6040-F2525 A1 COB: Legit or cheap knockoff?

Geeez. What an idiot I am. All the plugs have the UL label on it. Sorry for wasting time on stupid question. Happy growing!

Golly, I haven't seen a genuine UL label in a long time. I think that's more or a statement of fireproofness and good engineering and manufacturing process. I do believe as TS said that there should be a label stating FCC and/or European acceptance as well, which covers electrical noise.

Golly, I haven't seen a genuine UL label in a long time. I think that's more or a statement of fireproofness and good engineering and manufacturing process. I do believe as TS said that there should be a label stating FCC and/or European acceptance as well, which covers electrical noise.

Very cool. I shall check that out today when I go into the girls room
Thanks again.

So they arrived!

Whipped up a prototype real quicklike

420-magazine-mobile1879856817.jpg

So far so good

420-magazine-mobile740333991.jpg

420-magazine-mobile462502556.jpg

Just finished it's first 12hour cycle, very little heat change in the cab from outside room temp, more than 10F cooler than with CFLs overall.

Heatsink doesn't get hot in the slightest
The chip itself becomes untouchable, with the fans off the heatsink heats up within a few seconds, but all systems working fine it looks to be a go!

Well they look cool. I hope they work as well for you. Thanks for the report.
To be dead honest, this is (as far as I know...) only 2 x 50w chips and it makes a lot more light than my combined CFL setup of 200w.

I hope switching over near the end of my grow doesn't have negative effects, but will definitely post a comparison with my next using this.

Will be ordering more soon seeing as it took about 80 days to arrive.

Temperature is also a big plus for me, seeing that 10F drop from the CFLs really got me excited.

The only thing I dislike so far is the purple, after working with the plants for a minute everything appears green afterwards for a few minutes, should probably get protective eyewear.

I hope switching over near the end of my grow doesn't have negative effects

More light can only be good, methinks. ;

after working with the plants for a minute everything appears green afterwards for a few minutes, should probably get protective eyewear.

The same thing happened to me last night while fussing with lights. Time to get out the polarized sunglasses and baseball cap. (I already have some clouding in my left lens, says the optometrist; I really don't want to make that any worse. :p)

More light can only be good, methinks. ;

Think I should pop some of my CFLs back in there?

The same thing happened to me last night while fussing with lights. Time to get out the polarized sunglasses and baseball cap. (I already have some clouding in my left lens, says the optometrist; I really don't want to make that any worse. :p)

Take care of them eyes, I wish I never have to deal with sight issues.. probably my worst fear

Switching power supplies (i.e. digital ballasts) can be incredibly noisy, especially if poorly designed.

You can shield them by wrapping them in foil that is directly connected to good RF ground and stop the noise from leaking out the cords by wrapping them around ferrite donuts ("toroids").

To be dead honest, this is (as far as I know...) only 2 x 50w chips

Would you happen to have one of those inexpensive "Kill a Watt" meter things that you plug into an outlet and plug your electrical device into? I'd be interested in learning just how many watts (at whatever voltage you're getting at that particular outlet) those things consume.

Will be ordering more soon seeing as it took about 80 days to arrive.

WOW! I've heard of "slow boats from China," :rolleyes3 , but they must have had someone strap them onto their back and swim to you. What did they do, wait until you ordered the products to mine the materials that they'd (eventually) be using to manufacture them?

The only thing I dislike so far is the purple, after working with the plants for a minute everything appears green afterwards for a few minutes, should probably get protective eyewear.

YES! I've got a blurple from one of our more recent sponsors, and it appears to be relatively potent (for its wattage). Lacking a pair of "wraparound" sunglasses in the appropriate color, I tried looking towards the panel through two empty two-liter bottles of Mountain Dew - and it appeared to almost be "normal" white artificial light, lol. So something with green lenses might be appropriate? Remember to ensure that they also block UV wavelengths, too.

I already have some clouding in my left lens, says the optometrist; I really don't want to make that any worse.

From one person with severe eye issues to another, you have my heartfelt sympathies.

Also, I don't have a radio... especially AM radio... any way I can test for RF noise without it?

If you were my neighbor, I'd be happy to let you borrow my portable scanner. It's several years old now, but is a good one in terms of reception strength (et cetera), and is capable of scanning the vast majority of the radio spectrum between 25 mHz and 1.3 gHz, and for purposes of this discussion, you could probably infer(?) birdies in the few non-scannable frequency ranges, too, if the transmissions are strong enough. Perhaps you can think up a good (sounding) excuse for borrowing one, and then post a CraigsList ad asking to do so from someone local to you? (Or you could just buy one off of eBay, which is how I managed to "afford" mine way back when - you wouldn't believe some of the things that you might hear over one... until you hear them, lol.)

Switching power supplies (i.e. digital ballasts) can be incredibly noisy, especially if poorly designed.

And this is, sadly, not as uncommon as people seem to think.

You can shield them by wrapping them in foil that is directly connected to good RF ground and stop the noise from leaking out the cords by wrapping them around ferrite donuts ("toroids").

Hmm... Faraday (grow-)cage, LOL?

Update.

The build with 10* 6040 F2525 A1 50w/220v cobs. Keeping this realy low budget i decided that the cheapest cooling i could find in my scrap was this 5mm thick aluminum sheet of metal its 100cm*30cm so i should get good coverage in my 120cm*60cm tent. I hope this will be enough for heatdisp...

My seedlings are 1 week old now but i will wait a few days until i let them bake under this. This is going to be very intresting to see... i will keep you informed with the progress...

Update.

The build with 10* 6040 F2525 A1 50w/220v cobs. Keeping this realy low budget i decided that the cheapest cooling i could find in my scrap was this 5mm thick aluminum sheet of metal its 100cm*30cm so i should get good coverage in my 120cm*60cm tent. I hope this will be enough for heatdisp...

My seedlings are 1 week old now but i will wait a few days until i let them bake under this. This is going to be very intresting to see... i will keep you informed with the progress...

How is the heat dissipation in your design working out? I am waiting on 24 of the 50w burps, and 12 warm white. Considering an economical way to cool and not have 36 fans running. Thanks.

36?! OMG! Are you opening a dispensary? =)

I haven't run it more than a few hours yet. I´m worried that the heat buildup will melt the cables i´ve run through the holes in the sheet if i run it for longer. I´m going to get heat proof shielding for them tomorrow and test it out this weekend. So i can report on Sunday how it works out.

I´m also adding a ferrit shielding to the power cable, don´t want the electric company to come and look at my lights due to the power distortion these cobs send out...

Great idea with the heat shielding, and also the rf grounding, definitely will do both. I ordered 36 mainly to account for defective cobs, and to have spares. I riveted an aluminum frame to spread 12ft.sq. I'm thinking 50watts/ft. on 1 switch, and another switch for 75-100w/ft for those special occasions. Both options with a mix of spectrum. In another test I'm trying to use them as side/supplemental light with HIDs. Thanks for your input, look forward to your results. No dispensary, just lots of buddies :)

I had 3 of them supporting my 400w hps in the end of my last grow. I have a very low tent 160cm and noticed the higher buds where drying upp in the last weeks of the grow. This is one of the reasons i am trying to switch to leds to get rid of the UV radiation. And i had a lot of problem with the narrow spread of light in the tent from my hps. The goal with this is to run sog with 15 * 10L pots and very nice spread of light from this led panel i´ve built.

Ok. Finally testweekend. Got hold of heat/fire proof shielding and a small ferrit core clamp. 6 cobs turned ON and 4 left OFF for now.

Happy test subjects. 2 weeks old Bulk Seed´s Auto Cheese are now basking in 300w blurp led. =)

Back
Top Bottom