A good additive to develop clones?

cannilingus

i have started a new cloning techniue. a regular black tray, with lots of bubbles, under rafts. first time, all went great. this time, clones dying, and slimy bottoms. what is the best additive, to keep the wanna be roots, stems, happy, and encourage grouth? thanks.

I saw this somewhere else in the forums:

51VnJbX8zxL.jpg

I bought some but haven't tried it yet. According to one of the comments you're only supposed to use 1/2 cc per gallon, so it should last for a long time.

Nice experiment. :thumb:

Short of knowing a few more things it's too difficult to speculate, and I'd like to as it sounds like a cool problem.

• What's the volume of the tray?
  • Is light reaching the water?
  • What's the temp and is it stable?
  • Have the environmental variables changed considerably between the two attempts?
  • Are the cuttings from the same source?
  • Does the slime have a color?
  • Is there an odor?
  • How long before the problem occurred?
  • Visuals would be a +

Being that rooting is the goal, adding anything with nutrient value can only retard the process and encourage pathogens. They're seeking food... Not knowing where it is. Let them. Although in your case some intervention will be needed.
Some feel that foliar treating with mild nutes and/or vitamins, etc is valuable. When tried, it's only slowed my process.

The Chlorine and chloramine in tap act very well as antiseptics in the early going. It's constituent calcium, magnesium, et al, are all the cutting really needs to begin rooting. Once rooting begins, that's another story altogether as very mild nutrients can then be introduced.

If you're interested: Tap water alone has consistently been the proven performer for me over years.
7.0pH, 165ppm, 75°f, un-adjusted. Cuttings are submerged/soaked in cold tap for 30mins. Cuts at 45°, scarified 1", dipped in liquid rooting compound for 30 secs. Roots in 5-9 days- strain dependent. Once roots have formed I begin with 1/2 strength nutrients, beneficial fungi and bacteria. My cloning is done in a diy aero with no output below 100%. Luckily.
This routine has resulted in excellent uniformity which translates to a nice, even canopy and a more easily managed output.

In my estimation the best additive for clones is time.

very nice advice TIME... people myself included get impatient and think they need something nutes lol if u have prepared ur mother properly ur cloning should be easy ...I plan my mother ...first they get a veg nute for most of its life thn when I'm a week away I feed realy weak veg nutes then next two feeding even strength of npk I notice when plants are dark green there harder to clone

Thanks, but better yet is your advice Cat345longsti. Your point comes before all else and I'm glad you caught my missing it. Mother prep is paramount and best done as you say.
:thumb:

well, i realized i dont need a heat mat, in the house. it feeds nasty things. new trays. fresh water, ph to 6.2. one gallon of water in tray. added 3 ml of 29% h2o2. all new cuttings. been a few days. all are well, and, seeminly happy. i had some pathogens living in the water. the floats are non transparent, so no light getting to water. think i had some excess heat. i did add a couple drops of superthrive, as well. no nutes, until roots appear well. i have some of all my stock in the tray now. i had good results, just putting cuttings into presoaked small pots. and setting them in water with the heat mat going. ive done the root riot thing too, so so. wanted a more consistent way, so went with this dwc tech.

never had a permanant mother plant. i take clones, before they go into bloom, so i have them. same genetics. was told a mother plant is not nessisary. they do take up space. takeing clones as i go, is the way i have allways went. seed plants never seem to do well. their clone offspring, do better, and after a few gens, they rock. seed plants seem so.......generic. hard to put my finger on it. just put four seeds in, for my outdoor. maybe take clones, and use those for the outdoors. perhaps just toss the seed plants, after i have cuttings going from them.

i use a big jar that i cure my cannabis with tape it up to block light pop a fish bubbler in there. I put a few drops of root stim from GH takes two weeks and there roots

IMG_55377.JPG

cannilingus, Glad you've got a handle on it and things are going well. Perhaps more importantly, you found the likely cause. I'd have done the same w/H2O2. Or begin again.

Strictly indoor seasonal here and can't take advantage of your nice perpetual regimen.

Best luck on your grow!

Serpent, You win! Easy, cheap, happy. :thumb:

same idea. dwc. some streins are easier than others. some are just plain near impossible. i used to have a medi crop. great smoke. shitty rooters.

thats because cuttings dont do well with N. the darker green, the more n is in it. my current veg nute, is nutriculture 20-20-20. this cant help. lol.

that would make sense. I have a great nute, for veg. but, not for cloning. lol. some strains are great cloners, tho. I was using 20-20-20. and, very dark green foliage. perhaps I will feed them only after I take clones, and put them into bloom.

Back
Top Bottom