A Cheap Solution To Ventilation In A Closet

Urdedpal

Was it the title that got ur attention or just the word cheap? lol
Lot of people posthreads about how to ventilate a closet without cutting holes in the drywall. I one time posted the answer but did not know a easy solution at the time.
Problem with small spaces is that they get hot when using lights and air becomes stagnant because very little new air is getting in.
First thing people want to do is put a fan in the closet but all that does is circulate the hot air evenly across the closet. This is good but the heat and air is being exchanged way to slow still. You need to move the air out of the closet and bring in fresh air from the room the closet is in.

Now here's the solution. You take a plastic sheet like from one of those cheap notebooks you can get at Walmart. You fold it around into a funnel shape. The end should measure just under 4 inches and the other end should measure six to eight inches. Now you tape it up with ducktape or whatever tape you prefer.Now you need some 4 inch dryer hose. You can easily get this at Walmart, Home depot or Lowes.
Probally best to got to home depot or lowes because you are going to need a fan. Pick up a bathroom vent fan and a lamp cord to conect to the vent fan.
Vent fans can range in the price of 12 bucks to over 80 so shop wisly and buy cheap. If you have the extra cash it might be best to go with a squirrel cage fan you can get online at a hydro shop.
You set the fan up high next to your light and connect the dryer hose the the fan. Next you connect your cone to the othe side of the dryer hose. (use tape)
Now all you have to do is plug in the fan, mash your cone down and place under the door when you close it. Now you are sucking the hot air out of your closet while supplying air from the coolest part of the room.

i want to put to fans in the room one to take the hot air out and one to putfresh air in .i was thinking of running some duct from a small window i have for fresh air and on the bottom of my closet run a vent to tkae the air out....will it be too cold to take the air and send it to my room or should i just take air form my bedroom .is that enough fresh air ?i need to know more or less the best size you can suggest for my fans in cfm's.my dimensions are 2by2by6.i was close to buying to squirells i found on ebay for 40 bucks a puiece.180cfm's...

how about just blowing fresh air in? my small grow canet has a fan to blow in from the back, and deffinatly keeps it fresh in there and a good temp, i also have the door open in the day sometimes as, i read spending time with your plants is good(and there in my living room), the cabnet isnt completely sealed and there is about 2 1/2 feet above the ligths that i can move them up on pegs. so the heat has other places to go when the fan blows in.(I cover up the front of the box in the night fase so no light will make it in the cracks of the cabnet, fan can still blow fresh air in i made a duct from tinfoil)

bite the bullet and cut a hole in your ceiling use an exauhst fan and suck it straight up in your roof, when you move just fix the hole its not that hard or expencive, I could cut and fix the hole cheapper than a $12 fan and dryer hose which is about $10 - $20 depending on length, If you have a stove hood or bathroom fan that you dont ever use, take the cover off it and you will see they are both very easy to take out and put back when you move or finish growwing, most off the time if you take the covers off those 2 things the fan will have a short cord with a plug on the end off it allwready the worst you might need is to extend the wire or use an extention cord. Both those fans are all wready set up for exhaust and work great. At the end all you have to pay for is some mud for the ceiling which is 2-3 dollers and it doesnt matter if its not 100% because its in the ceiling off your cupboad were nobody should see. When i say doesnt need to be 100% don,t do a shit job either that apartment belongs to someone. Good luck with it all

Urdedpal,
I was thinking about using this idea, but I need some advice.
I want to try a first time cabnet grow, I live in central florida, and its coming up on winter time. Wold it be better to blow cool air from my room IN under the door, or out from inside the closet? keeping in mind it will be pretty cool in my room. will have a couple CFLs on for veg, and will get a 400w HPS for bloom time.
Also, how much will the HPS heat up the closet, and should I blow air over it?

EDIT: only 1-3 plants about 2'x3'x5'

Thanks
JD

hes right if your only using cfl,s then the heat shouldnt be bad though. Its really up to you but just try to keep the temp at a resenable level, you will be able to tell which way is better due to knowing the temp in your room. I can tell you the temp in my closet and my room are very diffrent because im growing in there but im using 400 watt so its alot hotter than cfl,s .
The other thing is when they get bigger you still have to suck the air somewere as it is going to smell and even if you blew air in there all day and night if it cant excape it will just get hot and stale, stale air isnt good for anything.
I would go with sucking the air out to start with and after 3 or 4 days you will know weather you need to blow air in aswell.
when you get her started put pics up.
Last night i was at walgreens and they are having a sale on cfl,s down from $12 each to $10 for 2 its a good price but finishes tonight at 12

Good post urdedpal, and thanks Azaiden, Im liking this site, Im going to start a new thred for some advice, feel free to chime in guys..

yeah sounds like an idea wish i could see a pic to understand how to do it better i need ventilation in my closet bad it would be the best closet grow space only time it gets really cool is during the night now that winters almost here prolly better for the purple strains sucking air out is definately better than circulating hot air

I have one that is on my room but i havnt attached it yet its just sitting there so i can take a pic and either try to post it , because i seem to have probs doing that or email it to you or Urdedpal if he wants to try post it. I just have to wait till morning because me wife is asleep and he who wakes the beast never lives to take the photo

I have pics off the fan and filter box but im not doing any good with the uploading so if anyone wants i can just email them to them and they can post the pics for me.

hey all!!

ok i want to sneak in a question since this thread is in the same area of discussion: in referance to the batting that goes around the carbon scrubber of a closet or scrubber period, is the batting really necessary if the actual scrubber is inside the closet already? would it serve the same purpose if it was covering the outside of the intake vent(s)?

Back
Top Bottom