'A Dictionary for Gil'

I nearly sprayed coffee on my monitor when I watched our nation's new head of the White House Office of No Drug Control Policy, Gil Kerlikowske utter these words: (video below)

I wondered if perhaps someone had removed the word from my dictionary!

So, I opened up my Funk & Wagnalls... flipped... through the pages... to... "L." Sure enough, right there on page 772 - "legalize." And in noun form, "legalization." To make legal.

Seeing that my dictionary is F&W's 1968 edition I figured maybe -- like the effort made to eliminate the word hemp from our vocabulary -- somehow they had managed to delete this word as well. So I looked it up online. Yep. Lots of dictionaries online. And I'll wager a 5 spot every one of them has the word legalize (my bet is based on the fact that the 3 I checked all did).

Someone? Anyone? Please, let's pool our resources and get a dictionary for Gil. We have an administration elected on the promise of dealing with issues from a basis of fact and sound science, no matter how uncomfortable the subject. And now we find out the White House doesn't have a dictionary! Well? I'll put in a dollar...

Besides, it's kind of a catchy slogan:

"A Dictionary for Gil"

There is no ducking the question, Gil. There is, certainly, the word "legalize" in everyone else's dictionary. Let us act like grown-ups. OK? The War On Drugs has failed. Obviously. The drug war is a mirror of alcohol's early 20th century prohibition. But it is a failure of far, far nastier proportion.

When you dismissed the question asked by Law Enforcement Against Prohibition's (LEAP) Tom Angell, you dismissed your peers, curtly, if not rudely. If say... oh... Jack Cole or Norm Stamper, Joseph McNamara, perhaps Judge Jim Gray or even former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, had asked that question, would your response have been the same?

I mean really, Mr. Kerlikowske, the argument is easily made that such raw obfuscations and lame deflections only serve to aid those drug policy advocates who claim the whole of the government's policies on drugs is one big lie. Laws written not from fact or science, but from manufactured racist fictions, deserve no place in a society so advanced and enlightened as ours. Laws that are absurd in foundation and destructive in their implementation are foul tools and serve no good purpose.

Your office, Mr. Kerlikowske, does not offer protection from the truth. The assault that the War On Drugs has unleashed upon the citizens of this nation is part of that truth. Maintaining the drug war's lies has cost far too many innocent lives, ended or destroyed the lives of far too many of our police officers.

There is a knocking at your door sir. And whomever it is? ... probably has a dictionary for you.

YouTube - LEAP Stumps the Drug Czar

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Salem-News.com
Author: Allan Erickson
Copyright: 2009 Salem-News.com

while cannabis is not being legalized at least for small amounts, the government is doing a disservice to the sick and elderly who have to continue bearing the stigma of the self-righteous who call everyone who uses this medicine "potheads". not being a user myself i am sober to observe my hubby and friends in their level of intelligence and speed of reaction, and they are doing just fine.
while this herb is still illegal we will have thousands of individuals suffering from the heavy hand of the law. is this how our so-called civilization respects and treats their sick and elderly? ok, the state allows a permit to grow 7 plants with the purchase of a card which costs 250.- for the doctor, and 25.- for the permit. not everyone here can afford this. many patients, including veterans from active duty, are broke and homeless, therefore they remain being "criminals" if they are caught with weed. and while the street value is 400.- oz. due to the risk, these patients pay way more than they should, and many have to choose between medication or rent, food or other essential living expenses. this adds to the homeless problem. not only that, but there is no legal and safe dispensary to buy it from, leaving the patients with the stress having to go to a dealer, further incriminating themselves. it is not legal to take it home on a plane, in a car, or to send it. therefore getting a permit to use this medication comes without the sane and practical way of purchasing it. these people do not only deal with pain and other disabilities, but they have to be "careful" at all times. no wonder most do not have respect and trust for the powers that be. respect goes both ways. and is this what the government really wants? some of these politicians have lots and lots of sinister agenda but no empathy for human beings. i wish them the appropriate KARMA.
for those of you who have access to someone who makes bumperstickers, i hope someone makes one that says: "when will the witch-hunt end? legalize medical marijuana."

Now I know profiling is not right and I know that our governments never ever,ever do it, but if if I was profiling for uptight,racist,freedom hating people I think I would be breaking down Gil's door and holding him for a very long time with no trial.

Back
Top Bottom