9 day old auto in jiffy pellet leaves curling badly - Help please

JuanJardinero

Hello friends, this is my first grow and any advice is welcomed.

I can't upload attachments yet, here are the photos:
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Here is my setup:
- Seed: Industiral Plant CBD Auto
- Medium: Jiffy Pellet for now. Planning to bury it in 30%Coco, 30%Perlite, 40% Organic Soil later
- Lighting: 2 5watt LEDs 65Kelvin 430lm 10cm from seedling
- Humidity: ~7%
- Temp: 29-31 Celcius
- Ventilation: PC Fan 24/7
- Nutrient: A couple of drops of rice water

The problem:
So on the fifth day after it broke surface, the first pair of leaves start to curl downwards, slightly. Now on the 9th day, it is getting worse, also the cotyledons are starting to yellow. I suspect it is overwatering, but i have no idea.

Things i have tried:
- Soaking the Jiffy Pellet, then drying with towel so the pellet is moist
- Letting the Jiffy Pellet dry

Still this symptom persists. I have tried asking around in other places but it is of no help. Please, friends, any ideas or advice?

Pics pics pics...

Now I hear the jiffy are bad as starter pellets, think they are either to dry or saturated when u water

Check the pellets and be sure they aren't soaked or even dry. A little water a couple times a day may be best

I like the rappid rooters myself

But give us pics to help us help you

This sounds like a classic case of the growth medium being so wet that the roots can't get any oxygen so the plant in effect drowns.

Let the pellet dry out so some air can get to the roots and it should recover, and remember that "Cannabis doesn't like wet feet." Always liet your soil dry out between waterings.

Your lights won't be any where near good enough

> 2 5watt LEDs 65Kelvin 430lm 10cm from seedling

That would be "6500K" I believe, a "daylight" bulb.

Those will get your seedling started, but it will outgrow them in about a couple of weeks or so. Cannabis loves light and needs a LOT of light to produce well.

Just FYI, sponsor GroWant has a nice little LED Grow light on sale for $79 dollars now. That could be a low-cost option for just one plant.

SweetSue Showcases The GROWant GR240 - Lighting Up A 2x2

All good advice, but when were you planning on up potting? At 9 days, I think it would be a wise idea to consider it. Give the roots that are developing somewhere to go. Also your cotyledons will completely disappear in a matter of a couple of days, I wouldn't let their color concern you.

Oh damn. One should never use pellets or Rockwool with autos. It takes them forever to root and they usually die. I know I've tried many ways of growing my autoflowers. If you would like check out my journals. You'll find valuable information on autoflower growing. If you get lost or have any questions please don't be shy. I love autoflowers. So long as they are grown properly they can yield quite a bit. No lies check out my journal

> 2 5watt LEDs 65Kelvin 430lm 10cm from seedling

That would be "6500K" I believe, a "daylight" bulb.

Those will get your seedling started, but it will outgrow them in about a couple of weeks or so. Cannabis loves light and needs a LOT of light to produce well.

Just FYI, sponsor GroWant has a nice little LED Grow light on sale for $79 dollars now. That could be a low-cost option for just one plant.

SweetSue Showcases The GROWant GR240 - Lighting Up A 2x2
Just though 5w leds wouldn't be very much light i alwasy start with as much light as possible
7bba1961831aae270dbb0000a20d2576.jpg
1b0a6d4cfdb050ef8958a2919038cc35.jpg
4f433ef1a5c436573cc0cae18e0fdee4.jpg

Oh damn. One should never use pellets or Rockwool with autos. It takes them forever to root and they usually die. I know I've tried many ways of growing my autoflowers. If you would like check out my journals. You'll find valuable information on autoflower growing. If you get lost or have any questions please don't be shy. I love autoflowers. So long as they are grown properly they can yield quite a bit. No lies check out my journal
Amen brother got to show love for the Autos
7916dc3986a52f635a393801dd405150.jpg
80b71b94038da27d02cf1785ecb3d732.jpg
f57a2d905d87578d0742569324c3c01c.jpg
57d06c2f08514896532b5362ffc6605b.jpg
09a9858779c335e749b2fe644f85d6f4.jpg

Thanks for the advice friends. Here are the pictures:
Leaves_curl.jpg
Leaves_curl_2.jpg

The Jiffy Pellets dry really fast, especially when there is a fan blowing 24/7. So from the picture, what do you guys think is the cause?

@Autoflower420 Definately, i am still waiting for my shippment of lights. I just using 10w for the seedling. They are about 10cm away, so the lumen per m-square should be enough, right?

@Guy Cavallero In the next couple of days when my stuff arrives. I am not seeing any roots sticking out of the pellet yet, so i am not sure if the root system is that developed yet..

@DemonicAngel Thanks, i will check those journels out.

Do you leave the LEDs on 24/7 or give them a 4 hour of darkness?
What is your watering schedule? Water till runoff and let dry for 2-3 days till the top soil feels dry?
Also, do you ever have any success with jiffy pellet? What should the watering schedule be like for jiffy pellets?
Appreciate your help DemonicAngel.

I don't think anyone should use rock wool with anything, but what's wrong with Jiffys? I know RapidRooters have a bigger following, but people have been using Jiffys successfully for decades!
They hold too much moisture I find and so do like most people on the planet. They also take longer to root through. Autoflowers only have a specific lifespan and it slows the plants growth right down....

Do you leave the LEDs on 24/7 or give them a 4 hour of darkness?
What is your watering schedule? Water till runoff and let dry for 2-3 days till the top soil feels dry?
Also, do you ever have any success with jiffy pellet? What should the watering schedule be like for jiffy pellets?
Appreciate your help DemonicAngel.
You can go 18-6 or 20-4. I found the 18-6 the best. I just tried 24 straight but it didn't do as well. I find that giving the plants time in the darkness allowed it to grow much better.

I have a fair bit of experience with jiffy peat. What's your ph? And if no one mentioned your Temps and humidity are way too high and low respectively. Should be around 60-70% relative humidity and below 28 degrees.

The humidity is a typo, i meant to say ~70%
I have yet to receive my PH meter, but i water them with boiled water with added lemon juice, and also fermented rice water which is acidic, so it should be definately below 7.
What should the watering schedule be like for jiffy pellets? i find mine drying out pretty fast with the fan blowing 24/7
Appreciate your advice MadHat.

Back
Top Bottom