90F Rez Temps No Problem

Re: 90F Rez Temps No Problem.

Got any pics of the herbs growing at 90 f temps

Those pictured in OP's video were grown in the high 80's, with temps sometimes rising to 90 or above but only for maybe 6 hours at a time during the day. The guy who makes this particular unit routinely grows tomatoes in those temps (Florida, where it's always hot and humid), with the only issue being of course ripening the fruit as they love heat but don't like to ripen as fast at such high temps.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that by herbs you probably meant cannabis. I personally do not grow cannabis and only grow food so I can't comment on it. Sorry if that is off topic for this forum. I have no idea how well cannabis would grow in those temps and probably wouldn't recommend it.

Alright i think I heard enough to convince me and go ahead and order it (fizzy farm), unless someone has How to.

Somewhere

It's totally possible to make a venturi pump yourself I imagine, but honestly for the price i'd just buy it all pre-assembled. I have the fizzy farm and I love it. The cool thing about venturi pumps too is that the velocity of the pump keeps the roots floating/suspended so they don't know where the bottom of the tub is for most of the time even though it's a shallow reservoir, which IMO makes them continue branching and growing in a way that I didn't see with my homemade DWC.

Hey Outdoorhydro, on a regular DWC bubbler you would just add the venturi pump instead of a airstone/air pump correct? I'm new to growing, so I'm just learning. Also you don't grow kush right? So if you don't no one has tried out this to grow cannabis..

Somewhere

Hey Outdoorhydro, on a regular DWC bubbler you would just add the venturi pump instead of a airstone/air pump correct? I'm new to growing, so I'm just learning. Also you don't grow kush right? So if you don't no one has tried out this to grow cannabis..

Somewhere

Well the way most people do it is to just use an airstone/airpump combo in a DWC. I would just remove the airstone all together and replace with the venturi, which is what I've done on my systems as it gives a noticeable edge to the growth in my particular climate (Norcal).

I don't grow kush personally, but let's just say I am in NorCal and have a few acquaintances who grow on a pretty large scale for the local dispensaries and I can tell you that most of what I learned for food growing I learned from them, as most of it ports over pretty well. The only difference is that since I'm not growing a cash crop it's not as cost effective to do some of the crazier shit sometimes like C02 foggers and shit like that. But for the most part what works with bud works with food.

As far as aeration is concerned though it is the same whether you are growing cannabis or tomatoes.

Also the manufacturer who produces the FizzyFarm sells a lot of these to dudes growing cannabis so I wouldn't worry about it, the principles are the same regardless of what you are growing.

EDIT: Here is a guy on this very forum with several hundred posts who swears by venturi, so clearly it works with cannabis.

Well on a side note, in my system (10 gal cooler) I had two airstones and a small 192gph venturi. The other day I decided to do a test. I just added my first nutrients to the clones and left it alone.

I added about 4ml of veg nutes and 5 ml of a base. (Macro nutes)

I believe the water was at about 70F

The next evening it was in the 80s. Normally I would panic about this but the venturi was making my water have these tiny bubbles constantly swirling around. Well I opened up the Rez and too my surprise there was cloudy water
:(

I've since bleached EVERYTHING, and found out something about one of my clones.. It turned out I had some less than ideal roots from the transplant from soil.

I filled up my spray bottle with a high concentration of h202 and water an sprayed the hell out of the clone. I started to see the unhealthy matter fizzed up and die. That location started to get whiter as well....

So all in all I think I just had bacteria in my root system and it happened to get ahold in my high temp water. I'm sure that was the reason. I have peroxide in my water now with minor nutes. Gonna see what ends up happening but I'm just gonna put water bottles in when it gets around 70f. If you have nothing alive and your res is oxygenated it shouldn't have any problems.

Maybe I should get a stronger venturi.

Well on a side note, in my system (10 gal cooler) I had two airstones and a small 192gph venturi. The other day I decided to do a test. I just added my first nutrients to the clones and left it alone.

I added about 4ml of veg nutes and 5 ml of a base. (Macro nutes)

I believe the water was at about 70F

The next evening it was in the 80s. Normally I would panic about this but the venturi was making my water have these tiny bubbles constantly swirling around. Well I opened up the Rez and too my surprise there was cloudy water
:(

I've since bleached EVERYTHING, and found out something about one of my clones.. It turned out I had some less than ideal roots from the transplant from soil.

I filled up my spray bottle with a high concentration of h202 and water an sprayed the hell out of the clone. I started to see the unhealthy matter fizzed up and die. That location started to get whiter as well....

So all in all I think I just had bacteria in my root system and it happened to get ahold in my high temp water. I'm sure that was the reason. I have peroxide in my water now with minor nutes. Gonna see what ends up happening but I'm just gonna put water bottles in when it gets around 70f. If you have nothing alive and your res is oxygenated it shouldn't have any problems.

Maybe I should get a stronger venturi.

When you say put water bottles(frozen right)? How many and how long would you leave them?

Somewhere

Those pictured in OP's video were grown in the high 80's, with temps sometimes rising to 90 or above but only for maybe 6 hours at a time during the day. The guy who makes this particular unit routinely grows tomatoes in those temps (Florida, where it's always hot and humid), with the only issue being of course ripening the fruit as they love heat but don't like to ripen as fast at such high temps.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that by herbs you probably meant cannabis. I personally do not grow cannabis and only grow food so I can't comment on it. Sorry if that is off topic for this forum. I have no idea how well cannabis would grow in those temps and probably wouldn't recommend it.

Thats what I was thinking

When you say put water bottles(frozen right)? How many and how long would you leave them?

Somewhere

Right now I have some clones in a 5 gal cooler and I use one or two little water bottles. Like drinkin water bottles, of course frozen solid. And that usually brings my temp down 8 or so degrees. I try to maintain 60-68. But with my 10 gal cooler one two liter soda container filled 3/4th the way with water will absolutely bring temps down for a whole day. Then I just throw another bottle in there at the end of the day.

It's really hot this week.... 113F over here. It's so hot I just have my windows closed and I just recirculate the 90f in my grow room. .. Yikes. The water goes up faster now. But as long as it doesn't sit in the 75-80 range for too long it should fuck up your water source. It can get hot. Just now too long.

It's really hot this week.... 113F over here.

Where are you located if you don't mind my asking? In the Bay Area it was 113 yesterday too, absolutely unprecedented temps around here as of late makes it nearly impossible to grow anything outdoors right now :(.

Water bottles have always worked great for me too. Eventually I switched over to those blue ice pack looking things that come in large rectangles, they seem to last longer because they use some lquid other than water and are self contained, may want to look into those as I found them really helpful. Water does the trick too though but it seems to somehow melt faster than whatever comes in these packs. I had this problem where I would put water bottles in before leaving for work, but they would melt by lunchtime and I couldn't come replace them till I was off at 5pm.

Where are you located if you don't mind my asking? In the Bay Area it was 113 yesterday too, absolutely unprecedented temps around here as of late makes it nearly impossible to grow anything outdoors right now :(.

Water bottles have always worked great for me too. Eventually I switched over to those blue ice pack looking things that come in large rectangles, they seem to last longer because they use some lquid other than water and are self contained, may want to look into those as I found them really helpful. Water does the trick too though but it seems to somehow melt faster than whatever comes in these packs. I had this problem where I would put water bottles in before leaving for work, but they would melt by lunchtime and I couldn't come replace them till I was off at 5pm.

I can't stand the damn water bottles, it was way worse when I used a tote but now I have a cooler so one big two liter usually does the trick..

Located in the Bay Area,, fairfield actually. I'm always going to the clubs in vallejo ha. Yeah dude I totally feel you on this weather. I have a back room where I have a closet with my system. It's so god damn hot in there. The humidity as well is high. Even at night I still can't vent outside because of the heat. I'm sure there's products that retain cold energy better than water. Something I'll look into soon. Gonna buy a marine cooler soon as well. It's way more insulated than my old cooler. A 60qt marine cooler can be bought at walmart.

Are you having temp issues? Oh btw I've been meaning to ask you what is the rating on that pump fizzy farm gave you? Are your plants suffering?

I can't stand the damn water bottles, it was way worse when I used a tote but now I have a cooler so one big two liter usually does the trick..

Located in the Bay Area,, fairfield actually. I'm always going to the clubs in vallejo ha. Yeah dude I totally feel you on this weather. I have a back room where I have a closet with my system. It's so god damn hot in there. The humidity as well is high. Even at night I still can't vent outside because of the heat. I'm sure there's products that retain cold energy better than water. Something I'll look into soon. Gonna buy a marine cooler soon as well. It's way more insulated than my old cooler. A 60qt marine cooler can be bought at walmart.

Are you having temp issues? Oh btw I've been meaning to ask you what is the rating on that pump fizzy farm gave you? Are your plants suffering?

On my outdoor grows I have to use a chiller, as there is nothing else that can mitigate the temps I see where I'm at (currently in Pleasanton in the East Bay). I hated having to spend that much ($300) but I knew it was the only way, I have a 55 gallon reservoir out here PAINTED FUCKING BLACK so no amount of 2 liters could cool it, and trust me I tried.

When you say the rating on the venturi pump, what are you referring too, how many GPH it runs? It's 315 GPH. The reason why I liked the fizzy farms ventui was because I had used venturi pumps before, but getting the GPH right was hard for me as if you use one that is rated too high, it heats up the water like a bitch. This is why I can't use venturi for my 55 gallon rez.

The one they use in their system is the perfect size for a ~10 gallon reservoir, it accomplishes the task without being loud and without heating the nutrient solution. Full disclosure, I now know the manufacturer of the Fizzy Farm as I have been using his products for a while, but I maintain that if anyone wants to buy their own venturi pump they should buy one that is exactly to the specification he used on his system, he even sells them separately HERE for like $40. I played around with a few different brands/ratings prior to meeting this guy and honestly for a 10 gallon rez this one works the best.

"So all in all I think I just had bacteria in my root system and it happened to get ahold in my high temp water."

Yep that's what happened. Higher res temps make the BOD (biological oxygen demand) go up because the
biologics love the warm water and multiply. The increased oxygen demand is the reason it takes more
agitation to achieve saturation.

A good air pump and stone will provide more than enough agitation without the added heat.

I hear that, I've since taken out the venturi because my roots are so small right now. I once did a 3 gallon dwc with a single air stone and it never ever needed ice bottles. I think it has to do with the fact that 3 gallons is alot easier to aerate than say 5 or 10. Aeration is the key and I have about 14L/min in my 5 gallon cooler. With two air stones. It's day two and the water is still clear and fresh smelling. :D

The hydrogen peroxide fixed the problem. And finally my PH Down Dry is arriving in the mail today. I got sick of the liquid ph down not lasting so I bought two pounds of dry ph down for a steal. $13

A few bad roots can fuck up your whole nutrient environment. As soon as that temp hovers around 73 for a good while.

On my outdoor grows I have to use a chiller, as there is nothing else that can mitigate the temps I see where I'm at (currently in Pleasanton in the East Bay). I hated having to spend that much ($300) but I knew it was the only way, I have a 55 gallon reservoir out here PAINTED FUCKING BLACK so no amount of 2 liters could cool it, and trust me I tried.

When you say the rating on the venturi pump, what are you referring too, how many GPH it runs? It's 315 GPH. The reason why I liked the fizzy farms ventui was because I had used venturi pumps before, but getting the GPH right was hard for me as if you use one that is rated too high, it heats up the water like a bitch. This is why I can't use venturi for my 55 gallon rez.

The one they use in their system is the perfect size for a ~10 gallon reservoir, it accomplishes the task without being loud and without heating the nutrient solution. Full disclosure, I now know the manufacturer of the Fizzy Farm as I have been using his products for a while, but I maintain that if anyone wants to buy their own venturi pump they should buy one that is exactly to the specification he used on his system, he even sells them separately HERE for like $40. I played around with a few different brands/ratings prior to meeting this guy and honestly for a 10 gallon rez this one works the best.

OutdoorHydro,

I'm not sure but in the ad that reservoir is apparently 6 gallons? I'm sure It could be more but if you have a shallow water culture and a good enough Venturi the affect should be similar to fizzy farms product. If the water is shallow the water will be vastly more activate and oxygenated. It will always splash everything and everything above it. Providing your roots with humidity and moisture constantly. I think this is the secret to the simple unit is its flat wide base for circulating.

I can get a 420GPH pump for $22 right now. A steal IMO. But I think venturis are only really beneficial in a wide reservoir. The temps are gonna be coming down later this week so hopefully you can turn of your chiller for a few days and save some $$. Those things have huge wattage inputs...

Dwc is 1 of the best was to grow. It is difficult though and that it is reccomended. That temp be between 60 and 70 over 75 and your asking for trouble pythium , root rot

I thought venturi was a "miracle" but it has it's certain uses. A 5-10g Resevoir is just fine with air stones. I'm battling cloudy water issues as we speak, just wish my plant would be big enough to put the res in shade so the water and temp wont swing so fast..

Try putting the dwc tub in a 35qrt container ther about 7 , 8 " tall add some water and.frozen water Bottles to cool

Back
Top Bottom