A critical look at preharvest flushing

I'm more a fan of giving the plants what they actually seem to need (and being conscious of the fact that this need changes over time), so please don't take this as an argument for "flushing," lol - but:

How, then, do you explain things like nutrient toxicities and nutrient-burnt tips?

I have also had the misfortune of once buying bud that almost seemed fireproof, lol. Aside from the whole "nasty taste" issue, it was like trying to keep a rock burning (and I think I saw sparkling a time or two). It wasn't because it was wet, either; this stuff was dry.
I'm all organic and I still have yellow tips that's not burn, it's just a little too much nitrogen. My plants recover quite well...Most "nute" burn I've seen is from some one using chemical nutrients. I had them when I started cuz I used Miracle Grow and their nutrient line ( yeah I know:rolleyes:) but using all organic my girls get fed from start to harvest, and I don't think you're arguing I always love a good debate :cool:

I have also tried both flushing and non flushing and there are 2 things that I have come to the conclusion is the harshness from the unflushed bud even after a cure. Also the other thing I get is the cured unflushed bud refuses to burn properly. Back in the day you would buy herb and every once in a while joints would just not stay lit ! no matter how dry the weed would be , we all made the deduction that the herb had to much fert left in it, as the same happens today when i dont flush , the herb burns different if at all

I'm all organic and I still have yellow tips that's not burn, it's just a little too much nitrogen.

Err... the coin in my pocket isn't a penny, it's just a one-cent piece :rolleyes: .

Just a couple of thoughts on why I started flushing....

Yes I understand the science of not flushing, but heres why people do....

SmartSelect_20181226-070428_Instagram.jpg
SmartSelect_20181226-070454_Instagram.jpg

Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas

Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments

Section 6.2 in a nutshell
"The practice of flushing is a current common industry practice but there is no evidence in published literature of its effectiveness in reducing nutrient concentrations within the bud or even whether or not this is a desirable result. After testing the nutrient concentrations from each treatment from three separate experiments, there were no significant differences in nutrient levels between any treatments within each experiment. This result showed that the intended purpose of flushing to reduce nutrient concentrations within the bud has no effect. These data show that for the last two weeks of the flower cycle for cannabis, it was possible to use no fertilizer water for irrigation with no significant impact on yield while saving input costs on fertilizer."

Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments

"The practice of flushing is a current common industry practice but there is no evidence in published literature of its effectiveness in reducing nutrient concentrations within the bud or even whether or not this is a desirable result. After testing the nutrient concentrations from each treatment from three separate experiments, there were no significant differences in nutrient levels between any treatments within each experiment. This result showed that the intended purpose of flushing to reduce nutrient concentrations within the bud has no effect. These data show that for the last two weeks of the flower cycle for cannabis, it was possible to use no fertilizer water for irrigation with no significant impact on yield while saving input costs on fertilizer."
"flush to save money on nutrients" basically , is the result. I have , like others, tried so many different approaches to harvesting/drying/curing and without doubt , have also been guilty of following the herd.
Less nutes as part of the cycles needs towards harvest, 36 hours darkness ( pre harvest)
remove plant with as little damage as possible to her roots , hang complete with no chops or trims to her beautiful , delicate body , Ideally hang upright ( if space possible) , ensure fresh airflow ( not direct fan) passes them , allow to dry to " snap" stems dryness , close manicure and removal of thicker sugar leaves poking out (for hash) , jars for storage ( further curing if desired for better potency ,through fermentation process-NOT DRYING!!!) as cure is not needed due to all the above ( if patient enough !).
Result is amazing tasting weed that smells as it says on the tin. took a while to get here and see the results myself by trying them but i swear by this process now.
peace and blessings.

I grow using recirculating hydroponics. I have been internally debating flushing for years. I have tried it in the past and didn’t notice much difference except the sugar leaves were a bit lighter in colour at harvest. No real way to tell if THC levels were effected unless you do a side by side comparison. I’m at that point again in my grow. I have restricted N for the last few weeks, with high K/P levels, and am seeing deficiencies on the fan leaves as expected.

I checked out the feed schedules listed on General Hyroponics website to see what they said. I have had an issue with nutrient suppliers for years, since they recommend way too much of their product, in order to sell more. To my surprise even they recommend a reduced N regime toward the end and a week or two flush. They do want you to use their K/P add-on and flush additive, but the that is just fluff.

I guess I will go with pH 5.5-6.0 water for the next week to ten days. My plants are about a meter high and haven’t been majorly defoliated so they do have a good reservoir of leaves to cannibalize for some nutrients.

This necro thread won’t go away

I have smoked hydro and coco, both flushed 3 WEEKS with 0.3 Calcium and ph set. Best smooth tasting smoke I've ever had.

I've also smoked outdoor which was chopped early do to rain so it had been flushed for a week. That was okay it wasn't mega harsh or tasting bad but I could feel heat going out of my nose.

With properly flushed smoke I feel it cooler and I cough less.

Also I've tried lemon haze which was grew fully with Advanced Nutrients and the correct schedule for each growth phase. It was flushed for either a week or two and the final flush was used.
That was an awesome smoke! It was clean and produced a nice high.

I guess what I'm getting at is when you're a good grower you are going to produce good smoke. The flush just makes the taste better.

I have smoked hydro and coco, both flushed 3 WEEKS with 0.3 Calcium and ph set. Best smooth tasting smoke I've ever had.

I've also smoked outdoor which was chopped early do to rain so it had been flushed for a week. That was okay it wasn't mega harsh or tasting bad but I could feel heat going out of my nose.

With properly flushed smoke I feel it cooler and I cough less.

Also I've tried lemon haze which was grew fully with Advanced Nutrients and the correct schedule for each growth phase. It was flushed for either a week or two and the final flush was used.
That was an awesome smoke! It was clean and produced a nice high.

I guess what I'm getting at is when you're a good grower you are going to produce good smoke. The flush just makes the taste better.

This is the exact bro science that's been busted. Flushing doesn't do squat for reducing nutes in the bud man. The cute is EVERYTHING

This is the exact bro science that's been busted. Flushing doesn't do squat for reducing nutes in the bud man. The cute is EVERYTHING

I've tried the same cuttings which only had a different flush and the taste was much better flushed.

The plants already have all the nutrients they need at the end of their life. So flushing removes what's been accumulating in the medium.

I've left some buds on an exterior plant that I couldn't be bothered to chop. 10 days after main harvest I cut them down and just left them drying because I wasn't very interested.

Well they were more potent because the tricomes were more developed and it tasted cleaner because it only had water and cal for longer.

Test the runoff E.C. I wouldn't measure a plant for toxicity problems like this but every time you flush a large amount of ph'd water through the pot the runoff reading goes lower.

Try a harvest so that the ec runoff at the very end is 0.2 - 0.3 and it's had 14-21 days flushing.

I've tried the same cuttings which only had a different flush and the taste was much better flushed.

The plants already have all the nutrients they need at the end of their life. So flushing removes what's been accumulating in the medium.

I've left some buds on an exterior plant that I couldn't be bothered to chop. 10 days after main harvest I cut them down and just left them drying because I wasn't very interested.

Well they were more potent because the tricomes were more developed and it tasted cleaner because it only had water and cal for longer.

Test the runoff E.C. I wouldn't measure a plant for toxicity problems like this but every time you flush a large amount of ph'd water through the pot the runoff reading goes lower.

Try a harvest so that the ec runoff at the very end is 0.2 - 0.3 and it's had 14-21 days flushing.

Science, it's called science and it's been done

I have seen you copy this same message into posts 4 or 5 times now and I am starting to suspect that you are a bot. It certainly would be nice if you could come up with some original thoughts on this subject.

Some websites/scientists also says colloidal silver has no known benefit.
Other chemists have proven that is does.

I go from my experience, and a skilled commerical grower once taught me about flushing WITH calcium, 0.3 ec and ph the water.

Yes it needs to be cured right, but the ultimate test is what people prefer. If everyone wants to smoke the flushed one then you have your answer.

Some websites/scientists also says colloidal silver has no known benefit.
Other chemists have proven that is does.

I go from my experience, and a skilled commerical grower once taught me about flushing WITH calcium, 0.3 ec and ph the water.

Yes it needs to be cured right, but the ultimate test is what people prefer. If everyone wants to smoke the flushed one then you have your answer.

People think the earth is flat until science proved it wrong. I guess you still run into those that do not want to believe in science.

People think the earth is flat until science proved it wrong. I guess you still run into those that do not want to believe in science.

You say believe in science like it's a gospel, yes science is also a religion!

I'm telling you that if you have commercial sucess, and everyone wants your weed over what's available in that moment...

The results speak for themselves!!! I don't need anyone to tell me 'science says this' when I clearly see and taste the difference.

Is your weed is sitting on a shelf for months until a dry time... or does it fly off the shelf?

That my friend is called experience, and experience will make you into a master.

I'm no master by any means, but I listen when one speaks.

Well, no, it isn't.

True science is learning about nature through experience, and understanding.

Modern science is more like a cult, if it doesn't fit in with the program then it gets censored.

Look I've heard in research studies from a scientist, that said each study has an agenda, a purpose. Not all controls are always kept and a bug infestation might develop, which affects the results.

Just look at round up studies which say it's probably safe....

I have no problem with people doing honest science, but when you get loads of people who run around quoting other people...

To believe in something is the polar opposite of knowing something.

If you know, you know. And if you don't know, you believe.

Hell I didn't know much about electrolysis when I began, but I believed in it because it was helping me. Over time I studied and began to understand.

You could say science is the sysnthesis of converting belief into knowledge.

I know what you mean with that - but it's sort of like saying your kid is fat because you didn't starve him for the last week, lol, when it'd be more realistic to say that you've just been feeding him way too much for years.

Err... Pretend you have a little lard-ass at home ;) .

Back
Top Bottom