here :goodjob:

So I'm getting a 120x120x200cm tent or 4x4x6.5feet for you imperial guys.

I would like a 1000w HPS, but it's almost twice as expensive as a 600w here I live. So my question then, is it worth spending the extra dough to get a little extra power? I have heard something about the yields/buds being much better with the 1000w, although I'm unsure about it.

The second question is, should I use a cooltube or not? From what I understand a 1000w need some cooling of sorts and I might even need it on the 600w.
How much effectiveness do you loose from using a cooltube?

Thanks

My tent is about the same size as yours, check out my journal for more info. I use a 600W and it works fine, I'm sure the 1000W would be better but then you have to worry a lot about the temp in the grow room. Right now I'm just using the 600W HPS in a wing reflector and I'm able to get the light 12-18 inches from the plants, temps around 77F. The MH's run hotter by at least 4 degrees. The 1000W will essentially need the cooltube, requiring a bunch more stuff to be installed in your room. The 600W is the easier and cheaper route, but the yield will be less, not sure how much less though. The cooltube only loses effectiveness as the glass panel between the light and plant gets dirtier, so keep it very clean and you won't lose much, 10% at most if I remember my research right.

a 600 gives off more lumens per watt than a 1000. 600 rules. i run 2 in a 240x120x120 as you are running a 120x120 then a 600 is perfect cool shades for me = nice and close to my tops.oh yes happy days
first_week_flower_001.JPG
first_week_flower_004.JPG
setup66.JPG

Thanks to the both of you! :)

Think I will go for 600w then with peace and save some money while at it. Was afraid that I had to go for 1000w to get a decent yield.

I like your setup STOP, looks very good. How big are your pots and what is the name of your reflector?

they are 18L Air pruning pots on a .wilma system . good system BUT i will be getting 2 GT100 nft tanks as soon as this is done.so much beter. but its all i have at the moment,so on we go. will still get a good yield , i always do.but nft is so much easier .like one can see the roots ,one can see the water flowing ,and most of all one does not waste any height ,being taken up by big pots. . you have a 120 x120 great size for a 600 thats what i used befor going up one size. 4 plants on a nft gt100 under a 600 in a 120x 120 tent i can pull 20 dry oz. min. in pots just with grow bags 3-5 dry off each plant. grow plants with some indica in them as you are in a tent and want 4 fat bushy christmas trees . and you don't need any air intake fans just run extraction .negative pressure .rules 600=18 inches of the top of plants=no stretch.happydays

Cheers for the info!
I might try a hydro setup later, but first I want to go for a coco grow then experiment with hydro later.

I might have to buy more stuff of ebay, seems a bit cheaper on there.

Thanks again!

I've been using a MH1000W(18/6) for 3 weeks now & my plants are ready for flower HPS(12/12)
How long between time should I wait ? I just hit the switch 2 hours ago. Should I wait 6 hours or 12 ?

wait 6 or 12 don't really know what the question is. if you are 18/6 and you are switching to 12/12 it doesn't matter when you do it .as long as ur timers are set to 12/12 .it needs this continually to start to change. abreak in light going in to flower won't harm them. happy days .
9_days_in_to_flower_004.JPG

Back
Top Bottom