70-100 watt HPS as supplemental lighting

ChefKimbo

Happy Tuesday 420,

I recently made an upgrade to my grow with a Mars 600 LED panel, I'm looking to make my lighting much more efficient. This panel only draws 272 watts from wall.
IMAG12456.jpg
The LED replaced a 12 bulb CFL fixture which did well to get my plant to mid-flower, heavy supplemental lighting is needed. As time passed I realized I was adding more and more light and getting more heat and less efficiency. It got very crowded in the cab and had become a PITA to do just about anything in there with 12 sq. feet and a 4 ft. ceiling.
My goal is to remove the all CFLs from the cab. The CFLs will be used to veg clones and seedlings in another area, they did a damn good job with my plants and kept them short when I needed them to be short. The main reasons for the switch is because I have to run A/C all day due to daytime heat and the heat generated from the lighting at night. Finding the right formula for adequate cooling during lights on cycle has proven to be elusive still. Ambient temps fall throughout the night, and by early morning the A/C will turn off and the temps in the cab will dangerously go up. So I end up turn A/C down further and temps are in the high 60s to low 70s all night. Without A/C temps would be 95F+ even with the exhaust fan at full throttle with lights on. So my logic is if I must run A/C all day I might as well get better lighting. I can take advantage of this cooling inefficiency by adding more intense lighting, but within reason. I am limited by a 15 amp line and adding anything more than a couple 70 or 100 watt hps bulbs/ballast would put me close or even at 12 amps which is the limit. Removing the remaining CFL and T5s and adding for example two-70 hps bulbs give me back 128 watts to use for clones and vegging small plants in waiting for flower. Also read that the high surface heat of the bulbs can help lower humidity as well, then I can avoid buying a dehumidifier. Is this logic legit, or am I sounding like the noob I really am lol. Either way some much needed advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HPS as supplemental lighting ? :rofl::rofl:

I wouldn't do that. Your setup looks good and your girl is already grooving to the rhythm you've given her from the get go.

Experience has spoken...Thank you Sara, much appreciated.

Lol I know HPS as supplemental sounds crazy but I try to consider all possible avenues according to what I've learned so far. No experience with the effectiveness of LED panels so supplemental lighting has been a question for me. You see one small plant in there and you think too much light, but my next grow I plan to do 3 girls under a scrog. So knowing where my efficiency stands as far as supplemental lighting is important.

Thanks for the solid advice guys.

what makes LEDs cool is that they use specific plant light spectrum where as HPS is just pounding the plants with lumens

And, some you can even adjust the spectrum either by Ethernet or wifi. You can basically have the lights simulate the sun rising, at high noon and setting. I love my LEDs

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

d794b9ae4b1162f717c8e5f140002741.jpg

This is my 2nd grow under Spider 6 COB LED first grow went awesome only used 300w in a 2.4x1.5 tent. This round I'm going 2 x 300w Spider COB LED. Oils from my last grow quality was out of this world. Picture of my 2nd grow 2 weeks in bloom

Experience has spoken...Thank you Sara, much appreciated.

Lol I know HPS as supplemental sounds crazy but I try to consider all possible avenues according to what I've learned so far. No experience with the effectiveness of LED panels so supplemental lighting has been a question for me. You see one small plant in there and you think too much light, but my next grow I plan to do 3 girls under a scrog. So knowing where my efficiency stands as far as supplemental lighting is important.

Thanks for the solid advice guys.

LED does work, solo better than supplementing lighting from hps. There is a lot of led that dont work as well, these are generally what we call aquarium lights as they r just LED not a COB LED. The Spider MCOB LED is programmed as the light spectrum with UV and produces awesome results. We are finding quality of grow with the LED Is superior compared to hps grow when comes to oils and resigns. Been trialing these now for 1.5yrs in Australia and I know growers that would never go back to hps or supplementing with hps. LED All the way.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Wow, awesome grows everyone!!!

From what I looks like, these LEDs being used in these grows outclass the Mars Hydro line. I have zero experience, but the proof is usually in the pricing.
My question would be how would you rate your buds as far as density is concerned? I enjoy a dense bud, it doesn't have to be the strong buzz in the world, but density and aroma is what I consider my premiums. Potency is important to me as well with the prospect of making hash and oils.
How you rate you final harvests in this with density in mind?

From what I looks like, these LEDs being used in these grows outclass the Mars Hydro line. I have zero experience, but the proof is usually in the pricing.
My question would be how would you rate your buds as far as density is concerned? I enjoy a dense bud, it doesn't have to be the strong buzz in the world, but density and aroma is what I consider my premiums. Potency is important to me as well with the prospect of making hash and oils.

Lol yes mars is like my aquarium light . yet the Spider COBs arnt that dear not like spectrum king, ouch. As for density I say supreme and aroma, they stink . lol funny to say but omg the smells so strong I can't get it off me from just walking in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

obviously if you pay more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ you get some more features.

Mars Hydro is good stuff because you never hear stories of unhappy customers and their support on 420 is bigger than any other light vendor.

And yes, the Mars do grow dank from what I've seen on :420:

The spider is more expensive because you're getting COBs instead of single wave-length LED diodes and you're getting glass lenses to focus the light.

Anyway ... good luck no matter which route you pick :thumb:

I'm drying two plants from my LED now and I'll let you know. My GSC and rude bois feel very dense. I'll send you some final photos in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

these are my cobs ... have yet to install them but that is just about to happen :bongrip:

I'm going to run them @ 270 watts or however hot the heatsink allows

IMG_237624.JPG

Mars Hydro is good stuff because you never hear stories of unhappy customers and their support on 420 is bigger than any other light vendor.

And yes, the Mars do grow dank from what I've seen on :420:
This was my very next statement. I'm just not seeing the negative reviews you get with unsatisfactory results. I'm not convinced that everyone buying Mars Hydro panels are inexperienced/new hobbyist and patients with no understanding of grams per watt.
What really made me go for the Classic 600 model was a review I saw on Amazon. There was a guy saying that a lot of times these companies lose capital in the manufacturing process, producing high quality products at a loss. He was saying the 600 was a high quality panel but the manufacturing process may have been too expensive. So now the company pushes their newer models, with possibly cheaper parts like casings and other non-conductive or electrical components, at slightly higher prices to recoup some early losses. I'm not saying that their new products aren't any good because I wouldn't really know. But from experience I do know that sometimes you get an "easter egg" from the early manufacturing process that you won't see again as the process is refined for more profit. I also noticed that the sales reps always promote the newer products, just doing their jobs. The elephant in the room is the fact that the older model panels are still viable options, depending on your setup. Again, they are just doing their job, but I enjoy being a wiser consumer. It makes sense because their are lots of industries who employ this tactic, namely the video game console industry. Console are so expensive to make they take an early loss and gamble on software developers to invest in their hardware and produce games for their consoles. Its a gamble that usually pays off.

As far as personal experience, my plant smells better than it ever did under the CFLs. I'm not 100% sure other factors weren't involved, I did have some PH issues. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that getting the panel was an upgrade from what I was running. Already planning to get a second 600 to finish off my box and move on to building a tent for flowering. That is until I see enough clear cut evidence that these DIY COB setups are a better option for us DIYers!!! I am also trying to find more info on the Eye Hortilux PowerVeg T5 tubes. Really looks like an option for those of us who struggle with heat and power consumption limitations but I cant find any reviews for their product in relation to growing cannabis.

Vlad, how do you plan to setup your COBs?

i build one power supply to run 4 of the COBs in series 140V DC which is dangerous for people that aren't careful/respectful of high voltage devices.

Then I will cap the COBs with same glass lens reflector that Spider uses.

Peace :bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom