A few questions about Plants

CajunCanna

I'm about 12 day's into my grow. Things have been coming along ok, could be better could be worse. I started out with 4 White Widows and 4 freebie seeds that came with my order. Out of the 4 Freebie seeds I only got one that took hold. My 4 White Widows are doing good except for 2 are very small.

As of now I have 5 plants growing and I'm good with that being this is my first grow the next batch will be same type of seeds, no mixing.

Plant's are 12 days in with 24/7 lighting I'm using 2x CFL 250W and 1x 600W MH
Im running an Aeroponic system running 24/7
PPM is at 430 and PH 5.8
Using Blue Planet PartA and PartB
Temp 81 Humidity 32%

Here are my questions.
1. 2 WW are growing nicely but the other 2 are lagging behind. Is this normal? They have the same amount of light and I did everything the same for all seeds.

2. I have read it's good to spray the plants daily which I have been doing. I'm using the same Nutrient water as in the tub for the plants. Should I mix something different in the sprayer? I spray them 4 times a day, is that to much?

3. I'm using a 7" fan not as big as I thought it would be when ordering and it doesn't oscillate which I also though it did. My tent is 4x4x6.5 I can see the leaves on the bigger plants moving a little bit. How much air movement is adequate?

I'm putting up a pic so I can have the professionals look at it. I know must of you guys can look at a plant and see whats up.

Thanks again for all the help and any tips are greatly appreciated..

2 WW that are doing great.
DSC024525.JPG

the other 2 WW that are lagging.
DSC024476.JPG

Hi Cajun canna :ciao:

The Cfl lights should be right down at the plants.

You can turn off the MH for now, if you want to save some electricity

The Cfls at a few inches would be perfect for now.

You are spraying a bit much. at lights off would be fine.

Hi Cajun canna :ciao:

The Cfl lights should be right down at the plants.

You can turn off the MH for now, if you want to save some electricity

The Cfls at a few inches would be perfect for now.

You are spraying a bit much. at lights off would be fine.

Ricorico, thank you a bunch for the info. I don't turn the light's off I keep them on 24/7 which my next grow I will do 18/6. I'll cut the spraying back but being the lights are on 24/7 would once a day be sufficient?

And the MH light, how long should I go without it? Is this based on the size of the plants?

Thanks again for the help

yep cfl's can be closer as close as you could put your hand to the light without being burned is how close you can stick your light
cfl's can get hot especially the bigger ones
I think 18/6 is better but its all a matter of opinion some people swear by 24/7
but I think like people plants need rest unless its a really northern species of marijuana its natural life doesn't see 24 hrs of light
and would be better off with more natural times of light just my opinion
and all plants are different like people all the seeds you get be it the same strain will not all grow the same
its one of the reasons some people grow out a bunch of the same strain at once just to pick out the strong ones either to grow out or to use as mothers.
hes saying you don't need the mh yet because the plants are still so small you can get the cfl's close enough to be sufficient at this time
youll be able to tell when to turn on the mh when you aren't getting light to all the areas you could if all the lights were on

switch your light schedules to 16/8 and watch your beauties grow. they need the dark time to do there thing, to much light is your problem.

yep cfl's can be closer as close as you could put your hand to the light without being burned is how close you can stick your light
cfl's can get hot especially the bigger ones
I think 18/6 is better but its all a matter of opinion some people swear by 24/7
but I think like people plants need rest unless its a really northern species of marijuana its natural life doesn't see 24 hrs of light
and would be better off with more natural times of light just my opinion
and all plants are different like people all the seeds you get be it the same strain will not all grow the same
its one of the reasons some people grow out a bunch of the same strain at once just to pick out the strong ones either to grow out or to use as mothers.
hes saying you don't need the mh yet because the plants are still so small you can get the cfl's close enough to be sufficient at this time
youll be able to tell when to turn on the mh when you aren't getting light to all the areas you could if all the lights were on

Thanks Cronic, I'm using the MH to also help keep heat in my tent. Been pretty cold in my area so keeping the temp above 75 has been a challenge. After this grow I'll be changing things up specially the lighting as you suggested. I'm not sure what would happen if I switched to a 18/6 schedule right now.

I'm also confused and need some incite. I'm running a Aeroponics system. From what I've been reading the roots can not sit in water? Why is that? I ask because there is some water that builds up in the container where the root are. The Nutrient water drains from that container into another container with my pump but there usually is about 2 or 4 inches of water in the container with the planets roots.

For what I've been reading DWC roots are always under water so why is it different for Aeroponics? I know DWC roots are suppose to have the top portion exposed and the bottom parts of the roots are submerged.. I run my sprayers 24/7 from what I've read 24/7 is fine. There is so much info out there that the good info get's scrambled from all the not so good info. Out of all of this this is my biggest concern..

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

So switching light now will not cause any ill effects on the plants?

no it wont if your going from 24/0 to 18/6
dwc has airstones in the water
my bucket has water height that reaches the bottom of the netpot
so theres only so much that's not submerged

no it wont if your going from 24/0 to 18/6
dwc has airstones in the water
my bucket has water height that reaches the bottom of the netpot
so theres only so much that's not submerged

OK then I'll switch the light today.
What do you recommend for my spray? run it for a few min then off? I can't really find anything that says this is the way to do it. Everything I ready is either 24/7 or off and on. I can keep the roots from sitting in water. I made a change to my setup last night, i'll post the pics later today of what I did.. Oh I should add I also have a air pump and 2 bubble stones. I've also read you don't need an air pump with an aeroponics system.. Any thoughts on that?

The reason they say you don't need airstones in a aero system is because the emitters basically aerosolize the water and it is aerated that way. However, having the bubbles stones gives you a great backup system in case your pump gets clogged or what have you, because if you have the air stones, you still have a DWC system going and pythium won't kill you.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm going to start tweaking everything tonight.

One of the reasons I didn't use all my good seeds on my first run was because I knew I would need at least one run under my belt to get everything in proper order.

I have the air stones already in the system, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have.

there's really nothing wrong with all the lights on for veg if you can afford it. some growers veg under 1000w bulbs its kinda how you get lbs.. If your plants or regular and not feminized you could have males and females. they can just be different pheno types. and 250w cfls dont need to be right next to the plant.

So here is what I changed yesterday. I was worried about the roots sitting in water so I have a quick fix. I also decided to change the whole reservoir spray setup to something totally different but wont do that till after this grow is complete. The cheapest thing is the reservoir itself and I love working with my hands so building a new reservoir and spray tub is cool.

Also set the light timer to 18/6 and the sprayer I'll leave on 24/7 being my new configuration of the sprayer tub I no longer have to worry about the roots sitting in water.

I'm posting a pic of the new sprayer setup that I'll use till this grow is complete then I'll do a whole know design of the system,. If anyone see's anything that doesn't look right please chime in.

I put some filter floss at the bottom. I also put some plastic egg create screen at the very bottom of the floss to lift the floss up higher. So as of now nothing can touch any water.

DSC024571.JPG

DSC024582.JPG

And one more shot.

DSC024594.JPG

Here are my ladies at 2 weeks. Sunday made 2 weeks from the day of planting.
I also upped the Nutrients to 530 PPM and next water change will go to 625 PPM.

DSC024614.JPG
DSC024605.JPG
DSC024622.JPG
DSC024634.JPG

might be better to leave the bottom open and just have a couple airstones down there
the roots will grow into that foam looking thing you got down there
may cause you more trouble than its worth

might be better to leave the bottom open and just have a couple airstones down there
the roots will grow into that foam looking thing you got down there
may cause you more trouble than its worth

Cronic, I was thinking the same thing. Im working on my new sump setup now. Just got to find the right size spray tub. I need somthing about 8 to10 inches deep and about 3 feet by 4 feet, not easy to find. All in all im on the right track thanks to you guys im feeling better about my grow. Once I get the new spray tub in place it will be just a waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom