8 Week Old Plants, 92 Watt CFL Grow. Your thoughts please? (w/Questions + Pics)

BrokeSmokes

Hey guys,

Need your thoughts/critique on how my plants are doing and I also have a few questions I am hoping you guys can answer for me. I just threw them onto 12/12 on Wednesday after being in complete darkness for about 30 hours. Already I am seeing rapid growth since the switch (ended up burning some tips as well -_-), hoping to see the sex soon. I recently topped them last Wednesday. Oh and this is my first grow :)

Soil: Miracle Gro Moisture Control (I know not the best)
Strains: OG Kush Mix from Bag seed
Lighting: 4x23w CFL Daylight 2700K I keep them about 1 to 2 inches away from the plants.
Ventilation: Small USB Fan from the top vent, and Home Depot 3 Speed Air Circulator
Growbox: Thick cardboard, about 3ft tall x 2ft wide X 2 ft thick. Inside has sun sheild.
PH: I am planning to pick up a pH meter later very soon.
Pests: 1 baby leafhopper that I vacuumed up.

Now I have a few questions. All help is greatly appreciated.

1.) Is my grow box pretty safe? I have been using cardboard and had no issues as far as extreme heat.
2.) Will my lighting be sufficient?
3.) Are my plants looking good considering the lighting and age?
4.) Some of the fan leaves' stems are a light purple. Is this a deficiency or normal?
5.) How soon will they start to show sex?
6.) When the lights are on I leave the door cracked with the fan facing outwards to get temps right around 80 degrees. Is this OK to do? (The reason is because I am struggling with controlling the temperature probably need more ventilation. Had the doors closed at one point with the Home Depot fan blowing towards the roof and saw the temp at 95 degrees!)
7.) I am trying to keep the temp between 75-85 for flowering is this sufficient? With the door open and the fan extracting air from the grow box it stays around 80-85. I also have a cup of frozen water ready to throw in the box with the fan blowing to it in case it gets too hot in LA.
8.) From my understanding, Miracle Gro does not need any nutes for the whole grow. Is this correct?
9.) I just topped the plants recently, now I am seeing way more than 2 tops each plant is this normal? I thought it would make only 2 tops.

Thanks!

20140719_100451.jpg

20140719_100355.jpg

20140719_093654.jpg

20140719_093354_1.jpg

20140719_093334.jpg

20140719_093328.jpg

20140719_093311.jpg

20140719_093256.jpg

20140719_093239.jpg

1) yes, I have seen multiple grow boxes like that.
I would say yes? But your yield won't be as great as if you added more! I would also suggest putting some of the CFLs up top, but for penatration to the lower hang some CFLs from extension cords around the base of the plants.
Looks good to me?
4.) Some of the fan leaves' stems are a light purple. Is this a deficiency or normal?
Idk, someone else will have to chime in, I'm new myself!
Shouldn't be longer than 1-2 weeks I believe!
6.) When the lights are on I leave the door cracked with the fan facing outwards to get temps right around 80 degrees. Is this OK to do? (The reason is because I am struggling with controlling the temperature probably need more ventilation. Had the doors closed at one point with the Home Depot fan blowing towards the roof and saw the temp at 95 degrees!)
7.) I am trying to keep the temp between 75-85 for flowering is this sufficient? With the door open and the fan extracting air from the grow box it stays around 80-85. I also have a cup of frozen water ready to throw in the box with the fan blowing to it in case it gets too hot in LA.
#6, and #7 yes I think you are fine. Just be aware that you need to keep the area around the box clean as particles like hair, etc could get sucked in there. I also like to subscribe to the theory that as long as its less than 85ish degrees at day and then you have a 10-15 degree drop at night it will be fine...that's how it usually works outside anyway ;)
8.) From my understanding, Miracle Gro does not need any nutes for the whole grow. Is this correct?
Idk, I steered away from that. Its only $10-20 more for proven stuff?
9.) I just topped the plants recently, now I am seeing way more than 2 tops each plant is this normal? I thought it would make only 2 tops.
You might have FIMMEd it, which would result in 4 tops...same thing as topping, you just didn't get all of the growth when you cut

Thanks!
I am a newbie too, so I would wait till someone more experienced chimes in but I think you are doing well!

Edit* a good way to deal with heat is get the LED bulbs that look just like normal lightbulbs. I have done this and 2-4 of the LED bulbs equals the heat from 1-2 cfls...Google flowering with cree bulbs and its a thread on -------- I believe, Captain Morgan is the OP, and he had pretty good results with just some LED bulbs

The plant will grow to fit its environment. So it seems healthy. I have had decent results with miracle grow 3oz but it's obviously not the best as u already know. I see water droplets in ur photos, beware these act like a magnifying glass on an ant in the sun. Which could cause the burnt tips. Ur new growth looks lush so I wouldn't worry about defiencies. I used general hydroponics when I used miracle grow, it seemed needed and showed much improvement. I try to stay 70-80, but kush is the backbone of the west coast so IMO I think the low 80's would be ok, if they start to look wrinkly or dry leaves maybe leave the door open for a bit. I'm not sure about ur CFls as I haven't used them u could probably find a journal using a similar set up using the search icon in the top right of the main page. Hope this helps

Those look good considering the low amount of light. I normally keep mine under a T5 and a string of CFLs until I feel like they are strong and throw them under the MH. Granted I do have a lot of space to work with. I think you'll get a decent result, but obviously with an HID you will get more herbs. But hey, gotta work with what ya got!

1) yes, I have seen multiple grow boxes like that.
I would say yes? But your yield won't be as great as if you added more! I would also suggest putting some of the CFLs up top, but for penatration to the lower hang some CFLs from extension cords around the base of the plants.
Looks good to me?
Idk, someone else will have to chime in, I'm new myself!
Shouldn't be longer than 1-2 weeks I believe!
#6, and #7 yes I think you are fine. Just be aware that you need to keep the area around the box clean as particles like hair, etc could get sucked in there. I also like to subscribe to the theory that as long as its less than 85ish degrees at day and then you have a 10-15 degree drop at night it will be fine...that's how it usually works outside anyway ;)
Idk, I steered away from that. Its only $10-20 more for proven stuff?
You might have FIMMEd it, which would result in 4 tops...same thing as topping, you just didn't get all of the growth when you cut

Thanks!
I am a newbie too, so I would wait till someone more experienced chimes in but I think you are doing well!

Edit* a good way to deal with heat is get the LED bulbs that look just like normal lightbulbs. I have done this and 2-4 of the LED bulbs equals the heat from 1-2 cfls...Google flowering with cree bulbs and its a thread on -------- I believe, Captain Morgan is the OP, and he had pretty good results with just some LED bulbs

Are u referring to the white LED bulbs or the ones with red and blue?

Umm the 2700k cree bulbs? Just go to the depot, or Lowes, or online. Same spectrum as CFLs just LED so less heat, and it draws less electricity... I am vegging with 3 of the 5000k and 1 2700k and my girls love it. They cost like $10 a pop, but you have a 3 year warranty, and its Cree, aka the lords of LED

Umm the 2700k cree bulbs? Just go to the depot, or Lowes, or online. Same spectrum as CFLs just LED so less heat, and it draws less electricity... I am vegging with 3 of the 5000k and 1 2700k and my girls love it. They cost like $10 a pop, but you have a 3 year warranty, and its Cree, aka the lords of LED

Thanks man, I'm going to pick 2 up when I can. I will probably use a power strip and have them low near the floor of grow box

No problem, and another suggestion would be to rotate the plants 180 degrees every time you water, so no site gets left untouched.
I also want to go ahead and tell you that if you use only LED instead of cfl or do a combo, there won't be as much heat so you won't need to water as often if you are in soil

Hey guys,

Need your thoughts/critique on how my plants are doing and I also have a few questions I am hoping you guys can answer for me. I just threw them onto 12/12 on Wednesday after being in complete darkness for about 30 hours. Already I am seeing rapid growth since the switch (ended up burning some tips as well -_-), hoping to see the sex soon. I recently topped them last Wednesday. Oh and this is my first grow :)

1.) Is my grow box pretty safe? I have been using cardboard and had no issues as far as extreme heat.

Thanks!

I saw your 30 hour power outage thread. Wasn't QUITE sure what to say, but as I'm thinking about it, since they were in Veg at the time, and you provided some alternative lighting, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Just keep them on a STEADY 12/12 schedule with a timer.

1. Cardboard can work, but can also absorb moisture from runoff, which can lead to mold. It's something to keep in mind.
2. For how many plants? Unless I missed it, I didn't see a quantity of plants mentioned. I Veg 2 plants using 296W of CFL bulbs (10 total), and Flower I add 2 more bulbs for a total of 342w. I use mixed color temps, when I veg I use mostly 6500K and a few 2700K. When I flower I reverse it and only use a few 6500K and mostly 2700K
3. So far yes, some pictures a little further would give us an idea of height, spread, etc..
4. This is normal, especially on the top. This part of the plant is called a 'petiole'. But some strains will actually have all purple stems, it's something to keep in mind when looking for a deficiency in the future.
5.1-2 weeks.
6.That's fine, as long as the door isn't open when lights are off.
7. Those temps work fine. 85 is the higher end, but you shouldn't have any problems with it.
8. Miracle Grow is the Chevy Cavalier of soils. (No offense if anyone owns a Cavalier, I had one too!) I prefer plain potting soil, and I use a 3 part nutrient mix so I know when my nutes are added, and I know when I have no nutes left (such as when flushing before harvest). Miracle Grow cannot properly supply nutrients to a Cannabis plant in my opinion, and experience.
9. Take a picture of it. Topping will produce 2 tops. FIM'ing will produce 2-4 tops usually, sometimes more.

I'm a newbie as well, in just a few months on this forum I've learned A LOT, so don't worry about being new. We were all new at one time. It's not going to take long before you're answering a question for someone else, while thinking to yourself 'WTF I know all this shit already??"

Good luck on the grow!

:rofl::ganjamon:Oh, I'm seriously looking into hempy style growing. Google that, then Google KISS method. Super easy, and super cheap since it only uses one nutrient, Maxibloom. I am thinking only Perlite. It produces better than soil, and I don't know about y'all but my girls are constantly on my mind, and that's the only downside to the system as far as I can see. You have to checkup constantly. Regardless of that, also Lucas Method shows you that you don't need to pH or worry about water.
Woah. I didn't mean to jack the thread...sorry

I saw your 30 hour power outage thread. Wasn't QUITE sure what to say, but as I'm thinking about it, since they were in Veg at the time, and you provided some alternative lighting, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Just keep them on a STEADY 12/12 schedule with a timer.

1. Cardboard can work, but can also absorb moisture from runoff, which can lead to mold. It's something to keep in mind.
2. For how many plants? Unless I missed it, I didn't see a quantity of plants mentioned. I Veg 2 plants using 296W of CFL bulbs (10 total), and Flower I add 2 more bulbs for a total of 342w. I use mixed color temps, when I veg I use mostly 6500K and a few 2700K. When I flower I reverse it and only use a few 6500K and mostly 2700K
3. So far yes, some pictures a little further would give us an idea of height, spread, etc..
4. This is normal, especially on the top. This part of the plant is called a 'petiole'. But some strains will actually have all purple stems, it's something to keep in mind when looking for a deficiency in the future.
5.1-2 weeks.
6.That's fine, as long as the door isn't open when lights are off.
7. Those temps work fine. 85 is the higher end, but you shouldn't have any problems with it.
8. Miracle Grow is the Chevy Cavalier of soils. (No offense if anyone owns a Cavalier, I had one too!) I prefer plain potting soil, and I use a 3 part nutrient mix so I know when my nutes are added, and I know when I have no nutes left (such as when flushing before harvest). Miracle Grow cannot properly supply nutrients to a Cannabis plant in my opinion, and experience.
9. Take a picture of it. Topping will produce 2 tops. FIM'ing will produce 2-4 tops usually, sometimes more.

I'm a newbie as well, in just a few months on this forum I've learned A LOT, so don't worry about being new. We were all new at one time. It's not going to take long before you're answering a question for someone else, while thinking to yourself 'WTF I know all this shit already??"

Good luck on the grow!

Thanks for the help man. Actually 30 hours wasnt by accident. I actually gave the plant 30 hours of darkness, it wasnt a power outage. I just started flowering on wednesday. Ive read in several places that the extended darkness will help trigger the flowering hormones a little quicker. I also had to adjust the schedule as well. I am running 12/12 hope they turn out all females.

HAHAHA man what a coincidence, someone else had 30 hours of no light, and I didn't check the name, just assumed it was you lol.

You'll find in growing that everyone finds a method that works for them. One person will say do an extended dark period, another will say not to. It's all about trying a few methods that have worked for other growers before you, and finding what works best for you in your environment. Sex will usually start to show around 1-2 weeks after the 12/12 switch.

If you have a good eye, you might even catch some tiny preflowers growing at the nodes on the stem.
You'll want to see something like this if it's female:
2014-06-24_13-35-13_7401.jpg

HAHAHA man what a coincidence, someone else had 30 hours of no light, and I didn't check the name, just assumed it was you lol.

You'll find in growing that everyone finds a method that works for them. One person will say do an extended dark period, another will say not to. It's all about trying a few methods that have worked for other growers before you, and finding what works best for you in your environment. Sex will usually start to show around 1-2 weeks after the 12/12 switch.

If you have a good eye, you might even catch some tiny preflowers growing at the nodes on the stem.
You'll want to see something like this if it's female:
2014-06-24_13-35-13_7401.jpg

Thanks man, its definitely working for me. So it seems that Im going to have to leave this door cracked while the light is on, because I am only able to maintain about 85 degrees. I am seeing a lot of new growth doubt they are preflowers but took pics anyways. I also took a pic further. Please let me know what you guys think. Sorry about the orientation for some reason it automatically puts them in landscape. The white on some of the leaves are just dried up water.

20140720_142105.jpg

20140720_141522.jpg

20140720_141408.jpg

Have to go buy some more sun shield to cover the rest up
20140720_141502.jpg

I do the same thing. I actually open the door after the light has been on about an hour, and I leave the door open all day, and I close it 1 hour before lights out. It works for now, but if your flowering odors get strong, you'll need a solid backup plan.

Plants look good, but I don't see any preflowers yet. It usually takes 1-2 weeks, so be patient.

Male/Female Preflowers all show up nodes, female flowers when you're in 12/12 will start appearing on the ends of branches/tops, as well as the nodes.

You might want to invest in ph down. My first grow I used MG and it was a nightmare. I vegged for around 8 weeks and about 3 weeks into flower my ph jumped sky high. It took everything I had to get it to 8-8.5 but no matter what I did it kept jumping up. My understanding is after 2-3 months MG starts to decompose and it causes your ph to jump up.

Yeah that makes sense^ the good thing about soil is that it buffers out the pH, so you can use tap, but that buffering ability wears off. I figure 30-45 days and then your soil will be completely exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom