9 day old auto in jiffy pellet leaves curling badly - Help please

The humidity is a typo, i meant to say ~70%
I have yet to receive my PH meter, but i water them with boiled water with added lemon juice, and also fermented rice water which is acidic, so it should be definately below 7.
What should the watering schedule be like for jiffy pellets? i find mine drying out pretty fast with the fan blowing 24/7
Thanks for the advice MadHat.
Ok, cool. You should just get test paper unless you are able to check calibration when it arrives. I wouldn't put anything in your water until you know the base ph. Lemon juice is very powerful. You could be bumping it out of range. I believe that peat pellets should be only allowed to get completely dry between waterings after sprouting the leaves open. Peat should be ph to 5.8-6.2. I also suggest using a peat based medium when you transplant because the ph is different and could cause fluctuations.

Couple tips if using jiffy. I started with jiffy because of a website called grow weed easy. Worked great. But I stopped using jiffy because it's a different ph range from soil. So when the plants young its going to as said have ph fluctuations. The other reason is that it's definitely slower to grow then paper towel method. If you are using jiffy pellets couple things. Make sure you drain excess water after soaking and give them a lite squeeze to ring them out. Make sure you do let them get partially dry as seeds stretch when looking for water faster.

ive them a lite squeeze to ring them out..

Users or rock wool are told not to squeeze it to get the excess water out because it permanently changes its structure from open to compressed. (You're supposed to just swing it with a throwing motion to snap the extra water out.)

Do you think the same applies to using Jiffys? Do you think that maybe squeezing them permanently compressed them to their detriment?

Users or rock wool are told not to squeeze it to get the excess water out because it permanently changes its structure from open to compressed. (You're supposed to just swing it with a throwing motion to snap the extra water out.)

Do you think the same applies to using Jiffys? Do you think that maybe squeezing them permanently compressed them to their detriment?
No you aren't supposed to squeeze it.

Oh dear oh dear, ladies and gentlemen, please, i am sure there are pro and cons with the jiffy pellets, but could anyone diagnose what is wrong with my seedlings; its a matter of life and death:Namaste:

Why are leaves curling? What is the likely reason for the slow growth (MadHat suggested it could be that PH is out of whack)? Appreciate it.

Day_10_Leaves_curl.jpg
Day_10_Leaves_curl_2.jpg

It has no soil for roots. Light damages roots and kills the plant. .. looks really dry there and pellets are not good for autoflowers...

Ok, in that case, i will do the transplant to a 30% Coco 30% Perlite and 40% OrganicSoil asap to see if it helps. I will also soak the pellet in water to see if it helps to uncurl the leaves. I will perhaps not use jiffy next time, but i am still trying to salvage this seedling so any advice on how to save her would be appreciated; i could ill afford to lose her.

Ok, in that case, i will do the transplant to a 30% Coco 30% Perlite and 40% OrganicSoil asap to see if it helps. I will also soak the pellet in water to see if it helps to uncurl the leaves. I will perhaps not use jiffy next time, but i am still trying to salvage this seedling so any advice on how to save her would be appreciated; i could ill afford to lose her.
Try everything mentioned and a quick question do you ph your water?

Try everything mentioned and a quick question do you ph your water?

No, i am still waiting for my meter to arrive. Like i told MadHatter, i am using boiled watered (ph > 7 according to the public utilities record) with some lemon juice and fermented rice water which is acidic. I might be pushing the ph way too low. I think i will water the pellet with unadultered water for a while to see how it goes.

No, i am still waiting for my meter to arrive. Like i told MadHatter, i am using boiled watered (ph > 7 according to the public utilities record) with some lemon juice and fermented rice water which is acidic. I might be pushing the ph way too low. I think i will water the pellet with unadultered water for a while to see how it goes.
Try RO water easier to maintain ph and better for your plant.

Well I think PH is first bet. I would stop adding anything to the water until you know the base PH and honestly the seedling doesn't look that bad. Try not to boil it either unless you have unclean water. It won't help with ppm or anything. I recommend ph test kits from the pet store. They are cheap and work great. Jiffy peat I was saying after they puff up in water to lightly squeeze them out to pack the soil in tight before seeds and to drain excess water. So as said it doesn't look that bad. It's a seedling and all the leaves it has now you will pull when it gets a few more nodes anyway. It won't die just yet. Just start adding regular water for now until you can test it. You don't need much lemon juice to spike it out of range so use caution with this method. You're doing great man.

Back
Top Bottom