A Grandmother with Multiple Sclerosis by 'Grandma'

Julie Gardener

A Grandmother with Multiple Sclerosis by 'Grandma'​

First of all, I'd like to say that I am a grandmother of two, and that is the only reason I choose to withhold my name. There is such a stigma on the use of weed that I choose to protect my family.

Yes I call it weed. I'm a smoker from way back, but for the last 10 years had not partaken. A year and a half ago I became very ill and was diagnosed with MS. I was unable to do hardly anything. Today I'm back to work and being the active person that I used to be. They have me on medication to keep it from getting worse, but it makes me very sick on the days I have the shots. And it does nothing for loss of appetite, muscle cramps, insomnia, stress, and exhaustion. When I used to smoke to get high it seemed to make me very tired and strung out, but now it allows me to accomplish many of my everyday tasks. I've also quit taking my antidepressants, which had all kinds of side effects, one of which was decreased sex drive. Weed helps me to enjoy the relationship with my husband that we had before I became ill. We both worry about the law, and what our friends and neighbors will think if I ever get busted.

That's not fair to my family or me. Why can I not have the one thing, out of the many the doctors prescribe), that actually makes my quality of life better?

I am forced to be an outlaw from those who play god in our land, just because I want me to be me, not just for myself, but all those people in my life I hold so dear.

Eventually, I will be in a wheelchair without the ability to function or communicate, I still have some of my life to live and love to give, so why must I sit and be anonymous about the one thing that makes life bearable, and allows me to live it in the fashion that I enjoyed while in good health?

Source: Comments and Observations

Back
Top Bottom