A better heat sink the key to more powerful led panels

wheat berry

Assuming the heat sink design is the limiting factor for a matrix of LEDs means you can only dissipate so many watts of heat per square inch of heat sink.
Earlier in this posts I mentioned that 3 watt LEDs create more heat because they are less efficient than 1 watt LEDs. And since 1 watt LEDs are about 33% more efficient than 3 watt LEDs you can mount more 1 watt LEDs per square inch than 3 watt LEDs for a given heat sink. And the higher density 1 watt LED mounting translates into stronger light density per sq inch from the plant light!

The 1w Diodes Still Have Their Place

We just learned that the high-output 3w diodes have more penetrating power. This is really important when dealing with taller plants (over three feet tall). However, for shorter grows, a 1w diode grow light will do just fine. In fact, in some cases it may be preferable.

As is usually the case in real life, there is no clear winner. 1-watt diodes are more efficient and 3-watt diodes penetrate deeper (don’t touch 3 watt 3-chip diodes).

If you want to play it safe go with a light made up of 3-watt diodes. Your plant will thank you for it.

if the heat sink is a limiting factor why not build a water cooled heat sink,even running water through at room temps still should remove a lot of heat. at room temp there should not be any condensation to cause a problem. a company should be able to build a heat sink that could run cold water through.

anyways a better heat sink could lead to a better light. any light makers have any thoughts on this?

sure would increase the lifetime of the led lights and i can't believe it would add much to the production cost. i,ve though of retro fitting a copper coil through a heat sink run at room temp by gravity[ 2 res system ] or a pump a large res of cooling water and i wouldn't need a chiller i'm thinking.

First, 1 watt diodes are not 33% more efficient than 3 watt diodes. Second, heat sink is not the limiting factor. Third, There is no place for 1 watt diodes unless you are simply trying to save on production and electric cost at the cost of the plant.

Mounting 1 watt LEDs closer together (close enough to give offset the power difference) will increase the heat more than the light and heat output of the 3 watt diode. That article is not really worth the read. It hardly covers the basics and has some facts skewed. A water cooled system requires maintenance and the production cost increases greatly. Both are things that the end user does not want. Using a water cooled system would also require a solid copper core heat sink and water block. The milling of the copper water block then everything to make the system water tight as well as increased shipping cost... it has to be handled differently if a slight damage causes water to be added to an electrical system.

Back
Top Bottom