A little about myself Oldergrower

!st off I live in Oregon where as of July 1st this year recreational marijuana became legal, which I may add in my own humble opinion is about freaking time. I started smoking marijuana in 1973 and did my first grow in 1975 with the help of a friend. Needless to say it was not the quality of what is available today. I continued to smoke and grow unit the mid 80s when I got married and started a career which did pre-employment drug testing and randoms. With a new wife and career on the line and the hopes of one day starting a family I stopped growing and smoking, not because I wanted to but I felt I had no other viable option. By the time Oregon passed medical marijuana I had hoped that perhaps the industry I was in would take it off the list of drugs tested but they did not, then this July when it passed for recreational use I thought for sure they would drop it off the list. They have not and refuse to saying that it is still a class 1 drug according to the Federal Goverment. I have 7 more years till I can retire and while still working in the same industry I am presently seeking employment elsewhere in an industry that does not require random drug testing for marijuana. I started growing again since the state of Oregon allows 4 plants per household. I have 1 Mango, 1 Lemon Sour Diesel, 1 Power Wreck and 1 Harlequin strains. I knew the old school way I use to grow would work but figured there were better more efficient ways to grow so I started researching what was available. To be honest, it was very confusing at first and I got all kinds of mixed information, but after talking with a few medical growers here in Oregon I have decided to start with soil in 5 gallon pots in a a 4x8 grow tent. I vegged with flourescent t-5 using 2 fixtures with 8 lamps each. For flower I am planning on using a LED fixture that is not on the sponsors list but after researching LEDs I feel that they will do the job, the main reason I pick this LED was the 5 year warranty and they are American made which creates a job for a fellow American. I am attempting to use the SCROG method, new to me but makes sense to me that it should increase the quality and yield. As soon as I get the hang of posting and how to download pictures I will.
My wife thinks I am nuts for growing since I can not smoke or use it in any way, but i prefer to think of it as therapy. My son can smoke it, since he is 26 and has a bad back from his military service. And who knows maybe one day in the near future either the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers will get with the rest of the country and realize that marijuana is not near as bad as alcohol and stop drug testing for it, or I will find a new job in a new industry.

Oh and for the record, my screen name really does describe me for what I am.. an Older grower

Being old and non computer savy it may take a bit but as soon as Junior shows me how to figure it out, I will be all over it. My neighbor has been a Medical grower for around 14 years now and has been my inspiration to get back into growing and smoking. He is 74 now and back when he 1st start using it for medical he was a mess, had to use a walker, could barely hold a hammer in his hand. Now he goes to the gym 4 times a week for yoga and cardio and is in great shape. He medicates with marijuana and I medicate with pharmaceuticals because of my work. Hell he is in better shape then me and i am 19 years younger then he is. That is just wrong.

I started using for the 1st time about 6 months ago and am only 10 years younger than you LOL

I started to see if I could find a better alternative to pharmaceuticals for arthritis and nerve pain as the pharms were causing me other issues and were only half effective. A year ago, I could hardly use a hammer for more than a short duration (been a carpenter most of my life). Now I am more active, not pain free but definitely feel better than I have for years, the issues with the pharms are getting better and I am losing weight LOL I gained about 40lbs over the past 4 years

Funny how as we get older the pain seems to get worse and worse. 10 years ago I was still surfing and was very active. Now I can barely clean the chicken coop before my joints start killing me. I am an electrician by trade and the work I do makes it worse. By the end of the day I hurt so bad I just want to sit and not move so the pain will stop. I was laid off for 7 months and smoked the 1st 5 months for pain and it helped dramatically but had to stop so I would be clean in order to get a new job that will continue to make me feel worse. Gota love this crazy world we live in.

Welcome older, from another old grower in Oregon! We may be old, but we can still grow ... and rock. It just takes a little longer now. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom