9 Big Bud Grow 2 x 600Watt HIDS

you should start doing some close up shots of your plants it's nice to see individuals from time to time.

image7962.jpg
image7961.jpg
image7963.jpg
image7926.jpg

I love how much I'm learning from this :) Just went into the room for my daily check up and noticed that May have overwatered by only just an extra 500ml perhaps. They we'll pull through I'm sure lol but love the learning curve.

:peace:

yeah I'm waiting on my 2 girls to explode so far they just keep growing :D but I did count almost 30 budsites for the both of them so I'm getting a good feeling :D

17" so far and counting :cheesygrinsmiley: :cheesygrinsmiley: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Fwiw, there is no need to flush at the flip. In fact, the plant still needs N. just because you throw the switch, don't think the plants needs immediately changed. Many nutrient manufacturers advise a gradual blend of their grow/bloom formula, thus tapering down the N gradually. This practice of transitioning gradually is probably more important in a hydro grow that doesn't have the soil/soilless mix to "buffer" the nutes. Many think (myself included) that flushing is stressful to a plant (in addition to literally flushing nutrients down the drain).

I would offer you the advice that took me a while to grasp. Instead of a major flush every week, or at the flip etc. simply water enough at each watering to run a small volume through, and then drain the overflow. Don't let them just sit in it and use up the nutes/wash through. Aim for about 10% runoff. This helps avoid any buildup and helps prevent lockout. If your running organic nutes, there will be less of a salt build up issue. If your running an Ionic fert, I like to give an additional mild flush (2-3 times the soil vol) about a week or two into flowering. Since I want to push ferts a little in mid-flower a mild flush ensures I won't have too much buildup causing burning or a lockout at a critical time. Nothing sucks worse than. Watching your girls finish off with crispy, crunchy fluffy popcorn nugs because you pushed her too hard for too long.

Btw, looking good. That rooms about to fill up. I'd like to see a time lapse of you wrestling the girls in future weeks. It's going to be like a contact sport;-)

Fwiw, there is no need to flush at the flip. In fact, the plant still needs N. just because you throw the switch, don't think the plants needs immediately changed. Many nutrient manufacturers advise a gradual blend of their grow/bloom formula, thus tapering down the N gradually. This practice of transitioning gradually is probably more important in a hydro grow that doesn't have the soil/soilless mix to "buffer" the nutes. Many think (myself included) that flushing is stressful to a plant (in addition to literally flushing nutrients down the drain).

I would offer you the advice that took me a while to grasp. Instead of a major flush every week, or at the flip etc. simply water enough at each watering to run a small volume through, and then drain the overflow. Don't let them just sit in it and use up the nutes/wash through. Aim for about 10% runoff. This helps avoid any buildup and helps prevent lockout. If your running organic nutes, there will be less of a salt build up issue. If your running an Ionic fert, I like to give an additional mild flush (2-3 times the soil vol) about a week or two into flowering. Since I want to push ferts a little in mid-flower a mild flush ensures I won't have too much buildup causing burning or a lockout at a critical time. Nothing sucks worse than. Watching your girls finish off with crispy, crunchy fluffy popcorn nugs because you pushed her too hard for too long.

Btw, looking good. That rooms about to fill up. I'd like to see a time lapse of you wrestling the girls in future weeks. It's going to be like a contact sport;-)

Thank you for all that amazing advice I have taken it all on board I assure you :) I like it when I get great advice about the exact procedures to follow. It's always hard at the start. I'll owe you all at 420 loads on the first one as some have you are incredibly informative.

Also I hope I'm wrestling them to be honest haha. Hopefully see buds on day 7!! Optimistic eh. Lol

Things should get interesting when they start the "stretch". Around day 10-14 things should start happening fast. As bushy as those BB girls get, your probably going to want to do some fan leaf removal. Plan on taking off all or most of the bigger ones shading bud sites around day 20 & possibly again around day 40. Maybe split your group in half, using half as the "control" group. Might take a couple runs to find the "sweet spot" of how many leaves to remove. Too many, and the plant will likely respond with leafier buds. No (or not enough) leaf removal will likely produce skinnier buds in their shade. A decent compromise is to remove any big fans up high, and then trim just the tips off others to allow the plant to "think" it still has plenty of fans, thus minimizing its push to replace them in the new growth.

Your doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

Things should get interesting when they start the "stretch". Around day 10-14 things should start happening fast. As bushy as those BB girls get, your probably going to want to do some fan leaf removal. Plan on taking off all or most of the bigger ones shading bud sites around day 20 & possibly again around day 40. Maybe split your group in half, using half as the "control" group. Might take a couple runs to find the "sweet spot" of how many leaves to remove. Too many, and the plant will likely respond with leafier buds. No (or not enough) leaf removal will likely produce skinnier buds in their shade. A decent compromise is to remove any big fans up high, and then trim just the tips off others to allow the plant to "think" it still has plenty of fans, thus minimizing its push to replace them in the new growth.

Your doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

Yeah I have noticed no massive change as of yet after 2 days of flowering the only signs I have had a hairs popping out everywhere which I'm guessing is the very first few days of flower. When I notice that there is large fan leaves covering those bud sites i will remove or trim fan leaves. Yeah I have sort of done that in the room, I have 6 of them that have been topped in the past and a bit of lst training. But there's 3 I haven't really touched and by the way one of them is a satvia. I planted 8 sensi big bud (indica) and 1 delicious seeds cotton candy(Satvia). So that will be interesting. Takes another 8 days to flower though. Also I've noticed the smell is getting greater even with the carbon filter so may need something else to prevent odour. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the great advice it's helping loads dude.

Hi everyone,

Need some advice on odour control, I have massive carbon filter but it extracts air to the bedroom and I'm finding that can still smell it. Plus I smoke it and want to avoid the sweet smell of bud being smelt also in the house. :)

All options and ideas welcomed!

Tell us a little more about the ventilation set up. [edit: nevermind, re-read page 13]. I'm reading back through, and it seems you might be using an intake fan too? Are you maintaining negative pressure? (Tent sucking in?) And how fast is your scrubber fan running? Can you slow it down for increased "dwell" or "contact" time with the carbon? Do you have two fans and filters? Try slowing them down, and either running one on each light, or split the intake of the fan to each seperate light and scrubber. Might have to try a couple configurations to see what works best for you. You might as well plan on adding another scrubber in the room you exhaust into. If its stinking now, just wait... Also, HD, Lowes etc. sell carbon filter material that can be wrapped around your existing carbon filters, thus further enhancing their effect.

I'm surprised your having such strong odor already. Good sign though. But dude, wait till your at the end of flowering, and then curing... Gonna smell a LOT more. Maybe you could tell people you adopted a pet skunk?;-)

Also, is it possible that you have so many fans running in the tent, blowing through any small openings or seams? Just thinking out loud...

Ok, finished reading back through. Couple questions for you. Plans for a future grow? Have you taken clones yet? And most important; have you sexed all your plants? I've been calling them girls, but are we sure yet? If not, you need to be checking twice daily at this point. First sign of bananas = time to creep into your garden with MURDER in your eyes... Gotta protect them flowering girls. In the future, here's a trick to know BEFORE you flip your plants from seed. What you do is take clones as early as possible. As soon as the clones root, flip them. The clones will show sex and then you can kill any male "parents". You can make the clone room happen in a milk crate with a single cfl if you don't have a seperate clone/mother room already.

If your looking for a candidate for a momma, pull some clones ASAP. They'll still take pretty easy this early on in flower (gets a Lil more dicey in later flower, but still doable). Carefully label your clones and their parents so you know what's what after harvest. Consider yield, flavor, smell, and any other characteristics you may want to preserve. Take several clones from each plant to increase likelihood of success. It's a real bitch when your enjoying your produce after harvest and realize one was superior to the others (and your smoking the only one in existance). Clones insure future harvests. After battling phenos or strains with differing growth rates and trying to tie down the leaders, you will appreciate the uniformity of growing from clones.

Also wanted to mention after re-reading our exchanges about "managing fan leaves". I'm not an advocate of stripping, defoliating etc. Only a light to moderate thinning to facilitate better air movement and better lighting of the bud sites. Less is generally more so to speak. After all, those leaves are "factories" if you will. There's a lot of debate about removing fan leaves. I suspect its not helpful at all in strains that show a lankier sativa profile. Super bushy indica doms often get so dense and packed with leaves that mold becomes an issue. I like to have some air movement through the canopy. Hope this helps you, or someone else. I think you'll be fine;-)

Tell us a little more about the ventilation set up. [edit: nevermind, re-read page 13]. I'm reading back through, and it seems you might be using an intake fan too? Are you maintaining negative pressure? (Tent sucking in?) And how fast is your scrubber fan running? Can you slow it down for increased "dwell" or "contact" time with the carbon? Do you have two fans and filters? Try slowing them down, and either running one on each light, or split the intake of the fan to each seperate light and scrubber. Might have to try a couple configurations to see what works best for you. You might as well plan on adding another scrubber in the room you exhaust into. If its stinking now, just wait... Also, HD, Lowes etc. sell carbon filter material that can be wrapped around your existing carbon filters, thus further enhancing their effect.

I'm surprised your having such strong odor already. Good sign though. But dude, wait till your at the end of flowering, and then curing... Gonna smell a LOT more. Maybe you could tell people you adopted a pet skunk?;-)

Also, is it possible that you have so many fans running in the tent, blowing through any small openings or seams? Just thinking out loud...

Hi Bill,

I would say that the tent does have negative pressure as the tent is sucking in as mentioned by yourself. I am using a intake fan also yes. I only have one carbon filter and in line fan. I have been reading online about neutralizer to get rid of any smell. Also Onablocks and gel seems to be popping up a lot. Any recommendations?
I know I can't BELIVE it's smelling already either I do smoke a fair bit so that is probably enhancing the smell in the house but even after work when the house has been empty you can smell it lol.
Pet skunk... Haha could be an idea!! :L
I could be the fans who's knows bro just hope they all turn out ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom