A continuation of the defoliation conversation

Stilletto

Hello again friends!

This is a continuation of a previous thread that was running on the subject of defoliation. The thread is linked below...

Trimming before flowering?

I want to start by saying that the previous thread really bothered me, I have not posted since then cause I felt that there was alot of negativity around some of my posts and I want to try to set that straight before I go on.
First off, I was the agressor in a couple of the comments I made, I have re-read my posts many times and although I meant no offence I did come off as a prick in a few of my statements and did have kind of a 'I am right/you are wrong' attitude. I want to apologize for that. I really like this forum and the knowledgable people on it, some of which I offended. I, like many of you, spend alot of time here and enjoy the company of other people who partake in this hobby. I do not want a bad rep on these forums as I believe I have, and can continue to be a possitive contributor to the hobby. I apologize to any I offended and will try to not come off as such a jerk sometimes. :)

All of that said, let's get to the reason for this thread.... defoliation!

As I stated in the last thread... I have decided to run a side by side comparison for a couple rounds to see if defoliation will help me get larger yeilds. The first results are complete and the second set is already in flower.
For those of you who want to know more about my set up just click on my journal in my sig, I have been running the same system for many years and aside from small tweeking, it is the same as shown in my journals. The biggest difference is that in order to do a fair comparison I only ran 2 plants for this experiment so that each plat would get it's own 400 watt light. The same is currently under way with the next experimetal batch.

First of all, before I began (durring the last thread) I read as much as I could. I read every post of every journal, that I could find in reguards to defoliation. I mainly followed Bassmans technique but took advice from 420fieds and Cultivators journals. There were too many knowledgable poeople to mention but I read as many as I could.

Even before starting I had alredy began to accept some of the obvious benefits to this technique but I had to try it for myself in order to be comfortable in using it. Before even posting the results I will say that I will be continuing to use defoliation in my grows as I saw many benefits and few detriments.

Lets get started with the basics.

The two plants for this grow were Triple X (XXX). I had ran this strain 4 times prior and it is an awsome plant. I normally run 4 plants per cycle under 800 watts (2x400w) ant the strain gave 4.5 oz consistantly in 2.5 gallon pots. This time I used 3 gallon pots and with only 2 plants they each got their own 400w light. I also have a "scrog style" rack that allows me to spread out the plants by tying them to really open up the canopy.

My plants were at almost 3 weeks into 12/12 when I began, I will point out that I normally do a light defoliation an veg so probably 50% of the leaves were removed after the plant was in mature veg and then 2 weeks later they went into flower. (I understand that veg defol was light by comparison to other growers but that was what it was, the next batch has been stripped in veg at the same intervals that most other defoliators use). So when the stretch had stopped I did a heavy strip (Bassman would have been proud :) ) And then also at about the 6 week mark I did another strip. The second (control) plant recieved no special treatment, as always I took a few leaves here and there, basic pruning but not heavy.

Here are some of the things I noticed....
After each strip the plant stopped drinking, it stayed moist for 6 days while the control was dry as always after 3 days. Even after the next watering it was moist for 5 days, after that it went right back to normal. This would only be noticable in a soil/soiless medium not hydro (well you know what I mean).

I did notice that the plant also stunted durring that time and that did seem to shorten the internodes and allowed some of the smaller branches to become stronger. The control plant became much larger than the test plant but after a week it seemed to catch up. I will point out that from that point on the defoliated plant seemed stronger and stockier, while the control plant was taller and lankier.

I saw right away the advantage to opening up the canopy... airflow was way better, the bottom buds developed way better, the stocks were larger and more sturdy, and overall the plant looked "fatter".

The control plant had fluffier bottom buds where as the test plant had nice solid buds right to the bottom of the plant, this was noticable when trimming.

Both plants were ran for 9 weeks and I accually didn't see any difference in maturity in the end, trichs were about the same as were the hairs etc.

Now for the results: I knew that the extra soil and light (2 plants vs 4) would increase the yeild from previous runs, but I refrained from changing anything else so as to not skew the test too much.

Plant #1- defoliated, final dry wieght 6.2 oz (171g)
Plant #2 - control, final dry weight 6.1 oz (169g)

Here is my conclution: Although I didn't see any increase in overall yeild I am going to continue with defoliation, probably not as heavy but it is clear now that it does not negatively affect yeild and the pros outweigh the cons.

I will point out that this is a 1-1 plant comparison and does not mean that I am right or wrong or that others might be right or wrong, these are just the results of one test and should be taken as such.
I have the second test running now, I stripped it durring veg and again the other day as they finished their stretch. I am finding it difficult to NOT strip the control plant this time... lol... but I want to run it side by side one more time just to confirm my results.

That is all for now, I will admit that the results were not what I expected but I will now gladly call myself a "defoliator" because it has shown to have some great advantages and no didadvantages that I could see.

I want to thank all of you that helped me see the light, I love the hobby and love to gain knowledge, it was important for me to do this experament as I was being stubborn and made myself look like an ass. Those who think they know it all have given up the ability to learn anything new. :)

Jonny

Big of u. Nice when your own weeds taste heavenbaked isn't it? Lol

Big fan of defoliation as well. I don't go all out like most personally but I also don't want my yields any larger lol. I hate trimming and get plenty as it is.

"True knowledge isn't flaunting what you know, its knowing what you don't know"

The newwst test plant was stripped today! Now the other one looks bushy lol.... but for the sake of comparison I just lightly trimmed it up.
I Burned out one of my 400w HPS mag ballasts the other day opened the room and the bulb was very weak! I feared the worst but took it to my hydro store and they diagnosed it and replaced the faulty capacitor on the spot. Fantastic store. That ballast was 4 years old when I got it and it has ran 12 hours a day for 8 years and this was the first problem. I hope I get another 12 years from it. LOL

Thx for the comments.... I will keep ya posted. :)

Jonny

Hi, My names Smoke2Js, (pause, room says hello)and I defoliate. Yes I am a defoliator , it all started when I was studying horticulture in high school and my teacher encouraged me to trim some healthy leaves, "for the betterment of the whole "she said. Before i knew it i was cutting off entire branches to "better my skills". She lauded my defoliation and landscaping skills, giving me a green ribbon upon graduation. Now ,when I see a bush or a tree, I, I have to resist the urge. That's why I come to these meetings of DA, I got my green book and, um wait, is that too surreal? :popcorn:

Hi, My names Smoke2Js, (pause, room says hello)and I defoliate. Yes I am a defoliator , it all started when I was studying horticulture in high school and my teacher encouraged me to trim some healthy leaves, "for the betterment of the whole "she said. Before i knew it i was cutting off entire branches to "better my skills". She lauded my defoliation and landscaping skills, giving me a green ribbon upon graduation. Now ,when I see a bush or a tree, I, I have to resist the urge. That's why I come to these meetings of DA, I got my green book and, um wait, is that too surreal? :popcorn:

lmfao probably the funniest thing ive read in years. just what ever u do; refrain from relapsing on defoliating city trees and bushes. if u ever get the urge repeat the serenity prayer 3x, walk away and light a J.

I am interested in starting to defoliate my two plants that are about 16" tall in veg. I have read alot of articles but can't find any type of video or guide on exactly how to defoliate. Does anyone have any youtube videos that I can see that explain step by step how to actually remove leaves? I've never done it before and want to make sure I am doing it properly.

I am interested in starting to defoliate my two plants that are about 16" tall in veg. I have read alot of articles but can't find any type of video or guide on exactly how to defoliate. Does anyone have any youtube videos that I can see that explain step by step how to actually remove leaves? I've never done it before and want to make sure I am doing it properly.

You want to try and remove the larger leaves that block the lower branches to get better light penetreation.
In veg it's safe to say that no harm will be done really just might slow them down some but encourage a more robust
Plant. In flower you need to be a little more cautious what you trim away.

When defoliating I never take more than 25 % of leaf off. I also like to water with some b-vitamins and a half strength feed a day or so
Before cleaning them up.

If you can post a picture we could better help you.

I understand the concept of why you are defoliating. I am just unsure how to actually remove the leaves. Do you cut or pluck and where do you cut the leaf off? Is it where the leaf meets the stem? or in another location?I couldn't find any tutorials.

I understand the concept of why you are defoliating. I am just unsure how to actually remove the leaves. Do you cut or pluck and where do you cut the leaf off? Is it where the leaf meets the stem? or in another location?I couldn't find any tutorials.

Cut as close as you can to the stem. Try not to pluck them make the cut clean with a clean pair of clippers.

Wear gloves, in fact you should always try to wear gloves when handling your plants. Clean and Green. On to the actual defoliation talk. One thing to keep in mind after pruning leaves is, that the little stub of a stem left there is slowly drying out. If temperature and humidity are right, it will rot and grow mold. So keep an eye on the spots you prune. In a few days, gently wiggle the shriveled stub, if it is ready to come off, it will do so easily, DO NOT FORCE IT!. While waiting for it to be ready, treat the stubs with appropriate fungicide to prevent an out break. :peace:

Well hello again guys!
I am happy to say that the next harvest is in allthough the results are less than ideal.

For this round the strain was Strawberry Cough. I have ran this strain 5 previous times, it was a consistant producer with yeilds averaging 4.5 oz per plant. I had used a bit more soil this time (3 gal), and as always the clones were equal in size and maturity. The veg period was 6 weeks and had been topped twice. The defoliated plant was stripped in veg and given time to recover, it was then stripped again after the bloom stretch. Each plant had it's own 400w light and recieved the same nutes.
At harvest time (8 1/2 weeks) both plants were equal in maturity and the trichs were the same overall.
The final total is:
Defoliated plant 3 3/4 oz....... non defoliated plant 4 3/4 oz. 1 oz less for the defoliated plant. I was a little disappointed.

I understand that each strain will react different as i saw zero differences in the Triple X.

I will not offer any opinions on these results, other than I still think that opening the plant up and removing some fan leaves is beneficial in more ways than not. I wanted to post this mainly to give some side by side data for people who are considering this technique. I hope it is helpful to some.

The next round is in bloom now but I will not be doing anymore heavy defoliation but I learned enough from these tests that I know some good pruning will always help.

If you all have any questions feel free. :)

Jonny
The

Defoliation has made geat improvements in lower node development, increased potency, & color. My pre-98 Babba K will stay green & larfy on lower nodes without. Now my plants ripen evenly with pretty cotton candy coloring throughout the plant. If possible look from the top down and see which primary nodes are light deprived and remove the NECESSARY leaves. This can and prob will shock the plant from 5 to 10 days, so be selective to minimize overall stress + push some b vits the week leading up to promote recovery. I leave a little bit of the stem to prevent any possible infection/disease making its way into the primary branch, but as above monitor these areas for anything abnormal (mold, disease, pest congregation, etc.). I am not a pro but have had this plant for 4 yrs and it is a must! GL, happy harvests!!

Odie

I am going to try a different technique of defoliation. More like pruning, by just removing a portion of the leaf blades blocking the light. I will also only remove up to the current number of newly forming leaves(its a low number compared to number of total leaves). I am hoping this will allow the plant to grow new leaves faster and go through less shock in the process. I'll have pictures next month. My Super Lemon Haze mom needs a trim and a transplant.:tokin:

you can cut at the base of the fan leafs stem, but it takes more time to heal. Most articles I've read recommend pinching using your thumbs nail and pad of pointer finger to pinch the fan leaf off. By doing this your essentially crushing the plants cells which closes the wound better to promote faster healing. I tried cutting, clipping, and pinching and honestly have seen no difference between any method. I say whichever method floats your boat :)

Back
Top Bottom